• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnham

Banned
Mithos said:
In Japan maybe, not in America though, then its June and September.
yeah as i said. the ds at least let you import those games

maybe thats why i never had the problem with the early ds lineup too

AniHawk said:
they do need to come close to get third party support though. just so it receives multiplatform releases like the ps3 and 360 got (except for their next gen counterparts).
That makes sense, but I think Nintendo felt incredibly burned after the Gamecube years in which the third parties pretty much ignored them despite the similar tech. I'm sure that's one of the major reasons why they said "fuck it, we'll do what we want" while designing the weak hardware for the Wii.

Everything depends on if they felt that the lack of third party support on the Wii was a major problem or not. I know most of us on Gaf would agree that it hurt them, but Nintendo doesn't always think the way we do. It's going to be very interesting to see if they pull another Wii and make another underpowered console, since if they do they that means they have pretty much given up on ever having anything more than some token third party support.

Eteric Rice

I'm hoping that the current specs are just early or something, and not finalized.

I hope they have at least a gig of a RAM. Come on Nintendo, don't put yourself in the position of not getting multi-plat games AGAIN.

Anyway, I wonder if it's possible that publishers are asking console makers to not make a huge jump next gen. Possibly for cost reasons? I know I read earlier that another leap would increase costs around x 3. So like, $60,000,000 for an AAA game.

I mean hell, this generation a single failure can kill a company. If the costs jump that much, holy shit.

HYDE

Banned
3D is and will always be a gimmick.....I've never liked it since the first time I saw that Michael Jackson shit in the Disneyland theaters during the early 80's. My wife fucking hates it too.

Edit: I hope the 3DS Lite will make 3D more of an option than a selling point, it's atrocious.

farnham

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
That makes sense, but I think Nintendo felt incredibly burned after the Gamecube years in which the third parties pretty much ignored them despite the similar tech. I'm sure that's one of the major reasons why they said "fuck it, we'll do what we want" while designing weak hardware for the Wii.

It all depends on if they felt that the lack of third party support on the Wii was a major problem or not. I know most of us on Gaf would agree that it hurt them, but Nintendo doesn't always think the way we do. It's going to be very interesting to see if they pull another Wii and make an underpowered console, since if they do they have pretty much given up on ever having anything more than token third party support.
yeah i dont understand the mantra of some people here.

why abandon all the uniqueness nintendo had thanks to their decision in favor of some shoddy ports ?

also looking at the sales numbers and profits i believe nintendo faired better this gen then they faired with the Gamecube (which was pretty much what people on this forum seem to want. a nintendo platform that is pretty much the same as the xbox and the playstation)
HYDE said:
3D is and will always be a gimmick.....I've never liked it since the first time I saw that Michael Jackson shit in the Disneyland theaters during the early 80's. My wife fucking hates it too.

Edit: I hope the 3DS Lite will make 3D more of an option than a selling point, it's atrocious.
3D is already an option

HYDE said:
Please tell me that you didn't just diss Captain EO.

watershed

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I'm hoping that the current specs are just early or something, and not finalized.

I hope they have at least a gig of a RAM. Come on Nintendo, don't put yourself in the position of not getting multi-plat games AGAIN.

Anyway, I wonder if it's possible that publishers are asking console makers to not make a huge jump next gen. Possibly for cost reasons?

I think development costs are on everyone's mind right now. At GDC Iwata talked about this and 3rd party developers have complained about the high cost of development and the low prospect of returns killing off a lot of studios. Also there was a very long conversation a few pages back about the law of diminished returns. I'd be willing to bet that the next generation is not as big a graphical leap as this one was from the last.

zero_suit

farnham said:
also looking at the sales numbers and profits i believe nintendo faired better this gen then they faired with the Gamecube (which was pretty much what people on this forum seem to want.

Understatement of the century..

Pimpbaa

AniHawk said:
i think something like a racing game, platformer, fighting game... basically anything that makes you use the slider pad is going to have crappy 3d, just because you'll be inadvertently moving the entire system slightly, screwing up the sweet spot. this was the case with rayman 2. when i played the best launch game, ghost recon, i also had 3d on, but it was far, far better, and i think it's because it's a strategy game that only needed me to use the d-pad (and occasionally the touch screen, but not during normal gameplay).

I never had no such issue with the slider. Now using the d-pad in SSF4 on the other hand, I'm constantly going out of the sweet spot when I try to do moves.

evangd007

Eteric Rice said:

Anyway, I wonder if it's possible that publishers are asking console makers to not make a huge jump next gen. Possibly for cost reasons? I know I read earlier that another leap would increase costs around x 3. So like, $60,000,000 for an AAA game.

I mean hell, this generation a single failure can kill a company. If the costs jump that much, holy shit.

You know, the dev kits may not even be complete or representative of the final configuration. They might send out the PowerPC/R700 kit because it's "close enough" to Trinity or whatever it will end up with.

Recall that Perfect Dark Zero for 360 was made primarily using a dev kit that ended up being 1/3 the power of the 360 itself.

apana

HYDE said:

Have you ever went on those 3D movie amusement park rides where the monster comes out of the screen and is trying to cut your head off? Yeah most awesome thing ever. Nature made three dimensions of space for a reason.

Pimpbaa

HYDE said:

Yeah! Who needs depth perception?! Lets all gouge out one of our eyes in protest!

antonz

evangd007 said:
You know, the dev kits may not even be complete or representative of the final configuration. They might send out the PowerPC/R700 kit because it's "close enough" to Trinity or whatever it will end up with.

Recall that Perfect Dark Zero for 360 was made primarily using a dev kit that ended up being 1/3 the power of the 360 itself.
The Specs are American Game Journalists talking out their ass. No actual specs have been actually discussed. The French said They have no idea on whats inside the machine but to be HD they need to have a minimum of things.

Thats reported as this is what it has by sites eager for hits

HYDE said:

Lol what??? It is an option for goodness sake. Do you even know what you are stating?

HYDE

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
That slider actually moves, you know.

I know, I want it to be more of a menu thing turn off 3d or turn on 3d, and an adjustable slider kind of like the games that have a darkness slider before you begin your game.
Why did Nintendo think they needed to add another gimmick, instead of just put the money toward better graphics, ram, etc... the NGP is looking better and better this time around.
The DS was instantly exciting, the 3DS however..... I am in complete accord with Amirox in regards to 3D being anything necessary.

I'll just be buying the games and waiting for 3DS Lite... while I laugh at the early adopters.

antonz

ColonelColon said:
The codename Cafe suggests that one of the key features of this new console will either involve wifi or an integrated coffeemaker.
Teaming up with Gevalia for their new Hybrid Console/Coffee Maker. Free with new order of coffee

apana

The name Project Cafe is one of the reasons I don't believe this stuff. Something about it sounds very unlike Nintendo to me.

farnham

Banned
HYDE said:
I know, I want it to be more of a menu thing turn off 3d or turn on 3d, and an adjustable slider kind of like the games that have a darkness slider before you begin your game.
Why did Nintendo think they needed to add another gimmick, instead of just put the money toward better graphics, ram, etc... the NGP is looking better and better this time around.
The DS was instantly exciting, the 3DS however..... I am in complete accord with Amirox in regards to 3D being anything necessary.

I'll just be buying the games and waiting for 3DS Lite... while I laugh at the early adopters.
actually you can do that over parental control

ColonelColon said:
The codename Cafe suggests that one of the key features of this new console will either involve wifi or an integrated coffeemaker.

no no i got it, the cafe refers to the fact the console streams a cup of game to every controller screen.

HYDE said:
Can't you go into the parental controls to turn the 3D off? I haven't looked on my unit but from what I understand the option is there.

HYDE

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
Can't you go into the parental controls to turn the 3D off? I haven't looked on my unit but from what I understand the option is there.

Good, I'm glad. I will be applying that immediately when I buy my 3DS Lite Holiday 2012.

HYDE

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
no no i got it, the cafe refers to the fact the console streams a cup of game to every controller screen.

Nope, it's because the excitement of playing the games will be like consuming a coffee's amount of caffeine.

HYDE said:

I don't even care about 3D and bought a 3DS as an upgrade from my DS Phat. Yet I don't even know what you're saying anymore. How would it be better in any way to turn 3D on/off in a menu that can only be accessed from a dashboard (though it seems you CAN do that through parental control) than just moving the slider whenever you want?

Holy Order Sol said:
I don't even care about 3D and bought a 3DS as an upgrade from my DS Phat. Yet I don't even know what you're saying anymore. How would it be better in any way to turn 3D on/off in a menu that can only be accessed from a dashboard (though it seems you CAN do that through parental control) than just moving the slider whenever you want?

he might accidentally brush up against the slider turning 3d on, the rage from seeing 3d will last 10 days for him, his rage will lead to murder and chaos, do you really want that?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
HYDE said:

are you that dense?? You have to be joking..anyways..
there's a slider that can go from 2D to 3D and vice versa.

HYDE

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:

Because it stays permanently that way, how I would want it to stay, permanently off.
Not kind of on or kind of off, all the way off, and would stay off. Can you understand 3D isn't for everyone? And yes, I've demoed the system to know I want it to stay that way......
I feel it is a gimmick in it's entirety.

edit: @DoomXplodez.... pretty much what you said. Not really though, no rage just fury. Only 10 kills not 20 without dying.

Shalashaska161 said:
That makes sense, but I think Nintendo felt incredibly burned after the Gamecube years in which the third parties pretty much ignored them despite the similar tech. I'm sure that's one of the major reasons why they said "fuck it, we'll do what we want" while designing the weak hardware for the Wii.

Everything depends on if they felt that the lack of third party support on the Wii was a major problem or not. I know most of us on Gaf would agree that it hurt them, but Nintendo doesn't always think the way we do. It's going to be very interesting to see if they pull another Wii and make another underpowered console, since if they do they that means they have pretty much given up on ever having anything more than some token third party support.
The GC was similar tech wise but the small 1.5 GB discs made multiplatform ports a nightmare compared to the PS2/Xbox. Let's hope whatever the end specs are for Wii2 that there's a large media format included in them.
HYDE said:
Because it stays permanently that way, how I would want it to stay, permanently off.
Not kind of on or kind of off all the way off and would stay off. Can you understand 3D isn't for everyone? And yes, I've demoed the system to know I want it to stay that way......
I feel it is a gimmick in it's entirety.

edit: @DoomXplodez.... pretty much what you said.
What in the world. . .

HYDE

Banned
Iron_Scimitar said:
Console launches make me feel young again. Thats my fountain of youth. Fuck a lazarus pit.

Me too, I hardly have ever really gotten excited for a handheld...other than the GameGear.
I wish I would have lived in the US when DreamCast launched....I'd have been all over that.
I didn't even find out about it until 2001, or Ocarina of time. Man coming back home, after being away for awhile, was so awesome.

HYDE said:
Can you understand 3D isn't for everyone?

I don't use it either. I solved the problem with the slider. Now if you have a poltergeist messing with your 3DS and making the slider move back up on its own I would understand.

evangd007

Saint Gregory said:
The GC was similar tech wise but the small 1.5 GB discs made multiplatform ports a nightmare compared to the PS2/Xbox. Let's hope whatever the end specs are for Wii2 that there's a large media format included in them.

I imagine a GTA where you have to swap discs every time you change islands. The mini-DVDs hamstrung the Gamecube more than Nintendo thought.

KevinCow

Banned
HYDE said:

Anyone who continues to perpetuate this "3D is a gimmick and adds nothing to the game" line should really play Pilotwings in 3D for a couple hours, then try switching to 2D. If you do this, or if you have done this, and you still think 3D has nothing to add to games, then you might just have a poor sense of depth perception.

It's not something that'll invent new genres or revolutionize gaming as we know it, but it's nice to have that increased 3D spatial awareness. And if it isn't your thing, then hey, you can just turn it off.

antonz

evangd007 said:
I imagine a GTA where you have to swap discs every time you change islands. The mini-DVDs hamstrung the Gamecube more than Nintendo thought.
Exactly just like skipping CDs for the 64 really screwed them. It really was a major misstep with the GC to yet again have a smaller capacity format. After the N64 Yamauchi and company should have known better

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy Order Sol said:
I don't use it either. I solved the problem with the slider. Now if you have a poltergeist messing with your 3DS and making the slider move back up on its own I would understand.

Hey, it's a well known fact that 3D in electronics attracts ghosts.

HYDE

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Considering his juvenile comments in this thread, I doubt he was even alive back then (or have a wife).

Born in 1980, and have a pregnant wife along with three kids. Good grief, is it really hard to comment without insulting someone. How do you make assumptions based off of internet posts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
antonz said:
Exactly just like skipping CDs for the 64 really screwed them. It really was a major misstep with the GC to yet again have a smaller capacity format. After the N64 Yamauchi and company should have known better

Hopefully, Wii 2 will be packing Blu-ray. But I'm not betting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom