• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

AceBandage said:
Because, as has been stated a thousand times, a 360+ will still likely be able to run everything the 720/PS4 could, just scaled down.

People seem to think consoles are like characters in Dragon Ball Z.

Manus

I'd be happy if they went back to using the GCN controller. It's one of my favorite controllers to use for gaming.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I also doubt Skyward Sword will get delayed to launch on this system. I do believe however, there will be a HD version of it on the system.

apana

Cosmonaut X said:
Because I think enough of us have had experience with virtual controls on a touchpad to know how very limited they are, and how poor a tactile experience they are.

Are there really that many haptic screens out there that the majority of people have already tried it? I must be out of the loop.

effzee said:
As always I find it funny reading definite answers from posters who have nothing to go on right now. We don't have complete specs, any clue about the controller and how it works or what it introduces, and haven't seen a single game. Yet some posters have already written it off.

Not saying its not justified to be disappointed if the specs do turn out to be less than stellar and the controller is terrible. But we have nothing right now. How can anyone decided based on some leaked info?
that's what speculation is. We take what we have. And it's not like it's a bunch of bullshit rumours we have, they all seem founded off of some truth considering how similar they all were when they came out. I think it's enough to speculate on.

And when more news comes out people will speculate on that.

I am 100% sure that the fundamentals of the online system will be the same as the 3DS's: a single friend code instead of a gamer tag.

They will probably launch with game invites and messaging, though.

Vamphuntr

AceBandage said:
Because, as has been stated a thousand times, a 360+ will still likely be able to run everything the 720/PS4 could, just scaled down.

Well their current xbox+ with motion sensing sure isn't running scaled down version of 360/PS3 games.

Chris1964 said:
GC/Wii launch had some logic because of hardware similarities. What's the logic behind Wii/Wii 2 launch?
i just want them to make the entire game for wii HD.

There, i said it. Just stop with everything that has to do with the Wii.

If the Wii2 is BC (or even if it's not), they could easily make it the same game but in a higher res.

goomba

Banned
AceBandage said:

Yup I agree, same could be said about the Wii, not that it happened much.

nintendo_wii_black_ops_patch.jpg

JaseMath

A 6" screen on a controller would be huge...tablet big. Unless it's an almost completely touch screen controller where games use nothing but gestures, it seems totally unlikely, not to mention expensive. Then again, they''ll probably recoup to cost since they're using dated graphics architecture.

Vamphuntr said:
Well their current xbox+ with motion sensing sure isn't running scaled down version of 360/PS3 games.

Because it uses a completely different architecture than even the Xbox did.
If it had OpenCL instead of TEV, you'd see more downports ala 3DS.

JasonMCG said:
A 6" screen on a controller would be huge...tablet big. Unless it's an almost completely touch screen controller where games use nothing but gestures, it seems totally unlikely, not to mention expensive. Then again, they''ll probably recoup to cost since they're using dated graphics architecture.
if it's really that big, that woudl be my guess.

ombz

Alien Coded DNA said:
They will most definitely have to go another route with the online system if they want to get a piece of the COD-like community. Friend codes are not going to cut it. The developer shouldn't have to make their own online friend system for their game to function for multiplayer.

I really hope they take online gaming seriously this time. It's a huge part of the "hardcore" these days. Like it or not.
I don't think Nintendo's going abandoning friend codes. They're too worried about pedophiles.

apana

AceBandage said:
Because it uses a completely different architecture than even the Xbox did.
If it had OpenCL instead of TEV, you'd see more downports ala 3DS.

I used this analogy before but it's like Wii 2 will be in the same family as 720 and PS4, just a distant cousin. While the Wii was completely unrelated, a stranger to 360/PS3. Is that correct?

Instro

Vamphuntr said:

To be fair the issue there is that its using extremely old architecture that doesnt support the correct API's needed to easily scale back games from the 360/PS3.

apana said:
Are there really that many haptic screens out there that the majority of people have already tried it? I must be out of the loop.

Sorry - thought we were discussing touch controls on capacitive screens. Didn't realise you meant haptics...

Always-honest said:
i just want them to make the entire game for wii HD.

There, i said it. Just stop with everything that has to do with the Wii.

If the Wii2 is BC (or even if it's not), they could easily make it the same game but in a higher res.
What if Wii 2 renders Wii games at 720-1080p? Like N64 Virtual Console games on Wii render at 480p rather than their native res? Weren't people speculating this when they found higher quality assets than necessary in EAD's games like NSMBWii or Galaxy 2?

Skyward Sword's just too far along now to switch. It'd be like if Majora's Mask had gone to GC instead of N64. Nintendo might pull that with their outsourced games, but the internal stuff tends not to jump over.

Medalion

Banned
Scaled down lol... Are u expecting these new consoles to run in resolutions higher than 1080p natively or even more than half the time?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Naked Prime said:
from these rumors its apparent no one has seen any games 1st hand, so the best thing is to wait and see. Gamecube & the original Xbox weren't evenly match spec wise . But for those that actully put forth effort got some pretty damn good results out of the Cube. But if it can run Unreal 4, Crytek 3, ID Tech 5 and the next generation of Capcom's MT Framework smoothly, I don't foresee any huge short comings
CE3 and IT5 are already running on PS3/360 so that's a no brainer. UE4 might not make it if it's only slightly more powerful than PS3/360.

mrklaw said:
the biggest problem IMO is that the 3DS ends up proscribing what it does. The tech is limited and the AR demos etc end up trying to define it.

Personally I don't think you can have a true vision of the future in all aspects - maybe you can place a few bets, but stuff emerges that you couldn't possibly have planned - these things need to last 5-7 years and still be relevant.

Thats partly the reason I want Sony/MS/Nintendo to cram them full of the most expensive tech they can, to cover themselves for the things they can't plan for.
IAWTP. People need to look at 3DS to gauge where Nintendo is likely to go with the Wii2. Saying it's slightly more powerful than PS3/360 is probably a safe bet. I do want bleeding edge out of my next console but I don't see anyone doing it other than Sony. Here's what I think will happen.

- Nintendo will release a new console in 2011/2012 that will be slightly more powerful than PS3 and 360. Any multiplatform titles that are released on it will look superior than the PS3 & 360 versions. This won't be by a large margin, but load times, jaggies, resolution and framerate will be better.

- Microsoft will release a new console in 2012/2013 that will be a huge leap over the 360, PS3 and Wii2. They'll have some third party exclusives equivalent to Gears that show off what the system can do nicely. Meanwhile multiplatform titles will continue on all three with varying degrees of quality PS3<Wii2<Xbox 720.

- Sony will release PS4 in 2014 or 2015. It will be bleeding edge and future proofed so the console will still be relevant and last 10+ years. Console specs such as clock rates and ram availability will be held back until a firmware release at a later time makes it fully available - think PSP here. The results are that midway thru their cycle (2018) when Nintendo is ready to release their next system, Sony will be ready with software that still looks better due to the specs being fully unlocked. Being that their system was released after Xbox 720 by a year or two, they will have had plenty of time to ensure the PS4 will resolve any and all problems developers want fixed w/Xbox 720.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I just look at the fact that Microsoft has been readying a new system behind the scenes for a while now quietly waiting. They have every reason to wait and see what Nintendo does and then react. Sony is pretty much forced into that situation. Also, the last two Nintendo systems have been strong out of the gate and then lost steam. I don't see this trend changing anytime soon.

JaseMath

Always-honest said:
if it's really that big, that woudl be my guess.
I still can't wrap my head around that. I'm looking at the Kindle (which has a 6" screen), and the prospect of that being part (or the main part) of the controller honestly turns me off completely. The Wii 2 is sounding more and more like some kind of iPhone/console hybrid. *Ugh*

Medalion said:
Scaled down lol... Are u expecting these new consoles to run in resolutions higher than 1080p natively or even more than half the time?

Scaled down in terms of geometry and physics. Not resolution or shinnies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
lunchwithyuzo said:
What if Wii 2 renders Wii games at 720-1080p? Like N64 Virtual Console games on Wii render at 480p rather than their native res? Weren't people speculating this when they found higher quality assets than necessary in EAD's games like NSMBWii or Galaxy 2?

Skyward Sword's just too far along now to switch. It'd be like if Majora's Mask had gone to GC instead of N64. Nintendo might pull that with their outsourced games, but the internal stuff tends not to jump over.

It's possible, but unlikely given Nintendo's track-record. For BC they shut-down the rest of the system for 100% compatibility, the Wii literally becomes a GC and the 3DS becomes a DS.

I wouldn't expect anything more than an upscaled video-signal.

DECK'ARD said:
It's possible, but unlikely given Nintendo's track-record. For BC they shut-down the rest of the system for 100% compatibility, the Wii literally becomes a GC and the 3DS becomes a DS.

Uh, does the 3DS become a DS? To be honest, I haven't had chance to try it with mine yet but I thought you could suspend DS games and jump in to the 3DS menu, which would indicate it's not working in quite the same way as the Wii.

wrowa

AceBandage said:
It actually is just you repeating the same phrase over and over again :p

wrowa said:
It actually is just you repeating the same phrase over and over again :p

And it's true.
The biggest road block for the Wii was TEV.
See: 3DS. It gets a port of SSF4 and a very awesome looking RE game because a next gen engine was scalable to it (MT Framework) thanks to it using a more modern shader system.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
A touchscreen on the controller will be great. The most obvious idea would be to use it for inventory systems. Imagine playing Resident Evil 6 and having your inventory right at your fingertips--one touch weapon switching!

antonz

effzee said:
As always I find it funny reading definite answers from posters who have nothing to go on right now. We don't have complete specs, any clue about the controller and how it works or what it introduces, and haven't seen a single game. Yet some posters have already written it off.

Not saying its not justified to be disappointed if the specs do turn out to be less than stellar and the controller is terrible. But we have nothing right now. How can anyone decided based on some leaked info?
Honestly we dont even have any specs. The French site speculates what they think it might have and US sites run with it as fact.

The problem right now is the French Site was handed solid info including devkit names etc for the PSP2. When they revealed the PSP2 it wasnt guessing what it could have etc they flat out detailed everything down to model types on hardware parts.

Now because they had such info on the PSP2 the internet is treating them as if they are on a God Teir for leaks. SO when they say we have no idea how much the ram the Wii 2 has but it has to be at least 512MB sites run with that and say Confirmed 512MB!

DECK'ARD said:

Could also be a case by case thing. Maybe select Wii games get unrendered via software, as in titles that Nintendo planned for initially? I just think it's odd some 1st party Wii games have higher than 480p assets if there's no need, especially when it comes to ever frugal Nintendo.

And has it been confirmed this is exactly how DS to 3DS backwards compatibility works? I mean, if so how are they allowing OS interrupt, different screen display outputs, improved WiFi security and use of the circle pad? Wouldn't that have to be software driven? It's not like DS allowed GBA games to use 4 face buttons, or the Wii let you play GC games with a classic controller and save to the internal flash?

watershed

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I am 100% sure that the fundamentals of the online system will be the same as the 3DS's: a single friend code instead of a gamer tag.

They will probably launch with game invites and messaging, though.

IF the game invites and messaging are there at launch I will be happy. Nintendo's approach to online gaming, while slow has saved them from years of complaints/maybe lawsuits from uneducated parents about racists/sexists/abusive rants from online gamers. So I wonder how voice chat will be present if at all?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cosmonaut X said:
Uh, does the 3DS become a DS? To be honest, I haven't had chance to try it with mine yet but I thought you could suspend DS games and jump in to the 3DS menu, which would indicate it's not working in quite the same way as the Wii.

Home button in DS mode just brings up a quit message.

And everything else like StreetPass doesn't work when in DS mode.

DECK'ARD said:
Home button in DS mode just beings up a quit message.

And everything else like StreetPass doesn't work when in DS mode.

Ah, my mistake - I was sure I'd read someone saying that they could suspend out of it and use other functions. Shows how little I've had chance to really explore the features of the system (too much Pilotwings, not enough messing about with options!)

artwalknoon said:
IF the game invites and messaging are there at launch I will be happy. Nintendo's approach to online gaming, while slow has saved them from years of complaints/maybe lawsuits from uneducated parents about racists/sexists/abusive rants from online gamers. So I wonder how voice chat will be present if at all?
Same way as CoD:BO for Wii I hope.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo must either be laughing their asses off at our speculation or trembling we are overshooting and expectations will crush them at this years E3

Medalion said:
Nintendo must either be laughing their asses off at our speculation or trembling we are overshooting and expectations will crush them at this years E3

They'll win us over with games. Lets just hope it doesn't end up like the 3DS (where they won over everyone with games, but the system's library is so spread out across the year that it made the launch a lot less exciting).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
lunchwithyuzo said:
Could also be a case by case thing. Maybe select Wii games get unrendered via software, as in titles that Nintendo planned for initially? I just think it's odd some 1st party Wii games have higher than 480p assets if there's no need, especially when it comes to ever frugal Nintendo.

And has it been confirmed this is exactly how DS to 3DS backwards compatibility works? I mean, if so how are they allowing OS interrupt, different screen display outputs, improved WiFi security and use of the circle pad? Wouldn't that have to be software driven? It's not like DS allowed GBA games to use 4 face buttons, or the Wii let you play GC games with a classic controller and save to the internal flash?

The improved WiFi security was in the DSi I believe.

Different screen display outputs is easy as it doesn't affect compatibility, its just a bit bolted on the end. With Wii 2 that would be the equivalent of upscaling the video signal to 720/1080p.

Mapping circle pad to d-pad again has no effect on compatibility. These little things can be added with no knock-on effect.

Re-rendering everything is a whole different kettle of fish, especially for anything that exploits tricks in the system. Not to say its impossible, but given Nintendo's track-record I don't think it's something they would do. They prefer full-proof 100% compatibility. Although I agree higher-res assets in Wii games are a bit odd.

I'd love it to be in there, but not expecting it.

Sadist

I'd love a E3 2010 style of presentation dor the reveal of Wii 2.

One software title from Nintendo to make us all giddy and a partial list of third party titles which will appear on the thing.

But we won't I guess :(

Sadist said:
I'd love a E3 2010 style of presentation dor the reveal of Wii 2.

One software title from Nintendo to make us all giddy and a partial list of third party titles which will appear on the thing.

But we won't I guess :(

It's possible.
Supposedly, third parties have had dev kits for a while.

AceBandage said:
Nintendo? Tremble?
Ha.

I would like to be Nintendo trembling in my loads of cash right now. Seriously they've made so much money on the Wii by using old tech that it's ridiculous. It must cost next to nothing to make now and thy're still selling it for $200 at the moment.

User33 said:
This thread turned into the "People criticize Nintendo's new console and Ace Bandage tries to defend it" topic.

Right now I just want more info.

Just smashing the nails of ignorance with the hammer of truth.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AceBandage said:
It's possible.
Supposedly, third parties have had dev kits for a while.

I would guess that if we do see 3rd party stuff, it will be SE or Capcom with the most to show. Just a hunch, but I am guessing Nintendo has been showing Wii2 off to Japanese pubs for a while now.

Woffls

This might be an utterly ridiculous suggestion, but perhaps Nintendo have delayed the significant 3DS online capabilities until May because the code contains hints about how it will operate with N6, and they don't want that out there until E3? They would be assuming, of course, that nobody would be able to dig that deep within a month.

I think 3DS and N6 will be very closely tied, both in direct compatibility, and online infrastructure. It would be such a missed opportunity if Nintendo made a touch screen controller and didn't let us use a 3DS in some way instead. I know 3DS doesn't have dual analogue, but there will surely be some opportunities they can capitalise on?

Yeah, I'm just thinking out loud. Better than talking about R700's xD

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Actually there is a way you could have re-rendered Wii games, and that's if the Wii chipset they put in the Wii 2 is an improved version of it. So it will still shut-down everything else and run in Wii mode for 100% compatibility, but the chip-set has been rejigged for HD output.

Unlikely, but not out of the question with their ridiculous R&D spending. And has obvious advantages for things like Dragon Quest X and Zelda as they'd be automatically enhanced along with every other Wii game. That might explain the higher-res assets.

Still not expecting it, but if it happens that would be how they would do it.

DECK'ARD said:
The improved WiFi security was in the DSi I believe.

Different screen display outputs is easy as it doesn't affect compatibility, its just a bit bolted on the end. With Wii 2 that would be the equivalent of upscaling the video signal to 720/1080p.

Mapping circle pad to d-pad again has no effect on compatibility. These little things can be added with no knock-on effect.

Re-rendering everything is a whole different kettle of fish, especially for anything that exploits tricks in the system. Not to say its impossible, but given Nintendo's track-record I don't think it's something they would do. They prefer full-proof 100% compatibility. Although I agree higher-res assets in Wii games are a bit odd.

I'd love it to be in there, but not expecting it.
Fair enough, but remapping controls is something they didn't do for DS/Wii backwards compatibility either. Hell, on Wii they didn't even allow GC games to save to internal flash or SD card, and I can't imagine that would've been too complicated?

I agree it's a slim chance, but if it was something they planned for ahead of time, I could see it happening. It'd also be a good way to encourage continued Wii software sales for their 1st party titles in the next gen, they could even reprint games with a "plays in HD" sticker on the box or whatever.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
User33 said:
This thread turned into the "People criticize Nintendo's new console and Ace Bandage tries to defend it" topic.

Right now I just want more info.
Knee jerk reactions, from both sides, need to be seriously dialed down.

I am actually very disappointed with this. how the hell is a 6 inch display controller suppose to be affordable? especially multiple ones.. or if one breaks?

am i the only one that just wants a simple console with power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom