• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Velti said:
No one else is put off by the concept of a virtual interface?? I like my feedback, thank you!

And, during a fast paced game, when am I going to want to stop and look down at what is essentially my new "start screen"? I'll get my butt whooped while I'm looking away! The whole point is to be able to press "start" or whatever, pause the action, and then adjust your options w/o having to look anywhere else.

The idea of regularly having to look straight at my controller- possibly mid action- is disconcerting.

Maybe there will be a "picture in picture" function on the screen's controller so you can see what's going on when you're looking down. Should be doable if it's just streaming to your controller.

watershed

Banned
DeathNote said:
I don't follow NPD threads but from what I can tell 360 and PS3's total sales are pretty much neck and neck. We have the 50 million January value for the 360 and the 50 million March value for the ps3. Pretty good when the cheapest PS3 is $100 more.

Not that this is the thread to get into NPD debates but no, the 360 has been the consistent market leader for most months with the Wii at 2nd and the PS3 third, often a whole 100,000 units behind the competition.

VerTiGo

Banned
I'm starting to think that the D-PAD won't even be a D-pad on the Wiimote Touch.

I'm leaning towards it being a completely redesigned Wiimote with no physical buttons at all aside from the Power Button. What if there was another touch pad, like a circle where the D-Pad would have been on the Wii-mote that could accurately record 8-way movement.

Quick mock-up i just drew. All black controller by the way.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

watershed

Banned
VerTiGo said:
I'm starting to think that the D-PAD won't even be a D-pad on the Wiimote Touch.

I'm leaning towards it being a completely redesigned Wiimote with no physical buttons at all aside from the Power Button. What if there was another touch pad, like a circle where the D-Pad would have been on the Wii-mote that could accurately record 8-way movement.

Quick mock-up i just drew. All black controller by the way.

But how do you take into account the fact that all the rumors "confirm" physical buttons, with IGN even calling dual analog on the thing? We have face buttons, triggers, and dual analogs all in the rumors. I think d-pad as well actually.

Velti

Neo Member
Spike said:
So, press start to pause, look down at screen, make changes, look up at TV, press start to unpause.
Then why bother with the extra screen at all if I can just bring it up on the TV? So I can look at the "clean" image? Sounds pretty worthless.

I don't get the hate on HUDs. If I want instant information mid-battle, they're perfect, and making them unobtrusive is a matter of design. What's the problem??

But how do you take into account the fact that all the rumors "confirm" physical buttons, with IGN even calling dual analog on the thing? We have face buttons, triggers, and dual analogs all in the rumors. I think d-pad as well actually.
I hope so. I touch screen controller like that is a horrible concept, IMO.

VerTiGo

Banned
artwalknoon said:

It could just be what's provided with dev kits.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Not that this is the thread to get into NPD debates but no, the 360 has been the consistent market leader for most months with the Wii at 2nd and the PS3 third, often a whole 100,000 units behind the competition.
Despite that, coming out a year later, and being 100$ more than the cheapest 360 unit currently, the ps3 is over 50 million shipped and the 360 is under 55 I presume. How is that not good? If the gap was too big for them I'm sure Sony would drop the price.

VerTiGo

Banned
Velti said:
Then why bother with the extra screen at all if I can just bring it up on the TV? So I can look at the "clean" image? Sounds pretty worthless.

I don't get the hate on HUDs. If I want instant information mid-battle, they're perfect, and making them unobtrusive is a matter of design. What's the problem??

I hope so. I touch screen controller like that is a horrible concept, IMO.

Depends on the game and it's design. Some games will need to utilize a HUD to display information. There's not going to be some mandate that restricts the use.

For something like Zelda tho, where you customize the items and the HUD to an extent it could be quite advantageous to create a greater sense of immersion. Especially when its a motion controller to begin with.

The nunchuck is still going to be there. As well as the classic controller.

watershed

Banned
VerTiGo said:
It could just be what's provided with dev kits.
But do you really want buttonless gaming? I have that on my iphone, its way too inaccurate. and going with that haptic solution seems like a waste of money. It also ain't gonna impress anybody.

NewFresh

artwalknoon said:
But do you really want buttonless gaming? I have that on my iphone, its way too inaccurate. and going with that haptic solution seems like a waste of money. It also ain't gonna impress anybody.
Please god NO. This is my fear.

VerTiGo

Banned
artwalknoon said:

It would be limited to the game that are designed to use it effectively or not. For games that rely on motion almost exclusively it would improve the whole concept of it if the motion tech has evolved along with tactile button feedback as well as vibration to represent "cues" in game design.

watershed

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
For crying out loud, Nintendo is NOT gonna release a controller without buttons. Bunch of morons.

I know its gonna have buttons. The rumors also tell us it will have dual analogs so even more physical inputs. My point was why are people doing mock ups with no buttons when the rumors basically tell us exactly what buttons it will have?

VerTiGo

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
For crying out loud, Nintendo is NOT gonna release a controller without buttons. Bunch of morons.

Of course not. A 14 button classic controller will be available day one. As well as the nunchuck. The Wiimote however will evolve.

I would have initially drawn it with no D-Pad replacement at all. But since it's not a multi-touch screen it wasn't feasible for games based on NES gameplay.

Touch D-PAD could possibly mimick analog control as well. All the input rumor confusion could be based on a crude devkit.

smallsoft

Does no anyone else see the writing on the wall???

We have to ask ourselves, why would they integrate a 6 inch screen in the controller? Obviously they want you to play when you're not facing the TV (meaning when you're not at home).

The system can stream games to your controller right, hint hint...

No one has leaked the optical-drive/format for the system, this is another interesting tidbit. Maybes its because you can directly download all your games, and access them via your controller on the go. I am sure they will have an optical drive on the console itself, and release packaged games as well for those without the broadband capability to download.

The name says it all...Project Cafe (they want you to play on the go, they fear Apple and the Ipad). Essentially, the controller has become a portable system, a tablet that let you play your games in sub-HD

robor

smallsoft said:

We have to ask ourselves, why would they integrate a 6 inch screen in the controller? Obviously they want you to play when you're not facing the TV (meaning when you're not at home).

No one has leaked the optical-drive/format for the system, this is another interesting tidbit. Maybes its because you can directly download all your games, and access them via your controller on the go.

I am sure they will have an optical drive on the console itself, and release packaged games as well for those without the broadband capability to download.

The name says it all...Project Cafe (they want you to play on the go, they fear the Ipad).

What gets me though, is that having a controller on the go crosses streams with the 3DS market. In Ghostbusters they always say "NEVER CROSS THE STREAMS!"

antonz

smallsoft said:

No one has leaked the optical-drive/format for the system, this is another interesting tidbit. Maybes its because you can directly download all your games, and access them via your controller on the go. I am sure they will have an optical drive on the console itself, and release packaged games as well for those without the broadband capability to download.

The name says it all...Project Cafe (they want you to play on the go, they fear Apple and the Ipad). Essentially, the controller has become a portable system, a tablet that let you play your games in sub-HD
Blu Ray has been suggested as the format by sources talking to blu-ray.com

beast786

smallsoft said:

https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58991231140773889

smallsoft

This thing will launch in 2012, and you're right...it could cannibalize the 3DS. But I am not sure if the 6-inch screen will be 3D capable or not? So the 3DS still could have that benefit.

The reality is they are very scared of Apple right now.

My main justification for this theory are the reports of:

1) 6-inch screen on the controller...WTF? Why is this necessary?
2) Being able to stream games onto the controller...(again, why is this necessary???)
3) Reports of a huge surprise still coming....

watershed

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
Finally someone who can add 2 + 2 together .This is the only way all this makes sense if we are to believe the leaks.

This idea has already been discussed many times over in this thread, it is nearing 200 pages ya know. But it seems like a very odd move considering the recently released 3ds and the fact that the controller/portable console would be huge, and covered in buttons and triggers and dual analogs making it even bigger than the NGP. Also it doesn't seem like a game changer in the console arena just a new portable in the handheld space.

Touch

robor said:
What gets me though, is that having a controller on the go crosses streams with the 3DS market. In Ghostbusters they always say "NEVER CROSS THE STREAMS!"
It would make much more sense if Nintendo already wasn't already in the handheld market.

Cmagus

Could be really cool if it had 3DS connectivity.If it has a touch screen it would be cool to be able to play your 3DS games on the TV.If those new tv's that supposedly are coming soon with the no glasses thing it could work I'd be down for that.It would also be great to see them integrate a store that allows for play and download to both hand held and console

smallsoft

I think the console itself will still have an optical drive for people who do not have the broadband capacity to download games. Therefore they will still release games through physical channels.

Though, the ability to download games will be there. This is nothing revolutionary, Microsoft and Sony distribute content digitally through their first-party networks....

Nintendo's not going to compete with its own 3DS. I feel the "streaming games to your controller" is entirely overblown. They're probably talking about "streaming" a significant part of the play experience to the controller, such as what Pac Man Vs offered.

That's what I believe. Then again, the more I read, the less makes sense. It's going to recapture the obstinate hardcore market, but it's going to be completely new with a touch screen interface. It's got dual analogs and four or more shoulder buttons, but it's a motion controller more accurate than Move. Honestly, I feel something's got to give, and the first thing to be overblown is the "streaming games" tip.

Spike

Velti said:

First off, you assumed that the controller screen would be used for that purpose. I just pointed out how you would go about it. It is not like there is much difference between seeing the information on the tv screen or the controller screen.

Besides, that is going to be the lazy developer's usage of the extra screen. I'm sure that there will be some nifty ideas to come out of it.

rezuth

smallsoft said:
This thing will launch in 2012, and you're right...it could cannibalize the 3DS. But I am not sure if the 6-inch screen will be 3D capable or not? So the 3DS still could have that benefit.

2) Being able to stream games onto the controller...(again, why is this necessary???)
If it's suppose to support touch it will not feature a 3D screen.

ASIS

smallsoft said:

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the iPad, Nintendo was in the portable market waay before apple.

smallsoft

artwalknoon said:
This idea has already been discussed many times over in this thread, it is nearing 200 pages ya know. But it seems like a very odd move considering the recently released 3ds and the fact that the controller/portable console would be huge, and covered in buttons and triggers and dual analogs making it even bigger than the NGP. Also it doesn't seem like a game changer in the console arena just a new portable in the handheld space.

You're right it wouldn't be a game changer per say in the console market. What they would be doing is merging the portable market with the console market.

Given that Tablets have taken off...This would not be that surprising...

And remember, even with this approach...you could still play at home in front of your huge HDTV in full 1080p.

Touch

Freezie KO said:
Nintendo's not going to compete with its own 3DS. I feel the "streaming games to your controller" is entirely overblown. They're probably talking about "streaming" a significant part of the play experience to the controller, such as what Pac Man Vs offered.

That's what I believe. Then again, the more I read, the less makes sense. It's going to recapture the obstinate hardcore market, but it's going to be completely new with a touch screen interface. It's got dual analogs and four or more shoulder buttons, but it's a motion controller more accurate than Move. Honestly, I feel something's got to give, and the first thing to be overblown is the "streaming games" tip.
The motion control is what's giving, in my opinion. I think they will have two different controllers. This one with the dual analogs/screen/etc and something Wiimote like for the motion. Motion control of Move/Wiimote level in a "classic" style controller doesn't really fit.

watershed

Banned
smallsoft said:
You're right it wouldn't be a game changer per say in the console market. What they would be doing is merging the portable market with the console market.

And remember, even with this approach...you could still play at home in front of your huge HDTV in full 1080p.

Well I'm in the mood for some crazy talk back and forth so let's say I agree with you so far even tho I don't. What do you imagine the form factor will be like or how are the physical inputs incorporated into the controller for portable gaming. because the other issue I raised is that this thing would be big and unattractive. And when you think about apple products they are very sleek which makes them attractive to consumers.

Another question is this, would this hypothetical product also be a tablet computer? because no one is gonna lug the thing around if all it does is play games.

The dual analog could be the remotes themselves so long as a gyro was in each one... wouldn't need sticks anymore, just a D-pad (haptic or not), couple triggers, couple buttons (haptic or not). 6-axis each, along with pointer functionality.

Wiimote is 6 inches.

I'd like to see a blending of the nunchuck and wiimote into one for each hand.

Not sure what to think about this tablet/going after apple thing.

Instro

smallsoft said:

Being scared of Apple wouldnt really effect the design of a home console, that seems more for the realm of handhelds.

smallsoft

Alien Coded DNA said:
The motion control is what's giving, in my opinion. I think they will have two different controllers. This one with the dual analogs/screen/etc and something Wiimote like for the motion. Motion control of Move/Wiimote level in a "classic" style controller doesn't really fit.

I agree. I see motion as giving, a separate peripheral/controller bundled in.

They're reports that the tablet controller can be used a sensor bar as well right? Not sure if that means you could bring the motion controller and tablet with you and enjoy motion gaming anywhere.

I'd be shocked if it didn't come with pointer controls. They were far and away the best thing to come out of the Wii. They actually improved controls, instead of just making them different.

smallsoft said:

They're reports that the tablet controller can be used a sensor bar as well right? Not sure if that means you could bring the motion controller and tablet with you and enjoy motion gaming anywhere.

What I get from them saying it can be used as a sensor bar is that it reads inputs from another controller device. ie. 3DS.

I suspect the whole thing has to do with augmented reality. This newfangled controller and 3DS will probably complement each other in some way.

watershed

Banned
smallsoft said:

now this is just silly, no one is gonna bring a wiimote to a cafe or anywhere and be swinging at a 6" screen.

smallsoft

artwalknoon said:
Well I'm in the mood for some crazy talk back and forth so let's say I agree with you so far even tho I don't. What do you imagine the form factor will be like or how are the physical inputs incorporated into the controller for portable gaming. because the other issue I raised is that this thing would be big and unattractive. And when you think about apple products they are very sleek which makes them attractive to consumers.

Another question is this, would this hypothetical product also be a tablet computer? because no one is gonna lug the thing around if all it does is play games.

I agree it will run into design issues.

But I don't see why they couldn't utilize the Android OS and open this up to a huge app market if they wanted to.

It really depends on how crazy they want to get.

Again, what's driving this conjecture is the 6-inch screen...that's insane...why would you need that on a controller else wise....

The other thing is they have been toying around with handheld to console connectivity for years now...GBA to GameCube etc...

Eteric Rice

_Alkaline_ said:
I'd be shocked if it didn't come with pointer controls. They were far and away the best thing to come out of the Wii. They actually improved controls, instead of just making them different.

No need if the controller has a touch screen.

watershed

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
What I get from them saying it can be used as a sensor bar is that it reads inputs from another controller device. ie. 3DS. I suspect the whole thing has to do with augmented reality. This newfangled controller and 3DS will probably complement each other in some way.

now this would be interesting, you combine the powers of the 3ds and this new controller/screen and you get......Holographic projection!

ASIS

smallsoft said:

The controller is a tablet now? 0_0

smallsoft

artwalknoon said:
now this is just silly, no one is gonna bring a wiimote to a cafe or anywhere and be swinging at a 6" screen.

I agree with you on that, this is probably too far fetched. Maybe the motion gaming element would have to stay at home, attached to the console itself.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
smallsoft said:

This will happen one day, but it would make zero financial sense to do it a year after the launch of the 3DS.

Perhaps Nintendo are planning to massacre the competition in the generation after next by merging consoles and handhelds, which they are in a far better position to do than anyone else.

Touch

artwalknoon said:
I feel like we're playing the worst game of connect the dots ever. The picture just isn't making any sense.

watershed

Banned
smallsoft said:
I agree with you on that, this is probably too far fetched. Maybe the motion gaming element would have to stay at home, attached to the console itself.

Okay then let's think about costs next. The console which will be at minimum 360/PS3 in power and processing would likely retail for like 200 minimum? How much would this tablet controller cost? Because if you are talking about it like a tablet computer+console gaming machine that's like 300-400 minimum. So is Nintendo gonna pull a sony and go "$600 for cutting edge tech!"

Whatever else this new console turns out to be I see Nintendo aiming for $300 dollars. That is the console sweet spot for launch pricing. Maybe $350 but then a lot of people will just walk away.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Alien Coded DNA said:
I feel like we're playing the worst game of connect the dots ever. The picture just isn't making any sense.
Nintendo dumping motion control and zagging when everyone expects them to zig would actually make sense as a business strategy, but it would be a real shame. As many have already mentioned here, pointer controls were a legitimate improvement. And seeing Pikmin 3 with a control set-up that's a step down from NPC Pikmin 1 and 2 would be awful.

smallsoft

Krev said:
This will happen one day, but it would make zero financial sense to do it a year after the launch of the 3DS.

Perhaps Nintendo are planning to massacre the competition in the generation after next by merging consoles and handhelds, which they are in a far better position to do than anyone else.

I agree doing this one year after the launch of the 3DS is probably the biggest hole in this theory as of now.

soco

Eteric Rice said:
No need if the controller has a touch screen.

that's so not true. the pointer was used for more than just selections and having a touch screen couldn't replace that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Krev said:
Nintendo dumping motion control and zagging when everyone expects them to zig would actually make sense as a business strategy, but it would be a real shame. As many have already mentioned here, pointer controls were a legitimate improvement. And seeing Pikmin 3 with a control set-up that's a step down from NPC Pikmin 1 and 2 would be awful.
Wut? The op says "They have also claimed that the system retains motion control, with capabilities that are “better than Move”, meaning that they boast higher fidelity. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom