• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

dvolovets said:
Actually, I think a full generational leap relative to the Wii's horsepower is very reasonable. Of course, nobody has any idea what the heck is going on in the first place... but personally speaking, I fully expect Project Cafe to essentially be a PS3+ in terms of horsepower. As disappointing and essentially devastating to third party relations as that may be, I for one am looking forward to seeing what Nintendo's first party output will look like with that kind of power.

But you have to consider what Sony and Microsoft will be doing for their next-gen consoles. I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the next set of consoles will see as drastic of a graphical jump as PS2 --> PS3. So Nintendo's console might not be so far removed from whatever technical standard is in place for the next set of consoles.

i think both would rather make a profit off their consoles day one. don't really know what microsoft will do, but one of the reasons sony might go with a slight upgrade for the ps3 is so their ngp strategy doesn't become 'our two year old handheld connects with the seven year-old system only.' things could change, but one of the big selling points for the ngp right now is the ability to play your console games on the go, and then come home and continue them on your system. perhaps the ngp is the system sony was willing to take a loss on units sold on so the ps4 wouldn't be.

Sounds good to me. I'm still happy with the graphics my PS3 and 360 produce, personally. Wonder what the whole design concept/"gimmick" will be this time...

Also, I can't wait for everyone to hype it up, go nuts over Red Steel style bullshots, then call for Nintendo's head when the actual games look like PS3 games. It will be entertaining to watch.

amtentori said:
umm i think u are missing the most obvious middle ground where most ppl would be happy.
Are you new to this whole "internet" thing? When are most people ever happy about anything?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
dvolovets said:
Actually, I think a full generational leap relative to the Wii's horsepower is very reasonable. Of course, nobody has any idea what the heck is going on in the first place... but personally speaking, I fully expect Project Cafe to essentially be a PS3+ in terms of horsepower. As disappointing and essentially devastating to third party relations as that may be, I for one am looking forward to seeing what Nintendo's first party output will look like with that kind of power.

But you have to consider what Sony and Microsoft will be doing for their next-gen consoles. I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the next set of consoles will see as drastic of a graphical jump as PS2 --> PS3. So Nintendo's console might not be so far removed from whatever technical standard is in place for the next set of consoles.

Considering that Nintendo's next console should have programmable shaders, which the wii didn't have (lots of devs had issues with this) a PS3+ is perfectly fine. All Nintendo needs to do is to release it at a reasonable price point and build a console that is reliable.

If they do that then they will be quite successful.

farnham

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
Cafe---> Face

Nintendo Face
nintendotm_newsjun_1.jpg

apana

EricDiesel said:
Sounds good to me. I'm still happy with the graphics my PS3 and 360 produce, personally. Wonder what the whole design concept/"gimmick" will be this time...

Also, I can't wait for everyone to hype it up, go nuts over Red Steel style bullshots, then call for Nintendo's head when the actual games look like PS3 games. It will be entertaining to watch.

Are you new to this whole "internet" thing? When are most people ever happy about anything?

PS3.5 will make everyone happy. Basically half a generation leap above PS360 is what most people want.

Again, it may make most people happy. Not EVERYONE. That's literally impossible. The really self-entitled will still complain. And in my experience, tons of internet gamers are self-entitled brats.

TAS

PS3.5 will make everyone happy. Basically half a generation leap above PS360 is what most people want.

If the console has a triple core CPU and a fairly modern GPU, it will have no problems acheiving that. A lot of people seem to forget that Nintendo are masters of hardware efficiency. If these specs are correct, the system will be a monster.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
While thinking about this, I thought of E3.
While thinking about E3, I thought of GAF IRC a few years ago (which never happened).
While thinking about GAF IRC (which doesn't really exist), I realized I have a new PC, thus lost any chance to experience the Nintendo Meltdown live with the IRC crew (if there was such a thing as a GAF IRC channel) because I forgot the non-existing Network/Channel address.

Damn it.

birdchili

if there's a "sensor bar" on the tablet, it would let you use a remote with a "personal" tablet (perhaps with a stand that holds it upright) for some neat multiplayer options. simpler to have a pile of people around one tv without everyone having a good view of the bar above the television.

"controller" = wii remote 2, nunchuk 2, and tablet as separate pieces makes the most sense. having the 6" screen be anything other than a separate thing seems unlikely.

Woffls

apana said:
Change C to K.

Kafe---->Fake

Add an i on the end.

Kafe---->Kafei

Majora's Mask HD remake at launch. WOW! So ready. [edit] Ignore the thing I originally edited here. This is a sign that I should go to bed.

DatBreh

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I agree with almost everything in this post and so I second it. Its guaranteed to be a full "generational leap" ahead of the Wii at minimum. The rest who knows. Also by and large I can't see the difference between AAA 3rd party games on the 360 vs the PS3 so all these posters saying it can't be just better than the 360 it has to be better than the PS3 means nothing to my eyes.

But there is a discernible difference between 360 games and even mid level pc games. When the next level Xbox and Playstation consoles release they will be far beyond just PS3+ level.

Krowley

toasty_T said:
512MB of RAM? God damn it.

Every piece of shit notebook has 1GB dedicated these days. Such bullshit.

It is just a guess by the French site.. they said so themselves.

Personally, I would take all specs with a huge grain of salt. It could be much stronger or weaker than we think right now. Nintendo might do anything in regards to strength, and most of the information available is very sketchy, or even contradictory.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DoomXploder7 said:
at least 512 ram is being speculated by the french site.the actual amount is unknown

This

Everything we know so far is mostly speculation, until Nintendo announces the console themselves.

antonz

Woffls said:
Not exactly a confirmation. Unless you saw 512mb somewhere else?
Oh 512MB is all over. Sites like CVG reported the French site confirmed 512MB of ram even though it doesnt say that at all

watershed

Banned
DatBreh said:
But there is a discernible difference between 360 games and even mid level pc games. When the next level Xbox and Playstation consoles release they will be far beyond just PS3+ level.

Well consoles have never matched PC games in terms of graphics. PC is gaming heaven for those who want true bleeding edge tech. But for most console gamers and all mainstream consumers I think PS3+ level of graphics will be fine.

The only thing that takes me out of an experience in a game with amazing graphics/ immersive graphics are glitches, framerate issues, and low textures. If the N6 can avoid these and have PS3+ graphics I will be satisfied. Nintendo have traditionally really good about glitches, clipping, framerate issues. Now about those textures...

dvolovets

artwalknoon said:
Well consoles have never matched PC games in terms of graphics. PC is gaming heaven for those who want true bleeding edge tech. But for most console gamers and all mainstream consumers I think PS3+ level of graphics will be fine.

The only thing that takes me out of an experience in a game with amazing graphics/ immersive graphics are glitches, framerate issues, and low textures. If the N6 can avoid these and have PS3+ graphics I will be satisfied. Nintendo have traditionally really good about glitches, clipping, framerate issues. Now about those textures...
Right on. If the new platform's architecture is only a modest jump in horsepower, then we could essentially be getting games that look flashier than 360/PS3 stuff but that run at 60 FPS. Imagine stuff like Castlevania: Lords of Shadows at a framerate other than sub-30. I would honestly be able to deal with that graphical level for another generation.

Furthermore, consider Nintendo's ability to milk a console's horsepower for all that it's worth. Run Galaxy 1/2 on Dolphin and you've got a game that looks comparable to low-mid 360 games, IMO.

It better not be true because that's a shocking amount of RAM for 2012.

I could see Nintendo going for just good enough to compete but I hope they don't.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
toasty_T said:
512MB of RAM? God damn it.

Every piece of shit notebook has 1GB dedicated these days. Such bullshit.
Guess how much the PS3 has!

I've been following this thread but I'm certainly not a tech guy.

I simply have one question - could it output what Dolphin can do on a decent PC?

If that were the case I wouldn't care if it was 'underpowered', to be quite honest.

Woffls

antonz said:
Oh 512MB is all over. Sites like CVG reported the French site confirmed 512MB of ram even though it doesnt say that at all
That's the really shitty thing about all of this. Half the information we're playing with is a damn translation, and I bet the initial reports just picked out numbers and hoped for the best. I'd like to go back through all of it, looking at the timescale, and try and figure out what the hell happened.

For all we know, the specs could be of dev kits, and we could end up with something a lot more powerful than current indications. (I assume this is possible if the hardware follows a similar enough architecture? I'm not overly familiar with this kind of thing). I think specs are unreliable at this stage, but reports of touch screens on controllers, I think that's quite likely.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Being fair, most of the NGP and 3DS rumors were pretty reliable (outside of the 360-like graphics comment for the 3DS).

I predict a Dreamcast-like next generation update from Nintendo. A 3/4th jump.

tbh if you saw a 3DS screen of something like SSFIV or Resi from a distance, you might think it looks somewhat 360-esque.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
tbh if you saw a 3DS screen of something like SSFIV or Resi from a distance, you might think it looks somewhat 360-esque.

Not even from a distance.
With no context, Revelations looks like a 360 game.

antonz

Woffls said:
That's the really shitty thing about all of this. Half the information we're playing with is a damn translation, and I bet the initial reports just picked out numbers and hoped for the best. I'd like to go back through all of it, looking at the timescale, and try and figure out what the hell happened.

For all we know, the specs could be of dev kits, and we could end up with something a lot more powerful than current indications. (I assume this is possible if the hardware follows a similar enough architecture? I'm not overly familiar with this kind of thing). I think specs are unreliable at this stage, but reports of touch screens on controllers, I think that's quite likely.
Thats the shitty thing. They could spend 5 seconds at google and get a surprsingly well done translation of the news that leaves no doubts of what the site is saying.

Instead they have some deskjockey who took french in their freshman year of high school 15 years ago half assing their way.

The French Site honestly doesnt say anything spec wise with any affirmitive answer.

apana

CoffeeJanitor said:
Why isn't this stuff being treated as rumors?

Well it says rumor in the title. Being very conservative with this console is something they could do, especially if the controller cost a ton to develop.

dvolovets

AceBandage said:
Not even from a distance.
With no context, Revelations looks like a 360 game.
I remember being ridiculed for saying something like this, but certain giveaways aside (i.e., geometry), Revelations looks surprisingly 360-like considering the 3DS's horsepower. It all depends on how the horsepower is utilized, and whether there are shaders that can mask relatively lackluster geometry.

Hcoregamer00 said:
This

Everything we know so far is mostly speculation, until Nintendo announces the console themselves.
Given Nintendo's recent policies the only way will ever get solid specs is if Anandtech or some other similar site deconstructs it.

If all this stuff is true it will mark the first time that I can think of where the current market leader was the one most anxious to begin a new generation. I guess maybe you can say Nintendo did it before releasing the DS before the PSP. Microsoft probably has a new system ready to go too but they've still got to be pissed that Nintendo might force them into a new gen right when the Xbox is doing better than it ever has.

Bufbaf said:
Guess how much the PS3 has!
The PS3 is going to be 6 years old by the time this thing comes out. Outrageous comparison.

My point which I have never thought mention was that RAM is probably the cheapest way to prolong the life of a console and afford greater opportunities to devs. There is no downside to having more RAM, but a lack of it will show it's limitations soon enough i.e low draw distance, low res textures, slow OS in games among a myriad of other things.

This is all speculation but that is exactly what thread is for. People saying "let's wait until E3" didn't get this thread to almost 10k posts.

Donnie

toasty_T said:
It better not be true because that's a shocking amount of RAM for 2012.

I could see Nintendo going for just good enough to compete but I hope they don't.

You sound like your angry at Nintendo for a guess made by a website..

Ok I say officially that I guess its going to be 8GB, lets here your jubilation at my guess "8GB that's brilliant, I hope its true!!".

pestul

MarshMellow96 said:
I've been following this thread but I'm certainly not a tech guy.

I simply have one question - could it output what Dolphin can do on a decent PC?

If that were the case I wouldn't care if it was 'underpowered', to be quite honest.
Not sure what role ram plays, but a decent triple core etc. processor and recent gen graphics chipset should be able to replicate it. They won't go that route though.

dvolovets

GDGF said:
You can transfer games from DSi to 3DS. You'll certainly be able to do the same from Wii to WiiHD.
I wonder how the change in resolution will affect Virtual Console games...

From somebody more versed in the technical side of things -- any ideas?

Saint Gregory said:
Given Nintendo's recent policies the only way will ever get solid specs is if Anandtech or some other similar site deconstructs it.

If all this stuff is true it will mark the first time that I can think of where the current market leader was the one most anxious to begin a new generation. I guess maybe you can say Nintendo did it before releasing the DS before the PSP. Microsoft probably has a new system ready to go too but they've still got to be pissed that Nintendo might force them into a new gen right when the Xbox is doing better than it ever has.

I think it's more they never intended the wii to be more than a 5/6 year venture, regardless of how good or bad it's selling.

farnham

Banned
i really hope these wii 2 rumors are all false and nintendo will not release a wii 2 in the next 2 or 3 years.

the wii isnt even 5 years old and nintendo has build up a solid userbase. also they did not get into the 149 and 99 price point yet.

why would they just abandon the system and make a wii 2 ? it makes little to no sense to me.

they will have a hard time convincing new users as the wii is a cheaper alternative and better graphics are just not enough to convince casuals (they would have bought 360 or ps3 in the first place), they will have trouble with software support as the wii 2 is comming of the wii (which had arguably worse third party support then the gamecube), their own first party resources are allocated towards 3ds...

the only advantage in releasing an HD console now is the "hope" that thirdparties will take nintendo seriously and release some shoddy ports. which of course wont happen.

watershed

Banned
Donnie said:
You sound like your angry at Nintendo for a guess made by a website..

Ok I say officially that I guess its going to be 8GB, lets here your jubilation at my guess "8GB that's brilliant, I hope its true!!".

If its 8 that means the guys at Crytek will be developing for it! But in his defense everybody sounds angry when they post on GAF.

pestul

farnham said:
i really hope these wii 2 rumors are all false and nintendo will not release a wii 2 in the next 2 or 3 years.

the wii isnt even 5 years old and nintendo has build up a solid userbase. also they did not get into the 149 and 99 price point yet.

why would they just abandon the system and make a wii 2 ? it makes little to no sense to me.

they will have a hard time convincing new users as the wii is a cheaper alternative and better graphics are just not enough to convince casuals (they would have bought 360 or ps3 in the first place), they will have trouble with software support as the wii 2 is comming of the wii (which had arguably worse third party support then the gamecube), their own first party resources are allocated towards 3ds...

the only advantage in releasing an HD console now is the "hope" that thirdparties will take nintendo seriously and release some shoddy ports. which of course wont happen.
Nah, sales are dropping and the shiny new has worn off. They need a new HD console next year.

apana

farnham said:

Wii is declining rapidly. Going from 20 million last year to an estimated 16 million in sales this year is not a natural rate of decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom