• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerTiGo

Banned
salva said:
Kinect and Move are optional attachments, unlike Nintendos' wiimote and whatever the fuck this mess of a controller sounds. Starting a next gen does not mean that you buy an attachment for a console.

Thats why its bundled. Thus explaining the sales spike in 360 sales.

-MB- said:
Harmonix a Japanese studio?? That is new to me.

Apologies. Japanese publisher, I meant. Which is even more to the point that Western publishers aren't going to greenlight stuff for the "casual market" in the same numbers that they will for something with 12 buttons and two sticks.

szaromir

Banned
Freezie KO said:
Apologies. Japanese publisher, I meant. Which is even more to the point that Western publishers aren't going to greenlight stuff for the "casual market" in the same numbers that they will for something with 12 buttons and two sticks.
MTV/Microsoft are Japanese? News to me.

artwalknoon said:
Why is a touchpad better than IR controls? Isn't pointing at exactly where you want your pikmin to go perfect for that game and RTS games in general? That's what I want in the next pikmin, pointer controls, not touchscreen or touchpad controls.
it's much easier to point on a tablet than with a wiimote on a screen.
A touchpad will be 100 x more easier for rts games imo.
VerTiGo said:
Yeah, I don't get Call of Duty either. It's not even half as fun as CounterStrike.

i'm all for trying different controls. The dance game might be fun, but kinect never.. kinected with me.

Eteric Rice

I'm thinking the motion controls will be secondary this time. The tablet will be the main controller this time.

Only some games will use the Wiimote from now on, probably.

watershed

Banned
Always-honest said:

But this is a console played on a hd tv unless your talking about screening the game to the 6" screen and playing it on there in which case touchscreen use would be obvious.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AceBandage said:
Tomorrow, it'll be weaker than NGP.
By next week, we'll be saying it's 1.5 Gamecubes.
...and by sometime in May, around Dreamcast's level... but with less colors.

TUROK said:
If the rumored specs are to be trusted, its GPU alone will be well above the 360/PS3 GPU's, which will definitely yield a much better looking game.

It might not run circles around either of the consoles, so to speak, but I doubt the gap will be small. That is, if the rumored specs are to be trusted.

Rumored specs are very rarely correct. Rumored impressions are often correct.

artwalknoon said:
But this is a console played on a hd tv unless your talking about screening the game to the 6" screen and playing it on there in which case touchscreen use would be obvious.

Touchpad, think Udraw tablet or some 3DS games like Nintendogs+cats. The fact the touchpad is also a screen is a secondary feature in those cases.

watershed

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Touchpad, think Udraw tablet or some 3DS games. The fact the touchpad is also a screen is a secondary feature in those cases.

Yeah but as long as we are talking about the game taking place on the actual tv I would rather use pointer controls than touchpad for things like pikmin or fps controls. I get that using the touchscreen as a touchpad would be like a mouse set up but I still would prefer pointing at the actual screen where the action is taking place. maybe I'm weird that way.

Beth Cyra

Reading the last bunch of pages pretty much made it so I will just continue to believe this is going to be nothing more then a Xbox 360.

That way if it is stronger then I have a reason to get excited. If it's not, then I will at least have a more crisp and clean Zelda and Mario to look forward to in the future.

The thing is, I have for a while felt that both Microsoft and Sony would hold out as long as they possibly could, and when it came time they would be moderate with the jump instead of how they handled Ps2/Ps3 and Xbox/360.

I got to be honest. I am terrifed of the idea of seeing how many studios will close down should the cost jump so fast so quickly as it did this Gen, ever again.

artwalknoon said:
Yeah but as long as we are talking about the game taking place on the actual tv I would rather use pointer controls than touchpad for things like pikmin or fps controls. I get that using the touchscreen as a touchpad would be like a mouse set up but I still would prefer pointing at the actual screen where the action is taking place. maybe I'm weird that way.

I agree. For one, you're actually looking at the screen and not your controller, which you have to be able to do for games like Metroid Prime Hunters and Steel Diver and Kirby Canvas Curse.

Also, you're able to use the A and B buttons easily and the D-pad somewhat comfortably when pointing. Not true if you were using that hand to control a stylus on a touchpad. And if there's not a stylus, then you're not getting mouse-like precision.

artwalknoon said:

No, it's quite understandable, but for RTS games a touchpad does make perfect sense. Most of the artwork you see in video games is drawn with a screenless graphics tablet, not a mid-air pointer. FPS games is another matter, although personally I first completed Half Life 2 using a Wacom tablet!

artwalknoon said:
even if the game isn't projected on the touchscreen it will be easier i think..
Did you ever work with a Wacom tablet?

By the way,.. i'm just speculating too here.. i don't know shit.

Cafemockup.jpg

Gamer @ Heart said:
Looks good, but can you build a new one around a classic controller or a wii remote that looks so awesome every blog will steal it??

challenge-accepted.png

cafepro.jpg

VerTiGo

Banned
salva said:
Not all xbox 360s or ps3s are bundled with kinect/move.

Over 2/3rds of Xbox 360 game consoles sold in March 2011 were Kinect bundles. What do you think has attributed 28% growth YoY for MS?

VerTiGo

Banned
Always-honest said:

i'm all for trying different controls. The dance game might be fun, but kinect never.. kinected with me.

Never tried it. Don't know what to tell ya.... the only thing I play on my Xbox is Street Fighter. Huzzah.

watershed

Banned
Always-honest said:
even if the game isn't projected on the touchscreen it will be easier i think..
Did you ever work with a Wacom tablet?

By the way,.. i'm just speculating too here.. i don't know shit.

yeah I've used a wacom but that's cuz I have an art background and most people who use one also have an art background. But just like how a lot of people struggle with using a mouse for pc gaming I think they would with a touchscreen (acting as a touchpad) for console gaming. IR control is the way to go even if its slightly less precise. The psychological understanding of pointing at what I want to shoot or target just makes more sense and trumps the tablet precision imo.

TUROK

Flying_Phoenix said:
Rumored specs are very rarely correct. Rumored impressions are often correct.
Agreed on the first, not so much the second.

Hell, with the NGP, the rumored specs were correct, and the "as powerful as a PS3" were way off, although that could be attributed to ignorance.

Beth Cyra

Freezie KO said:
Isn't it Konami?

You're thinking of Dance Masters.

Completely different game that was revealed at last E3 as well.

One of the many magical moments that was the Konami Press Confrence. However, it is not the Dance Central that is selling well for the Xbox 360.

But it and it's creator will always have a special place in my heart. The crazy speech was a thing of comedy gold.

szaromir said:
It's not.

Oh. Well, if we're done playing Gotcha!, the point stands. If Dance Central is published by MS, then no external Western third-parties (or even Japanese ones really) are interested in developing for Kinect, despite its huge sales success. Same with Move. And same with Wii's motion controls.

If you want third parties, you need sticks, buttons, and power. And if Nintendo is truly trying to court them, then that's what you can expect... somehow. Or it's just not really trying to "recapture the hardcore."

DiscoJer

artwalknoon said:

For something like traditional games, maybe. But like say casual games (PC style, which do well on the DS), I think the touchscreen would be a lot easier and actually could give Nintendo a big advantage.

artwalknoon said:
yeah I've used a wacom but that's cuz I have an art background and most people who use one also have an art background. But just like how a lot of people struggle with using a mouse for pc gaming I think they would with a touchscreen (acting as a touchpad) for console gaming. IR control is the way to go even if its slightly less precise. The psychological understanding of pointing at what I want to shoot or target just makes more sense and trumps the tablet precision imo.
i really disagree. my three year old son can play i-phone games without thinking twice.
A wiimote comes close in immersion but is way harder.. maybe because of the distance.

A dual analog controller is basicly the least immersive gamepad around. That thing should just fucking go imo. Sure, i'm very much used to it. But that doesn't mean i think it's perfect. Far from it.

DiscoJer said:
For something like traditional games, maybe. But like say casual games (PC style, which do well on the DS), I think the touchscreen would be a lot easier and actually could give Nintendo a big advantage.

Yep, not long ago some people were talking about the benefits that the NGP could bring if used as an alternative PS3 controller. Changing direction and offering everyone something brand new could be a very effective strategy, Pachter and pals say it's too late for an HD Wii, but they're thinking very conservatively as expected.

watershed

Banned
Always-honest said:
i really disagree. my three year old son can play i-phone games without thinking twice.
A wiimote comes close in immersion but is way harder.. maybe because of the distance.

A dual analog controller is basicly the least immersive gamepad around. That thing should just fucking go imo. Sure, i'm very much used to it. But that doesn't mean i think it's perfect. Far from it.

I have an iphone too and of course touch makes playing many of those casual games easy. But isn't that because you are touching on the same screen the visuals are being displayed on. Imagine if you had to do those same motions but while looking at another screen to see the response, that's where the difficulty comes in at least that's what I imagine. I also think it depends which genre we're talking about.

artwalknoon said:
I have an iphone too and of course touch makes playing many of those casual games easy. But isn't that because you are touching on the same screen the visuals are being displayed on. Imagine if you had to do those same motions but while looking at another screen to see the response, that's where the difficulty comes in at least that's what I imagine. I also think it depends which genre we're talking about.
Sure, depends on the game. And i could imagine the device being customisable in controls.
I'm not sure how that would work with analog buttons.. The only thing i can think of is the NGP.
But i'm limited in my imagination.

Do we even know for sure that the Wii2 is meant to be played on a TV screen? (hope so..)

swerve

salva said:
The controller sounds like a god damn mess.

Because it's been 'imagined' over 180 pages of GAF, based on small snippets of the interpretations of a couple of journalists, themselves based upon some cagey, not-sharing-everything leaks from some developers who obviously haven't shown the journalists this stuff, they've just given some hints and the journo's minds run with it.

antonz

TUROK said:

Hell, with the NGP, the rumored specs were correct, and the "as powerful as a PS3" were way off, although that could be attributed to ignorance.

Cant really say the NGP specs were rumored per say. 01net released devkit name, specs down to the model numbers etc of the various components.

The Wii2 situation is very different. They admit they don't know ram etc and say as much. Problem is other websites apparently cant translate french well and take we dont know and make it we know everything confirmed.

Always-honest said:
Do we even know for sure that the Wii2 is meant to be played on a TV screen?

Not specifically confirmed as far as I know... would be a shocker! It's not impossible that the system could simply display whatever the TV is displaying, meaning it would be perfectly playable without the TV switched on. Would prevent it being used as a secondary HUD/map/inventory screen though.

Foil

VerTiGo said:
See you in 2016. Microsoft and Sony might launch the PS4 and Xbox 720 by then.

You're out of your mind if you think they're waiting until 2016. Those machines will be out well before that time.

watershed

Banned
antonz said:
Cant really say the NGP specs were rumored per say. 01net released devkit name, specs down to the model numbers etc of the various components.

The Wii2 situation is very different. They admit they don't know ram etc and say as much. Problem is other websites apparently cant translate french well and take we dont know and make it we know everything confirmed.

What if the source at 01net is from sony? That would explain why they had the goods in the case of the NGP and only tenuous possibilities for the N6. Also that may be why it sounds so bad in terms of tech, this sony source is trying to subversively damage the expectations for this new console. a crazy idea of course.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
gofreak said:
Yeah, but I mean in and of itself the names were just arbitrary. I'm sure here some of the chip names might be linked to 'Cafe'. Latte, Cappuccino, Espresso...lots of nice options :p
Here's my wish...

CPU = Espresso
GPU = Sugar

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TUROK said:

Developers such as Codemasters coming out and saying the very same thing didn't help matters.

Well the way I see it. If this console is only marginally better than a 360, then it should be released this year. 2012 is simply too late for something like that.
If it's going to launch in 2012 it better be a lot stronger than both current HD systems.

Also about the controller... I really don't buy those rumours.

antonz

boris feinbrand said:
Well the way I see it. If this console is only marginally better than a 360, then it should be released this year. 2012 is simply too late for something like that.
If it's going to launch in 2012 it better be a lot stronger than both current HD systems.

Also about the controller... I really don't buy those rumours.

To an extent I can agree with you. If Nintendo was just phoning in the console I dont think it would make any sense to hold off until Fall 2012.

Mark it for Holiday 2011 and get it out with all the major Holiday 2011 titles from 3rd parties ported over and snatch Zelda over all over again.

szaromir

Banned
antonz said:
To an extent I can agree with you. If Nintendo was just phoning in the console I dont think it would make any sense to hold off until Fall 2012.

Mark it for Holiday 2011 and get it out with all the major Holiday 2011 titles from 3rd parties ported over and snatch Zelda over all over again.
I hope Nintendo will go for a similar architecture to its competitors. The difference in power would be irrelevant as long as ports are possible, Xbox3 could have 1080p games and Wii2 720p only, as long as it gets the same blockbusters.

szaromir said:
I hope Nintendo will go for a similar architecture to its competitors. The difference in power would be irrelevant as long as ports are possible, Xbox3 could have 1080p games and Wii2 720p only, as long as it gets the same blockbusters.

No, if Nintendo really wants to stay relevant with gamers they will have to step it up instead of getting me too ports. The gamecube was the prime example on how not to position yourself in terms of ports.
Low quality rushed ports with cut features and half assed support from 3rd parties. If they are really courting for 3rd party support, then they better give them a reason to support the console not out of simple market expansion but to actually partake in a market segment.

Still, I really don't see either of both happening, unless the console is really a lot more powerfull than 360 and PS3, which to be honest should be a no brainer in 2012. That's why most of those rumoured specs are more like throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.
As far as I recall it, pre Wii and 3DS speculations were all mostly wrong, no matter how informed some sources claimed to be.

Given this time 3rd parties are "appearantly" better informed on Nintendos plans, so leaks are much more likely.

[Nintex]

Since Nintendo is most likely going to show games (both first party and third party) and the controller so I'm going with a holiday 2011 or spring 2012 release for this thing. They're not going to blow the lid on something this big if it doesn't ship within months from E3. The Nintendo, DS and Wii brand lost some of their popularity so a new console and handheld would put them in the headlines again.

As for people who think they're not going to launch two systems in the same fiscal year. Look at it this way, Nintendo is going to build a new HQ in 2012 that is finished by 2013. The restructuring of the company will take some time and by getting all their new hardware out before the next fiscal year they could not only give their stock a boost because of new hardware launches but also scale back on their R&D investments which are currently incredibly high. If they stall the Wii 2 launch they're simply waiting for MS to steal the thunder of introducing a new console and they're sitting on a very expensive machine(perhaps warehouses filled with them) without seeing a return of their investment for some time. Not to mention that they have games that can't be sold because the system isn't there yet.

I think that retailer was right on the money with the September Zelda release. That should cover the Wii and keep those Wii owners happy while they move in with a new console and a slate of first and third party games in November.

Gahiggidy

Gahiggidy @ 2:45 am said:
Wow! When I last looked at this thread it was early Saturday AM and at 7K posts. Its now over 9k. I'm now gonna read the last 2wo-thousand posts to see if anythng interesting was posted. I'll be right back, hopefully within an hour...
I'm back. That was a bit of a waste of time. Only read to the 8,000+ posts. Wish their was a separate thread for controller/features speculation only. The usual back and forth about the hardware specs and console wars is tiresome.

ASIS

Gahiggidy said:
I'm back. That was a bit of a waste of time. Only read to the 8,000+ posts. Wish their was a separate thread for controller/features speculation only. The usual back and forth about the hardware specs and console wars is tiresome.
What exactly were you expecting? If there was anything else to talk about we would have already talked about it.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Does anyone think that if 3DS doesn't see a big increase in sales this holiday that Nintendo might bring forward the release of Wii 2?

Gahiggidy

Nintendo-4Life said:
What exactly were you expecting? If there was anything else to talk about we would have already talked about it.
I'm saying that the speculative cpu/gpu talk gets in the way of the more interesting new-control talk. At least now I know how long it takes to get through ~100 posts.

ASIS

Mr_Brit said:
Does anyone think that if 3DS doesn't see a big increase in sales this holiday that Nintendo might bring forward the release of Wii 2?
I don't think it's far fetched to think it could be a mid 2012 release.. But hey that's just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom