• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm surprised more people aren't going through old Iwata Asks to try to glean information. Or maybe I skipped those posts lol

Threads been kind of hard to keep up with.

antonz

GDGF said:
I'm surprised more people aren't going through old Iwata Asks to try to glean information. Or maybe I skipped those posts lol

Really hasnt been too much else since the controller info. A few places ran some guesses as facts for hits though

GDGF said:

The only thing I remember that either Iwata or Reggie said that stuck out to me was something to the effect of:

"If we are going to do a new console, one would expect that we'd wait until we found something more compelling than just a graphics upgrade"

Doorman

ReyVGM said:
9,000 posts...

Come monday, more rumors, 9,000 posts more.
Are more rumors even needed at this point to fuel another 9,000 posts? Speculation is already running far beyond any actual data we've received that I'm not sure it matters much anymore.

NewFresh

apana said:
Well we've speculated about every single piece of technology known to man, the answer is somewhere in this thread.

Have we talked about the possibility of the reincarnation of the Sega Saturn 3D pad as a possible controller design
sega-saturn-control-pad-3d.jpg

ReyVGM said:
I'd bet it's nothing mentioned in this thread.
Nah, whenever we go through these exercises there's always one person in the thread who's guess is almost exactly right. Unfortunately that person is usually ridiculed and chased out of the thread before anyone takes their guess seriously. It's like some kind of Cassandra syndrome.

joshwaan

The Xtortionist said:
Still holding out for the inevitable 1080p 60FPS F-Zero with 30-player online play and Halo Reach-style file sharing for custom tracks and vehicles.

Fuck yeah to this +100 :)

Instro

The Xtortionist said:
Still holding out for the inevitable 1080p 60FPS F-Zero with 30-player online play and Halo Reach-style file sharing for custom tracks and vehicles.

Fuck yea, lets hear some rumors about that kinda shit.

Game-Biz

Iwata to Jackson:

iwata-1.jpg

No other piece of equipment has been misidentified as the Wii 2 more often than the iPad or Kindle tablets.

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare seeing is believing? Mr. Jackson, your scientific illiteracy makes me shudder, and I wouldn't flaunt your ignorance by telling anyone that you saw anything other than a Wii with and iPad tablet next to it, because if you do, you're a dead man.

The Xtortionist said:

heck yea , that , star fox by retro and Super smash Bros. with a proper online system all in the first 6 months/year . Believe!

In an alternate Universe:
In Nov. 2004 an anonymous source leaks microsoft's new console has graphics 'a notch' above xbox graphics. it is later revealed said source saw Need For Speed: Most Wanted
nfs.jpg

ANOTHER source says the upcoming console will be 'SIGNIFICANTLY' better than xbox.
This source later revealed the game it saw was PGR3.
pgr3x3114.jpg

I repeat:
need-for-speed-most-wanted-x360-013.jpg

Vs
gallardosedashboard_2.jpg

Both were launch games, neither source was lying.

BACK TO REALITY
An anonymous source is saying Wii2 is ' a notch' above, another 'significantly'
hmm...
I know those pgr shots were probably 'photo mode', especially that last one, but still...

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The Xtortionist said:

You forgot Death Race.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Have we talked about the possibility of the reincarnation of the Sega Saturn 3D pad as a possible controller design

Sadly no. I'm also waiting for some mock-ups using Zeebo controlers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Smash Bros. will be an interesting one. Even with the small increase in the Wii's power, Brawl looks worlds better than Melee.

Even going through Dolphin the textures still hold up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EatChildren said:
Smash Bros. will be an interesting one. Even with the small increase in the Wii's power, Brawl looks worlds better than Melee.

Brawl's textures are truly phenomenal. It wouldn't surprise me if they ported it to Wii 2, redid the online, and sold it in lieu of an official Sakurai-blessed Smash Bros.

EatChildren said:

Smash Bros. is a system seller. All they have to do is replicate Xbox Live for it instead of the terrible system they had in the past for Wii.

Andrex said:
Brawl's textures are truly phenomenal. It wouldn't surprise me if they ported it to Wii 2, redid the online, and sold it in lieu of an official Sakurai-blessed Smash Bros.

After Brawl, I would prefer a non-Sakurai blessed Smash Bros. at this point.

EatChildren said:

If they can get out a Smash Bros out before the competition launches, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh who am I kidding, they'll do that even if they can't.

DoomXploder7 said:
heck yea , that , star fox by retro and Super smash Bros. with a proper online system all in the first 6 months/year . Believe!

Don't remind me. I bought Brawl for it's online which turned out to be the most fucking pathetic thing I've ever seen. 2 second input delay when I played 1v1 against my friend who lives 10 minutes away. Plus no partying up for 2v2, no 1v1 no items playlist...It's got me raging even now.

On topic - Will be interesting to see if the more powerful tech will lead to definitive multiplats, and if the system can steal communities like Call of Duty, etc...

statham

farnham said:
im saying thats not enough to convince casuals to buy the new console in droves
you want hardcores buying your system, casuals came come later

sheesh: I think hes a closet nintendo fan turned PS3 fan that doesn't want anyone to one-up PS3 on graphics. really who wouldn't want a hd zelda or mario. he grew up on nintendo and now sony and now wants to believe they are king. reread the last few pages I'm sure I might be right
edit: I sound like a idoit.

RagnarokX

carlo6529 said:
How do you use the touch screen simultaenously then?

Edit~I mean when holding the controller, sideways like a classic controller.
You... don't. You know, like when you use the Wiimote that already exists in the exact same way.

ElRenoRaven

Game-Biz said:
Iwata to Jackson:

iwata-1.jpg

No other piece of equipment has been misidentified as the Wii 2 more often than the iPad or Kindle tablets.

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare seeing is believing? Mr. Jackson, your scientific illiteracy makes me shudder, and I wouldn't flaunt your ignorance by telling anyone that you saw anything other than a Wii with and iPad tablet next to it, because if you do, you're a dead man.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!

Ah I needed a good laugh tonight and you supplied me one. I owe you one.

Holy Order Sol said:
Let Ono handle it.

wait what

lolololol, yes. Capcom'll announce that Nintendo has emphatically said they'll never agree to Capcom Vs. Nintendo. The next day, Ono'll be revealed as the special guest director of the next Smash Bros that features a slew of Capcom characters.

Anth0ny

shadyspace said:
After Brawl, I would prefer a non-Sakurai blessed Smash Bros. at this point.

This. Let's not forget what Sakurai thinks about a traditional online system:

IGN: Smash Bros. is a very competitive series, but you have avoided detailed online stat tracking and leader board ranking systems for Brawl. Why is that?

Masahiro Sakurai: Well, I'm sure that people hitting ranks one through 10, were there such a ranking system, would be incredibly pleased with it and having a lot of fun. But, you know, it's not fun for everybody involved per se if such a system were to exist. I was asked this time around to try and get Wi-Fi into the game and so certainly we've managed to get wireless battles so you can play with people in other places. But it's really a game in my mind that has been designed to be played with a smaller group of people -- be that a group of friends or within your house a group of family members -- competing in the small circles and not really worrying about winning and losing so much as the process that gets you there. That is where the fun should hopefully be for a lot of people. It can also be kind of trying and painful for some people who want to be at the top and think that they're really good at Smash and they look at their online ranking and they're the one-hundred-thousandth best Smash Bros. player -- those are some of the reasons I've decided not to go with leader boards.

IGN: Why can't players in random online matches communicate or even see each other's names? What's the philosophy behind that?

Masahiro Sakurai: When thinking about this game and when realizing that we were going to do Wi-Fi, we had to think a lot about the whole idea of communication over the Internet. When we were doing this, one of the things that we paid a lot of attention to is the fact that there are a lot of unpleasant experiences to be had out there, be that being insulted over the Internet or that sort of thing. You know, it's one thing if you're used to it and you're playing a first-person shooter online with 16 people and you know these guys and you're trading insults back and forth and yelling at each other, that's all well and good. But when you've got new players, and one thing I've aimed to do is to really bring new players into the fold, if this is their first online experience I want it to be a pleasant one. I want to dodge and avoid those kinds of situations that could make the whole experience online psychologically damaging or unpleasant, so that's one of the reasons we've decided not to include that feature.

-_-

SAKURAAAIIIIIIIIIIIII

carlo6529

RagnarokX said:
You... don't. You know, like when you use the Wiimote that already exists in the exact same way.

Yes I know... but that is why I'm arguing that it needs another joystick on the actual remote.

VerTiGo

Banned
Meh, I wouldn't mind seeing the Smash Bros. series put to rest for a little while. It's not going to happen though. Third-party support won't get the Wii HD flying off shelves. Nintendo's own efforts are still the main factor regarding any retail success for the platform. In the end, Nintendo will just have remedied the disadvantages it had with the Wii as it's now and even playing field. I wouldn't be surprised if many their heavy hitters came out within its first year of retail. I would much rather see Nintendo vs. Capcom, or would be even more content with Super Street Fighter IV Turbo (which is guaranteed to happen).

People keep on assuming that Sony and Microsoft will be quick to launch their next gen successors to the PS3 and Xbox 360 but there is really no need to or logical reason to do with the state of financial markets, cost of development on HD titles now, etc...

Furthermore, Microsoft is seeing great numbers with the Kinect, which is in fact the successor to the Xbox 360 for the most part. The Wii changed the landscape of the industry and has stretched out the lifespan of the current hardware available on retail.

And by not releasing and overpowered piece of hardware to push the industry into the next gen, along with next gen development costs (which no publisher or developer would be to thrilled about), Nintendo has pretty much made and even playing field and will probably look to launch the Wii HD at a competitive price point when considering the entry price for the Xbox 360 and Kinect.

Sony is kind of in a tough spot however. The Move didn't take off, and granted it doesn't seem like they pushed it enough. Even so, I don't see them rushing to make launch a new console either any time soon.

And lastly, those clamoring for the PS4 and Xbox 720 aren't even thinking about things logically. It's not happening anytime soon. There is no pressure, need or consumer interest to do so anytime soon. I pity graphics whores these days. The industry and consumers in general don't really care about you anymore.

NewFresh

VerTiGo said:
Meh, I wouldn't mind seeing the Smash Bros. series put to rest for a little while.
Its been almost 3 1/2 years. I think that is long enough
Furthermore, Microsoft is seeing great numbers with the Kinect, which is in fact the successor to the Xbox 360 for the most part. The Wii changed the landscape of the industry and has stretched out the lifespan of the current hardware available on retail.
Fact? They labeled it as more of a halfway point for the 360 than a true successor

Sony is kind of in a tough spot however. The Move didn't take off, and granted it doesn't seem like they pushed it enough. Even so, I don't see them rushing to make launch a new console either any time soon.
http://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/statuses/58655721344077824
but kinda agree with your sentiment, just now with your facts

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Its been almost 3 1/2 years. I think that is long enough

It's going to end up being 5 or 6 when all is said and done anyways, although that's if the 3DS doesn't get an installment, which seems somewhat likely.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
VerTiGo said:
Meh, I wouldn't mind seeing the Smash Bros. series put to rest for a little while. It's not going to happen though. Third-party support won't get the Wii HD flying off shelves. Nintendo's own efforts are still the main factor regarding any retail success for the platform. In the end, Nintendo will just have remedied the disadvantages it had with the Wii as it's now and even playing field. I wouldn't be surprised if many their heavy hitters came out within its first year of retail. I would much rather see Nintendo vs. Capcom, or would be even more content with Super Street Fighter IV Turbo (which is guaranteed to happen).

People keep on assuming that Sony and Microsoft will be quick to launch their next gen successors to the PS3 and Xbox 360 but there is really no need to or logical reason to do with the state of financial markets, cost of development on HD titles now, etc...

And by not releasing and overpowered piece of hardware to push the industry into the next gen, along with next gen development costs (which no publisher or developer would be to thrilled about), Nintendo has pretty much made and even playing field and will probably look to launch the Wii HD at a competitive price point when considering the entry price for the Xbox 360 and Kinect.

And lastly, those clamoring for the PS4 and Xbox 720 aren't even thinking about things logically. It's not happening anytime soon. There is no pressure, need or consumer interest to do so anytime soon. I pity graphics whores these days. The industry and consumers in general don't really care about you anymore.
There needs to be a Smash Bros. HD. Sooner the better.

The move didn't take off? Last month they said Kinect topped 10 million and they just said Move sold 8 million.

You keep talking about "now". The earliest the Wii2 would hit is 2012. Everyone pretty much expects ps4/720 in 2013 afaik.

VerTiGo

Banned
Nintendo will use the Wii HD to continue the successes of the Wii. So, all the succesful IPs that sold big on the Wii should make and appearance very early on. The goal here is not to launch the next generation of gaming, we just went through a hybrid era and you could even say that next gen started with the release of the Kinect.

What I expect to appear within the first year of Wii HD's retail life:

[Nintendo]
Super Smash Bros.
F-Zero ZX (perfect showcase for HD visuals)
New Super Mario World
Mario Kart (assuming that MK3DS comes out this Fall)

[Moneyhats]
Super Street Fighter IV TURBO
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Resident Evil Revelations II
Metal Gear Solid 4

Obviously, they will be looking to launch the system with a blue ocean type of game showcasing the hardware's unique features. I do expect Wii Sports to be retired however. Whatever those games did would ideally become the foundation for other sports games or games that utilize those mechanics.

VerTiGo

Banned
DeathNote said:
There needs to be a Smash Bros. HD. Sooner the better.

The move didn't take off? Last month they said Kinect topped 10 million and they just said Move sold 8 million.

You keep talking about "now". The earliest the Wii2 would hit is 2012. Everyone pretty much expects ps4/720 in 2013 afaik.

8 million Move controllers shipped or sold, still insignificant... It has not led to any legit growth for PS3 hardware.

Everyone who expects Microsoft to launch a new console in 2013 should be ready for disappointment. They aren't going to rush to release a new platform when 360 sales are better than ever before. The only way that can happen if they can't keep pushing quality titles out for the Kinect to continue consumer interest. So, with that said "everyone" is fucking retarded.

Anth0ny

VerTiGo said:
Nintendo will use the Wii HD to continue the successes of the Wii. So, all the succesful IPs that sold big on the Wii should make and appearance very early on. The goal here is not to launch the next generation of gaming, we just went through a hybrid era and you could even say that next gen started with the release of the Kinect.

What I expect to appear within the first year of Wii HD's retail life:

[Nintendo]
Super Smash Bros.
F-Zero ZX (perfect showcase for HD visuals)
New Super Mario World
Mario Kart (assuming that MK3DS comes out this Fall)

[Moneyhats]
Super Street Fighter IV TURBO
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Resident Evil Revelations II
Metal Gear Solid 4

Obviously, they will be looking to launch the system with a blue ocean type of game showcasing the hardware's unique features. I do expect Wii Sports to be retired however. Whatever those games did would ideally become the foundation for other sports games or games that utilize those mechanics.

How about COD?

And I think a Smash Bros that shows off the new and improved online would be fantastic.

and taking a page out of Capcom's book, Smash DLC could be worth trillions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom