• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niks

well well well... wonder if its true....

wonder what Sony and Microsoft reactions will be. I dont see MS and Sony releasing another console in another 2 years minimum.

Really glad to see Nintendo getting into the HD territory!
I've never really minded that they didn't make the leap, but I'm glad it's finally happening.

I'll probably hold off on getting this one at release since I've found myself purchasing fewer and fewer titles from Nintendo as time has gone on. Still loves me some Nintendo, and can't wait to see the console designs, screens, and hype when all this is revealed.

Edit:
mj1108 said:
Has anyone done the inevitable 2 Wii's (or 4 GameCubes) duct taped together joke yet?
The legendary gamecube-cube!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Damn, I'm already excited about the next Nintendo system and I haven't even set aside cash for a PS3 yet.

Tough by late 2012 money shouldn't be an issue as it is now.

Huff

Banned
Donnie said:
You think that MS/Sony are going to bring out systems that are a generation ahead of a system that's already significantly more powerful then PS3/360.. in 2013? No they aren't.

We still don't know how powerful the Wii2 is going to be.

I think it's fair to expect some things from the 3DS to be shared with the Wii 2, like the eShop, maybe the interface perhaps? The analog sticks to feel a bit more like the Circle Pad?

Internet by the company that's behind the 3DS one (who was it again? It ain't Opera IIRC).

ReyVGM

The Wii was roughly the same power as the PS2/GC/Xbox generation, so if the Wii2 is the same power as the PS360, then that's just repeating what the Wii did. So again we'll be left with outdated graphics by the time the PS4 and Xbox540 come out.

Jackano

I will be waiting for 26/28th April in two weeks. If I remember correctly, Nintendo like this kind of numbers, with the Gamecube announcement on 26 August 2000, Wii name devoiled on 28 April 2006 and last year first 3DS PR on 27th.

I'm kinda surprised, I wasn't waiting any move outside Iwata's speech this year, but like with the 3DS, Nintendo seems to now want moving quickly. Good thing I suppose, waiting never turn out well in the past.

Yes, the start of next gen, at long fucking last! Bring it on, Nintendo! Here's hoping that it really is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than ps3/360.

Nintendo is going to have to pay big money to get AAA, exclusive titles in the genres that they've historically been deficient in - shooters, racers, action titles, sports, etc - to make sure that they can establish a market on this new console for those games.

It can't be some spinoff, throwaway Chronicles/Reflex version of an existing big-ass franchise, either. It has to be some new shit, fully focus-tested and dudebro-approved. Even if they don't sell a jillion copies, they need to exist specifically so that similar titles in those genres can continue to be made and sold at an acceptable quality for as long as the console exists.

The typical Nintendo aces have to come out - Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid, Smash, Kart, Donkey Kong, Wario, etc...but you need to make sure there's a big racing game. You need to make sure that there's a big new third-person action/adventure title. You need to make sure there's a big shooter. And they are going to have to subsidize their development, I'd imagine.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Steve Youngblood said:
I feel like I'm reading a different thread, here. Though people are celebrating, nothing out of this world has been even remotely promised. It's apparently going to be "significantly" (whatever that means) more powerful than 7 year old hardware, and it will be capable of outputting in 1080P, which would only be remarkable if it wasn't true. This really doesn't tell us anything.

You fail to realize that Nintendo does not have the resources needed to support two very powerful systems. They'd basically be making it for third parties, which is silly and out of question.

Jackano said:
I will be waiting for 26/28th April in two weeks. If I remember correctly, Nintendo like this kind of numbers, with the Gamecube announcement on 26 August 2000, Wii name devoiled on 28 April 2006 and last year first 3DS PR on 27th.

I'm kinda surprised, I wasn't waiting any move outside Iwata's speech this year, but like with the 3DS, Nintendo seems to now want moving quickly. Good thing I suppose, waiting never turn out well in the past.

The thread was posted on Mar 23rd 2010.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jackano said:

Don't do that.

GQman2121

Banned
Jesus, I step into a meeting - get back to my desk - and the biggest news of the year breaks.

Anyway, the Wii was one thing, but lighting rarely strikes twice in back to back generations, and replicating the Wii's success is going to be extremely difficult to match.

I think a smart move would be to at least match the current HD consoles in terms of visuals, but offer a fantastic prices that would make the system a no brainer for gamers and current Wii owners alike.

E3 hype is definitely in the air now......

Azelover said:
You fail to realize that Nintendo does not have the resources needed to support two very powerful systems. They'd basically be making it for third parties, which is silly and out of question.
Two very powerful systems? What, the 3DS and whatever this "1080P, more powerful than a PS3" behemoth is?

antonz

Azelover said:

Nintendo certainly has the manpower to handle 3DS/and Wii2 comfortably. We have learned recently alot of assumed Nintendo based 3DS development was not even done by them. So those teams are obviously working on something

DonMigs85

Like I said before, it's probably using a Radeon HD 5670 derivative and maybe something similar to the 360's CPU but with out-of-order capability.

Luckyman

Banned
Nintendo has a huge problem. Their new system is running exactly the same games as PS3/360 only prettier. Who is going to buy it at $399 when 360 costs sub $200?

I don't know if Nintendo can out-Sony Sony. Nintendo's idea of going balls to the wall on Hardware might just be a walk in the park for Sony once PS4 comes along.

I'm curious to see what's up everyone's sleeve, but as usual, Nintendo rumors are the most intriguing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jackano said:

4 + 19

is

Afvl0.jpg

April 19

wrowa

GodDuckman said:
Sorry, but I'm just not buying it.

Not saying the sources are wrong, but Nintendo's MO has never been about console power.
ps360 are 5 years old by now. making hardware thats significantly more powerful today isnt magic. its absolutely in the realm of possibility.

the 3ds is actually a good example. its not a technical masterpiece, but still significantly more powerful than the psp (no, there is no psp game comparable to the 3ds resident evils).

The most key thoughts that come to mind about this:

1. Zelda Skyward Sword will be a bridge game.
2. 10 year generation was just stopped in its tracks. There's no way Sony / Microsoft will be stupid enough to let Nintendo get a 1.5+ year head start on them.
3. Nintendo found something with their R&D that is compelling enough to build a new, powerful console around.
4. We'll probably all buy all the new consoles as they'll probably have something significantly different out of the gate that is tailored to each audience.

AniHawk

Luckyman said:
Nintendo has a huge problem. Their new system is running exactly the same games as PS3/360 only prettier. Who is going to buy it at $399 when 360 costs sub $200?
the people who bought the 360 at launch.

Dystify

Luckyman said:
PS360 has Mario?!

This thing better be significantly more powerful than the PS3 and it better have a decent online service, or Nintendo can fuck right off.

I wonder what their differentiator will be. Sony and Microsoft are on the motion control bandwagon and Sony are lightyears ahead with regards to stereoscopic 3D.

Disguises

ReyVGM said:
The Wii was roughly the same power as the PS2/GC/Xbox generation, so if the Wii2 is the same power as the PS360, then that's just repeating what the Wii did. So again we'll be left with outdated graphics by the time the PS4 and Xbox540 come out.
But the rumour is stating that it's 'significantly' more powerful than PS3. That means it's more powerful, not the same.

Luckyman said:
Okay, I'm really not on the hype train at all given what limited information we have, but you're proposing that this thing will launch with no exclusives?

Huff

Banned
antonz said:
Nintendo certainly has the manpower to handle 3DS/and Wii2 comfortably. We have learned recently alot of assumed Nintendo based 3DS development was not even done by them. So those teams are obviously working on something

Outside of Pilotwings, OoT, and Starfox (not confirmed) what games have been outsourced?

RedSwirl

GQman2121 said:
Jesus, I step into a meeting - get back to my desk - and the biggest news of the year breaks.

Anyway, the Wii was one thing, but lighting rarely strikes twice in back to back generations, and replicating the Wii's success is going to be extremely difficult to match.

I think a smart move would be to at least match the current HD consoles in terms of visuals, but offer a fantastic prices that would make the system a no brainer for gamers and current Wii owners alike.

E3 hype is definitely in the air now......

Actually it kind of does.

The Super NES continued the success of the NES. More importantly, the PlayStation 2 continued the success and first place market share of the original PlayStation. We just need to see if casual gamers really will put up with buying another machine. I think they can if Nintendo can sell them on some newer, better Wii Sports or Wii-Something.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Galvanise_ said:
This thing better be significantly more powerful than the PS3 and it better have a decent online service, or Nintendo can fuck right off.

I wonder what their differentiator will be. Sony and Microsoft are on the motion control bandwagon and Sony are lightyears ahead with regards to stereoscopic 3D.
Do you think we'll get a clear word on a "differentiator"? I guess we would have to, but it seems like giving MS and Sony a year head start to cook up something to compete seems like a bad idea.

I always thought that the percentages for console release for MS and Sony were 85% for late 2013 and 15% for late 2012. But now I'm starting to think it might be 60/40 for late 2013 and late 2012-early 2013. Going off this Nintendo news and also that guy who apparently worked for AMD that said next xbox would come out in fall 2012.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Steve Youngblood said:
Okay, I'm really not on the hype train at all given what limited information we have, but you're proposing that this thing will launch with no exclusives?

Like Mario? This game won't benefit from HD. If they want to recapture hardcore they need someone like Epic to do stuff. Well, Capcom at least.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
GregLombardi said:
The most key thoughts that come to mind about this:

1. Zelda Skyward Sword will be a bridge game.
2. 10 year generation was just stopped in its tracks. There's no way Sony / Microsoft will be stupid enough to let Nintendo get a 1.5+ year head start on them.
3. Nintendo found something with their R&D that is compelling enough to build a new, powerful console around.
4. We'll probably all buy all the new consoles as they'll probably have something significantly different out of the gate that is tailored to each audience.
No way. Zelda is coming out this year. Wii 2 will come out next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom