• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
jj984jj said:
Isn't the screen on most of these mockups too small?

Significantly too small. This thing, if true to the descriptions in the rumors, will be a brick. Think bigger than the NGP which is already a monster.

J-Rock

Banned
I hope there is a laser that shoots out of the controller every time someone calls themselves "hardcore" and slices their head off.

IchigoSharingan said:
Not too worried about the RAM, since the 4xxx Radeon will probably have plenty of RAM with it.

Still......going from 90nm to 55nm is a nice big step, and any Nintendo gamer will definitely feel the jump. The 870 would be great and so the PowerPC (yuck, Nintendo, why did you go with this?) would barely avoid bottle-necking the GPU.

Get me some Mario Galaxy with 8x MS AA on that bitch.

Power%20Consumption.png

power comparison for speculation

My guess is it's actually a 6000/7000 series GPU from an architecture standpoint, but has the approximate power of whatever card they are listed.

Actually my guess is that rumor was bullshit, but there you have it. That's one way to rationalize it.

Quasar

agrajag said:
What does "hd" mean in regards to a 6" screen? Surely people aren't expecting such a small screen to have as many pixels crammed in there as their TV set? It's gotta scale down, right?

Thats hard to say given how thorough the term hd has been ruined.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Quasar said:
But frankly I see that as a software issue. Put out some software thats awesome and both hardware and software sales explode.
Well, their software hasn't been able to fix their decline for quite a few years now and was never able to save the GameCube, so either they're not very good at making system saving software, or there is in fact a hardware saturation point they are reaching.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Quasar said:
I have to say I have trouble beliving all this.

Firstly why would nintendo want to distract from year of the 3DS? And anyway the Wii is still way ahead.
Nintendo released both the Gameboy Advance and the Gamecube in 2001. Unlike the 3DS launch, which I would classify as very early in the year, the GBA came out in June and the GC in November.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hellraizah said:
xfJJI.jpg

Missed you soooooooooooo much.

Fixed.

Although Ring and Echoes were pretty good, they just weren't the same... The less said about the My Life games and Crystal Bearers, the better.

antispin

AceBandage said:
Except that we're talking about the GPU alone costing nearly $300!
I'm sorry, but I didn't buy one $600 console, and I won't start now just because Epic releases a new engine that's insane.

More than cost, the power draw of such a setup will keep Sony/MS away.

One thing to underline is that the Nintendo GPU is rumoured to be Shader v4.1, which is pretty much DX10 class. I expect PS4/X720 to support at least DX11 specs.

Quasar said:
But frankly I see that as a software issue. Put out some software thats awesome and both hardware and software sales explode.
The wii's fantastic success was never really about the games, at least long term. Note this does not mean it doesn't have fantastic games.

apana

Nirolak said:
Well, their software hasn't been able to fix their decline for quite a few years now and was never able to save the GameCube, so either they're not very good at making system saving software, or there is in fact a hardware saturation point they are reaching.

What? The Wii is running entirely on Nintendo system selling software. The reason they are forced to upgrade to Wii 2 is because they can make a lot of great games but still need third party to cover the gaps.

Nirolak said:

It's a bit of both.
Ultimately, it's third parties completely ignoring Nintendo consoles.
On the Cube, it was the late launch and the lack of anything compelling to sell the console which drove developers away.
On the Wii, it was the weaker hardware.

If the N6 can deliver on both of those (which rumors suggest is what is happening) then you should see better third party support, which is key to long term hardware growth.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AceBandage said:
I reeeeaaly don't see MS launching a new console next year. At all. Especially with Kinect just out.
They don't have to. If they release their next system in 2013 and it's significantly more powerful than the 360/PS3/WiiHD then they will make Nintendo's system irrelevant to third party support. Sony will most certainly follow suit and the WiiHD third party support will essentially be killed right after the launch window games are released. If the WiiHD is as low powered as some are saying, all Sony and Microsoft would have to do is give specs to some key third parties in the near future and you'd see WiiHD support shrivel up.

brochiller said:
Anybody else think Project Cafe may refer to a focus on the social aspects of gaming? I mean people often go to cafes to go and meet up with their friends and such, maybe that's what they're getting at with the codename. Perhaps a hint at better online functionality.
I think that's a great conclusion, especially when taken into consideration Nintendo's stance on gaming multiplayer in the same room.

Quasar said:
Thats hard to say given how thorough the term hd has been ruined.

Technically HD would mean at least a 720p resolution. This probably isn't the case though, and the original source probably meant something like "high resolution" screen. Packing a true HD screen would be very expensive.

Carlisle

Andrex said:
Fixed.

Although Ring and Echoes were pretty good, they just weren't the same... The less said about the My Life games and Crystal Bearers, the better.
Except MLaaK was fantastic.

I always wanted to play FFCC with 4 GBAs. Never had enough interested people with GBAs though :(

statham

I agree with the other poster that said if this is just ps3/xbox level upgrade I will still be happy. RDR on xbox looks amazing and sometimes can't believe the 360 can push out those graphics, Imagine zelda or mario with that level of graphics not real life like of course but in nintendos art style. would be amazing. and it sounds likes its a small bump up from 360, which is even better. Only way I wouldn't get this is if PS4, Xbox 1080 is soon to be released.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
TekkenMaster said:
is there any news on whether Skyward Sword is delayed for Wii 2?
People, let's not get ahead of ourselves. SS should release this year. I don't think Wii 2 will make it until holiday 2012.

The Wii still hasn't gotten a Zelda on its own. SS will be the big swan song, with perhaps some smaller (but still big) games in early 2012.

TekkenMaster said:
is there any news on whether Skyward Sword is delayed for Wii 2?

None, and it's unlikely. It wouldn't be just a simple port over like with TP.
Really, what should happen is that the N6 can emulate Wii games at a higher resolution and add in AA, like Dolphin.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
agrajag said:
What does "hd" mean in regards to a 6" screen? Surely people aren't expecting such a small screen to have as many pixels crammed in there as their TV set? It's gotta scale down, right?

Most likely rumors being mixed up/misunderstood. The console probably outputs HD (720p and higher), but the screen on the controller is most likely 480 like similarly sized tablets.

Maybe.

Persona7 said:
I wonder if Nintendos core development teams will have any issues relating to making the jump to HD game development.
I doubt it. They just need to make good games like galaxy and nsmb and HD the shit out of them. People are doign it already with dolphin. Just imagine what they can do working from the ground up with higher res assets.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AceBandage said:
None, and it's unlikely. It wouldn't be just a simple port over like with TP.
Really, what should happen is that the N6 can emulate Wii games at a higher resolution and add in AA, like Dolphin.
Wouldn't this require an extremely powerful system?
I know nothing about this kind of stuff, but I seem to remember this being a pipe dream.

MadmanUK

There better be some physical ABXY buttons to go along with those sticks n triggers. I love my iphone games but they are just that.

Fantastical said:
I know nothing about this kind of stuff, but I seem to remember this being a pipe dream.

Not if you know the architecture of the system inside and out... IE. are Nintendo.

agrajag

Banned
Tempy said:
Most likely rumors being mixed up/misunderstood. The console probably outputs HD (720p and higher), but the screen on the controller is most likely 480 like similarly sized tablets.

Maybe.

I think so too, but my point is, 480 is a really high resolution for a six inch screen. It would look equivalent to what 720p looks on a big screen, if not sharper. So why all the scoffing at a "sub-hd controller screen?"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
apana said:
What? The Wii is running entirely on Nintendo system selling software. The reason they are forced to upgrade to Wii 2 is because they can make a lot of great games but still need third party to cover the gaps.
Right, that's my point.

It is not logically a first party software issue like Quasar suggested.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
hosannainexcelsis said:
No, and it won't be. Skyward Sword (and Dragon Quest X, just to get that out of the way) will be exclusive to the current Wii. I'd bet money on it.
I think Dragon Quest X may get exclusive features on Wii 2 or something. It just seems so weird to release DQ on Wii when Wii 2 is just around the corner (although, I know SE wants a solid install base for their major franchises, but I still feel like it would be a missed opportunity to not somehow take advantage of the new system).

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I also wonder about the weight of a controller with a 6-inch screen plus battery. Btw, are there any devices with a screen that large that doesn't use glass for a surface?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jarmel said:
The more I read this, the more ridiculous and stupid it sounds. I will not be using a tablet controller for any sort of gaming if there aren't buttons somewhere, period. Also the fact that it's barely more powerful than the 360 is utterly sad.

The word significant means barely now?

smh juniors

Fantastical said:

Yes it would, so don't count on that. Especially since Nintendo could re-release the games in HD and make oodles off of them.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AceBandage said:
Not if you know the architecture of the system inside and out... IE. are Nintendo.
Ah, I see. I'm too afraid to hope for something like this though. It would be too perfect. Resident Evil 4 would definitely see another playthrough.

brochiller said:
Yes it would, so don't count on that. Especially since Nintendo could re-release the games in HD and make oodles off of them.
Probably more likely to happen.

Or perhaps Nintendo could release a patch for an HD upgrade.
I'M CRAZY AND DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M EVEN SAYING ANYMORE!

HolyCheck said:
The word significant means barely now?

smh juniors
Depends on what section of the rollercoaster you're on. It's gone from super more powerful to barely better and everywhere in between today fairly regularly.

Fantastical said:
I think Dragon Quest X may get exclusive features on Wii 2 or something. It just seems so weird to release DQ on Wii when Wii 2 is just around the corner (although, I know SE wants a solid install base for their major franchises, but I still feel like it would be a missed opportunity to not somehow take advantage of the new system).

Release of Playstation 2: March 4, 2000
Release of Dragon Quest VII for Playstation 1: August 26, 2000

It's not going to happen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Medalion said:
GAF servers crashed earlier today due to speculation... what will it be like for the actual E3 Nintendo conference? :O :O :O
They crashed due to a file configuration change actually.

Chances are good that our servers will hold up under load with the fixes though.

Fantastical said:

Yes and no. Dolphin was essentially reverse engineered by people who have no real intimate knowledge of the architecture. Nintendo knows it inside out, and thus will be in a far better position to write an emulator for it. If they wish to, they can also design the hardware with a few extra doodads to aide in emulation. Having a powerful system is indeed beneficial for emulation, since more power means you can get away with a sloppier emulator.

carlo6529

elrechazao said:
Depends on what section of the rollercoaster you're on. It's gone from super more powerful to barely better and everywhere in between today fairly regularly.

Which proves right there that a lot of the shit we are reading about is bull.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
brochiller said:
If it can emulate Wii games at any fashion, then it can render them in HD resolutions. ANd the rumors state BC with Wii games.

antonz

elrechazao said:
It really is just an issue of odd reporting. As mentioned the french site gives 2 different levels of power for the system. A Marginal CPU upgrade but a GPU upgrade thats at least twice as strong as the 360/PS3.

Clearly doubling the power of the 360 hardly meets the report of basically identical. The R700 Family can be anywhere from 2x-10x the power of the 360/PS3

Medalion said:
GAF servers crashed earlier today due to speculation... what will it be like for the actual E3 Nintendo conference? :O :O :O

You mean, "what will it be like during all of E3?" If you've never been on GAF during E3, then prepare thyself...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Medalion said:
E3 is going to be SUPPPERRR interesting this year. Nintendo with 3DS/Wii 2 (I'm guessing extremely) early info, Sony with NGP, and Microsoft with... more games I guess? (not trying to downplay Microsoft's potentially awesome conference, just nothing that's screaming out at me).

It would be very interesting if all three companies begin showing off their next consoles. I don't think Sony/MS are ready for that yet, though. Perhaps sometime between the two E3's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom