• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeal

Banned
brochiller said:
I kinda (really) hope Nintendo just made the Wii so it could make a shit load of money off of the casual market to fund a ton of R&D for it's next console and subsequently turn its back on the casuals.

that's actually 100% correct, and their next system will prove it. i have always viewed the Wii as a non-system, and i highly regret purchasing one.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
farnham said:
yeah you dont. but they give nintendo more moniez then the so called nintendo fans did in the N64 and GC days. so its pretty clear who nintendo will try to capture.

They actually don't. The N64 userbase was full of several million sellers. What the Wii had is a couple of phenomenons that sold incredibly well while everything else sold like rocks. But here comes the problem. The market that Nintendo once was able to sell "Brain-Age" and "America's Test Kitchen" for 20-30$, is almost non-existant since the entire world pretty much has a phone that can play "Brain Master" for 0.99 cents now.

Why do you think Nintendo came out of the game with the 3DS with a ton of "recognizable" intellectual properties? Times are changing. Nintendo can not trust an entire hardware on people who don't LOVE games enough to spend $39-$59 dollars if they can get cool cheap casual games on their phones and ipads.

This generation is going to be very different. Nintendo has to work hard to recapture the core market, and it has to come out left field to lure the more casual gamers this time around.

Every generation has "the others" that are "totally ruining gaming".

I remember when people were mad that RPGs were being played by people who hadn't even played them on the NES.

Or the generation where people were being suckered in by shitty controllers with D-Pads and saccharine-sweet run-righters like Super Mario Bros.

Or the generation where Halo was bringing in those brutes that wore backwards hats and only played first-person games.

Every single one shared one sentiment in common: "Why can't things be the way they used to be?"

apana

Nintendo accidentally sent me a their new controller in the mail. Damn I'm having fun right now guys, took a picture for you:

Immersion_Haptic_Force_Feedback_Workstation.jpg

I was right all along, it was haptic feedback!

Zeal

Banned
apana said:
Nintendo accidentally sent me a their new controller in the mail. Damn I'm having fun right now guys, took a picture for you:

everyone knows this is the Armored Core 5 Limited Edition controller.

dvolovets

Shikamaru Ninja said:
They actually don't. The N64 userbase was full of several million sellers. What the Wii had is a couple of phenomenons that sold incredibly well while everything else sold like rocks. But here comes the problem. The market that Nintendo once was able to sell "Brain-Age" and "America's Test Kitchen" for 20-30$, is almost non-existant since the entire world pretty much has a phone that can play "Brain Master" for 0.99 cents now.

Why do you think Nintendo came out of the game with the 3DS with a ton of "recognizable" intellectual properties? Times are changing. Nintendo can not trust an entire hardware on people who don't LOVE games enough to spend $39-$59 dollars if they can get cool cheap casual games on their phones and ipads.

This generation is going to be very different. Nintendo has to work hard to recapture the core market, and it has to come out left field to lure the more casual gamers this time around.
100% agree with this post. All I know is that these are very interesting times for the gaming industry. :)

farnham

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

nintendo 64 had one game that sold more then 10 million

wii has 5 games that sold more then 20 million

also im not talking about brain masters but wii sports, wii sports resort, wii fit, mario kart wii and new super mario bros wii

hardly 99 cent apps

ReyVGM said:
Nintendo needs to announce this thing already. I'm getting tired of all the speculation.

Get ready for 1.5 years of it. I'm sure right up until launch people will be expecting one more huge surprise, and we'll end up with getting a fucking select button on the controller or something.

ElRenoRaven

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Exactly. You hit it perfectly on the head. Those casuals they got for the Wii won't be there for them this next gen. Hell they're already starting to abandon them this gen.

evangd007 said:
The R700 was speculation, and even if correct, it could be a lower powered stand-in for the final hardware. This practice is not uncommon. Perfect Dark Zero was made on a dev kit less powerful than the 360. Goldeneye 007 was made on a dev kit more powerful than the N64, which is why it had atrocious slowdown.

The 360 first dev kits were moddified Power Mac G5s, Nintendo may have shipped dev kits with a 3 core processor and 4850-4870 graphics card.

Game-Biz

apana said:

Nah, that's a early prototype...Here's the final version:

lcd_smartie_coffee_lcd_mug-p1689574830229599422l9gv_400.jpg

antonz

OG_Original Gamer said:
The 360 first dev kits were moddified Power Mac G5s, Nintendo may have shipped dev kits with a 3 core processor and 4850-4870 graphics card.
Which coincidently are mostly similar to a 5770 that would likely be on a Trinity APU ;)

farnham

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. You hit it perfectly on the head. Those casuals they got for the Wii won't be there for them this gen. Hell they're already starting to abandon them this gen.
like nintendo fans are enough in numbers to sustain a platform

nintendo going back to gamecube would be the stupidest move iwata could do

Is it confirmed anyone actually has a devkit yet?

I get the feeling the leaks were Nintendo having a rudimentary thing running and going to developers and asking what they think.

Speaking of which, Jackson has been weirdly absent!

Instro

ShockingAlberto said:
Every generation has "the others" that are "totally ruining gaming".

I remember when people were mad that RPGs were being played by people who hadn't even played them on the NES.

Or the generation where people were being suckered in by shitty controllers with D-Pads and saccharine-sweet run-righters like Super Mario Bros.

Or the generation where Halo was bringing in those brutes that wore backwards hats and only played first-person games.

Every single one shared one sentiment in common: "Why can't things be the way they used to be?"

This generation we will just blame you for totally ruining gaming. Its all your fault!

I'll just say a few things because most everything has already been said:

1. CRY MOAR to those "bitter" that Nintendo is not doing whatever they want them to. If you don't like what their offerings are there are two perfectly good options available. Each company has their merits and faults. If duebro games are what you want you must not have been paying attention to the last 3 generations of Nintendo consoles to realize they don't exactly cater to you.

2. Stop over reacting to minimal unconfirmed information from dubious sources. This thread is seriously painful to read with people whyning how a new Nintendo console is bound to be underpowered. Again, what makes you think that Nintendo is gonna do a 180 just because all of a sudden? Their hardware has never been sold at a loss, there's no reason why this will change.

3. Stop whyning over "gimmicky" controllers. In case the obviousness of it escapes you the industry is based on things that were once considered a "gimmick". This includes hardware and software aspects of gaming. It's really annoying when people use the word to describe something that they consider beneath them or a hassle. If you don't like "gimmicks" in games you should really consider getting another hobby.

4. Be open to new experiences and you will have more fun and enjoy you games more. Games thrive on this and Nintendo has always embraced this in their hardware and software. They are not perfect in any way but they know how to maintain their relevance even as new competitors take sizable chunks of the market. Why do you want them to be just like Sony or Microsoft when the very fact that they are different and unique to this industry is their main strength and the reason they are so successful?

Yes I want more third parties, yes I want a competent online structure. No I don't need another me-too console that is gonna be a port machine to PS3 and, 360 games. I AM glad Nintendo is looking to address this issues and I hope that they are serious about it but by god I don't expect them to come out of their conservative ways in a swift stroke. Doing that would be setting myself for disappointment.

ReyVGM

brochiller said:
Get ready for 1.5 years of it. I'm sure right up until launch people will be expecting one more huge surprise, and we'll end up with getting a fucking select button on the controller or something.

Hehe.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo has always thought of themselves to attract every market, not just hardcore or casual, but always both... they would be wise to continue that path, to focus on either one would be a bad move

ElRenoRaven

farnham said:

They would be if Nintendo actually went out and got a lot of real 3rd party support. That's the problem all said and done. If you have the call of duties, the grand theft autos, etc that are every bit as good as the other guys the people will come.

Ubisoft shovelware isn't going to bring the gamers in. That's been proven. You need the 3rd parties. You need all of them. Not just one or two.

Game-Biz

ShockingAlberto said:
Is it confirmed anyone actually has a devkit yet?

I get the feeling the leaks were Nintendo having a rudimentary thing running and going to developers and asking what they think.

Speaking of which, Jackson has been weirdly absent!
Nothing confirmed...According to Edge, Ubisoft has had devkits for "months". And who's Jackson?

P90

Shikamaru Ninja said:

ZOE3, Panzer Dragoon, DQXI, Muramasa 2, Onimusha 4, persona 6, augmented with Ninty' s franchises and wii social games would cover things well.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The point is to make a system that appeals to all core gamers. Not just Nintendo gamers. And certainly not only casual gamers. The market that has proven it will buy games consistently. Yes, the Wii has a couple of phenomenons, but the market is completely unstable and supports about 2-3 million sellers a year. And it is basically the same type of games that sell! It is horrible for licensees really. Even horrible for Nintendo that has a market that won't buy half of their games.

ReyVGM

You know what? I think a lot of those rumors all bullshit.

Nintendo is always 100% secret about the controller, because that's what Sony likes to copy the fastest, so why would they show them to Euro/USA companies when they know they going to spread the info and criticize it to no end?

I would believe them having a dev kit, but I don't they they would have a controller.

Instro said:
This generation we will just blame you for totally ruining gaming. Its all your fault!
Hey, it's not my fault that me and Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemote were sitting around talking about virtual animal games and I said "A world full of virtual pet games? Imagine that."

He heard what he wanted to hear.

evangd007

farnham said:

Hate to break it to you bro, but the Gamecube represented what happens when only Nintendo fans sustain a platform. Casuals have no brand loyalty. But don't take my word for it, ask Sony.

antonz said:
Which coincidently are mostly similar to a 5770 that would likely be on a Trinity APU ;)

Now this speculation is getting somewhere!

farnham

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
No I don't need another me-too console that is gonna be a port machine to PS3 and, 360 games. I AM glad Nintendo is looking to address this issues and I hope that they are serious about it but by god I don't expect them to come out of their conservative ways in a swift stroke. Doing that would be setting myself for disappointed.
exactly. thats why i think going all out with a new console is a mistake unless they have some mind bending new feature or gimmick that will pull in the casuals once again.

neptunes

Medalion said:
Nintendo has always thought of themselves to attract every market, not just hardcore or casual, but always both... they would be wise to continue that path, to focus on either one would be a bad move
You can't have broad appeal while trying to cater to a specific market at the same time, because you fail at doing both. Just be broad. (Does that make any sense?)

HYDE

Banned
ReyVGM said:
You know what? I think a lot of those rumors all bullshit.

Nintendo is always 100% secret about the controller, because that's what Sony likes to copy the fastest, so why would they show them to Euro/USA companies when they know they going to spread the info and criticize it to no end?

I would believe them having a dev kit, but I don't they they would have a controller.

Maybe they just know all the things the controller will have, because they need to know how to program the game and to what inputs. The form factor might be the only thing they know nothing about.

ElRenoRaven

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The point is to make a system that appeals to all core gamers. Not just Nintendo gamers. And certainly not only casual gamers. The market that has proven it will buy games consistently. Yes, the Wii has a couple of phenomenons, but the market is completely unstable and supports about 2-3 million sellers a year. And it is basically the same type of games that sell! It is horrible for licensees really. Even horrible for Nintendo that has a market that won't buy half of their games.

Again you're right on the money. If I had a choice between a Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo console that had all of the 3rd party games like GTA, COD, etc and the big difference was the 1st party games I'd buy the Nintendo one in a heartbeat. I'd put Nintendo's first party offerings up against anyone's. That's how you win everyone.

farnham

Banned
evangd007 said:
Hate to break it to you bro, but the Gamecube represented what happens when only Nintendo fans sustain a platform. Casuals have no brand loyalty. But don't take my word for it, ask Sony.
thats what im saying

rushing into a new console with only better graphics (and a tablet controller which does not sound like anything new) will be a hardsell for casuals and only cater to existing nintendo fans resulting into a gamecube like situation
Shikamaru Ninja said:

sure if you can hit all the audiences then you should do it. but the reality is that you probably have limited resources. you have to prioritize an audience and clearly thats the casual player not the nintendo fan. its nintendos job to find out what casuals like and sell that to them. so far they have done well. they created games that sold much more then any of the hardcore nintendo fan stuff did and also most of the core nintendo franchises increased in their sales numbers compared to the n64 or gc days.

and thirdparties.. lulz as they ever took an effort to make anything worthwhile on wii.

Thoraxes

I think with this upcoming generation Nintendo will be ever better with the moves they make on both the 3DS and Super Wii.
Honestly, the Wii and DS were their testbeds for all their ideas they had, and they had decent success with them. Now that they've had 6/5 years to figure out how to make the market respond (and oh did it ever), they've probably got a much better idea of what sells to what crowds, and probably have a better idea on how to handle the pacing of a system that caters to bother the "Casual" and "Hardcore" markets.

I think with their new systems, there will be more constant flow of quality games for both audiences, and that we won't have significant droughts from them like we have in the past.

The 3DS already seems to be doing good in this regard, with all their announced games and all. We'll probably be seeing a quality Nintendo release on them every 2-4 months, and good third-party efforts year round. (also 3rd party multiplats back on a Nintendo home console excite me)

evangd007 said:

Was going to say the same thing. If anybody can sustain a platform with little third party support, it's Nintendo, and they're been proving it since 1996.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ReyVGM said:
Nintendo is always 100% secret about the controller, because that's what Sony likes to copy the fastest
ahahahahahah

You're really not talking about the Move controller, are you? The one Sony was developing back in 2000? Give me a break.

Instro

ShockingAlberto said:
Hey, it's not my fault that me and Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemote were sitting around talking about virtual animal games and I said "A world full of virtual pet games? Imagine that."

You probably gave them the idea for that shitty DRM they use too!

Also someone light the Jackson signal, we need his input.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol gamers will never be happy. Nintendo goes for the casuals, "wah, they're not catering to me anymore." Nintendo goes for the gamers, "wah, it's gonna be another GameCube."

KevinCow

Banned
A.KU.MU said:
We know - but we still have to pay for something we don't want - 3D that is.

Do you use every feature of every console you've ever had? Do you play every level of every mode of every game?

You often wind up paying for things you don't want. But if you think the price is fair for the features that you'll use, does it matter? And if you don't think the price is fair for the features that you'll use, then wait for a price drop.

P90 said:
You know gta and cod are "casual" games. Like it or not, "casuals" rule the gaming world, to great extent.

"FUCK CASUALS!!!

...Except when they latch on to the games I like, make them sell millions, and ensure that more games of that sort will be made."

HYDE

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

You got a chuckle out of me, that was good. Did you really say that to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom