• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AniHawk said:
there are enough internal studios to get stuff up and running for a 2012 launch. easily. it was a 2011 launch that looked really hard to do.

next console zelda is probably 2014. maybe 2015 if it's the ocarina of time they always wanted.
2013 if it's the dark gritty Zelda prequel made by Retro, starring a young Ganondorf.

alf717

If Nintendo pulls off an E3 like they did last year I will be very pleased. Maybe they will hold off on Skyward Sword for Wii 2. I don't mind the wait. It will guarantee a day one by for me.

Gravijah

Sammy Samusu said:
Are we sure about that or just judging from Ghost Recon screenshots?
By the way, great game, go get it people!

Game Cube, Wii and Xbox are all similar, so the 3DS has about the same power which is pretty much enough for a handheld.

3DS visuals satisfy me. NGP will be where I go for my eyes to be melted.

crisdecuba said:
I have to wonder how thought out their strategy was - because I could see this as having been planned all along.

I wonder if...

1. They were confident in their "casual gamer" approach and the ability for motion controls to bring people in
2. So they make their console SD, less powerful, etc. and make lots of money by selling it at $250 for years.
3. MS and Sony make their consoles uber powerful by comparison, sell them at a loss, which makes lengthening the console life-span important in order to recoup costs / make money
4. MS and Sony gravitate toward the "casual" market, pin their hopes on motion controls to extend the console life-span
5. Nintendo is free to move first in ending their console's lifespan, releases something significantly more powerful right at the time when MS and Sony are trying to extend their consoles through motion controls (the general concept of which is no longer novel)
6. Sony and MS are now pressured to do what they don't want to do: release their next system sooner rather than later, etc.

You have to wonder how much of this "all according to plan." :)
What? No.

The Wii was a huge risk. There wasn't any "We're totally confident this will work so we're going to PROFIT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE by making it SD" going on there. Don't you remember the whole "rise to heaven or fall to hell" thing?

It succeeded so they didn't need to quickly throw it away and make a graphically competitive system.

The 3DS has explicitly been about taking those casual players and adding in the hardcore market. It's not at all surprising that Nintendo is adopting the exact same strategy with the Wii successor.

dankir

Serenade said:
True.

...but damn if I'm not excited

Whooo
8mk1E.gif

Seriously, yeah I would have had a heart attack if they announced a console out of thin air without any hype about it beforehand.

Hell I'm fucking excited about this shit now!!!

The M.O.B

On another note, I don't think many of us would mind if we could get some Wii games re-rendered in 1080p, just imagine how crisp they would be.

mattx5

Motion control is a pretty fair fight right now with Kinect sales doing well. And MS/Sony will leapfrog whatever tech Nintendo puts out by virtue of rolling out their new systems later.

I think key for Nintendo is to fix their online infrastructure and reconcile relationships with third parties.

tuffy

rpmurphy said:
Yes, Nintendo is always at a disadvantage of delivering hardware power at the initial onset. This will become extremely evident when MS and Sony releases their next generation consoles 1-2 years after Nintendo, and will draw off a lot of developer and publisher interest.
So long as it's powerful enough, once 3rd party franchises are in place they're likely to stay there. For example, the 360 got a market for so-called "hardcore" games, which never migrated to the Wii - which had to establish a different set of demographics to market to. That's why Nintendo wants to bring in these 3rd parties now in order to establish those franchises from the outset.

alf717

Teknoman said:
I'd be ok with a Nintendo system around 360/PS3 power.

Not me I hope it is better. I want true HD and not that low res upscaled junk. 360 and PS3 games look good don't get me wrong but the tricks they use don't justify $59.99 asking price (HD tax?). I hope they make $49.99 the new standard again HD or not.

Which GAF'er can write something about why Steam could work on a Nintendo system?

My limited English can't let me write it.

Send me a PM, please, so we can discuss something. Really.

mysteriousmage09 said:
Nintendo won't go that far.
Well the console won't support the directx 11 API but the GPU will absolutely be DX11 class in terms of featureset, that much is assured. Even the integrated graphics on AMD's netbook chips are DX11 class.

RedSwirl

Appollowexx said:
They need to be competative with the specs this time round. I think it would be great to see a new console at E3 - new tech is always exciting, especially from a company such as Nintendo; however we all know that in 2-3 years time the new Playstation / Xbox will launch and will be (most likely) super powerful, so Nintendo really need to future proof.

It isn't enough to just go HD and use PS360 level graphics, that will not last them 5 years. They sort of went that route with the 3DS and I can see it backfiring on them. So they really need to bite the bullet and go with some impressive tech from day 1.

I imagine it still probably won't be the most powerful machine possible. I can't imagine Nintendo releasing a console at this point that costs any more than $299. Nintendo needs to perform a balancing act between keeping their hardware competetive enough to get multiplatform games, and finding a way to get their "blue ocean" Wii audience to carry over to the Wii2.

Of course the Wii 2 would be more powerful than the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Why would Nintendo release a new console that is not better than five-year old technology?

OG_Original Gamer said:
If you Mark Rein and approached by a Nintendo rep, do you still turn them down?

Nintendo could have a system with 12 processing cores, dual GPU and 8GB of RAM and Mark Rein would still say that the system doesn't have the necessary requirements to run their games.

antonz

Edag Plata said:
So the original GI story was taken down?
If Nintendo is indeed planning an announcement this month as IGN said they are likely very upset the cat was let out of the bag. Retractions would be made even if its a futile gesture

DUN GOOFD said:
pretty sure PS3 successor will be significantly more powerful than PS3 too

I will LMAO if PS4/X720 are Wii-like in their upgrades. PS3Turbo and two 360s duct taped together. It wouldn't surprise me, though.

Fernando Rocker said:
Which GAF'er can write something about why Steam could work on a Nintendo system?

"Steam" can't but the Steamworks API absolutely can. There's few decisions that would please third parties more than integrating Steamworks in the core OS of their new system.

Galang

Banned
Sounds good if this is actually true. Even though Nintendo are usually pretty reserved with acquiring companies, I wouldn't be surprised if they made at least one big move by the end of this generation. I understand the concern about expanding too quickly, but the development times between the Wii successor and the 3DS will take its toll unless they restructure at least a little. I suppose Project Sora is a start, and hopefully funding games like The Last Story and Pandora's Tower will also be more common from the start next generation.

There was a poll floating around after the reveal of Other M, asking what companies people would like to see Nintendo work with... and even though that one didn't work so well, I'll assume more things like this are coming to compensate for the amount of projects they can develop at a time. Late 2012 is a lot of time for the first wave of projects at least, and good thing a lot of the current projects are outsourced. Is it absurd to even think Game Arts... or another company this time is already working with Nintendo on the next Smash Bros? No way it's not in the planning stages if internal studios are working on games for the system.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
RedSwirl said:
I imagine it still probably won't be the most powerful machine possible. I can't imagine Nintendo releasing a console at this point that costs any more than $299. Nintendo needs to perform a balancing act between keeping their hardware competetive enough to get multiplatform games, and finding a way to get their "blue ocean" Wii audience to carry over to the Wii2.
Why wouldn't Nintendo break the $299 price point? That's barely more expensive than their handheld.

HYDE

Banned
Zombie James said:
Another issue I hope they fix: Make purchases tied to user accounts, not the physical console.

fuck that, i'd rather really own the shit that i buy, even if it's digital. you are crazy if you think logging into an account makes it fun to play bought games.

Wazzim

Banned
Why's everybody so exited? It are just some rumours about a new console at E3, like we didn't get those every other year... Anyways, Wii2 will only be interesting when Nintendo comes with new series, something that couldn't be done before. I have a feeling that they'll just upscale the new Zelda, put a Galaxy 2 remix called Galaxy 3 out and call it a launch.

Error Macro said:
I will LMAO if PS4/X720 are Wii-like in their upgrades. PS3Turbo and two 360s duct taped together. It wouldn't surprise me, though.
Sony for sure will be going for high tech with PS4. Not sure with MS though with how badly they've been clinging to Kinect lately.

Fernando Rocker said:

Wait, are you serious about writing Gabe? I think Valve has the situation under control. Not to deride your enthusiasm, but I think they have enough technical expertise on staff to not need advice from fans on which platforms to support.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, this E3 got more interesting.

Let me just say, I've been an avid fan of Nintendo since the NES days, and I've missed out on the Wii for several reasons, including budget and the fact that motion gaming just isn't my cup of tea.

But this sounds very promising to me. HD and at least on par with PS3? Good. With Nintendo's first-party prowess (I'd love a Wind Waker HD port) as well as a good relationship with third-party studios AND if it includes an optional standard controller method. Like Xbox 360 and PS3 in that regard. I'd be very interested. Again, not having as much money for gaming as I used to, I wouldn't be an early adopter, but when it comes down in price I'd definitely be in for it.

I'm an avid fan of NES, SNES, Nintendo 64 and Gamecube. In fact, the Gamecube was my preferred console over Xbox and PS2. Exciting times, anyway.

Hype +1, but one question:

What would be the point? Microsoft and Sony would and will release their next systems soon, Nintendo would be back in the same spot.

IGN said the 3DS was really powerful even going as far to say 360/PS3 levels and look how that report turned out. I'll wait and see before getting too excited

still having a Nintendo platform not being left out of HD ports would be nice.

Significantly more powerful would only be a dream and it would push Microsoft and Sony to come out with new hardware sooner to leapfrog it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom