• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

HYDE said:
fuck that, i'd rather really own the shit that i buy, even if it's digital. you are stupid if you think logging into an account makes it fun to play bought games.

yes i agree w/ this sediment

WillyFive

After getting into Steam, I don't see any console online service as "good" anymore. Much less Nintendo.

Celine said:
Waiting for Xenoblade/Last Story/Grace/Skyward Sword.

Is there a force I am not aware off that makes games that have already come out to disappear from existence?

AgentChris said:
I don't want realistic looking games. Just colorful Nintendo games with high framerate and crazy resolution.

But....you get that right now minus the resolution. I guess the idea here is to have better hardware for third parties. Nintendo will keep making the games they've made forever, but at least (in theory anyway) you can play Crysis 3 on it too.

birdchili

lunchwithyuzo said:
It's a new Wii that can likely handle PS3/360 ports pretty painlessly. Who won't release games for it?
the same pubs that didn't make stuff for gamecube?

changing perceptions, both on the dev/pub side, and with the gamers that have been derisive of lots of what they've been doing lately is going to be hard.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CrushDance said:
Hype +1, but one question:

What would be the point? Microsoft and Sony would and will release their next systems soon, Nintendo would be back in the same spot.

What is Nintendo supposed to do then? Never release a console? Wait three years until the Wii literally isn't selling anything?

lunchwithyuzo said:
It's a new Wii that can likely handle PS3/360 ports pretty painlessly. Who won't release games for it?
Everyone.

Third party relations will not be fixed by having another warm hole in which to cram ports. They'll still be shitty ports.

Nintendo will have to simultaneously:

- Convince third parties that their A teams should be developing for their system
- Convince them not to port-dump, which they will anyway, and they'll be shitty ports, and third parties will complain when they don't sell well.
- Make it a high selling system.
- Make it sell well without releasing good internally-developed games that would cause competition.

So it will be totally easy!

Shiggy said:
Why? Much more comfortable.

Don't know...just don't like motion controls.

Much prefer standard controllers for movement, looking around, etc. I've only played a few Wii games using the Wiimote, might not have given it enough chance though...

Gravijah said:
3DS visuals satisfy me. NGP will be where I go for my eyes to be melted.
I'm pretty sure the 3DS is already working on the subject of eyes melting. Don't you read The Sun? And you know damn well you can't dance and play the 3DS at the same because that way you'd lose the 3D effect.

NGP TEAM

fizzelopeguss said:
3DS hardware is a bit of a disgrace
Elaborate.

Well, I lol'd. Wishful thinking all around. Wasn't IGN the place that tried its damndest to hold out hope regarding the Revolution actually being a bit powerful, only to end with Matty Assmass breaking down over it all? Nintendo wanting to recapture that market? Yeah, lol.

Then again, significantly more powerful than PS3 doesn't mean a whole lot these days, does it? The only reason PS3 games still look good is because of determined and dedicated developers.

-Pyromaniac- said:
So anyone think companies change plans and tease their new consoles in light of this nintendo news.

Doubt it. It would be pathetic if Sony/MS weren't anticipating/expecting this anyway.

Clott

Yeah, it's not going to happen. The safety first mentality is far too ingrained into Nintendo to change now. I don't care if I have to eat massive amounts of crow by the end of this, it's not going to happen, stop your dreaming now.

I just want all their platformers to look like R&C: All 4 One...only better. The more color the better. And hopefully in 1080p.

If this is indeed comparable to ps4 and xbox 3 then I suspect multiplatform games will also be going to nintendo.

StuBurns

Banned
schuelma said:
What is Nintendo supposed to do then? Never release a console? Wait three years until the Wii literally isn't selling anything?
If the sales of all three systems carry on their current sales trends, how long will it be before Nintendo aren't winning? I don't know but I'm guessing way past all three next-gen systems are out. Nintendo could wait if they wanted to.

rpmurphy

tuffy said:
So long as it's powerful enough, once 3rd party franchises are in place they're likely to stay there. For example, the 360 got a market for so-called "hardcore" games, which never migrated to the Wii - which had to establish a different set of demographics to market to. That's why Nintendo wants to bring in these 3rd parties now in order to establish those franchises from the outset.
They still do have a huge uphill battle for themselves, particularly with the western market. Just look at how much developer interest has gone to the NGP simply because of its specs, even after considering how much the predecessor bombed. Nintendo shouldn't ignore this because it has hurt their market position this generation. Had the Wii been designed for scalability like their peripheral design was, then they could have greatly improved their situation, being able to last the 10-year-cycle much better than the competition.

Fernando Rocker said:
Nintendo could have a system with 12 processing cores, dual GPU and 8GB of RAM and Mark Rein would still say that the system doesn't have the necessary requirements to run their games.

Neither the Wii or 3Ds support the minimum requirements of UE3, its not a personal vendetta, simply fact, Epic don't make exceptions for anyone else either.

There'll be numerous UE3 games released at the launch of Wii 2, that much is a certainty.

Canova said:
late 2012??

all Sony and MS have to do is to release PS4 and X720 with more power than Wii HD in 2014

I'm finally playing through SMG for the first time and it is marvelous!...BUT I find myself wishing Nintendo just had the kind of power to work with as the 360/PS3. They have one of the best team of artists in the world and if they had just a little more power to work with it would make such a huge difference. It doesn't matter if Sony and Microsoft release the next age of graphics since I think Nintendo could really do wonders with those kinds of resources.

RedSwirl

One thing Nintendo definitely needs to do this time around is court the middleware developers: Epic, Crytek, and id. I don't know what kind of beef Mark Rein could have with Nintendo.

WillyFive

shinobi602 said:
Don't know...just don't like motion controls.

Much prefer standard controllers for movement, looking around, etc. I've only played a few Wii games using the Wiimote, might not have given it enough chance though...

Maybe playing more games will help in making the transitions. Motion controls don't bother me anymore, and there have actually been times that I missed them for some traditional games.

It's something you have to get used to, since it's a bigger change in style of play than it was from D-Pad to Analog Stick.

Chittagong said:
Looks like Nintendo is once again fulfilling a Chittadamus prophecy.

bow.gif
Chittadamus
bow.gif

Ickman3400 said:
But....you get that right now minus the resolution. I guess the idea here is to have better hardware for third parties. Nintendo will keep making the games they've made forever, but at least (in theory anyway) you can play Crysis 3 on it too.
Yeah for 3rd party games. For Nintendo games I want them to continue making the games they make. If this makes sense.

Smiles and Cries said:
IGN said the 3DS was really powerful even going as far to say 360/PS3 levels and look how that report turned out. I'll wait and see before getting too excited
In retrospect, what they or their sources probably meant was that HD system engines can get ported down to 3DS to make kind of similar looking games.

Like SSFIV or Revelations, for example.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, I lol'd. Wishful thinking all around. Wasn't IGN the place that tried its damndest to hold out hope regarding the Revolution actually being a bit powerful, only to end with Matty Assmass breaking down over it all? Nintendo wanting to recapture that market? Yeah, lol.
No? In fact, I think IGN was the place that broke the "Wii is an overclocked GC with extra RAM" story and tried to convince people that they weren't making it up or exaggerating.

Effect

If true then my goal of only having one home console going forward will workout. :) The wait for this is going to be crazy but I know I'll be watching E3 with a lot of interest this year. Was debating if I wanted to take my vacation around it once again but looks like I just might.

L00P

Wii was kind of a bummer, imo. Motion controls aren't all that great, so I hope their next console will have a bigger draw than that.

Donnie

Kyaw said:
My god, this sounds glorious. But when MS and Sony release their console after Nintendo's it will be miles more powerful in like 2013... just like Xbox 360, PS3 compared to Wii.

You think that MS/Sony are going to bring out systems that are a generation ahead of a system that's already significantly more powerful then PS3/360.. in 2013? No they aren't.

megamerican

Well at least it sounds somewhat promising. I was thinking they might try and ape Kinect somehow. If it maintains the basic Wii controller interface I will be a lot less interested.

CrushDance said:
Hype +1, but one question:

What would be the point? Microsoft and Sony would and will release their next systems soon, Nintendo would be back in the same spot.

it all depends on what you people expect the next microsoft and sony consoles technical leap to be, imo it won't be as big as this gens leap. so making a console "significantly more powerful than ps3" should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom