• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerTiGo

Banned
Anth0ny said:
How about COD?

And I think a Smash Bros that shows off the new and improved online would be fantastic.

and taking a page out of Capcom's book, Smash DLC could be worth trillions

I don't expect Nintendo to take a paid DLC route with any of their internally developed games. It goes against their attitude. However, here's hoping that Miyamoto drops the bullshit and embraces achievements -- and let's get custom soundtracks too please. Some things become industry standard even if Nintendo wasn't the first to implement it successfully.

Obviously, Call of Duty is going to be there... every year. That's a no brainer. So why not inlcude Madden, Need for Speed, etc... Hell, you are probably going to see Mass Effect 3 too.

Is there any chance at all that the whole face of the controller itself is the screen between all the buttons and the side with a wider than normal center area? I still cant imagine a screen that large between two halves of a classic controller.

dwu8991

Banned
Anth0ny said:
How about COD?

And I think a Smash Bros that shows off the new and improved online would be fantastic.

and taking a page out of Capcom's book, Smash DLC could be worth trillions

The games are only good as the controls!

apana

From Third Parties: Metal Gear Solid Rising, Final Fantasy Versus 13 (exclusive), Bioshock Trilogy, Call of Duty, Resident Evil 6.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is there any chance at all that the whole face of the controller itself is the screen between all the buttons and the side with a wider than normal center area? I still cant imagine a screen that large between two halves of a classic controller.

Sounds like my mockup:

Cafemockup.jpg

I don't think it'll be exactly like this, but this gives a good idea of what you're talking about.

Anth0ny

VerTiGo said:
I don't expect Nintendo to take a paid DLC route with any of their internally developed games. It goes against their attitude.

Thing is... Smash Bros is just ASKING for DLC, way more than even Street Fighter, Marvel or any other game out there. Imagine new characters, stages, costumes, music... it would make a killing. I can't imagine them not doing DLC for Smash at the very least, it would be some of the easiest money they've ever made.

VerTiGo

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:

I'm really just expecting the touch screen to replace the face of the Wii-mote. Earlier, the issue about the Wii-mote HUD display in Zelda cluttering the screen was brought up, and from a game design aesthetic removing such clutter from a screen and having customizable interface would deal with that issue nicely. And knowing Nintendo, if they are embracing HD they are going to really work on how it could be used to create more a more immersive experience and showcasing a pretty game environment with reduced HUD displays would do the trick quite nicely.

civilstrife said:
Sounds like my mockup:

I don't think it'll be exactly like this, but this gives a good idea of what you're talking about.
Looks good, but can you build a new one around a classic controller or a wii remote that looks so awesome every blog will steal it??

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
They became absurdly expensive the moment I could buy two games for the price of one controller. Pay yet even more is the last thing I want to do just for a second one.

VerTiGo

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Thing is... Smash Bros is just ASKING for DLC, way more than even Street Fighter, Marvel or any other game out there. Imagine new characters, stages, costumes, music... it would make a killing. I can't imagine them not doing DLC for Smash at the very least, it would be some of the easiest money they've ever made.

And I still doubt that they would charge for something like that regardless. If anything Nintendo will want a "finished" product out the gate. Furthermore, the retail prices on their games never really drop if they have already performed well on retail.

It's a bit of different story however if a game appears on Digital Download networks.

Speaking of... I'm fairly positive the Wii HD will do Dolphin-esque things with Wii games. Which leads me to believe that both Xenoblade and The Last Story will come stateside, maybe by this Fall even, with Zelda coming in March. I'm also expecting the Wii HD to launch sometime near March too, mimicking the 3DS' release. Essentially, Skyward Sword would be just Twilight Princess in a way. I'd definitely pick that up system's launch day, if only that game. Otherwise, I would humor the idea that Xenoblade and The Last Story make their way onto the Wii HD's eSHOP, along with all the New Play Control GameCube titles (it's gonna happen).

antonz

outunderthestars said:
won't the controllers now be absurdly expensive? How am i supposed to ragequit with a $100 controller?
IGN said Manufacturing sources said they could probably put togeather one like IGN imagines for like 25 dollars. With the considerable markup of all Controllers I could see Nintendo going 60-80 dollars.

Would not seem that awful if you consider the Move Controller is 50 bucks+30 for the navigation controller. The New Nintendo controller woul certainly appear a hell ofalot more high tech with 6" touchscreen etc and average joe wouldnt moan as much

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I think he meant gameplay. right?

I don't even get what he's saying, let alone how it relates to the post he quoted. XD

Gamer@Heart said:

I don't really see any other way to make the size of the screen consistent with a non-Frankenstein-like shape.

This is going to sound cynical, but I don't trust Nintendo to do DLC right.

It's like trusting an excitable elementary school student not to eat too much candy.

VerTiGo

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I am already bankrupt because of these controllers! Thanks, Nintendo!

I believe the whole touch screen rumor. Hell, it's not even a rumor. It's going to be a Wiimote Plus without any face buttons. I doubt it would even need much "horse power." At least nothing more than what's needed to create virtual buttons or to mimick and in-game HUD display. Essentially, it'll be the 3DS' bottom screen -- so pretty much a GameBoy Advance and not much more than that. Nintendo probably already found a way to cut costs on the Wiimote over the years. Expecting Wiimote HD's priced at $60.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm starting to think this will end up looking more like a Game Boy Advance (original model) than anything else.

This worries me as I can't see how they'd keep pointer functionality...

antonz

VerTiGo said:
I believe the whole touch screen rumor. Hell, it's not even a rumor. It's going to be a Wiimote Plus without any face buttons. I doubt it would even need much "horse power." At least nothing more than what's needed to create virtual buttons or to mimick and in-game HUD display. Essentially, it'll be the 3DS' bottom screen -- so pretty much a GameBoy Advance and not much more than that. Nintendo probably already found a way to cut costs on the Wiimote over the years. Expecting Wiimote HD's priced at $60.
Wiimote as it is only costs about 6 bucks to make now ;) back in 2006 the wireless 360 controller only cost Microsoft 11 bucks to make and like the wiimote probably borders the 5 dollar mark now

Controllers are big money.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No pointer functionality would be so stupid, and if it's gone I will blame each and every one of you analogue loving peasants who refused to move out of the stone age.

NewFresh

DavidDayton said:
I'm starting to think this will end up looking more like a Game Boy Advance (original model) than anything else.

$ Attachments $

VerTiGo

Banned
antonz said:
IGN said Manufacturing sources said they could probably put togeather one like IGN imagines for like 25 dollars. With the considerable markup of all Controllers I could see Nintendo going 60-80 dollars.

Would not seem that awful if you consider the Move Controller is 50 bucks+30 for the navigation controller. The New Nintendo controller woul certainly appear a hell ofalot more high tech with 6" touchscreen etc and average joe wouldnt moan as much

Nintendo won't risk alienating consumers with such a high price for a home console controller, especially since the home console is designed for the family environment.

Don't single me out with the 3DS' price point either. I seriously believe they intentionally priced it outside of mass market value to rush to launch it and re-launch it, so to speak, with a redesign and something like Mario Kart early next year. The ho-hum 3DS sales seems like a controlled effort just to get some exposure because of the difficulties in marketing 3D gameplay to begin with.

dwu8991

Banned
outunderthestars said:
won't the controllers now be absurdly expensive? How am i supposed to ragequit with a $100 controller?

no more expensive than say a (te fight stick) or (move + nunchuck) or (kinect).

there would only be a small number of games that would need more than one touch screen controller for multi player like four swords.

Besides, Nintendo would probably bundle a game with the touchscreen controller like they did with wii play.

DavidDayton said:

two controllers maybe? that or detachable controllers like some of the mock ups.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wow! When I last looked at this thread it was early Saturday AM and at 7K posts. Its now over 9k. I'm now gonna read the last 2wo-thousand posts to see if anythng interesting was posted. I'll be right back, hopefully within an hour...

VerTiGo

Banned
antonz said:
Wiimote as it is only costs about 6 bucks to make now ;) back in 2006 the wireless 360 controller only cost Microsoft 11 bucks to make and like the wiimote probably borders the 5 dollar mark now

Controllers are big money.

So this further supports the theory. It won't be ridiculously overpriced. It has to be a Wii-mote sans face buttons in favor of a customizable interface. It solves the design issue of having controllers not seem alienating to casuals either.

HD display? Definitely not. It'll probably just mimick the 3DS' bottom screen and have whatever power it needs to display virtual buttons with whatever clarity that is needed to have it not look like a pixelated mess. Hell, the A,B,X, and Y buttons are probably preprogrammed as well to create some sort of game development standards in addition to keeping power consumption low or whatever kinda of processing it would need to do to display such images and response.

VerTiGo

Banned
dwu8991 said:
no more expensive than say a (te fight stick) or (move + nunchuck) or (kinect).

there would only be a small number of games that would need more than one touch screen controller for multi player like four swords.

Besides, Nintendo would probably bundle a game with the touchscreen controller like they did with wii play.

Four controllers at launch, watch... Wiimote Touch, Classic Controller, Madcatz Fightpad, and TE Fight Stick.

Yea, based on Ono's comments I'm pretty convinced SSFIV: TURBO will be at launch. With Wiimote Touch exclusive controls with the easy input feature of SSFIV3DS.

P.S. - Vitality Sensor will be built into the Wiimote Touch too. Probably on the backside where the batteries would be on regular Wiimote. I'm thinking it'll probably function like those heart rate monitors on treadmills.

Branduil

ShockingAlberto said:
This is going to sound cynical, but I don't trust Nintendo to do DLC right.

It's like trusting an excitable elementary school student not to eat too much candy.
The list of developers I trust to do DLC right is a short list that starts with Valve and ends with Valve.

VerTiGo

Banned
Branduil said:
The list of developers I trust to do DLC right is a short list that starts with Valve and ends with Valve.

I doubt Nintendo will embrace DLC much with their internally developed games at all. Aside from maybe Retro Studios, or games that are Digital Download to begin with.

Tarin02543

I wonder if Nintendo will bring forward the SuperWii announcement as so much has leaked already. I remember they did this for the 3DS as well when some gaming site got all the info early.

Beth Cyra

Tarin02543 said:
I wonder if Nintendo will bring forward the SuperWii announcement as so much has leaked already. I remember they did this for the 3DS as well when some gaming site got all the info early.
The original leak pretty much had this built in it didn't it?

That Nintendo would announce the system with in the next month, but not fully reveal it to the public until E3?

antonz

Tarin02543 said:
Well if IGNs to be believed on an announcement this month we should be getting it in a little over a week at the Japense Investors meeting.

NewFresh

Tarin02543 said:

It depends on how much of this is just rumor and not fact

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Drkirby said:
Cafe is Hex for 51966, which is Binary for 1010001100101100110! This is clearly a clue! </ARG Hat>

Yes but you forgot the e is an acute accent é.

Velti

Neo Member
No one else is put off by the concept of a virtual interface?? I like my feedback, thank you!

And, during a fast paced game, when am I going to want to stop and look down at what is essentially my new "start screen"? I'll get my butt whooped while I'm looking away! The whole point is to be able to press "start" or whatever, pause the action, and then adjust your options w/o having to look anywhere else.

The idea of regularly having to look straight at my controller- possibly mid action- is disconcerting.

watershed

Banned
Reading through this thread, thinking about what Nintendo may plan to do right to attract the hardcore, and looking at the 3ds for an idea of where Nintendo is headed I am convinced of this:

No matter how many changes or design/hardware decisions Nintendo makes to "attract the hardcore" or fix their online "issues" there will still be blatantly obvious errors carried over from their past. Like no demos for eshop, or no online play for major 1st party titles where it would seem obvious, no online rankings in smash, and stuff like that.

I hope I'm wrong btw but it just seems like Nintendo always keeps one foot in the past just to keep that "Nintendo charm" or whatever they call it these days.

Eteric Rice

Medalion said:
No way it will be bumped early... Nintendo pwning E3 is now going to be a yearly event

It sounds like the buttons will still be there. This seems like it'll be used the same way the DS and 3DS use the bottom screens.

No matter how many changes or design/hardware decisions Nintendo makes to "attract the hardcore" or fix their online "issues" there will still be blatantly obvious errors carried over from their past. Like no demos for eshop, or no online play for major 1st party titles where it would seem obvious, no online rankings in smash, and stuff like that.

This is kind of a given. Though, looking at the 3DS, with the update it should have a pretty decent online system (minus the friend code and lack of account).

Luckily this system will probably have an actual OS, so it can be updated.

Spike

Velti said:
No one else is put off by the concept of a virtual interface?? I like my feedback, thank you!

And, during a fast paced game, when am I going to want to stop and look down at what is essentially my new "start screen"? I'll get my butt whooped while I'm looking away! The whole point is to be able to press "start" or whatever, pause the action, and then adjust your options w/o having to look anywhere else.

The idea of regularly having to look straight at my controller- possibly mid action- is disconcerting.

So, press start to pause, look down at screen, make changes, look up at TV, press start to unpause.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Andrex said:
Yes but you forgot the e is an acute accent é.
It doesn't have an accent in the title! Maybe you are just pronouncing it wrong and adding an accent when there isn't one!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Drkirby said:
It doesn't have an accent in the title! Maybe you are just pronouncing it wrong and adding an accent when there isn't one!

No, Jackson told me, it's Project Café, not Project Cafe.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
VerTiGo said:
8 million Move controllers shipped or sold, still insignificant... It has not led to any legit growth for PS3 hardware.
I don't follow NPD threads but from what I can tell 360 and PS3's total sales are pretty much neck and neck. We have the 50 million January value for the 360 and the 50 million March value for the ps3. Pretty good when the cheapest PS3 is $100 more. So I don't understand how 10 million for the 360 is omgwtfbbq awesome and 8 million for the ps3 is mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom