• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
BertramCooper said:
I will be shocked if this controller somehow manages to cost less than $70 at retail.

It sounds crazy expensive.

I still think the screen will be optional.

farnham said:
i really hope these wii 2 rumors are all false and nintendo will not release a wii 2 in the next 2 or 3 years.

the wii isnt even 5 years old and nintendo has build up a solid userbase. also they did not get into the 149 and 99 price point yet.

why would they just abandon the system and make a wii 2 ? it makes little to no sense to me.

they will have a hard time convincing new users as the wii is a cheaper alternative and better graphics are just not enough to convince casuals (they would have bought 360 or ps3 in the first place), they will have trouble with software support as the wii 2 is comming of the wii (which had arguably worse third party support then the gamecube), their own first party resources are allocated towards 3ds...

the only advantage in releasing an HD console now is the "hope" that thirdparties will take nintendo seriously and release some shoddy ports. which of course wont happen.

dude, the Wii is dying out. you'd be mad to even deny that. third parties have jumped ship. the console will be 5 years old this year. it's time for a new console

farnham

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
I think it's more they never intended the wii to be more than a 5/6 year venture, regardless of how good or bad it's selling.
this makes little sense. you dont just release a platform and say "no matter what the sales are we will support it x years"

if it sells well you will support it for as long as you can and if its a virtual boy you pull the support asap

antonz

Nintendo will likely break the 100 million Wii mark when all is said and done. They can be very happy with that mark. They are still like 25% ahead of where the PS2 was at the same time in its lifecycle. If things had gone differently who knows where the Wii could have ended up

farnham

Banned
From The Dust said:
dude, the Wii is dying out. you'd be mad to even deny that. third parties have jumped ship. the console will be 5 years old this year. it's time for a new console
its still not at 149 or 99 dollars. there is plenty of room for price drops and those usually bump up the sales numbers

and thirdparties never even considered supporting the wii. for them the wii was dead on arrival and they never changed their stance.

its all about games like wii fit 3 and wii sports 3 (and wii play 2 which comes out soon) to maintain the sales.

wii is far from dead
antonz said:
Nintendo will likely break the 100 million Wii mark when all is said and done. They can be very happy with that mark. They are still like 25% ahead of where the PS2 was at the same time in its lifecycle. If things had gone differently who knows where the Wii could have ended up
and... people say the wii is dead.

hilarious

Mithos

LovingSteam said:
Do you also defend Friend codes?

Only bad shit with friendcode, 1 per game, *grrr*, But 3ds fixes that to 1 per console.
Other then that, "friendcode" or "gamertag" same shit different name.

AniHawk

Mithos said:
Only bad shit with friendcode, 1 per game, *grrr*, But 3ds fixes that to 1 per console.

what's easier to remember, awesomeguy0324 or 9932-2198-3984?

Woffls

farnham said:
this makes little sense. you dont just release a platform and say "no matter what the sales are we will support it x years"

if it sells well you will support it for as long as you can and if its a virtual boy you pull the support asap
So what, they wait until fall 2012 and notice that the sales are bottoming out, then decide to release a new console as soon as possible? No. They've projected sales to reach a certain point by Fall 2012, and N6 will be there straight away to take over.

watershed

Banned
farnham said:

While you always support hardware as long as its reasonably profitable these things are designed with life cycles in mind. 5-6 years is the general life span of a console or handheld. So it makes sense for Nintendo to be making a move onto the next cycle.

Also the wii is in a state of decline despite being profitable. It is losing its market share fast and the most reliable market, the core gamers, are leaving it in droves. This all signals a new cycle. The $150 price point is the legacy console price point, but it may go down to $100 before the end for a final boost.

farnham

Banned
pestul said:
Nah, sales are dropping and the shiny new has worn off. They need a new HD console next year.
apana said:
Wii is declining rapidly. Going from 20 million last year to an estimated 16 million in sales this year is not a natural rate of decline.

as i said price drops and new wii__ titles can revitalize the market.

also who will buy the new console ?
artwalknoon said:
While you always support hardware as long as its reasonably profitable these things are designed with life cycles in mind. 5-6 years is the general life span of a console or handheld. So it makes sense for Nintendo to be making a move onto the next cycle.

Also the wii is in a state of decline despite being profitable. It is losing its market share fast and the most reliable market, the core gamers, are leaving it in droves. This all signals a new cycle. The $150 price point is the legacy console price point, but it may go down to $100 before the end for a final boost.
nintendo never aimed to hardcore gamers with the wii.

Mithos said:
No. I am not going to remember a freaking string of numbers to give to others. I know my GAF log in name, my gamer tag and PSN ID. The friend code? Useless. No defending it in this day and age.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
LovingSteam said:
Do you also defend Friend codes?
Yes
No :(

I just wanted to state that the actual number of RAM Megs doesn't really say a lot about how stuff will look on a console, console architecture is way different compared to a notebook.

DoomXploder7 said:
I think it's more they never intended the wii to be more than a 5/6 year venture, regardless of how good or bad it's selling.
I don't know if Nintendo's ever operated like that though. In the past they've only ever seemed to release new hardware when they absolutely have to (except for handheld revisions of course). If the Wii were still selling now like it was in '08-'09 I doubt that we'd be hearing these rumors.

farnham said:
i really hope these wii 2 rumors are all false and nintendo will not release a wii 2 in the next 2 or 3 years.

the wii isnt even 5 years old and nintendo has build up a solid userbase. also they did not get into the 149 and 99 price point yet.

why would they just abandon the system and make a wii 2 ? it makes little to no sense to me.

they will have a hard time convincing new users as the wii is a cheaper alternative and better graphics are just not enough to convince casuals (they would have bought 360 or ps3 in the first place), they will have trouble with software support as the wii 2 is comming of the wii (which had arguably worse third party support then the gamecube), their own first party resources are allocated towards 3ds...

the only advantage in releasing an HD console now is the "hope" that thirdparties will take nintendo seriously and release some shoddy ports. which of course wont happen.
Aren't you the doom and gloom guy (or girl) from the Media Crate threads? And you're asking why Nintetendo would abandond the Wii?

They probably aren't abandoning it though as it wouldn't surprise me if the treated the new system as a third pillar for the first couple years it's on the market.

linkboy

farnham said:

Or maybe Nintendo will keep the Wii on the market and slowly phase it out, much like they did with the NES, SNES, GBA, currently with the DS and what Sony did with the PS1 and PS2.

The only reason they cut the N64 and GC like they did was because those systems didn't sell like their other consoles.

Since Nintendo is making a profit on the Wii, I'm pretty sure they could manage to keep it around much like the PS2 is still around. A cheap console with a decent library of games.

Donnie

farnham said:

Its not that simple, they also have to think about the future. Wii might still be selling really well in most regions. But if they believe that in a years time it won't be selling well, then they may think its best to strike with a new console while Wii's image is still good. Or they may just see a gap in the market for a new system that will carry them along years after Wii would have died off, and they've decided to take it rather then dwell on what they already have.

farnham

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
Aren't you the doom and gloom guy (or girl) from the Media Crate threads? And you're asking why Nintetendo would abandond the Wii?
yes and i firmly believe that nintendo would be better off releasing some more wii sports, wii play and wii fit titles.. im intrigued they are making wii play 2. its a good move.

antonz

linkboy said:
Or maybe Nintendo will keep the Wii on the market and slowly phase it out, much like they did with the NES, SNES, GBA, currently with the DS and what Sony did with the PS1 and PS2.

The only reason they cut the N64 and GC like they did was because those systems didn't sell like their other consoles.

Since Nintendo is making a profit on the Wii, I'm pretty sure they could manage to keep it around much like the PS2 is still around. A cheap console with a decent library of games.
Yep I could see them doing a slow kill of the Wii. They are just now getting ready to cut it to 150 in NA. Next year they will drop it to 99 and have their new Wii2

Woffls

farnham said:
yes and i firmly believe that nintendo would be better off releasing some more wii sports, wii play and wii fit titles.. im intrigued they are making wii play 2. its a good move.
Extension strategies don't work so well for gimmicks. It will be interesting to see how poorly WiiPlay: Motion sells relative to WiiPlay.

AniHawk said:
what's easier to remember, awesomeguy0324 or 9932-2198-3984?
Codes avoid the confusion of "oh is that a zero? Is that a 1? How many x's is that? Unified format has its advantages over complex gamer tags. Obviously people like us lot will likely have something at least remotely intuitive, but there's people out there with ridiculous tags with numbers all over the place that look more like passwords. What's easier to remember, zZU|tr@Sn1p3rZz13494 or 9932-2198-3984?

[edit]I don't actually know if you can have special characters in tags, but still.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Important Note: The R700 is the Radeon 4000 HD series. The Xbox 360's GPU is based on the R500 (an upgraded Radeon X1900 variant with some R600 features) for comparison.

So...if I'm reading this right, the Wii2 GPU is 200 times more powerful than the 360's GPU? :O :O :O

farnham

Banned
the problem with wii 2 is that most of the early adopters are not interested in nintendo platforms anymore. not only did most of the so called hardcore gamers jump ship of the wii. they abandoned nintendo platforms in general in the n64 and GC days.

they need something like the wii. a concept that will make casuals jump on the board day one.

and so far it looks like a cheap graphics update with a touch screen tablet thingy on top of that.
Woffls said:
Extension strategies don't work so well for gimmicks. It will be interesting to see how poorly WiiPlay: Motion sells relative to WiiPlay.
wii fit plus and wii sports resort already sold very well

dunno what you are talking about

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I want to know which developer was the source of the quote "Nintendo is doing it right this time" when referring to the graphics. I can't imagine some of these higher-level developers saying that unless the machine is pretty powerful.

If it's Ubisoft, though...

Vanille

Saint Gregory said:
They probably aren't abandoning it though as it wouldn't surprise me if the treated the new system as a third pillar for the first couple years it's on the market.

Support for the Wii is pretty much already non-existent, I can't see Nintendo backing it any longer than they absolutely have to.

Donnie

LovingSteam said:
No. I am not going to remember a freaking string of numbers to give to others. I know my GAF log in name, my gamer tag and PSN ID. The friend code? Useless. No defending it in this day and age.

Yeah just like those pesky phone numbers. Who can remember a phone number to give it too a friend?, only people with memories, who has a memory in this day and age?, or a piece of paper?! :D

Seriously though, obviously a name is easier and I'm not sure what the rationale is for using numbers instead, but surely after a while you'll just remember the numbers?

effzee

DoomXploder7 said:

That and maybe they are trying to stay head of the curve. They see their sales dwindling and they don't have much great 3rd party support so they decide to strike first. Could work. While MS and Sony are playing catch up in the market and motion controls, Nintendo could potentially introduce the next "new" thing to bring more gamers in. Just hopefully this time they don't abandon traditional gamers by not attracting 3rd parties and a slow flow of AA 1st party games.

antonz

Plinko said:
I want to know which developer was the source of the quote "Nintendo is doing it right this time" when referring to the graphics. I can't imagine some of these higher-level developers saying that unless the machine is pretty powerful.

If it's Ubisoft, though...
I would think the French site is talking with someone at Ubisoft. Ubisoft people were behind the leaked chinese hardware pics etc of the 3DS

farnham said:
Who says that they won't? The PS2 still has new games coming out for it over ten years after it launched so why wouldn't Nintendo continue to support the Wii. Everyone knows Nintendo loves low production costs so I doubt that this will be a situation where once the Wii 2 hits Nintendo shifts all their resources to the new system.

I would bet that they're goal in releasing this beefed up hardware is to give an outlet to their internal studios that want to work on more advanced games and appease all of these third party developers begging for new hardware to work on (why is that again when the 360 and PS3 are doing so well?).
Vanille said:
Support for the Wii is pretty much already non-existent, I can't see Nintendo backing it any longer than they absolutely have to.
We say that every year around this time and then boom - new games announced at E3.

farnham

Banned
Vanille said:
wii never had any support

its not new that it has non existent support
Saint Gregory said:
Who says that they won't? The PS2 still has new games coming out for it over ten years after it launched so why wouldn't Nintendo continue to support the Wii. Everyone knows Nintendo loves low production costs so I doubt that this will be a situation where once the Wii 2 hits Nintendo shifts all their resources to the new system.

another good reason why i doubt that nintendo will rush into a new line of consoles.
Saint Gregory said:
I would bet that they're goal in releasing this beefed up hardware is to give an outlet to their internal studios that want to work on more advanced games and appease all of these third party developers begging for new hardware to work on (why is that again when the 360 and PS3 are doing so well?).

lol third parties will not work on nintendo platforms. they just wont. there will be some other excuse next time around and nintendo should better know it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
farnham said:

It did have a good round of support in 2007/2008, mostly small quirky games and spinoffs, but at least it was something.

Woffls

farnham said:
wii fit plus and wii sports resort already sold very well

dunno what you are talking about
Probably because they were released in 2009 when Wii was still selling like hot cakes.

watershed

Banned
farnham said:

Wii party says Hi.

Part of the problem is that the Wii is losing consumer attention. New hardware means a new opportunity to grab people's attention and to offer a new proposition.

The market is in the mood for a new Nintendo console, now is the time to start building up to that release. E3 is the start not the release date, the wii will still have plenty of time on the market.

If you question why Nintendo needs new hardware look at the 3ds. The ds was still dominating the market outside of Japan when the 3ds launched. But despite the ds being very profitable Nintendo saw that it was time to transition new hardware. So the launched the 3ds and while it builds its install base the ds continues to sell gangbusters (400K+) last month I think.

M74

Plinko said:

This is what I was trying to get into pages ago. What can we make of this statement by the developer, if all these specs are even close to accurate? What's been done "right"?

farnham

Banned
Andrex said:
It did have a good round of support in 2007/2008, mostly small quirky games and spinoffs, but at least it was something.
i agree that the wii has its share of small quirky games especially from japan.

but that is not the result of big support from the publishers. thats a result of HD development being too costly

Plinko

M74 said:
This is what I was trying to get into pages ago. What can we make of this statement by the developer, if all these specs are even close to accurate? What's been done "right"?

Well, as somebody said earlier, the GPU could make a world of difference.

Foffy

Banned
This may be a bit unrelated to the device, but do we know when Nintendo's E3 event is? I know Sony's already has a date and time (June 6th - 8 PM EST).

effzee

-Pyromaniac- said:
that's what speculation is. We take what we have. And it's not like it's a bunch of bullshit rumours we have, they all seem founded off of some truth considering how similar they all were when they came out. I think it's enough to speculate on.

And when more news comes out people will speculate on that.

No speculation is crazy mock ups, coming up with reasonable ideas of what the controller might do, what the new innovative feature might be, and what they need to improve on.

Things like "OMG IT HAS A TABLET I AM PASSING IT UP".

Re-read what I wrote. I even said if the rumor about "notch" up 360 specs comes to be true than I would understand the disappointment.

ReyVGM

farnham said:
the problem with wii 2 is that most of the early adopters are not interested in nintendo platforms anymore. not only did most of the so called hardcore gamers jump ship of the wii. they abandoned nintendo platforms in general in the n64 and GC days.

You can be sure that if titles like Metal Gear Solid Something or Virtua Fighter 6/Tekken 7/Street Fighter Whatever or Fallout 4 are announced since day 1, hardcore gamers will pick the console up.

Problem is those games, if they ever come, they come much much later in the system's lifespan. By then it will be too late.

effzee

M74 said:

Hopefully that means more than one thing.

Powerful system, fixed online play, and catering to both traditional game concepts and new innovative way to play games.

farnham

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Wii party says Hi.

wii party sold very well and bumped up the wii hardware sales a bit in japan.

its not a premier wii__ title unfortunately and the advertisement outside of japan was not that great. i really think it was a missed opportunity
artwalknoon said:
Part of the problem is that the Wii is losing consumer attention. New hardware means a new opportunity to grab people's attention and to offer a new proposition.

The market is in the mood for a new Nintendo console, now is the time to start building up to that release. E3 is the start not the release date, the wii will still have plenty of time on the market.

Who says the market is in the mood ? some hardcore gamers that will not buy a nintendo platform in the first place ?

the big chunk of nintendo consumers are the casuals and i doubt that those people are interested in a new nintendo platform unless they come up with a concept that is as great as the wiimote...

and no a cheap tablet is not looking like that concept

artwalknoon said:
If you question why Nintendo needs new hardware look at the 3ds. The ds was still dominating the market outside of Japan when the 3ds launched. But despite the ds being very profitable Nintendo saw that it was time to transition new hardware. So the launched the 3ds and while it builds its install base the ds continues to sell gangbusters (400K+) last month I think.

yeah and the 3ds is getting outsold by the psp in japan and already it looks like a big failure.

actually 3ds is a good example. they rushed to the market with a lackluster lineup and now psp is outselling it in japan and they are not really breaking any records elsewhere.

farnham

Banned
ReyVGM said:
You can be sure that if titles like Metal Gear Solid Something or Virtua Fighter 6/Tekken 7/Street Fighter Whatever or Fallout 4 are announced since day 1, hardcore gamers will pick the console up.

Problem is those games, if they ever come, they come much much later in the system's lifespan. By then it will be too late.
like that will happen

konami, capcom, sega and bethesda all ignored the wii

i see little reason to believe that those publishers suddenly will turn to the wii

ElRenoRaven

farnham said:

another good reason why i doubt that nintendo will rush into a new line of consoles.

lol third parties will not work on nintendo platforms. they just wont. there will be some other excuse next time around and nintendo should better know it.

Yea but now it's even fighting for Nintendo's support. That's not good. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom