• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Agreed. I think Wii2/Xbox3 should be in the same hardware class and PS4 can be dramatically more/less powerful. Then fuck the people who want more games on their system of choice. ;)

wouldn't mind that too, as long as I can get one powerhouse console that has all the 3rd party multiplatform games, and a secondary consoles that has completely different games from the standard multiplatform games.

Londa

Banned
JasonMCG said:
SdyYy.jpg

o_O Interesting idea.

Where is the console? Are there five different controllers? So I won't need a ipad if I buy this Wii2.

Medalion

Banned
It is impossible to say, rein back your expectations...this is Nintendo we are talking about, as if they really expect Nintendo to unleash the most sophisticated advanced powerhouse of a console ever devised JUST to change things up... also it would be nice to actually be able to comment during Nintendo's E3 conference without this place crashing for hours

watershed

Banned
Yeah I think we should all start tempering our expectations for the N6's graphical output now so that there won't be a 200+ page thread of "Nintendo dropped the ball" posts come E3.

antonz

artwalknoon said:
Yeah I think we should all start tempering our expectations for the N6's graphical output now so that there won't be a 200+ page thread of "Nintendo dropped the ball" posts come E3.
Thats gonna happen no matter what. We have people attacking Nintendo if they only do a 200% power increase over this Gen already.

artwalknoon said:

We're already having those post in this thread anyway.

There's no pleasing some people.
If they went balls to the wall high end, we'd have people screaming about a $600 console again.
If they go with a moderate increase over the 360, we have graphics whores crying about "NOT ENOUGH SHINES!"

1-D_FTW

artwalknoon said:

Well I've clearly accepted this is going to be "360's cousin." I'll reserve final judgement until we hear the real release date and see WTF the controller actually is.

AceBandage said:
There's no pleasing some people.
If they went balls to the wall high end, we'd have people screaming about a $600 console again.
If they go with a moderate increase over the 360, we have graphics whores crying about "NOT ENOUGH SHINES!"

But you're the biggest Nintendo fanboy on the boards. You'll defend anything.

artwalknoon said:
This is absolutely guaranteed to happen regardless.

Even in the best case scenario, if the graphics are PS3-level and/or above, the software Nintendo shows would probably not look better than, say, Uncharted 3.

I am still prepared for the idea that absolutely nothing will be shown this year.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Graphics Horse said:
Yeah, I'm not convinced the main unit would double as a hand held DVD player, but if the rumours aren't giving the full picture it could be something more along those lines.

There is no way all that power can be contained in a package that sleek anytime soon.

A CPU and GPU that are at least equivalent to PS3/360 can't use much less power or require much less cooling, so a more traditionally sized main console design is almost guaranteed if it has that kind of power. What's in that picture is effectively a current size tablet but with ps3/360 power and a disc drive which is infinitely unrealistic.

artwalknoon said:

People will complain no matter what. Personally, if I get HD Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros etc., I don't give a shit what else the thing can do. Day 1.

shadyspace said:
People will complain no matter what. Personally, if I get HD Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros etc., I don't give a shit what else the thing can do. Day 1.

this. as long as its HD, 5.1, and has some sort of decent online (please please please no friend codes, but i have a sneaky feeling they'll stick with it), then nintendo can do whatever the hell they want.

shadyspace said:

heck at this point im just worried about the controller.

Emitan

As long as developers will be getting their 360/PS3 engines working on the Cafe in 2012, who cares? We'll be getting games that don't look too much better than what we have now on the 720 and PS4 when those come out, so the Cafe will be a place where developers can create games without worrying about one upping everyone else graphically.

antonz

ShockingAlberto said:
This is absolutely guaranteed to happen regardless.

Even in the best case scenario, if the graphics are PS3-level and/or above, the software Nintendo shows would probably not look better than, say, Uncharted 3.

I am still prepared for the idea that absolutely nothing will be shown this year.
I just dont think Nintendo could do that. There is no way they would let investors go through Months of Wii 2 is coming and will debut at E3 rejoice for your stock value only to have E3 come and nothing.

Investors would grow insanely pissed off and the stock value would plummet worse

Emitan

antonz said:
I just dont think Nintendo could do that. There is no way they would let investors go through Months of Wii 2 is coming and will debut at E3 rejoice for your stock value only to have E3 come and nothing.

Investors would grow insanely pissed off and the stock value would plummet worse
Nintendo barely showed anything for the Revolution.

1-D_FTW said:
But you're the biggest Nintendo fanboy on the boards. You'll defend anything.

I dunno if that's true.
I believe that TP was boring, Barrel Blast was an abomination, and that they dropped the ball on localizing a LOT of games that should already be out for both the Wii and DS.

However, unlike most of this board, I can over look much of that because Nintendo is the only company in this industry that will give me the most high quality games per system.

watershed

Banned
secretanchitman said:
this. as long as its HD, 5.1, and has some sort of decent online (please please please no friend codes, but i have a sneaky feeling they'll stick with it), then nintendo can do whatever the hell they want.

If there are friend codes still, even unified like on the 3ds, they won't mention it. If there are no friend codes it will be the first thing they say about online stuff. Iwata going, "This time, NO FRIEND CODES!"

antonz

Billychu said:
Nintendo barely showed anything for the Revolution.
True but the fact Nintendo proved a console exists means Investor were happy. Theres no way an announcement doesnt happen now. Nintendo would have to come down hard on this rumor if it was totally false

I'm betting, with the System Transfer of the 3DS, that we'll be able to put our Friends List and FC on the N6.
At least, that's what I would do.

watershed

Banned
antonz said:

Hey I kinda hope this happens then because I am looking to invest in Nintendo but their stock is still a little too high for me to justify getting in. If it drops a few dollars then that will create an opening for new investors!

Emitan

antonz said:
True but the fact Nintendo proved a console exists means Investor were happy. Theres no way an announcement doesnt happen now. Nintendo would have to come down hard on this rumor if it was totally false
Oh, I thought you meant they have to show games at E3. Not even commenting on the Cafe would be crazy.

artwalknoon said:
If there are friend codes still, even unified like on the 3ds, they won't mention it. If there are no friend codes it will be the first thing they say about online stuff. Iwata going, "This time, NO FRIEND CODES!"

honestly i just can't see how they could/would turn around from launching their shiny new handheld with friend codes this year to no friend codes and this and that on wii 2 the next.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
artwalknoon said:

I really don't think system codes are a big deal. They allow you to change your name on the fly. What really needs to be implemented is a request notice from people trying to add you.

and a Trophy / Achievement system

Emitan

DoomXploder7 said:
honestly i just can't see how they could/would turn around from launching their shiny new handheld with friend codes this year to no friend codes and this and that on wii 2 the next.
Pokemon don't follow you in Black and White. Nintendo just adds and drops features for no conceivable reasons.
Shikamaru Ninja said:
I really don't think system codes are a big deal. They allow you to change your name on the fly. What really needs to be implemented is a request notice from people trying to add you.

Steam lets you do this.

DoomXploder7 said:
They won't, it'll be the same system only with invites/messaging day one.

artwalknoon said:
Hey I kinda hope this happens then because I am looking to invest in Nintendo but their stock is still a little too high for me to justify getting in. If it drops a few dollars then that will create an opening for new investors!

I still have a grudge over my parents not lending me the money to buy into Nintendo back when everyone thought the Wii was going to tank and their stock was at an all time low.

Shikamaru Ninja said:

this. if friend code adding was one-way only and the other would just see it and accept, i could totally put up with it, especially since i can change my name on the fly .

TheOddOne

KAL2006 said:
But I like buying at least 2 consoles as I am a fan of Nintendo and Sony franchises, and if they are both powerful and expensive then I will have to pay a lot of money, but if WiiHD wasn't as powerful and was much cheaper than PS4 then I wouldn't have to spend that much money. And again I don't like franchises getting on too many platfomrs at the moment it's PS3/360, but if its going to be on all 3 nextgen consoles the community will be split 3 ways, for example I hate that I don't get to play 360 players when I play SSFIV on PS3, now if the community gets split 3 ways that would be even worse.
These "splits" that you keep mentioning has happend for generations. From my perspective, nothing has gotten worse. Hell its even, to some extend, improved.

Woffls

The friend code system is fine, but what's built around it at the moment is limited. I fully expect it to be expanded upon in the May update, but fundamentally friend codes are just gamertags with numbers. What's the big deal with writing down numbers instead of alphanumeric? At least there's a standardised format.

watershed

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:

I agree, I think looking at the 3ds can tell us a lot about what to expect for the N6. I think unified friend codes will be there but with messaging and invites without friend code input will be there at launch as well. But I also think that even if they do a big system unveil, like bigger than the 3ds one which was huge, they still won't get into those details at E3.

antonz said:
They had a successful handheld at the time.

If the 3DS picks up (which it may or may not), they may be in a position to just not say anything until next year.

WillyFive

Woffls said:
The friend code system is fine, but what's built around it at the moment is limited. I fully expect it to be expanded upon in the May update, but fundamentally friend codes are just gamertags with numbers. What's the big deal with writing down numbers instead of alphanumeric? At least there's a standardised format.

It's much harder to remember numbers than names. It's human nature, brains don't work well with numbers.

Numbers are great for computers (IP addresses and such), but you can't expect people to use the internet a lot if in order to get into NeoGAF you had to type the IP address of this website instead of neogaf.com.

Woffls said:
Ya, friend codes were only terrible when they were on a per game basis. Now that they're system based I really don't have too much of a problem with them.

Woffls

Willy105 said:
It's much harder to remember numbers than names. It's human nature, brains don't work well with numbers.

Right, but how many people's tags are words you'll find in the dictionary? If I say to someone, and this would be a basic example, "oh hey, my gamer tag is woffls, but that's woffls without the a, and with an o instead. Oh, and drop the e. So can you remember that?" At which point you might as well write it down.

Surely we could all remember a single 12 digit number to give people when they ask? Or am I just wired differently? I memorise my debit card numbers xD

Boney

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
Ya, friend codes were only terrible when they were on a per game basis. Now that they're system based I really don't have too much of a problem with them.
you can't speak with people, making it impossible to play with friends in sf though

A.KU.MU

Banned
Just a bit of speculation.

The first Skyward Sword screenshots were in 720p. Could the screenshots be a nod to the game being delayed until the next console is released?

Click images for full 720p

ombz

A.KU.MU said:

The first Skyward Sword screenshots were in 720p. Could the screenshots be a nod to the game being delayed until the next console is released?

I don't think it means anything. Other Wii games have done the same thing.

A.KU.MU said:

Other M had 720p shots as well.

Woffls

A.KU.MU said:
Naw, they wouldn't have had it running on new hardware back when the first screens were released. I doubt they even had the hardware running at all back then xD Zelda won't be pushed back a whole year, assuming the 2012 release is accurate.

watershed

Banned
A.KU.MU said:

MIND BLOWN. But even if this means that Skyward Sword is gonna be a launch game that's not the kind of graphical/technical showcase the system needs to impress the old/jaded/bitter hardcore gamer that turned away from Nintendo in favor of Sony or Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom