• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
HolyCheck said:
The word significant means barely now?

smh juniors
I think he's referring to the actual specs leaked, assuming they are in the expected range, they are not that much stronger than 360. They could go higher up on the 4000 line though I guess, not sure.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
hosannainexcelsis said:
Release of Playstation 2: March 4, 2000
Release of Dragon Quest VII for Playstation 1: August 26, 2000

It's not going to happen.
I can dream. You can't take that away from me.

Isn't the Wii doing a lot worse than the PS1 was doing in both the software and hardware areas, though (comparatively)? I feel like it's a lot different than the scenario of PS1/PS2. Not that the Wii is doing horrible, but it probably doesn't have the same amount of luster as Square Enix was predicting it to have this far into its life.

DQ will sell regardless, but the point still remains.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fantastical said:

Isn't the Wii doing a lot worse than the PS1 was doing in both the software and hardware areas, though (comparatively)? I feel like it's a lot different than the scenario of PS1/PS2. Not that the Wii is doing horrible, but it probably doesn't have the same amount of luster as Square Enix was predicting it to have this far into its life.

Has the Wii has outsold the PS1 at that point in its life? Must be pretty close comparatively.

antonz

Its worth mentioning too that the French site does not say these are the specs. They say Probably will be an R700. Probably will be 4.1 Shaders. the whole thing shouts to me of evolving devkits.

They also state they have no idea how much ram it has but it would be "logical to be at least 512mb"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I still cant wrap my head around how having a single touch tablet on the controller would be a good idea at all.

Instro

Nirolak said:
They crashed due to a file configuration change actually.

Chances are good that our servers will hold up under load with the fixes though.

You say that now, but we will find a way to break that shit during E3.

Gritesh

While I am excited to say the least to see what new Hardware the Nintendo team is going to bring to the table, I don't see the company pulling a complete 180 and going after the hardcore market. They are just too involved with the casual/family orientated groups and with all the money and tech they have dumped into that, it just doesn't make sense to me to have them abandon it all for...Mario HD?

I don't know, but I am super stoked to see what they have.

Please god let there be a Wave Race HD!

Branduil

EatChildren said:
I still cant wrap my head around how having a single touch tablet on the controller would be a good idea at all.
I feel like sites are conflating what they know with their ideas about a Nintendo/Apple rivalry.

I can't imagine that the touchscreen is just an iPad clone attached to a controller.

artwalknoon said:
Significantly too small. This thing, if true to the descriptions in the rumors, will be a brick. Think bigger than the NGP which is already a monster.

Only assuming the screen doesn't run underneath the face buttons, which I could see as being a distinct possibility

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jarmel said:
Or if you look at the rumored specs, you would see that if it's true then indeed it is barely more powerful.

So now we're choosing one rumor over another? Seems awfully arbitrary.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
EatChildren said:
I have a feeling it's going to end up being used brilliantly by Nintendo and 95% of other devs as a generic HUD/inventory screen.

I'm open to new ideas. I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt here. But I just don't see how on earth this is gonna work out well. We'll have to wait and see.

Jarmel

Banned
Andrex said:
So now we're choosing one rumor over another? Seems awfully arbitrary.

Well considering that is the most detailed rumor to go on so far and that they were accurate about NGP, I sure as hell don't see why not.

Medalion

Banned
Gritesh said:
While I am excited to say the least to see what new Hardware the Nintendo team is going to bring to the table, I don't see the company pulling a complete 180 and going after the hardcore market. They are just too involved with the casual/family orientated groups and with all the money and tech they have dumped into that, it just doesn't make sense to me to have them abandon it all for...Mario HD?

I don't know, but I am super stoked to see what they have.

Please god let there be a Wave Race HD!
They won't abandon the casual market... Nintendo has always been the kind of company who courts everybody... the are the disney of the gaming world.

Jarmel said:
Or if you look at the rumored specs, you would see that if it's true then indeed it is barely more powerful.
Hey junior, You really don't know anything about hardware generations do you?. Just because the specs LOOK similar does not mean that they ARE similar. The R700 GPU is 3 generations ahead of the R500 GPU. Also I am fairly certain that the RAM used in project cafe will have the data transfer speed to match the GPU and so will the power PC cpu, which is certain to not only be more power efficient, but also be faster. If you really want to argue hardware specs, go some where else because this place already has enough ignorant fanboy banter as it is.

robor

cordonbleu said:
I do not however for one second believe that this indicates a death to the Wii brand, more I think Nintendo could use the Wii name to augment the new system. Something akin to the following could be possible.

NINTENDO 6 with Wii Plus

N6 with Wii Plus

ARMAGEDDON with Wii Plus

by doing so, huge gaming brands such as Wii Sports, Fit, Play etc will continue without losing what is arguably the biggest defining aspect of their name, people know what Wii means, they know that in Wii Sports they are moving, Wii IS motion controlling. But by augmenting the name with the Wii brand rather then flat out labeling it that, all consumers should assume that the NINTENDO 6 or whatever elses it is called, is not ONLY motion gaming.

I cant see the system launching this year, I'd anticipate an early to mid 2012 launch, so as to allow the development community, especially the western one, to prepare more thoroughly and with hopefully more thought and polish then usual.

What a fascinating proposal. I think you might be onto something here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
chubigans said:
I have a feeling it's going to end up being used brilliantly by Nintendo and 95% of other devs as a generic HUD/inventory screen.

I'm open to new ideas. I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt here. But I just don't see how on earth this is gonna work out well. We'll have to wait and see.

This is how I feel. I know whatever it is it will be something Nintendo, at least, will use well. The rumour mongering just paints an obscure picture that I'm struggling to grasp.

Mind you, a dual analogue screen controller would piss me off. I love the pointer and all that, and dont want it to go anywhere.

Gritesh

EatChildren said:
This is how I feel. I know whatever it is it will be something Nintendo, at least, will use well. The rumour mongering just paints an obscure picture that I'm struggling to grasp.

Mind you, a dual analogue screen controller would piss me off. I love the pointer and all that, and dont want it to go anywhere.

Nintendo IP's are so good though, we bought a Wii for First Party IP's and that's all we ever played on it.

There is something about Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Mario that just sticks, even after all these years!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Jarmel said:
Well considering that is the most detailed rumor to go on so far and that they were accurate about NGP, I sure as hell don't see why not.
But what details we have? At least 512MB of RAM? That doesn't sound very detailed at all. 3 Core CPU based on the 360's? What, is exactly the same? Can't be, since MS owns that design. GPU based on the R700 family? That family covers an order of magnitude of difference. But as I have pointed out, that alone hits very heavily as having a considerably better GPU than the 360.

Fantastical said:

No matter how unhealthy the Wii market is in Japan, this is all that matters.

User Name Here said:
"The R700 is the Radeon 4000 HD series."

lol, if that's true, it will be outdated on release.

Capture the hardcore market my ass.

It saddens me that the hardcore market is seemingly defined by a system's graphical capitalizes and not its games.

chubigans said:

What gives you that impression, given how lazily Nintendo has used the Wii controller? I'm not expecting much

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I will throw a Wii at Reggie's Mercedes if the face buttons end up being absorbed into the touch screen. I don't care how many triggers are on this thing.

PhoenixDark said:
What gives you that impression, given how lazily Nintendo has used the Wii controller? I'm not expecting much
I dunno, at least the new WarioWare will be awesome on that thing for sure.

Gritesh

Nintendo's Strong points have never really been focused on their graphics, it's in their games that they find magic.

The new Donkey Kong for the Wii isn't a graphical milestone by any means, but I would consider that game Hardcore!

antonz

French Site

On Ram:
- RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB

GPU:
AMD (ATI) - probably R700 series , with a shader (for managing effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1)

Neither of those are very committal and in fact one of them is pure conjecture while the other is a guess

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (and I'm very sorry if it has), but won't a touch screen tablet at the center of the controller price Nintendo out of the family market?

As is, the Wii-more with Nunchuck is pricey. A tablet could make each controller cost $100 or so - way too much to buy a second, third or fourth for the kids. Not to mention if it breaks (which invariably happens when children play).

antispin

User Name Here said:
"The R700 is the Radeon 4000 HD series."

lol, if that's true, it will be outdated on release.

Capture the hardcore market my ass.

There is a lot more to it than R700 = Radeon 4000. Firstly, you can't compare the performance that a desktop PC card offers PC games, to what it might offer inside a console. The two cannot be compared or correlated in this manner. Further, this R700 refers to the class of the GPU; there could be further customization done by ATI for Nintendo's benefit (bandwidth, shaders, RAM). Similarly, you cannot equate a 3-core PowerPC to another 3-core solution and guess the performance. We don't know the architecture. We don't know how the chips talk to each other. Until we do (likely not until a dev studio such as Epic or id comments on the hardware) we should refrain from drawing conclusions on the longevity of this new platform.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
EatChildren said:
Everything Nintendo has done with it's controllers have worked well and been functional, but I still want a system with a traditional controller next gen. I'm still hoping for something like the DS3 with a trackball in place of the right analog stick and maybe something like haptic feedback. Just put a KB/M on a controller and I'll be happier than a pig in poop.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
French Site

On Ram:

GPU:

Neither of those are very committal and in fact one of them is pure conjecture while the other is a guess
Yeah, personally the only things I'm treating like fact are:
-It's real.
-It has a controller with a touchscreen and buttons.
-Launching in Fall 2012, revealing at E3.
-It's more powerful than the current generation, but how much and the specific hardware I still view as totally up in the air.

Jarmel

Banned
AzureNightmare said:
Hey junior, You really don't know anything about hardware generations do you?. Just because the specs LOOK similar does not mean that they ARE similar. The R700 GPU is 3 generations ahead of the R500 GPU. Also I am fairly certain that the RAM used in project cafe will have the data transfer speed to match the GPU and so will the power PC cpu, which is certain to not only be more power efficient, but also be faster. If you really want to argue hardware specs, go some where else because this place already has enough ignorant fanboy banter as it is.

Yes because the RAM size wasn't a complaint with the 360. The R700 is still not that much of a jump. It's been outdated for awhile now on the PC side and even ignoring that, still DX10. Both the PS4 and 360 2 or whatever, will quickly eclipse it. I would bet money that both of them are going to be DX11 which means we're going to end up with another Wii situation.

The CPU is another factor in that yes it's better than either the 360 or PS3 but it sure as hell won't be better than the 360 v.2 or the PS4.

In other words, it's not enough of a jump.

Gritesh

FunnyBunny said:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned (and I'm very sorry if it has), but won't a touch screen tablet at the center of the controller price Nintendo out of the family market?

As is, the Wii-more with Nunchuck is pricey. A tablet could make each controller cost $100 or so - way too much to buy a second, third or fourth for the kids. Not to mention if it breaks (which invariably happens when children play).

This is what worries me, you cannot pack this much tech into something to capture the "hardcore" market, when you just finished a generation of establishing yourself as a household name for families and children and seniors alike.

redbarchetta said:
It saddens me that the hardcore market is seemingly defined by a system's graphical capitalizes and not its games.

No, nowadays, it's defined by both. Don't lie to yourself; you know it's true.

antispin said:
There is a lot more to it than R700 = Radeon 4000. Firstly, you can't compare the performance that a desktop PC card offers PC games, to what it might offer inside a console. The two cannot be compared or correlated in this manner. Further, this R700 refers to the class of the GPU; there could be further customization done by ATI for Nintendo's benefit (bandwidth, shaders, RAM). Similarly, you cannot equate a 3-core PowerPC to another 3-core solution and guess the performance. We don't know the architecture. We don't know how the chips talk to each other. Until we do (likely not until a dev studio such as Epic or id comments on the hardware) we should refrain from drawing conclusions on the longevity of this new platform.

I read that, and I thought, you are absolutly correct.

Then I looked back at the wii hardware.

onQ123

1232o9u.jpg

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Controller screen could be oled so as to ensure its not fragile?

Perhaps the screen will be tactile and also stretched and curved, its the type of thing Nintendo would do.

Nintendo philosophy of innovation is to "make the impossible possible" so think about how they're going to use all of this stuff to do that.

antonz

Nirolak said:
Yeah, personally the only things I'm treating like fact are:
-It's real.
-It has a controller with a touchscreen and buttons.
-Launching in Fall 2012, revealing at E3.
-It's more powerful than the current generation, but how much and the specific hardware I still view as totally up in the air.
Yep I mean I do understand they have a good trackrecord with the NGP but they also were alot more committed to what they revealed on the NGP. It wasnt we would guess this or that.

it does show how other sites are taking things and running with it though. French are very noncommittal and even guessing and other sites report it as fact

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
Yep I mean I do understand they have a good trackrecord with the NGP but they also were alot more committed to what they revealed on the NGP. It wasnt we would guess this or that
Honest, this long before launch it's entirely possible that these things aren't even finalized yet.

The final NGP GPU didn't even go out until recently even though they had a general idea and some placeholders in the meantime.

pre-nintendo console reveals always have a boatload of rumors, usually hyping the console up to be much more than it is. Not that this isn't exciting but 6" touch screen controllers are something I need to see to believe.

plainr_ said:
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/sDBUV.jpg

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom