• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
H_Prestige said:
I wonder how you guys would like it if GAF also used friend codes instead of unique names.
ok, i don't get it, friend codes are only used to add friends, when you pop into a game or interact with others it doesn't say "0009-2823-8362 wants to play" you get to choose a name to be addressed by. that is in no way comparable to our usernames here being unique names.

farnham

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Yea but now it's even fighting for Nintendo's support. That's not good. lol
thats our speculation

we dont know what nintendo is developing right now

and yes nintendo first party support is the main reason i am against a new nintendo console anytime soon

they will leave an almost 100 million userbase to a bleak lineup just to build up a sub 5 million userbase

antonz

From The Dust said:
they changed the schedule? oh god the world is ending!
Yep not only have they changed it. They moved it from early morning/noon to 5 PM PST.

Its a very odd move. Kinda Guessing we will see Microsoft Early Day/Sony Late Evening then Opening Day Nintendo all alone before event starts.

DoomXploder7 said:
ok, i don't get it, friend codes are only used to add friends, when you pop into a game or interact with others it doesn't say "0009-2823-8362 wants to play" you get to choose a name to be addressed by. that is in no way comparable to our usernames here being unique names.

In fact Gaf operates exactly how 3DS system does.

Instead of Numbers its an email address that is represented by a nickname of our choosing and an avatar of our choice is our Mii

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think "powerful system" means different things to different people. To me, something above PS3/360 is powerful enough for right now. It's not balls-to-the-wall powerful like PS3 was 5 years ago, but a year (or more) release advantage and a system more powerful than any out right now can be huge for them--especially with 3rd-parties.

They've just got to convince them to make games for the system.

Also, the cost is another huge thing for consumers. If Nintendo goes the route the rumored specs are showing, cost isn't going to be huge. If they can pull off releasing a console for $199 or $229 when their competitors are most likely not going to be under $300 in a down economy that would be another huge boost.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
farnham said:
like that will happen

konami, capcom, sega and bethesda all ignored the wii

i see little reason to believe that those publishers suddenly will turn to the wii

They turned from largely ignoring the Xbox to largely making the 360 the lead platform. A generation change shakes everything up, don't underestimate it.

antonz said:
Yep not only have they changed it. They moved it from early morning/noon to 5 PM PST.

Its a very odd move. Kinda Guessing we will see Microsoft Early Day/Sony Late Evening then Opening Day Nintendo all alone before event starts.

Instead of Numbers its an email address that is represented by a nickname of our choosing.

I can't take this! goodbye cruel world! ;_;

AniHawk

Foffy said:
But this time Sony's event is before the event actually starts, just like Microsoft usually does.

well it kinda sucked that sony's conference was happening while people were walking the floor at e3.

Woffls

Oh god NO! They changed the conference schedules? Last year was so perfect because the earliest was at 5pm GMT+1 and the latest was like 9pm GMT+1. Can we make educated guesses at start times? I don't mind staying up.

antonz said:
Instead of Numbers its an email address that is represented by a nickname of our choosing and an avatar of our choice is our Mii
We also have unique user ID's that we can't choose. That's pretty much a friend code right there.

farnham

Banned
Andrex said:
They turned from largely ignoring the Xbox to largely making the 360 the lead platform. A generation change shakes everything up, don't underestimate it.
i dont know what motivated all those third parties to make 360 games instead of wii games despite the big userbase lead.

but if nintendo cant convince third parties with a greater userbase there will be little to nothing to convince third parties to make games for them.

moneyhats maybe. but thats something nitnendo does not do.

Plinko said:
I think "powerful system" means different things to different people. To me, something above PS3/360 is powerful enough for right now.
but you have to be remember it's what will be used for many years. That's the problem with only doing a bit better than something we've had for 5-6 years. So until 2018ish you'll be using tech only a little better than something we got in 2005.

antonz

Sony may have gotten early word that Nintendo is unveiling Wii 2 so said fuck it we are not going after them to be swallowed alive by Nintendo in the press. They go the day before and get a small window of time to make headlines

linkboy

farnham said:
thats our speculation

and yes nintendo first party support is the main reason i am against a new nintendo console anytime soon

they will leave an almost 100 million userbase to a bleak lineup just to build up a sub 5 million userbase

So, did you feel that way when Sony went from the PS1 to the PS2. Hell, how about when they went from the PS2 (the most successful home console) to the PS3. They threw away a lot more then what Nintendo would be.

farnham said:
like that will happen

konami, capcom, sega and bethesda all ignored the wii

i see little reason to believe that those publishers suddenly will turn to the wii
Even though the 3DS is off to a slow start the decisions Nintendo made when developing it shows that they're trying to listen to what will make 3rd parties happy and they've already got a lot of early support to show for it. I don't see why they wouldn't extend that same philosophy to this new system.

antonz said:

No. If I want to PM someone, I just have to know their username. It won't help me to know their email address. GAF is set up exactly like XBL or PSN. Your information is kept private, but you have a username that your friends can type in without looking at an email or sheet of paper as you type. Having to read random numbers is like using a telephone. Outdated and unnecessary.

farnham

Banned
linkboy said:
So, did you feel that way when Sony went from the PS1 to the PS2. Hell, how about when they went from the PS2 (the most successful home console) to the PS3. They threw away a lot more then what Nintendo would be.
well

ps1 and ps2 had third party support there were a lot of quality third party titles on ps1 actually even after ps2 launched (FF9 and DQ 7). nintendo has no third party support. never had never will. if they cut their support on the wii to be the lone supporter of their next system wii will just die a horrible death of nothingness
Saint Gregory said:
Even though the 3DS is off to a slow start the decisions Nintendo made when developing it shows that they're trying to listen to what will make 3rd parties happy and they've already got a lot of early support to show for it. I don't see why they wouldn't extend that same philosophy to this new system.
what is that early support ? ports galore

antonz

Woffls said:
Oh god NO! They changed the conference schedules? Last year was so perfect because the earliest was at 5pm GMT+1 and the latest was like 9pm GMT+1. Can we make educated guesses at start times? I don't mind staying up.

We also have unique user ID's that we can't choose. That's pretty much a friend code right there.
Sonys 5PM PST conference is going to be like 1 AM GMT

antonz said:
Sony may have gotten early word that Nintendo is unveiling Wii 2 so said fuck it we are not going after them to be swallowed alive by Nintendo in the press. They go the day before and get a small window of time to make headlines

that and their old position was always shitty for them, and last year and 3ds might have convinced them to do so just as much as getting word of wii 2. Isn't ubisoft usually where they are now? basically i think all the conferences will stay in the times they usually are besides sony and maybe ubisift.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
farnham said:
i dont know what motivated all those third parties to make 360 games instead of wii games despite the big userbase lead.

but if nintendo cant convince third parties with a greater userbase there will be little to nothing to convince third parties to make games for them.

moneyhats maybe. but thats something nitnendo does not do.

The 360 exploded because:

1. It came out a year before the other two consoles.
2. Microsoft was gunning very hard for key third-party devs.
3. The system itself was very developer-friendly.

Nintendo will most likely have 1 and 3 with Wii 2 if these rumors are true. And if they are true, then these leaks are because of western devs, which signals a key shift in strategy towards third-party developers. That, combined with the 3DS's strong third party support, make me believe they might have all three in the bag with Wii 2. But, who knows.

linkboy

farnham said:
well

ps1 and ps2 had third party support there were a lot of quality third party titles on ps1 actually even after ps2 launched (FF9 and DQ 7). nintendo has no third party support. never had never will. if they cut their support on the wii to be the lone supporter of their next system wii will just die a horrible death of nothingness

Then explain how the Wii took off. The GC and N64 weren't the great bastion of 3rd party games, yet the Wii managed to do what nobody thought it would.

Nintendo has been the sole supporter of their consoles going back to the N64

Woffls said:

What!?

antonz said:
You are probably right lol

watershed

Banned
farnham said:
thats our speculation

I don't understand what you're saying, what "sub 5 million userbase" are you referring to? It takes time for a userbase to build. The Wii didn't sell 100 million overnight though it did sell like hot cakes. Also as evidenced by the monthly NPD software sales charts, the problem isn't that the wii isn't moving hardware its that its not moving software. At most 1 or 2 titles break the top 10. This means consumers aren't interested in what's being offered.

Seeing as how this decline is in line with a typical console life cycle Nintendo figures its time for new hardware. And about the 3ds I don't think its a failure at all. It takes time to build an install base and Nintendo is aware that they gave it a premium price. And the ds continues to sell very well. So I see these next several months leading up to the holiday season as a transitional period.

I did find it extremely weird that Sony was not only going before E3 kicks off but also at night. I think there is a decent chance they got early word.

farnham

Banned
Andrex said:

Nintendo will most likely have 1 and 3 with Wii 2 if these rumors are true. And if they are true, then these leaks are because of western devs, which signals a key shift in strategy towards third-party developers. That, combined with the 3DS's strong third party support, make me believe they might have all three in the bag with Wii 2. But, who knows.
yeah the dreamcast was out early and it was developer friendly as well... didnt help out all that much did it

also.. ds, gba, gbc, gb you name it never had problems with third party support. a strong 3ds thirdparty support tells me nothing

farnham said:
yeah the dreamcast was out early and it was developer friendly as well... didnt help out all that much did it

also.. ds, gba, gbc, gb you name it never had problems with third party support. a strong 3ds thirdparty support tells me nothing

I know you're a troll, but this is still hilarious.

farnham

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I don't understand what you're saying, what "sub 5 million userbase" are you referring to? It takes time for a userbase to build. The Wii didn't sell 100 million overnight though it did sell like hot cakes. Also as evidenced by the monthly NPD software sales charts, the problem isn't that the wii isn't moving hardware its that its not moving software. At most 1 or 2 titles break the top 10. This means consumers aren't interested in what's being offered.

how can it move software if they dont release anything. thats the problem. nintendo should make those cheap wii__ games and fed it to the casuals rather then making a new console that only a small portion of the gaming population will have any interest in.

artwalknoon said:
Seeing as how this decline is in line with a typical console life cycle Nintendo figures its time for new hardware. And about the 3ds I don't think its a failure at all. It takes time to build an install base and Nintendo is aware that they gave it a premium price. And the ds continues to sell very well. So I see these next several months leading up to the holiday season as a transitional period.
we will see. but as far as the launch goes i think it was underwhelming
AceBandage said:
I know you're a troll, but this is still hilarious.
so you are saying those platforms had weak thirdparty support ?

Woffls

farnham said:
nintendo has no third party support. never had never will. if they cut their support on the wii to be the lone supporter of their next system wii will just die a horrible death of nothingness
Nintendo are making an effort to court 3rd parties. There is evidence with the 3DS launch titles, there was evidence at the E310 conference, there is evidence within these rumours. They have given 3rd parties dev kits 18 months in advance and seem to be taking all the right steps with regards to hardware and online. Remember Nintendo have historically been, almost to the point of paranoia, secretive of their projects. They knew this would happen, and did it anyway, because that's how important 3rd parties are to them this time.

abstract alien said:
I mean from last year. Or did that not happen either? I might be making all of this up =\

farnham said:
well

I'm on the "Wii is dead already" side of the fence but let's assume you are right and Nintendo delays its Wii successor for a few more years. What is Nintendo to do when it's time to release a new console?

farnham said:
what is that early support ? ports galore
Support is support. I wouldn't expect every third party to have new ground-up 3D games ready in time for a system launch but the 3DS has pretty much every major developer on board with games in development and I'm sure there's going to be a ton a stuff revealed at E3. That's already a major change when compared to the DS and Wii launches.

AniHawk

farnham said:

the dreamcast was out a year and a half ahead of the successor to the best selling system ever, and it was itself the successor to a console that had come out only 4 years earlier.

DrLazy

Imagine a bar or Starbucks buys a Wii2. They buy 16 controllers (bear with me). Players can ask for a controller from the business to join the 16 player Mario Kart match being streamed to their individual screens. It would be perfect set up for a cheap gaming cafe in Korea, China and other growing markets.

Cafe = Gaming Cafe. Bringing players together without the need for a television.

I remember a quote from one of the many Miyamoto interviews. He was asked during the Wii's success where else he sees gaming going in the future. He responded with a bizarre quote that he wanted to eliminate "tethering video games to a television" or something to that effect. Does anyone else remember that quote?

I think that's what Nintendo is attempting. You can play the game on TV or stand-alone or a combination of the both depending on the software. It streams to your controller similar to onlive.

Why not?

This thread is too big to read the whole thing, so my thoughts may be old. Sorry!

farnham

Banned
Woffls said:
Nintendo are making an effort to court 3rd parties. There is evidence with the 3DS launch titles, there was evidence at the E310 conference, there is evidence within these rumours. They have given 3rd parties dev kits 18 months in advance and seem to be taking all the right steps with regards to hardware and online. Remember Nintendo have historically been, almost to the point of paranoia, secretive of their projects. They knew this would happen, and did it anyway, because that's how important 3rd parties are to them this time.

I mean from last year. Or did that not happen either? I might be making all of this up =\
how is a street fighter port, a ridge racer port, a pes port, a monkey ball port and some shoddy ubisoft titles (outside of ghost recon which indeed seems to be a good game.. surprisingly) any indication of an increased effort towards thirdparties.
Saint Gregory said:
Support is support. I wouldn't expect every third party to have new ground-up 3D games ready in time for a system launch but the 3DS has pretty much every major developer on board with games in development and I'm sure there's going to be a ton a stuff revealed at E3. That's already a major change when compared to the DS and Wii launches.
DS had a bad launch for sure (although SM64 alone makes it a better launch then the 3ds launch). but we knew near launch that it will get Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and a lot of other third party titles.

and GBA had a much stronger launch then the 3DS one (Castlevania, Street Fighter 2 Revival etc.)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Andrex said:

They are still going to have problems with the ports from PS4/720 > Wii2. It might get some games day and date with the other consoles for the first year or so, but once the new Sony/MS systems come out with much greater power, you'll see a repeat of this gen, with the Nintendo console getting dumbed down ports (sometimes).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
farnham said:

But Sega didn't go number two.

...by that I mean they focused so much on their first party games, Sony snatched up everyone else. You need all three, and I think that Wii 2 might do it.

antonz

DoomXploder7 said:
that and their old position was always shitty for them, and last year and 3ds might have convinced them to do so just as much as getting word of wii 2. Isn't ubisoft usually where they are now? basically i think all the conferences will stay in the times they usually are besides sony and maybe ubisift.
So far of the major companies I think only Sony has confirmed their time.

MS and Nintendo are both very quiet and I dont think ubisoft has said anything yet

Woffls

farnham said:
how is a street fighter port, a ridge racer port, a pes port, a monkey ball port and some shoddy ubisoft titles (outside of ghost recon which indeed seems to be a good game.. surprisingly) any indication of an increased effort towards thirdparties.
I was referring to Nintendo holding off on Starfox and Ocarina of Time so that 3rd party titles could get some breathing space. They have actually said this first hand, if I remember correctly. The quality of said titles is another matter.

Woffls said:
What are the dates on the big three conferences? I know e3 starts on June 7th, but if things are getting switched around...

farnham

Banned
Andrex said:
But Sega didn't go number two.

...by that I mean they focused so much on their first party games, Sony snatched up everyone else. You need all three, and I think that Wii 2 might do it.

no you need marketshare. unless your name is nintendo
Woffls said:
I was referring to Nintendo holding off on Starfox and Ocarina of Time so that 3rd party titles could get some breathing space. They have actually said this first hand, if I remember correctly. The quality of said titles is another matter.
wow holding off a few n64 ports surely indicates a shift in nintendos stance towards third parties.
ShockingAlberto said:
If Farnham is against it, it's probably a fantastic idea.
if you cant give any convincing arguments just insult the person

great strategy

Boney

Banned
abstract alien said:
What are the dates on the big three conferences? I know e3 starts on June 7th, but if things are getting switched around...
I think Sony's conference is the 6th at night

maybe...

A.KU.MU

Banned
DrLazy said:
Imagine a bar or Starbucks buys a Wii2. They buy 16 controllers (bear with me). Players can ask for a controller from the business to join the 16 player Mario Kart match being streamed to their individual screens. It would be perfect set up for a cheap gaming cafe in Korea, China and other growing markets.

Cafe = Gaming Cafe. Bringing players together without the need for a television.

I remember a quote from one of the many Miyamoto interviews. He was asked during the Wii's success where else he sees gaming going in the future. He responded with a bizarre quote that he wanted to eliminate "tethering video games to a television" or something to that effect. Does anyone else remember that quote?

I think that's what Nintendo is attempting. You can play the game on TV or stand-alone or a combination of the both depending on the software. It streams to your controller similar to onlive.

Why not?

Sounds very interesting indeed.

Woffls

abstract alien said:
I think we only know the Sony details as being June 6th at 8pm Eastern. For some reason I thought the times had changed, but that actually sounds like last year's now I think about it >_< Forget I said anything. It's 3am, and this is the 2nd sign I should go to bed :p

On a separate note, maybe many of Nintendo's games being outsourced these days is because they're all making games for N6? There must be a lot of internal studios unaccounted for. Not to mention Retro etc

farnham said:
wow holding off a few n64 ports surely indicates a shift in nintendos stance towards third parties.
Respecfully, I think I'll end this avenue of discussion.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sony's actually changed theirs to Monday night.
Wow, that's weird. Maybe they have something secret to show!

It'd make sense for Nintendo to be the last one and "save the best for last" just in case this madness is all true.

farnham

Banned
brochiller said:
It's more than they did for the launch of the original DS.
and as a result they have an even shittier launch lineup then the one they had for the ds.

with the only difference being that the ds at least had good follow up titles while the 3ds lineup for the next few month looks even more barren then the wii lineup
Woffls said:
Respecfully, I think I'll end this avenue of discussion.

i believe its pretty ridiculous to think that delaying a few titles is indicating anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom