• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sipowicz

Banned
nintendo have to be shitting it a little bit

the 3DS isn't exactly a runaway success (thank god) so they have to have everything riding on this. thankfully it's when their backs are against the wall that they seem to pull off their best stuff

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
aronnov reborn said:
I am actually very disappointed with this. how the hell is a 6 inch display controller suppose to be affordable? especially multiple ones.. or if one breaks?

am i the only one that just wants a simple console with power?

Well at the moment I still don't believe any of it, just doesn't add up despite the flurry of 'leaks'.

We'll find out for real soon enough (hopefully) anyway.

Sipowicz said:
nintendo have to be shitting it a little bit

the 3DS isn't exactly a runaway success (thank god) so they have to have everything riding on this. thankfully it's when their backs are against the wall that they seem to pull off their best stuff

Neither was the DS, another underpowered piece of hardware with no games.

Big One

Banned
Sipowicz said:
the 3DS isn't exactly a runaway success (thank god)
3DS is the fastest selling handheld console of all time, shut the fuck up about this shit. It sold better than the DS at launch

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
aronnov reborn said:
I am actually very disappointed with this. how the hell is a 6 inch display controller suppose to be affordable? especially multiple ones.. or if one breaks?

am i the only one that just wants a simple console with power?
From Nintendo?

Might as well just give up and move on with your life.

MadOdorMachine said:
Nintendo will release a new console in 2011/2012 that will be slightly more powerful than PS3 and 360. Any multiplatform titles that are released on it will look superior than the PS3 & 360 versions. This won't be by a large margin, but load times, jaggies, resolution and framerate will be better.
PS3 version of multiplatform games usually look worse than Xbox 360 version. Why is that?

And even if WiiHD pull a "slightly better performance" that wouldn't last long because Sony and Microsoft are already working on new consoles making use of current technology.

History is about to repeat in 2013 or so. WiiHD is a fucking weak console with no third-party support because it's shit hardware can't handle the competition.

Also, let's not forget how Game Cube missed some of the hardcore games, like Black and Grand Theft Auto. Not sure why we are expecting a different situation with a brand new console with zero install base.

But that's what you get when you are introducing a new console that's nothing more than a 2006 revision of Xbox 360. Oh well Nintendo, you tried though.

Still going to buy the fucking console day one because I'm a fucking Nintendo fanboy. Too bad.

Woffls said:
This might be an utterly ridiculous suggestion, but perhaps Nintendo have delayed the significant 3DS online capabilities until May because the code contains hints about how it will operate with N6, and they don't want that out there until E3? They would be assuming, of course, that nobody would be able to dig that deep within a month.

I think 3DS and N6 will be very closely tied, both in direct compatibility, and online infrastructure. It would be such a missed opportunity if Nintendo made a touch screen controller and didn't let us use a 3DS in some way instead. I know 3DS doesn't have dual analogue, but there will surely be some opportunities they can capitalise on?

Yeah, I'm just thinking out loud. Better than talking about R700's xD

Someone suggested that the eShop unveiling may have been held back to May because launching it back in Feb/Mar would reveal too early where Nintendo are going with Wii2 - I assume because it would be a dedicated store for both 3DS and Wii2, and its launch would reveal the existence/details of the system.

Not sure myself, but I suppose it's worth considering.

watershed

Banned
Medalion said:
Scaled down lol... Are u expecting these new consoles to run in resolutions higher than 1080p natively or even more than half the time?

I was reading the comments on a Kotaku article rounding up the wii2 rumors and there was this guy adamant that the wii2 would be left in the dust if it only displayed at 1080p. He was going on and on about how he has a pc screen that does a higher output and that this would be the new standard for the next gen. It was kind of crazy.

Most HD games don't go near 1080, many dip below 720 and HD tv's are now the norm. Nobody is going higher in the mainstream space for years to come and there'd be no point. You can hardly see better than 1080p resolution on a screen with the naked eye at a comfortable distance and its certainly not a next gen selling point to have a feature people can't distinguish.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo are like... "Wtf is everybody talking about? We were just planning on releasing the Wii Vitality Sensor and some more 3DS game announcements at this years E3... o_0"

swerve

aronnov reborn said:
I am actually very disappointed with this. how the hell is a 6 inch display controller suppose to be affordable?

Because the base unit is cheap to make, just being a notch up from 360? This would allow nintendo to make the games it wants to make for the next 5 or 6 years, at a price they want to sell at.

A simple console with power already exists, and new ones will exist, but it's unlikely to come from Nintendo. They'll make something weird and wonderful and charming and will divide opinion for another decade.

ReyVGM

Sammy Samusu said:
Also, let's not forget how Game Cube missed some of the hardcore games, like Black and Grand Theft Auto. Not sure why we are expecting a different situation with a brand new console with zero install base.

[/SPOILER]

GC missed some of the hardcore games because back then most companies still weren't doing the multiplatform thing as aggressively as are doing now.

And this really pissed me off. Finally, a generation where the Devil May Cries, the Tekkens, the Final Fantasies are released on multiple consoles and the Wii is left behind because it can't handle it.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sammy Samusu said:
PS3 version of multiplatform games usually look worse than Xbox 360 version. Why is that?

And even if WiiHD pull a "slightly better performance" that wouldn't last long because Sony and Microsoft are already working on new consoles making use of current technology.

History is about to repeat in 2013 or so. WiiHD is a fucking weak console with no third-party support because it's shit hardware can't handle the competition.

But that's what you get when you are introducing a new console that's nothing more than a 2006 revision of Xbox 360. Oh well Nintendo, you tried though.

Still going to buy the fucking console day one because I'm a fucking Nintendo fanboy. Too bad.
yeah.. anyway...

I had read somewhere that the new console was supposed to be "serious", not a gimmick. I believe those were the words.

However, sensor bar and a touch screen on the controller -- if true -- has me very skeptical.

Londa said:
Why don't you want it to be successful?

Probably because 3D isn't for everyone. If I bought one, I'm almost positive my 3D slider would never leave the "off" position.

Woffls

Anyone find it odd that Vitality Sensor hasn't been mentioned at all? I think that could be the 'big surprise' side of the console. I honestly believe that Vitality Sensor could be revolutionary, in the horror genre at least.

Dammit, now I'm thinking of Deadly Premonition again and can't stop whistling >_<

corrosivefrost said:
I had read somewhere that the new console was supposed to be "serious", not a gimmick. I believe those were the words.

However, sensor bar and a touch screen on the controller -- if true -- has me very skeptical.
lol

corrosivefrost said:

I think too many place were trying to jump on the "insider info" hype. I would say outside of a few things, a lot of the rumors are bogus.

corrosivefrost said:
Probably because 3D isn't for everyone. If I bought one, I'm almost positive my 3D slider would never leave the "off" position.

Christ they give you the option to not use 3D, so what is your problem with it?

Edit: I should've quoted Sipowicz probably

Sipowicz

Banned
The Mana Legend said:
Neither was the DS, another underpowered piece of hardware with no games.

the DS was also cheap, innovative, region free and had a decent battery life

the 3DS is none of these things

Londa said:
Why don't you want it to be successful?

because it's the second worst hardware that they've ever released

1-D_FTW

Chittagong said:
all this reminds me of the "secret feature" of the Wii controller that turned out to be that small tinny speaker.

LOL. You forgot about the Gamecube. Remember how long IGN teased with that one? And that was for "clicks" on the analog triggers.

As long as Nintendo doesn't go too far off the deep end with the controller, though, biofeedback is a lock for the secret feature.

Woffls said:
Anyone find it odd that Vitality Sensor hasn't been mentioned at all? I think that could be the 'big surprise' side of the console. I honestly believe that Vitality Sensor could be revolutionary, in the horror genre at least.

Dammit, now I'm thinking of Deadly Premonition again and can't stop whistling >_<
I hope it is. I still want that Nintendo/Valve dream combo.

pestul

corrosivefrost said:

People still think the Wii was a gimmick.. after all this time? Ouch. The additions don't sound all that 'gimmicky' to me at all. Nintendo isn't going to go back a conventional GC/PS2 era system in likeness people. :p

evangd007

Sipowicz said:
the 3DS isn't exactly a runaway success (thank god)

Both Pachter and Reggie said that the 3DS not selling out is all according to keikaku. NOA spent next to nothing on 3DS promotion, and it was still the fastest selling portable ever.

Instro

Woffls said:

Its kind of weird that only Nintendo and Valve are the 2 companies who have come out and said they are interested in this kind of tech. It seems like it would have some interesting applications. Its too bad they havent worked on it together.

JordanLMiller said:
I thought the speaker was kind of a cool idea, but yeah it was also really bad quality. I think I remember it was also used as the sword swinging sound effect in Twilight Princess and that got really annoying.

The speaker was put to awesome use in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

1-D_FTW

Why do people keep saying this? Does PSP no longer qualify as a portable. It launched in March and sold 600,000. Fanboys on edge.

apana

70% chance that the rumors are bullshit and the controller is still a wii mote with a little screen on it and an analog nub somewhere. Maybe the screen can act as one of the buttons or act as some type of sensor.

ReyVGM said:
GC missed some of the hardcore games because back then most companies still weren't doing the multiplatform thing as aggressively as are doing now. The original Xbox didn't get a GTA either by the way.

And this really pissed me off. Finally, a generation where the Devil May Cries, the Tekkens, the Final Fantasies are released on multiple consoles and the Wii is left behind because it can't handle it.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I know!

I couldn't care less for graphics, really, but if that's what it takes to have third-party support, so be it!

Instro said:
Its kind of weird that only Nintendo and Valve are the 2 companies who have come out and said they are interested in this kind of tech. It seems like it would have some interesting applications. Its too bad they havent worked on it together.
Didn't Ubisoft have some knock-off at E3 last year?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Sammy Samusu said:

Yes, I agree. They are lagging so far behind that it likely won't matter if the system is only marginally better than 360/PS3. By the time developers got a handle on programming for it the next Xbox will be out. PS3 may very well keep it alive though. I get the feeling people aren't going to want to jump into the next gen as quickly as they did with this one. Especially after the investment put into the price of the consoles. That's why I hope one of them goes bleeding edge and actually makes the system relevant for 10 + years. The only way I can see that happening is to go bleeding edge and limit the full power of the system for a future date. The system will be expensive at first, but will come down in price over time.

perfectchaos007 said:
If this thread goes the way of the 3DS speculation thread, it won't be here for long.
We'll see. Love your avatar btw ;)

watershed

Banned
Woffls said:

The vitality sensor has been mentioned a lot, but this thread is too fast for our puny human eyes. Look back 20 pages and it'll be there.

apana

1-D_FTW said:
LOL. You forgot about the Gamecube. Remember how long IGN teased with that one? And that was for "clicks" on the analog triggers.

As long as Nintendo doesn't go too far off the deep end with the controller, though, biofeedback is a lock for the secret feature.

Implemented how?

corrosivefrost said:

Nintendo don't compete on hardware, there was no chance of the next Wii running close to what PCs today can do. The biggest selling point is the new controller, the Wii already set the precedent of it being the platform with innovative control mechanics and with the growing popularity of tablets/touchscreen smartphones it could be a very shrewd move by Nintendo to include a touchscreen on the new controller. Of course whether it ends up feeling a gimmick or not depends on the developers and I have to admit the Wiimote did,more often than not feel, unnecessary compared to traditional inputs.

Sipowicz said:
the DS was also cheap, innovative, region free and had a decent battery life

the 3DS is none of these things

I'm sure the DS sold 150 million because of its region free capabilities, right?

Nope, sorry, it sold well because of the games, as will the 3DS when the time comes.

KAL2006

Banned
If WiiHD is just a bit powerful than 360, then WiiHD will get lots of PS3/360 ports in it's first 2 years then once PS4/720 come out it will miss out on the multiplatform games (maybe the first, bunch of PS4/720 multiplatform games will be ported but later on developers will start taking advantage of PS4/720)

This is similar to Wii, Wii got tons of last gen ports in it's first few years then then it got nothing as developers concentrated on the more powerful 360/PS3
Okami
RE4
Star Wars Force Unleashed (PS2 version)
Zelda TP
DBZ Budokai 2 and 3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Metal Slug Anthology

It would've got more ports if it wasn't for GameCube being basically the same power, now developers are going to do the same thing by porting PS3/360 games to WiiHD until PS4/720 come then they will transition to the newer consoles and ignore WiiHD

EDIT: and who will want to switch from PSN/Live people have friends acheivements and digital games with those accounts they don't want to leave there old accounts, it's a shame Wii didn't have proper accounts that Nintendo could have used to hook people

swerve

SlipperySlope said:
The speaker was put to awesome use in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Wii Party also used it brilliantly. Actually, it added some nice touches to a lot of games. I like how subtly it was used, I just wish it were more reliable - often it wouldn't play the sample correctly.

KevinRo

This thread reminds me of the same bitching and complaining about the specs in the Wii revelation thread. ::sigh:: I never bought the Wii, but I find the games on it amazingly fun and addictive.

When will people learn?

The Mana Legend said:
I'm sure the DS sold 150 million because of its region free capabilities, right?

Nope, sorry, it sold well because of the games, as will the 3DS when the time comes.
Just leave him be. His fact sheet on the ds is being completely construed by his personal opinions on it.

artwalknoon said:
I don't have that on the wii does it feature online voice chat thru a 3rd party headset?
Yup. Talk to anyone. Also can add random people and only have to enter a friend code once and your friend can just accept the invite.

Woffls

artwalknoon said:
The vitality sensor has been mentioned a lot, but this thread is too fast for our puny human eyes. Look back 20 pages and it'll be there.
Oh I meant in the rumours themselves, not in GAF discussion. Or did I miss that? I've been checking this thread constantly since page 1 xD

M74

apana said:
Implemented how?
Probably wouldn't be that hard to place pulse reading sensors, like smaller versions of the ones you see on treadmills and stuff (assuming people here have actually seen a treadmill), on the underside of the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom