• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALBOSS said:
I'll care.

Just because Nintendo are going to go with a more powerful console this time around, doesn't change the foundation of the brand. Next gen will still be the exact same way this gen.

Normal games on the big 2 720/PS4
Nintendo "happy time" games on Wii2
I wonder how this gen would've looked had Wii launched 1-2 years before 360?

apana

FINALBOSS said:
I'll care.

Just because Nintendo are going to go with a more powerful console this time around, doesn't change the foundation of the brand. Next gen will still be the exact same way this gen.

You can't say that yet. It's very possible that Wii 2 could be in the PS4/720 family. It'll be like a distant cousin but still show up once in a while for some ports. Wii was a complete stranger to PS360, not even related.

Cygnus X-1 said:
I think everyone wasnt to see Zelda and Metroid HD. Seriously, EVERYONE.

I want Kirbeh HD.

As I said way back, I'd personally love it if Kirby Wii got the Twilight Princess treatment; being released on Wii and the Wii HD, even if they didn't touch the graphics and just made it HD. I think the game looks brilliant as is even though we've only seen the low-res trailer.

J-Rock

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
I'll care.

Normal games? Happy time games?

What is happening to this thread?

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
I'm still thinking a more traditional style for the dual analog/screen pad. I don't think they're going to have that 6" screen pad also be the pointer, and they seriously better not get rid of the IR pointer, so I assume they'll just have a seperate Wii MotionPlus type thing with a nunchuk (or maybe literally just the actual Wii MotionPlus).

But who the fuck knows at this point lol, especially with Nintendo.

I don't think Nintendo is going to confuse consumers with a billion standardized controllers. So, in my opinion, there will be one main controller that they pack in with the systems, and it's going to be a controller that either is a remote or can turn into a remote. They still have the sensor and pointer apparently, which isn't going to be possible with a more traditional controller.

Somnid

FINALBOSS said:
I'll care.

This is just getting sad.

So Nintendo is going from one of the simplest controllers anyone including your grandparents will use to a complicated one with a screen on it.

I don't think so.

Zeliard

Do people even want all three consoles to share the same games? Plus many of them will also probably go to the PC. Then you'll have the same games on four systems, with one clearly superior to the others.

I want Nintendo to get third-party support back but I'd also like them to not mirror what Sony/MS are likely to do.

Zeliard said:
Do people even want all three consoles to share the same games? Plus many of them will also probably go to the PC. Then you'll have the same games on four systems, with one clearly superior to the others.

I want Nintendo to get third-party support back but I'd also like them to not mirror what Sony/MS are likely to do.

What Nintendo needs are big exclusives. Multiplatforms are fine, but if they can get exclusives they'll be better. Offer something that you can only get on the N6.

Zeal

Banned
Guardian Bob said:
So Nintendo is going from one of the simplest controllers anyone including your grandparents will use to a complicated one with a screen on it.

I don't think so.

nintendo is sick of old people playing their games.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:

Multiplatform games are the way to go. Few exclusives exist anymore, and those that do will be first/second party.

The few exclusives Wii did get were generally awful. There are a few exceptions to this rule on Wii, PS3 and 360, but it's such a small class of games that it's not worth noting.

Little King's Story, Muramasa, Sin & Punishment 2, Boom Blox

I'm not sure if Fatal Frame is any good since it never came here. :mad:

J-Rock

Banned
Zeliard said:
Do people even want all three consoles to share the same games? .

I actually don't. But I can afford more than one. So I understand that some people want everything on one console. Sadly, that's not the reality we live in currently.

Zeliard said:

I rather see more exclusives, but that doesn't make sense business wise.

upandaway

Guardian Bob said:

I don't think so.
Well, they did put an analog in the primary position on the 3DS (which I thought was absolutely insane).

Dunno about a screen, but I could see them making the controller a bit scarier to grandparents.

FINALBOSS said:
I'll care.

The notion is ridiculous.

Starchasing said:
how much outdated??

Well if the PS4 and Nextbox have a lot more RAM than the Wii 2, are closer to the top end of PC gaming than the Wii 2, are doing Raytracing and other techniques, then there is no doubt it'll look very out dated. It'll look nice, but it'll look significantly worse than the competition IMO.

We all know Sony will push the performance to the absolute limit of whatever they do. 3rd parties will likely do more PC/PS4/Nextbox work, leaving the Wii 2 as a console to port down to. They'll optimise for the machines with more grunt.

It all comes down to personal tastes really, but I've always preferred my games to be as near to the best they could look/run as possible.

That said, a Zelda game looking that good would get me to buy a Wii 2.

I hope the network is up to scratch.

Dennis

Banned
Weenerz said:
I just want a 1080p Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Zelda and Metroid game. Give it to me now!
You may very well get that. From the rumors that should be possible.

But honestly, by 2012 1080p by itself is hardly awe inspiring.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
I'm not sure if Fatal Frame is any good since it never came here. :mad:

It's okay, but wouldn't blow minds.

AceBandage said:
What Nintendo needs are big exclusives. Multiplatforms are fine, but if they can get exclusives they'll be better. Offer something that you can only get on the N6.

It's a multiplatform world and only becoming moreso. Nintendo need to learn how to deal with that.

DennisK4 said:
Why sad? Because you think he is wrong?

I think his scenario is likely realistic, I am sad to say.
No, the gap won't be as big as this gen. For one thing the motherfuker won't be 480i or 480P anymore and jaggies won't be as apearent.

DennisK4 said:

yes it will be

DennisK4 said:

Considering how many 360/PS3 games run at BELOW 720P, yes it will.
:p

J-Rock

Banned
DennisK4 said:

You sound a bit grim. You should play more happy time games.

AceBandage said:

While exclusives from 3rd parties are becoming less and less common, Nintendo can offer incentive for gamers to buy multiplatform titles on their system by leveraging their characters and offering a competitive network, which includes both core and casual gamers.

I believe Soul Calibur 2 GCN was the best selling version of the title due to the inclusion of Link. There is no reason Nintendo can not repeat this success with future 3rd party titles if they play it smart.

Wazzim

Banned
Weenerz said:
Wii-HD-Mockup-51.jpg

This looks pretty slick.
Why the fuck would want a screen like that in your controller? It's just useless, you already have your 40" flatscreen to look at. Sure it was pretty neat on the DC but a 6" touchscreen is the usual gimmick nobody really needs.

The Wii 2 needs (not really needs to be succesful but for me to buy one) proper NEXT-GEN hardware, 2gb RAM and a ~768MB (can be shared, so 2gb including video) GPU. No lame gimmicks, just a proper console with good online infrastructure. Besides that, good 3rd party relations need to be build up from the start and more 1st party studios acquired for AAA games.

...But we all know Miyamoto is gonna think of some weirdo stuff to put in the machine like the touchscreen controller and we'll get a PS3.5 with that instead. :/

orioto

Good Art™
Fourth Storm said:
Where are your worries coming from? The rumors we've heard include the inclusion of traditional controls, a touchscreen (a proven concept in gaming), and motion controls more advanced than Move (another proven concept, though some still choose to dispute it).

Moreover, the rumors about the graphics seem pretty "linear" in so far as it is a generational leap over their previous system. If anything, this is a much more "linear progression" than the Wii was.

People are freaking out over nothing.

Yeah if this is a "ngp" case of let's put everything into the console, well... why not. But i think they fear that cause they don't want people to think it's just an other 360/PS3. They have been clear that they will differentiate themselves at any price. Any price. They tried stylet, motion control, 3D... I think the direction is clearly the wall. And there will be some kind of gimmick in this one to, except it will be more obvious that they are clueless.

I already see them trying to convince us that it can be so great to have a separated screen for game features. It's the whole Nintendo srategy now. Create artificial needs to justify forced difference.

NEO0MJ

AceBandage said:

That's what the wii tried to do using it's controller but in the end only got a few worthwhile 3rd party exclusives.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
AceBandage said:
Why can't big exclusives be at Nintendo's non-realistic art level? Why not try to create a cartooney franchise?

Somnid

DennisK4 said:
Why sad? Because you think he is wrong?

I think his scenario is likely realistic, I am sad to say.

In what way? I don't even understand what a normal game is versus a "happy time" game. Looks more like loaded labels and given other posts clearly FINALBOSS is not here for reasonable discussion.

apana

DeathNote said:
Why can't big exclusives be at Nintendo's non-realistic art level? Why not try to create a cartooney franchise.

Which reminds me, I think I said it once before, but now there is no reason for Epic Mickey to not look like the original concept art.

Wazzim said:
Why the fuck would want a screen like that in your controller? It's just useless, you already have your 40" flatscreen to look at. Sure it was pretty neat on the DC but a 6" touchscreen is the usual gimmick nobody really needs.

The Wii 2 needs (not really needs to be succesful but for me to buy one) proper NEXT-GEN hardware, 2gb RAM and a ~768MB (can be shared, so 2gb including video) GPU. No lame gimmicks, just a proper console with good online infrastructure. Besides that, good 3rd party relations need to be build up from the start and more 1st party studios acquired for AAA games.

...But we all know Miyamoto is gonna think of some weirdo stuff to put in the machine like the touchscreen controller and we'll get a PS3.5 with that instead. :/

Because a lot of people - millions - want new videogames not to be just more powerful software with expensive online.

I wish Nintendo hadn't fucked up the software situation, but actually, really, change and experimentation is all I give a shit about in videogames anymore. The march of the pixels bores me.

Scotch

I almost can't imagine the screen will be 6''. That's the same screensize as the Kindle. It leaves very little room for all the buttons and ergonomic design. Either that or the touchscreen controller is seperate from the classic controller, similar to the Wii.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
apana said:
Which reminds me, I think I said it once before, but now there is no reason for Epic Mickey to not look like the original concept art.

If you're talking about the first wave of concept art, the 'leaked' stuff, then it didn't look like that because Disney thought it was too dark. It had nothing to do with the platform's hardware.

Neo C.

Zeliard said:

This is the reason why I don't understand the people wanting the new console as close to PS4/nextbox as possible. We would have all the same games on console x as well as on console y and z. I'm all for a more third party friendly console, but ultimately every console should bring an unique experience. Otherwise we would have the HDtwins situation all over again.

Dennis

Banned
Somnid said:
In what way? I don't even understand what a normal game is versus a "happy time" game. Looks more like loaded labels and given other posts clearly FINALBOSS is not here for reasonable discussion.
I assume he is referring to the more bright kid-friendly games on the Wii contrasted with the more hardcore 'dudebro' games on PS3/360.

I think that this division will continue into next gen unless Nintendo delivers much more graphical oomph than suggested by the rumors.

KAL2006

Banned
Wazzim said:

In a way I agree with this, but in the end then all 3 PS4, 720 and WiiHD would basically be similar. A person like me who buys multiple hardware (currently own PC, Wii, PS3, DS, PSP) I don't what all the hardware to be basically the same, that is why I don't own a 360 as I have a PS3 and PC. I like that Nintendo do there own thing and differenciate themselves from the others.

apana

EatChildren said:
If you're talking about the first wave of concept art, the 'leaked' stuff, then it didn't look like that because Disney thought it was too dark. It had nothing to do with the platform's hardware.

I think it would have been difficult to recreate that concept art on the Wii. Somebody post all of it plz. Also not all of it was dark.

orioto said:
Yeah if this is a "ngp" case of let's put everything into the console, well... why not. But i think they fear that cause they don't want people to think it's just an other 360/PS3. They have been clear that they will differentiate themselves at any price. Any price. They tried stylet, motion control, 3D... I think the direction is clearly the wall. And there will be some kind of gimmick in this one to, except it will be more obvious that they are clueless.

I already see them trying to convince us that it can be so great to have a separated screen for game features. It's the whole Nintendo srategy now. Create artificial needs to justify forced difference.

You're being a bit pessimistic, don't you think? We clearly have yet to see the potential of the 3DS and the most reliable rumors have Nintendo clearly targeting hardcore gamers with their new home console.

And if my speculation from a few pages back is on target, the screen/front camera would be used for video conferencing, something which would add tremendous value to online gaming if made standard.

Dennis

Banned
Always-honest said:
yes it will be
1080p is by itself nothing much to aim for. Its just not a particularly good marker of advanced graphics.

I am sure the console will do 1080p but that is almost a trivial assumption.

Fourth Storm said:
While exclusives from 3rd parties are becoming less and less common, Nintendo can offer incentive for gamers to buy multiplatform titles on their system by leveraging their characters and offering a competitive network, which includes both core and casual gamers.

I believe Soul Calibur 2 GCN was the best selling version of the title due to the inclusion of Link. There is no reason Nintendo can not repeat this success with future 3rd party titles if they play it smart.

I may be hazy on this but while the GC version was the best selling in America, worldwide the PS2 just (soul)edged it out.

Not that it matters, as I'd argue that the boosting effect of Link in SCII was largely due to the novelty and a strategy of letting Nintendo characters guest would lead to diminishing returns as the novelty wore off. Not only that but it probably wouldn't fix the problem of third party support in the longterm, as it would likely promote the stigma that the only way to sell on a Nintendo platform is to have the crutch of Nintendo's brands.

orioto

Good Art™
KAL2006 said:
In a way I agree with this, but in the end then all 3 PS4, 720 and WiiHD would basically be similar. A person like me who buys multiple hardware (currently own PC, Wii, PS3, DS, PSP) I don't what all the hardware to be basically the same, that is why I don't own a 360 as I have a PS3 and PC. I like that Nintendo do there own thing and differenciate themselves from the others.

And they clearly understood that. Only problem is that they are short of good ideas...

KAL2006 said:

this. At this time i'm just concerned about whether or not they've found a way to make this controller work ergonomically and that it at the least has some form or actual button and not just triggers and bumpers and a dpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom