• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Vamphuntr said:
It's Nintendo so it's going to be some proprietary bullshit. I predict they will also use an awkward disc format.
Nintendo has always hated discs and memory cards are becoming much cheaper these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went crazy and did something like having memory cards for games instead of discs.

Orayn

Kaizer said:
Sweet jesus, this controller sounds like a Frankenstein monstrosity. I really can't picture at all what this is going to look like. With each edit, it just gets more and more ridiculous.
It's not that bad, really.
XeU4T.jpg

That's an Archos 7 tablet. Imagine that thing, with one half of an Xbox 360 controller on either side. It would certainly be a hefty device, but far from a monstrosity.

Foil

I'll wait for E3, too many odd bits of info floating around now. Touch screens are awful for gaming in my opinion so I'll just wait and see how they use it. Really hope this thing has a lot more than 512MB, that's pathetic even on current platforms.

D-Pad said:
If Sony and Microsoft are sticking to the ten year cycle thing then next gen is still some ways off. Nintendo is now catching up and then come next gen everyone will be moving up together, yesno? :p

10 years means on the market, not before a new platform releases... They'll continue to support 360/PS3 even when new platforms release.

M3d10n

I always wanted to see how a R700 would fare in a console. Console GPUs are unhindered by lots of hardware bottlenecks that exist in PCs (like the PCIe BUS) and can be squeezed far harder.

Also, people should not compare a PC R700 against the PS3 RSX and the 360 Xenos. Compare it against the PC equivalents: the ATI X1800 and GeForce 7800 to get an idea of the possible performance gap.

Huff

Banned
D-Pad said:
If Sony and Microsoft are sticking to the ten year cycle thing then next gen is still some ways off. Nintendo is now catching up and then come next gen everyone will be moving up together, yesno? :p

Ten year doesn't mean that they can't have a new system out along side the old system (ala PS2 and PS3).

Nintendo is forcing their hand. New systems out in 2013.

Luthos

The LCD screen on the controller just seems silly. I fail to see what benefit that would give me. I hope it's not true, because it seems Nintendo adopted the mindset of doing something new for the sake of doing something new.

Big One

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
We've never had a situation where so much has leaked about a new Nintendo system before, let alone its key features which Nintendo always hold very close to their chest.

Half the rumours are contradictory, others like the game-streaming can't be implemented well, and things like a massive touchscreen have practical problems for little gain. I'm taking it all with a massive pinch of salt at the moment, its like the Revolution speculation gone mad.
3DS pretty much leaked before it was announced

Orayn

Original-Blue said:
Nintendo has always hated discs and memory cards are becoming much cheaper these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went crazy and did something like having memory cards for games instead of discs.
Simply not going to happen. Console games really do need the storage space, and discs are tens of times cheaper than flash for the same amount of storage.

apana

Orayn said:
It's not that bad, really.
XeU4T.jpg

That's an Archos 7 tablet. Imagine that thing, with one half of an Xbox 360 controller on either side. It would certainly be a hefty device, but far from a monstrosity.

How would it perform motion and pointing?

D-Pad

Majine said:
Uh no, the 10 year lifecycle doesnt mean no new console during that timeframe. PS4 and Nextbox are both prolly approaching, tho Nintendo will be out first.
What does it mean, then? I assumed they (the ten year life cycle idealists) were talking about the generation. Instead of pushing a console out every five years it lasts for ten, am I mistaken?

Edit - Type too slow. So everyone's basically talking about the 'PS2 effect'. Gotcha.

KAL2006

Banned
Wii 2 will have superior multiplatform games

Battlefield 3
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Witcher 2
GTA5

All these games would really benefit from the extra power

Rich!

Big One said:

Not really. We knew a new handheld was coming and that it'd be powerful, but the first we heard of the console and of the 3D display was Nintendo's absolutely out of the blue press release, which was considered to be designed to counter such leaks.

Orayn

apana said:
How would it perform motion and pointing?
That would probably be relegated to another controller, honestly. Unless the controller "halves" could be used independently and just docked with the tablet, there really wouldn't be any way to implement decent pointing or motion control beyond SixAxis type stuff.

Majine

Banned
D-Pad said:
What does it mean, then? I assumed they (the ten year life cycle idealists) were talking about the generation. Instead of pushing a console out every five years it lasts for ten, am I mistaken?
They dont replace the consoles, they keep both on the market and slowly fade out the older one. PS2 is still out there.

snackman

Banned
All I know is that the next Xbox will have better graphics than this and maybe keep the lead again. It will be cool to see the next Wii I guess but well have to wait.

KAL2006

Banned
Orayn said:
That would probably be relegated to another controller, honestly. Unless the controller parts docked with the tablet, there really wouldn't be any way to implement decent pointing or motion control beyond SixAxis type stuff.

The Wii controller will be compatible, so motion controls can still happen, like I said many time I reckon Wii 2 will come with the standard WiiMote+ we all know as well as the new traditonal controller with the touchscreen

apana

Orayn said:
That would probably be relegated to another controller, honestly. Unless the controller parts docked with the tablet, there really wouldn't be any way to implement decent pointing or motion control beyond SixAxis type stuff.

So after the big motion control revolution, it's gonna be put to the side for what is essentially an advanced form of the standard controller? Putting two controllers in a box will be costly. Another strange thing is that Edge said "better than Move".

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Big One said:

Only the use of a 3D screen, due to their partnership with Sharp, and Nintendo immediately took control of the situation themselves with a press-release. It's notable they haven't done anything in response to this avalanche of 'information' so far.

Never has so much flowed from 'sources' (ie developers) before, I don't see why this would have suddenly changed.

Development of the 3DS was kept ultra-secret if you remember what the 3rd parties who were allowed to see it said. And no one outside Nintendo even saw the remote until the TGS unveiling. All of a sudden Nintendo is flinging full-fledged dev kits around the world with fully working controllers before announcing it all properly?

Nah.

antonz

snackman said:
All I know is that the next Xbox will have better graphics than this and maybe keep the lead again. It will be cool to see the next Wii I guess but well have to wait.
If the Wii 2 can do 1080p at 60 FPS as a standard the graphics wont really matter that much. Its only the super diehards who will see the difference. If the Wii 2 gets a 4870 or something it will be close enough to whatever the others do to stay in the fight

It's difficult for me to fit together 6" tablet controller, 360+ specs, pursuing the western hardcore gamer, and "Nintendo is doing this one right. It's not a gimmick like the Wii." There's also the super secret surprise that the French site is reporting. I'm not sure how I feel about all this but at the very least, I am quite eager to see it.

Orayn

KAL2006 said:

Battlefield 3
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Witcher 2
GTA5

See, if the Wii successor has the third party support and the hardware to support games like this, it could easily lead the charge into the next generation, much like the PS2.

J-Rock

Banned
snackman said:

Here they come!

ombz

KAL2006 said:

Battlefield 3
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Witcher 2
GTA5

Until Sony and Microsoft update their systems

KAL2006

Banned
apana said:
So after the big motion control revolution, it's gonna be put to the side for what is essentially an advanced form of the standard controller? Putting two controllers in a box will be costly. Another strange thing is that Edge said "better than Move".

Who said Motion controllers have to be relegated, if a Wiimote comes with the next controller out of the box then motion is still relevant, and it would appeal to casuals to keep the same control they know and love, having 2 controllers may be a bit constly but if they reuse the same WiiMote then they are already saving money. The traditional controller is there because of the demand for a traditional controller from the 3rd party developers.

Orayn

apana said:
Docking half-controllers are really the only possibility, then, because a six inch tablet will not work as a motion control input device.

apana

Hero said:
Alright. I've decided to go for a 560 ti since Newegg is having a 25 off first customers until midnight tonight.

What brand should I get?

Sparkle? Galaxy? Gigabyte? PNY? EVGA? ASUS? MSi?

My vote is for Sparkle.

threenote

Banned
I think this sounds ridiculous. Nintendo just wants to create something radically new for all their systems just to evoke a "wow" from consumers; I'd prefer something more practical and normal.

Sipowicz

Banned
this sounds cool as fuck. goofy as fuck but cool as fuck. nintendo are at their best when they are experimenting. the wii/gc backward compatibility alone will make this a day one purchase for me

but it's important to be realistic. this isn't going to have anything approaching a decent online system and third party support will be terrible. expect the usual slew of ubisoft shovelware and EA's heinous, babified bullshit .nintendo lacks the wherewithal, image, portfolio and third party relations to capture the "bro gamer"

it's very important that nintendo continues to innovate. the 3DS is apparently nintendo's attempt to push the visual envelope and it pales next to the NGP and a one year old cellphone. it's the least innovative device they've ever released and it is a regressive, archaic abomination of a system. it demonstrates perfectly what happens when nintendo rests on its laurels

richisawesome said:
Go play a dreamcast and then get back to me.
I have, and it was an akward gimmick there too that many games didn't bother with.

With 40-50 inches worth of screenspace to use, why would I want to relocate my UI somewhere else where it's not in my immediate view?

A screen on a controller seems like a big nono either way.
Those things get dropped all the time , how'd rumble work together with a touchscreen?
Battery life would be awful, button placement could suffer.
Price goes through the roof.

I've always had 3-4 controllers for my consoles (well not this gen, most games don't even have splitscreen anymore) and I'm not going to 'invest' 4x 100 dollars or more to play with my friends, I'll just stick to ps2 then for some gaming nights.

KAL2006

Banned
ombz said:
Until Sony and Microsoft update their systems

Yes, but from what we know MS and Sony won't have there consoles ready for 2012, by then Battlefield 3, Skyrim, GTA5 will be old and we will be looking forward to Battlefield 4 and GTA6.

Deku

Banned
I kept digging but can't find the post where I guess that the Wii successor could come with a screen included.

Here's another post with a similar riff to my now missing 'screen' included with console speculation.

GC BC is going to be there if there is Wii BC, it will need a disc drive and the same chipset that will run both Wii and GC.

GC specific ports and memory card ports might disappear though, so there may have to be a workaround or adapters required.

I still postulate Wii2 is going to be a bridge device between their console and portable games with support for DS and 3DS titles as well in a universal card slot.

I really don't them doing Wii with more gyros or suddenly going hardcore graphics and HD as helping them in any way.

I can guess what this device is and it's not just a successor on a five year cycle, but it will be a Nintendo controlled portal in your room. They will incrementally upgrade tech as needed but everything will go full BC from here on out. The machine will deliver content to the controllers which will become psudo portable devices. Likely will not be powerful enough to run anything beyond N64 level visuals.

The 3DS will factor into this as the high end portable device that is not only compatible with all the virtual content the Wii Plus will be streaming but it will also have its own library.

If the speculation are somewhat close, this all makes sense. Nintendo isn't only sidestepping the competition, they're doing something that only they can do. Deliver 25 odd years of games. Third parties benefit as their back catalog is sold with no costs to them. Pure money. Nintendo instantly has thousands and thousands of bite sized games.

It's brilliant.

threenote said:
I think this sounds ridiculous. Nintendo just wants to create something radically new for all their systems just to evoke a "wow" from consumers; I'd prefer something more practical and normal.

People don't want practical and normal, though.
They want new and shiny and innovative.

evangd007

DECK'ARD said:
Only the use of a 3D screen, due to their partnership with Sharp, and Nintendo immediately took control of the situation themselves with a press-release. It's notable they haven't done anything in response to this avalanche of 'information' so far.

Never has so much flowed from 'sources' (ie developers) before, I don't see why this would have suddenly changed.

Development of the 3DS was kept ultra-secret if you remember what the 3rd parties who were allowed to see it said. And no one outside Nintendo even saw the remote until the TGS unveiling. All of a sudden Nintendo is flinging full-fledged dev kits around the world with fully working controllers before announcing it all properly?

Nah.

Nintendo right now is regretting letting those loudmouth westerners into the early dev kit club.

apana

KAL2006 said:
Who said Motion controllers have to be relegated, if a Wiimote comes with the next controller out of the box then motion is still relevant, and it would appeal to casuals to keep the same control they know and love, having 2 controllers may be a bit constly but if they reuse the same WiiMote then they are already saving money. The traditional controller is there because of the demand for a traditional controller from the 3rd party developers.

Wii Mote+Nunchuk=$20 to produce? If so that's a big chunk of profit.

Orayn said:
Docking half-controllers are really the only possibility, then, because a six inch tablet will not work as a motion control input device.

Well, it can actually, much as the 3DS and iPad already demonstrate. You're right in that it can't be used in the same manner as say, Wii Sports.

I do think docking controllers would make sense and might be what Nintendo has in mind.

This has probably been posted already since the article originated from this morning, but I was a bit surprised to see a Wii 2 article pop up on CNN. There is no new info in here, and they really don't even comment on the tech/controller speculation, but it's a bit of a reminder of how much an impact the Wii had when it first launched. Enough for the article to make CNN's front page at least.

The real question will be if they can top their comedy masterpiece of a review (3DS) when this finally comes out.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/04/15/nintendo.wii.2.mashable/index.html?hpt=T2

Orayn

threenote said:
Nintendo just doesn't do practical and normal with any degree of consistency.

antonz

evangd007 said:
Nintendo right now is regretting letting those loudmouth westerners into the early dev kit club.
They will forgive Ubisoft for opening their mouth if it leads to another successful platform.

I can say with 99.9% certainty that its people at Ubisoft misbehaving

ombz

Orayn said:
Won't matter. If system sells well and the big publishers are really on board, I can't see them abandoning it.
I hope you're right. I'm sure they won't like higher production costs too.

Sipowicz said:
it's very important that nintendo continues to innovate. the 3DS is apparently nintendo's attempt to push the visual envelope and it pales next to the NGP and a one year old cellphone. it's the least innovative device they've ever released and it is a regressive, archaic abomination of a system. it demonstrates perfectly what happens when nintendo rests on its laurels

Besides shoulder buttons, the Super Nintendo didn't innovate either. I'd argue the 3DS does substantially more than the Super did from an innovation perspective.

J-Rock

Banned
threenote said:

Here they come!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sounds like they are going for an all-in-one solution for the Wii 2 controller.

A controller that allows for both motion and traditional controls (two triggers and maybe two sticks as well?) without having to change its orientation like the current Wii mote.

The HD screen sounds too big to fit on something suitable for motion gaming tho. And it's also not cheap.

Can't wait for the unveil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom