• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

AniHawk said:
the people who bought the 360 at launch.

Microsoft changed their terms of service so that you can't buy a new system within a year of canceling Xbox Live Gold. It's a non-compete clause that is typical for the industry.

AniHawk

-Pyromaniac- said:
I always thought that the percentages for console release for MS and Sony were 85% for late 2013 and 15% for late 2012. But now I'm starting to think it might be 60/40 for late 2013 and late 2012-early 2013. Going off this Nintendo news and also that guy who apparently worked for AMD that said next xbox would come out in fall 2012.

yeah, i think nintendo and microsoft will both go in 2012. microsoft will probably roll kinect into their new system. or maybe they'll actually rebrand their console line as kinect.

in either case, sony's got a problem, but the best scenario for them is if microsoft feels satisfied with current 360 sales and rides out the generation until 2013.

birdchili said:
the same pubs that didn't make stuff for gamecube?

changing perceptions, both on the dev/pub side, and with the gamers that have been derisive of lots of what they've been doing lately is going to be hard.
Gamecube? The last place system with the least memory and smallest disc format? You expect port hungry publishers to base Wii 2 support off something like that?

Gamecube got a decent amount of western support anyway (better than Wii even), where it fell down was Japan, who were still in an one console mindset, and traditianlly PC devs who'd only started to flirt with consoles via Xbox (they also ignored PS2). The developer landscape today is a lot different than it was in those days.

Nintendo's main issue with Wii 2 won't be in getting support, it'll be in building a market for that support. It took PS3 years to get to a respectable position with 3rd party sales, and I think this is going to be a pretty tough road for Wii 2. But getting the games, at least initily, won't be a problem at all.

Averon

If Nintendo want to recapture the hardcore, they better do a complete overhaul of their online network. PSN level at least.

Koodo

Banned
I hate being hyped for rumors of an announcement.

Oh fuck, there's the choo choo of the hype train. I don't want to board it yet. :(

NateDrake

BroHuffman said:
Kid Icarus (Project Sora) is first party as far as I know.

And wasn't Steel Diver done in house?
Kid Icarus is technically a third-party title. Same dev team as Smash Bros Brawl. Nothing to do with Nintendo.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
subversus said:
Like Mario? This game won't benefit from HD. If they want to recapture hardcore they need someone like Epic to do stuff. Well, Capcom at least.
Capcom seems likely though, if their 3DS support is anything to gauge by.

Fantastical said:
Do you think we'll get a clear word on a "differentiator"? I guess we would have to, but it seems like giving MS and Sony a year head start to cook up something to compete seems like a bad idea.
Yeah, we probably won't learn much about it at this years E3. Maybe a few game teasers and the design of the console itself. That's my hunch anyways.

AniHawk said:
the people who bought the 360 at launch.

Agreed

If Call of Duty '12/Madden '13/Tiger Woods '13/FIFA '13 are shinier and sparkier on Wii 2, many people will jump in, provided the controls and online aren't total shit.

Depending on how much more powerful the Wii 2 is, they may force MS and Sony to launch in 2013 to avoid falling too far behind in mindshare. I don't think either company's image can be sustained in a world where Nintendo has the best version of every multiplatform game for 2-3 years.

subversus said:
Like Mario? This game won't benefit from HD. If they want to recapture hardcore they need someone like Epic to do stuff. Well, Capcom at least.
My point, and this can be aimed at either the skeptics or the "Oh man Nintendo just totally won at Video Games!!!" groups, is that we really have nothing to go on at this point.

Donnie

Darklord said:
Well the Wii is much more powerful than an Xbox but it still looks pretty shitty for most games. And if it's next gen then damn right it should be more powerful.

Wii is more powerful then XBox overall, but has a more limited rendering pipeline then XBox which is why it doesn't look better graphically. Any new console from Nintendo will have a full shader model x pipeline, so it won't be anything like the Wii/XBox situation.

I'm ready. Haven't bought a console at launch since the Gamecube and I'm ready to hitch my wagon if this all turns out to be true. Goddamn I'm ready.

Majine

Banned
The Second Nintendo Cycle.

1. Initial rumors, fans think the next console will have 4D, 2000p, uber online functionalities and Zelda every day.
2. Nintendo announce the new consoles at E3. Fans lower their expectations of the systems capabilities based on the info.
3. Nintendo launches the new system. The graphics are nothing spectacular, the online is still shitty altho a step up from the previous attempt, and the launch games are all shovelware. The fans, altho stung, still give in and buy it.
4. See 1.

Sadist

Luckyman said:
Nintendo has a huge problem. Their new system is running exactly the same games as PS3/360 only prettier. Who is going to buy it at $399 when 360 costs sub $200?
Yeah, people buying the next gen of hardware is truly unheard off.

AniHawk

BroHuffman said:
Kid Icarus (Project Sora) is first party as far as I know.

And wasn't Steel Diver done in house?

all this time i thought sora was like propes, and not actually owned by nintendo. maybe they secretly have game arts making the game again.

steel diver was done by vitei, giles goddard's studio.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Agreed

If Call of Duty '12/Madden '13/Tiger Woods '13/FIFA '13 are shinier and sparkier on Wii 2, many people will jump in, provided the controls and online aren't total shit.

Depending on how much more powerful the Wii 2 is, they may force MS and Sony to launch in 2013 to avoid falling too far behind in mindshare. I don't think either company's image can be sustained in a world where Nintendo has the best version of every multiplatform game for 2-3 years.
I think Microsoft is ready. I have no idea about Sony. We've just heard about them having to go back to the drawing board.

Steve Youngblood said:
My point, and this can be aimed at either the skeptics or the "Oh man Nintendo just totally won at Video Games!!!" groups, is that we really have nothing to go on at this point.
That doesn't mean we can't have a bit of fun until we know more.

Branduil

Averon said:
If Nintendo want to recapture the hardcore, they better do a complete overhaul of their online network. PSN level at least.
I think this is at least as important as the graphics aspect, if they want the dudebro market.

What about game format? Can Nintendo use bluray?

Nintendo really needs the support of Western devs like Epic or Bethesda if they want this one to take advantage of the supposed horsepower. My thinking is this will not happen but it would be nice to see some collaboration.

MisterHero

NateDrake said:
Kid Icarus is technically a third-party title. Same dev team as Smash Bros Brawl. Nothing to do with Nintendo.
Uh Nintendo owns a controlling share of Project Sora, and their top people recruited the boss of Sora Ltd (ex-Nintendo) to work their top-secret handheld

KAL2006

Banned
If it is backwards compatible to Wii/GameCube games and upscales the games like Dolphin emulator then this will be really tempting. I think it would be cool if the Nunchuck has motion plus as well so we can get 1:1 sword and shield games.

AniHawk

Majine said:
The Second Nintendo Cycle.

1. Initial rumors, fans think the next console will have 4D, 2000p, uber online functionalities and Zelda every day.
2. Nintendo announce the new consoles at E3. Fans lower their expectations of the systems capabilities based on the info.
3. Nintendo launches the new system. The graphics are nothing spectacular, the online is still shitty altho a step up from the previous attempt, and the launch games are all shovelware. The fans, altho stung, still give in and buy it.
4. See 1.

the n64's online was not a step up over the snes's. your thing is invalid.

Azure J

How many people just got vindicated with this news? Ono, Drinky (Thursdayton am real), Pachter (lol), and from skimming the more recent posts, "Chittadamus"... Sheeeit

DieH@rd

Banned
Im calling it. It will be called NES HD, or something simmilar with NES in the title. No more Wii bullshit, they are going hardcore.

Woffls

Wow, could this force Microsoft to rush another console to launch? It doesn't sound like they'll be ready for another 2 years, so I think they'd be safe waiting 1 year to release a successor. Not that many people will jump ship within a year, especially not to Nintendo when they're just playing CoD with all their bros on XBL.

Let's say its powerful enough to do a straight PC port of BF3 (DX11), with a higher level of tessellation, 16k textures, you know the whole enchilada. Can you hold out for Wii2 port?

neptunes

Whether or not this comes out fall 2012, I can still see Sony and MS waiting until 2013 to launch their respective successors.
This is assuming that Nintendo is still going after a broader demographic and not specifically catering to the hardcore.

I still see 3rd parties continuing to partner with MS and SONY, and that wont change any time soon.

Just gonna say that there seems to be a lot of potential with this system. A system with first party Nintendo games and full 3rd party support- eastern AND western, could possibly be one of the greatest consoles ever. Don't screw it up, Nintendo :)

AniHawk

BMF said:
I think Microsoft is ready. I have no idea about Sony. We've just heard about them having to go back to the drawing board.

sony has about 20 games this year for the ps3 and 6 more in 2012. they also have whatever remaining people working on ngp games. i think a launch next year is completely out of the question.

subversus said:
Like RE6 (timed) exclusive?

I still hope that its a year off I want to save money and I hope zelda is NOT a bridge game.

I want a NEW zelda for the NEW console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom