• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sipowicz

Banned
i agree with chubigans when he said that only nintendo will really make an attempt to support the little screen.

if the hardwae is competitive then i don't see thq/ea putting effort into any multiplatform games. they may be able to persuade activision and ubisoft though for some games

i hope they don't abandon the normal games they make either. they should continue making platformers and games like punch out and mario kart. that's kind of what differentiates them

they need a new mario kart though. make it like waky racers

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KenOD said:
"Il s'agit en fait d'une erreur de traduction d'un des utilisateurs du forum NeoGAF."

Oh NeoGAF and mistranslations.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Bwahah.

Post your stuff in English, yo! Then this wouldn't happen.

Zeliard said:
I assume it may work like a variation on the PS3's remote play, which I've never used, but I believe streams content to the PSP wirelessly via a video stream if I'm not mistaken.

Indeed, but there are two distinctions. One: the PS3 itself is still only rendering one screen and that's going to the PSP. Secondly, Remote Play is sending a sub-HD signal with compression. But since the connection would be local--not over the internet--compression issues might be avoided. But you still have the 'problem' of rendering to multiple screens. Obviously they're doing it, if rumor's true, I'm just curious as to the exact mechanics.

J-Rock

Banned
KenOD said:
"Il s'agit en fait d'une erreur de traduction d'un des utilisateurs du forum NeoGAF."

Oh NeoGAF and mistranslations.

So they say no Blu-Ray, Backward compatibility with Wii may not be there. Roughly the same as the 360. That they speculate.

I find that hard to believe. This all sounds super speculative.

This sounds cool, but I have a feeling it's hardware will be another generation behind the other consoles after all 3 release. It would be cool if this was comparable to ps4 and xbox whatever tech-wise though, with some sort of nintendo affordability behind it as well.

Nessus

I'm pretty sure everyone here is thinking too conventionally.

The actual configuration is going to be completely different from these mockups and it'll (probably) make a lot of sense.

mr_nothin

Banned
Sipowicz said:
i agree with chubigans when he said that only nintendo will really make an attempt to support the little screen.

if the hardwae is competitive then i don't see thq/ea putting effort into any multiplatform games. they may be able to persuade activision and ubisoft though for some games

i hope they don't abandon the normal games they make either. they should continue making platformers and games like punch out and mario kart. that's kind of what differentiates them

they need a new mario kart though. make it like waky racers
I can guarantee you that you'll see this feature in Madden:
Private Playbooks on each screen. (SO PLAYERS WONT KNOW WHAT PLAY YOU'RE PICKING! lol)
Fistwell said:
Probably been brought up already, but 512MB for a GPU in 2012 sounds a little thin, no?
What makes it even more thin is the fact that they're talking about system memory...well it's stated like they're talking about total system memory.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming PS4 and next XBOX are as powerful as all these sorts of posts are assuming...
Discotheque said:
It would be cool if this was comparable to ps4 and xbox whatever tech-wise though, with some sort of nintendo affordability behind it as well.
Pick one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
J-Rock said:
I find that hard to believe. This all sounds super speculative.

"the relationship between the two consoles architectures suggests that the thing would be possible, says our contact."

Basically it seems Nintendo didn't go out of their way to say it's backwards compatible to third party devs, but why would they? They don't need to know that, and in fact it could be a distraction or interpreted as them not making a complete turnaround from the Wii. If it's using PowerPC and an ATI GPU then they would have to go out of their way to make it not backwards compatible, I think.

Zeliard

redbarchetta said:
Indeed, but there are two distinctions. One: the PS3 itself is still only rendering one screen and that's going to the PSP. Secondly, Remote Play is sending a sub-HD signal with compression. But since the connection would be local--not over the internet--compression issues might be avoided. But you still have the 'problem' of rendering to multiple screens. Obviously they're doing it, if rumor's true, I'm just curious as to the exact mechanics.

Very true. Remains to be seen.

There's still a lot of puzzlement over even the basic, ergonomic design of the controller itself, much less its so-called streaming capabilities. Hopefully more info gets out this weekend, because right now, I don't think anybody truly knows what to make of this whole thing.

We're having to do some mental gymnastics to simply visualize this thing working functionally, so there has to be something we're all missing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The article clearly says they don't know how much RAM is in the system.

They simply say they think it would be logical if it had a unified pool like 360 of 'at least 512MB'. But that's just their speculation, not something they were told. Again, they say they don't know.

So forget the 512MB :)

antonz

Fistwell said:
Probably been brought up already, but 512MB for a GPU in 2012 sounds a little thin, no?
The Information on the French site for Ram and GPU are speculation with no basis of reality and they even say as such.

Problem is Gaming Journalism at it's finest takes speculation and says Confirmed!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Discotheque said:
lol I know it's a pipe dream, can't really have one without the other.

But then...what about the gamecube?
I think the $100 difference from the competition was largely due to the lack of DVD player...maybe? Or just Nintendo magic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gofreak said:
The article clearly says they don't know how much RAM is in the system.

They simply say they think it would be logical if it had a unified pool like 360 of 'at least 512MB'. But that's just their speculation, not something they were told. Again, they say they don't know.

So forget the 512MB :)

They also say it's only a slight notch above the 360 in terms of power, and knowing Nintendo and the crazy things they do with RAM, that may mean the RAM could be less than 512. So who knows.

Holy Order Sol said:
"state things clearly if you them translated properly".
Yes how them clearly not stated things! ;)

antonz said:
The Information on the French site for Ram and GPU are speculation with no basis of reality and they even say as such.

Problem is Gaming Journalism at it's finest takes speculation and says Confirmed!
Yeah ok. Havent been following this thing very closely, got the RAM number from the op.

wsippel

Banned
Edge's "better than Move" rumor seemingly conflicts with all other controller rumors. What if there's only one "master controller", with screen, dual analog and everything, with the console itself being some sort of docking station/ charging cradle? For Wii-like motion gaming, you put it on the cradle, and it'll act as a sensor bar with an additional camera. For "traditional" games, you take it out and get a more or less regular dual analog controller with tons of buttons, touchscreen and what not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so we have like eight different translations of this article and my French is pretty rusty.

Could someone make a bulleted list of what has changed? It would be super helpful.

Sipowicz

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I can guarantee you that you'll see this feature in Madden:
Private Playbooks on each screen. (SO PLAYERS WONT KNOW WHAT PLAY YOU'RE PICKING! lol)

nah man, you're giving EA too much credit

you'll probably see commercials for cocal cola and hugo boss while the actual game will be a babyfied, featureless mess that's been outsourced to some random dev house

Krev said:
I think the $100 difference from the competition was largely due to the lack of DVD player...maybe? Or just Nintendo magic.

It still had a DVD player though, just of the miniDVD variety. The only cost they really saved was on the licensing fees for allowing users to play DVDs. Granted, I don't know what this cost is, but I'm pretty confident it's no where near $100 considering you can grab DVD players for like $20 these days.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
redbarchetta said:
It still had a DVD player though, just of the miniDVD variety. The only cost they really saved was on the licensing fees for allowing users to play DVDs. Granted, I don't know what this cost is, but I'm pretty confident it's no where near $100 considering you can grab DVD players for like $20 these days.
It was likely much more back then, though. But yeah, still doesn't explain it. That's where the 'magic' possibility comes in.

Amir0x

Banned
So I think at this point going by the rumours I'd say the controller is a split design, the primary controller is a big six inch touch screen shaped like a remote. It has buttons or a trigger underneath like the wiimote but the front is one big touchscreen, except it has a single analog stick above the screen (in this scenario this is where I abandon ship from the platform; won't even buy a system with such a primary control being fucked like this). Then it'll have a nunchuck like extension with more buttons and an analog. However, instead of wired, the nunchuck extension will be connected to the new Wii HD remote wirelessly.

So this would

+ Keep the 6" touch screen
+ Keep the motion control/pointer functionality
+ Keep the rumoured dual analog
+ Keep some of the buttons
+ Not be hideous

The downside of course being with so many central buttons being replaced by touch it'd be awful to play with but I think it's the least cluttered design I can think of that would also simultaneously retain a stable Wii backward compatible control.

antonz

Nirolak said:
Okay so we have like eight different translations of this article and my French is pretty rusty.

Could someone make a bulleted list of what has changed? It would be super helpful.

Update 10 is the problem. CVG is writing that the french site confirms GPU and Ram and lists specs. The reality is the french site says:
RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB

GPU:
Graphics processor: AMD (ATI) - probably a series R700, with a shader (for managing the effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1).

CVG takes speculation and is reporting it as fact. We really have no clue of any specs

Zeliard

Nirolak said:

I honestly don't know if anything has changed. There's so much confusion because no one seems to want to come out and deliver information that one doesn't have to decipher with some codebreaking. I mean, a big part of journalism (and I use the word loosely in this context) is being concise and straightforward. A little clarity goes a long way.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nirolak said:

Controller
- 6" touchscreen, not HD, not multitouch
- D-Pad, L, R, two triggers, others
- 'Front-facing camera'
- A sensor roughly analagous to the Wii sensor bar is incorporated in the controller - i.e. some kind of IR beacons/transmitters. Purpose isn't clear.

Specs
- Custom triple-core PowerPC
- AMD/ATI GPU. 'Probably' derived from R700 series.
- RAM unknown
- Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch"

Misc
- One other 'huge surprise' about the system

Taken from:

http://www.01net.com/editorial/5316...2-de-nintendo-aura-une-tablette-pour-manette/

http://www.01net.com/editorial/531680/project-cafe-ce-qui-reste-a-eclaircir-a-propos-de-la-wii-2/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nirolak said:

Seems like mostly:

- Sensor bar being built into the controller is a mistranslation. It seems there will be one very similar to the Wii.
- Backwards compatibility is completely unconfirmed, but the site speculates it will be possible because of the similar architecture.
- Blu-ray is not confirmed and hasn't been brought up by their sources, which seems odd to me as that is kind of a big point to notice.
- Just a "notch above Xbox 360" and not "significantly more powerful" as reported by IGN.

Zeliard

Don't think we know anything more now than we did near the start of this thing with the french article, except that, apparently, it isn't "3x more powerful than a PS3." :p

wsippel

Banned
gofreak said:
- AMD/ATI GPU. 'Probably' derived from R700 series.
- Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch"
And that part simply makes no sense. It's either a R700 or roughly equal to the Xbox 360. Unless it's running at 50MHz or something.

wrowa

I really hope Nintendo is going to show the design of the controller at their investor's meeting... Would be pretty unlike Nintendo after the secrecy regarding the Wiimote, but all of these rumours floating around surely don't do any good.

At this point I'm really sick of all these rumours. :p

antonz

Zeliard said:
Don't think we know anything more now than we did near the start of this thing, except that, apparently, it isn't "3x more powerful than a PS3." :p
Well technically the R700 series of GPUs could range anywhere from 2x-10X the power of the HD consoles right now.

Problem is they make an assumption that the Wii 2 could have an R700. It could just as easily have an R800 which run cooler and more power efficient. If the AMD talk which has a lot of strong possibility to it is real then a 5000 series GPU is guaranteed

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just a notch about the 360 and with some spazztastic control.

Third party support DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom