• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr_Brit said:
Does anyone think that if 3DS doesn't see a big increase in sales this holiday that Nintendo might bring forward the release of Wii 2?

If Nintendo can't ensure a solid lineup of games for the Wii 2's launch then the last thing they want to do is rush another system out early.

rezuth

Do you guys think that the information could be conflicted? That there is indeed a screen but that the controller has a touchpad surface on the back of it or something? Like the NGP.

ndreamer

Mr. Pointy said:
So are we getting the tablet controller and a wiimote+ and nunchuck in the box?

rumors are all over the place, if it has improved wiimote features and a touch screen how are you meant to use the controller it would be huge and a fair bit heavier.

I'm not totally sure how much a landscape tablet arrangement would impede use as a pointer, I might have to try duct taping some controllers together to find out. Gun Con 3 is already a pointer system using 2 hands almost side by side, not a great comparison, I know.

_Alkaline said:
I'd be shocked if it didn't come with pointer controls. They were far and away the best thing to come out of the Wii. They actually improved controls, instead of just making them different.
Eteric Rice said:
No need if the controller has a touch screen.
Touch and pointer are very similar, but in practice not identical. Big difference being that with wiimote you can be pointing and using the buttons at the same time. With touch screen you're probably either taking one hand away from the button controls completely, or at least the thumb if it's just making a quick selection.

1-D_FTW

artwalknoon said:
Why is a touchpad better than IR controls? Isn't pointing at exactly where you want your pikmin to go perfect for that game and RTS games in general? That's what I want in the next pikmin, pointer controls, not touchscreen or touchpad controls.

So you're saying after waiting years for Nintendo to finally embrace HD, you don't want to be stuck staring at a sub-HD screen the entire time? I'm gonna agree with you there.

Always-honest said:
it's much easier to point on a tablet than with a wiimote on a screen.
A touchpad will be 100 x more easier for rts games imo.

Think it's a terrible idea... UNLESS they adopted the vastly superior Supreme Commander system of having the second screen being a scaled out tactical grid to issue easy commands on.

You don't really see any RTS games copying this scaling feature, though, despite it being the kick in the pants the genre needs.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Eteric Rice said:
It sounds like the buttons will still be there.

I think so. We're probably missing some of the other things that a controller-based touchscreen could be used for - it sounds like me like another (like Wii) push towards local multiplayer, for any game where you keep things away from other players - like Scrabble, poker, liar dice and so on.

Besides, all this talk of the impossibly big controller seems off whack. If we'd heard all about Wii controls ahead of time - there's a controller that you can hold in one hand, sideways, and you can stand on it, point with it and wave it around - we'd have been equally bemused but it the end it all made sense.

1-D_FTW said:
Think it's a terrible idea... UNLESS they adopted the vastly superior Supreme Commander system of having the second screen being a scaled out tactical grid to issue easy commands on.
we don't know how it's all worked out yet. So we can't judge if it's terrible. We're just thinking about the options here. So far, Nintendo has proven to have people working for them who are more creative than we are.

phisheep said:
Besides, all this talk of the impossibly big controller seems off whack. If we'd heard all about Wii controls ahead of time - there's a controller that you can hold in one hand, sideways, and you can stand on it, point with it and wave it around - we'd have been equally bemused but it the end it all made sense.

Exactly, and even with a 6 inch screen and buttons it could be done with something no wider than the Wii Wheel accessory, which I wouldn't call impossibly big.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gahiggidy wishes there were more interesting posts and less stupid crap:
Gahiggidy said:
I'm back. That was a bit of a waste of time. Only read to the 8,000+ posts. Wish their was a separate thread for controller/features speculation only. The usual back and forth about the hardware specs and console wars is tiresome.

Gahiggidy shares his personal wishes about CPU/GPU project codenames:
Gahiggidy said:
Here's my wish...

CPU = Espresso
GPU = Sugar

AniHawk

Stumpokapow said:
Gahiggidy wishes there were more interesting posts and less stupid crap:

Gahiggidy shares his personal wishes about CPU/GPU project codenames:

so, he wants realistic, down-to-earth posts... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?

[Nintex]

Oh I forgot the biggest reason why this thing is coming in 2011. There's no Sonic Generations announced for Wii. Even SEGA isn't stupid enough to skip a version of Sonic Generations for a Nintendo platform.

[Nintex] said:
Oh I forgot the biggest reason why this thing is coming in 2011. There's no Sonic Generations announced for Wii. Even SEGA isn't stupid enough to skip a version of Sonic Generations for a Nintendo platform.
Or maybe they think Sonic and Mario 3 would be good enough :p

1-D_FTW

Always-honest said:
we don't know how it's all worked out yet. So we can't judge if it's terrible. We're just thinking about the options here. So far, Nintendo has proven to have people working for them who are more creative than we are.

I think the key word is speculation. We're speculating on things we have no idea on. I maintain it's awful speculation. And if we're going to believe rumor mongering, I'll place some weight on Edge saying the pointer controls are more accurate than Move. This would imply motion has not been abandoned and we're not going to be staring at a SD screen while Pikmin plays in HD on the television.

PosTing from page 121 so sorry if beaten.

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

gameboy-cubed-simple.jpg

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:

or the wii is getting mario and sonic generations.

Xater

Nintendo-4Life said:
I don't think it's far fetched to think it could be a mid 2012 release.. But hey that's just my guess.

Why not early 2012? It would be the same timeline like with the 3DS. Show it at E3 about 9 months before release.

Unfortunately I remember Perrin Kaplan saying the Wii had one "last big surprise" which never eventuated so I'm not holding out hope when "sources" are saying the same thing about Wii2 :(

For those thinking of traditional style controllers, one of the things IGN has stated was:

It'll mirror a Gamecube controller in general function but not in specific form.

Personally, I'm going with the touch screen strapping to your forearm like a bracelet/bracer with an attached nunchuck. The nunchuck portion would have a 3DS-like slide pad for analog control, a bumper/ "C" button, and a trigger, along with a gyroscope. The screen itself would have a d-pad, the "Start/Home/Select" set, and Buttons "1" and "2" on both the top and bottom sides. The rumored "forward facing" Camera is actually mounted right of the screen. An internal speaker and microphone to the left, along with four small LEDs. The inner part of the bracer is lined with a biometric skin. Like the Wii Remote before it, it also has a small amount of memory and rumble functionality. Power is provided by an internal Lithium battery, with a mini-USB port mounted on the left side of the screen allowing it to be recharged (power and sync buttons are also located here). Blutooth to speak with the N6 Remote and system, 2.4GHz wireless technology for video transmission.
The button configuration, in addition to allowing it to be worn on eith arm, also allows the bracer to be played by two players at once (arcade cocktail table style) when not worn. The Camera, Microphone, and speaker, in addition to the functions they've been deployed for on the Wii, replace the Wii Speak accessory, and allow personal voice and video chat with others on your friends list.
The N6 Remote copies the same basic design of the Wii Nunchuck, but adds a forward facing optical sensor over a bumper/ "C" button, and trigger, and replaces the analog stick for another slide pad. Surrounding the slide pad are four kidney-shaped buttons: A "Y" Button upper-left, a "X" upper-right, a "B" button lower-left, and an "A" button lower-right. Contains a gyroscope and Blutooth to speak with the bracer. Power provided by 1 or 2 "AA" batteries fed in through the bottom (along with power and sync buttons) and a wrist strap.

I think that covers all the rumored functions and lays everything out in a sane, reachable order.

1-D_FTW said:
I think the key word is speculation. We're speculating on things we have no idea on. I maintain it's awful speculation. And if we're going to believe rumor mongering, I'll place some weight on Edge saying the pointer controls are more accurate than Move. This would imply motion has not been abandoned and we're not going to be staring at a SD screen while Pikmin plays in HD on the television.

Yep, speculation.. so not saying what we THINK it is.. just speculating what it could be.

Not sure what that implies (motion controls could be done in many ways). It's guessing all the way. We can't say how motion is implemented here and how it's used.

Never said we would be staring at a sd screen. I have an Apple touch pad that works by gestures, i have a Wacom tablet that works with a stylus. I never look at it. I could imagine using an i-pad for controls without looking at it.

I'd like really good motion controls. For some games i think it's much better than the godaweful dual analog. But for RTS, i can see a touchpad being far better. I love pikmin. And i can see it work in numerous ways.

Most important part for me that i fucking HOPE there will BE a next gen pikmin.

I'm also pretty sure that Nintendo will surprise us in the controls departement.

robor

Gahiggidy said:
I'm saying that the speculative cpu/gpu talk gets in the way of the more interesting new-control talk. At least now I know how long it takes to get through ~100 posts.

Agreed.

M74

runnin_blue said:
Unfortunately I remember Perrin Kaplan saying the Wii had one "last big surprise" which never eventuated so I'm not holding out hope when "sources" are saying the same thing about Wii2 :(
It was the Wiimote speaker, no?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Lonewolf_92 said:
For those thinking of traditional style controllers, one of the things IGN has stated was:

Personally, I'm going with the touch screen strapping to your forearm like a bracelet/bracer with an attached nunchuck.

i like this idea because i keep thinking of samus in METROID PRIME reaching over and fiddling with things on her wrist and arm to switch visors, call in her ship, etc.

and, you know? that fits so hardcore.

1-D_FTW said:
I'll place some weight on Edge saying the pointer controls are more accurate than Move.

They said motion controls rather than pointer controls, Wii is a better 2D pointer than Move already. If the new controller had a 2-way camera/sensor light setup it would add Move's spatial precision to Wii's pointing precision. Nintendo will be well aware that Sony will be looking to improve on this setup already, which is why they might choose to sidestep the race of seeing who has the biggest wand.

AniHawk

beelzebozo said:
i like this idea because i keep thinking of samus in METROID PRIME reaching over and fiddling with things on her wrist and arm to switch visors, call in her ship, etc.

also, it should have a microphone built into it.

gkryhewy

[Nintex] said:
The fact that Nintendo is about to start clearing stock with a Wii/Mario Kart bundle for $149 could be indicative of a sooner than expected launch.

beelzebozo said:

And don't forget the PIPBoy! Imagine the next Fallout with all the PIPBoy functions literally on your arm. ;)

Man

Not sure if this generally agreed upon or already semi-confirmed upon (prob a few thousand posts back) but having normal buttons and similar stick out of a screen environment is pretty cool. All helper text, gui, ammo counters etc could be placed on the controller itself.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Lonewolf_92 said:
And don't forget the PIPBoy! Imagine the next Fallout with all the PIPBoy functions literally on your arm. ;)

i had forgotten that.

but holy shit, now that you mention it, yes. a whole subgenre about people with cool readouts on their wrists is inevitable.

Woffls

beelzebozo said:
but holy shit, now that you mention it, yes. a whole subgenre about people with cool readouts on their wrists is inevitable.
And there will be an entire sub-genre dedicated to having GPS in your car. GTA would be great with a decent sized map right at your finger tips. If you drive past a side mission that you'll forget about later, draw a little dot over it and come back later!

Perhaps finally we can rid screens of huds (and floaty heads, ffs Bioware) and see every single pixel how it's meant to be seen. Better than that in-game "oh look his health is on his back" rubbish ;D

[edit]
Regarding motion control, it won't be in the controller if it has a massive screen. I think we'll just be able to use standard Wiimotes for that kind of game. OR the whole thing will be modular and we just take off screens and motion+ or sticks as we please.

Man said:
Not sure if this generally agreed upon or already semi-confirmed upon (prob a few thousand posts back) but having normal buttons and similar stick out of a screen environment is pretty cool. All helper text, gui, ammo counters etc could be placed on the controller itself.

hell just place the entire hud on the controller. imagine: an HD Zelda with no hud to spoil the beauty

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Man said:

i have always wondered about the effect of this, i.e., the removal of labels such as "A BUTTON" or "Z TRIGGER" and the description of buttons via their intended in-game action. looking at that keyboard that does just that--lets you assign lots of specific commands and things to individual keys--i presume that there is still an overarching descriptor for each button. there's a universality to "press the B BUTTON to jump" that there isn't in "press the JUMP BUTTON" game to game, because instantly when you tell a player to press B they know where B is and don't have to go searching for it. applying specific results to specific buttons without a name for that button abstracted from the game world could actually make it more initially cumbersome to learn to make things happen in-game, potentially. maybe not.

i like the idea of having a more colorful visual representation of in-game results of pressing buttons on the controller, for what it's worth. i particularly like the idea of that readout seeming to come from within the game world itself, e.g., a control panel with which samus calls in her ship or switches to the ice beam.

[Nintex]

Since the AR software is an important feature of the 3DS I think Nintendo added the screen and camera for AR stuff.

gkryhewy said:
The fact that Nintendo is about to start clearing stock with a Wii/Mario Kart bundle for $149 could be indicative of a sooner than expected launch.
Not only that but it looks like they're going to clear Wii remote stock by releasing Wii Play: Motion. The $149 Wii Mario kart bundle makes the Wii itself actually $99, back when Nintendo shitcanned the GameCube the Mario Kart DD bundle was $149/149 euro too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
runnin_blue said:
PosTing from page 121 so sorry if beaten.

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

gameboy-cubed-simple.jpg

TBH, that's really what I envision with this controller (adding in a real analog stick on the right and minus the GC color/button scheme). The screen slides out of the top of the controller so you can take it with you elsewhere.

Mr_Brit said:
Does anyone think that if 3DS doesn't see a big increase in sales this holiday that Nintendo might bring forward the release of Wii 2?

I think that depends more on what third parties want.
If Nintendo is really trying to court third parties, they won't just rush out the console with unfinished games.
Also, I really can't see the 3DS NOT doing well this holiday. If Nintendo gets desperate, I'm sure there are some games they're sitting on that they can throw out and get big sales.

Plinko said:
TBH, that's really what I envision with this controller (minus the GC color/button scheme). The screen slides out of the top of the controller so you can take it with you elsewhere.

I really think that, if this thing is more portable, then the eShop will definitely be cross platform. You can play some downloadable games on it and stuff. Maybe it will have it's own street pass even.

bidaum

Man said:
You'd have to look away from the screen; would be a nightmare for any fast-paced games, and arguably a distraction for slow one. Works for a handheld because the screens are so close together.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
[Nintex] said:
Since the AR software is an important feature of the 3DS I think Nintendo added the screen and camera for AR stuff.
I kind of hope not since I play console games in a pretty dark room so the camera won't work that great. When I want to use the AR stuff on the 3DS I have to go to my kitchen just so it's bright enough.

seady

I still think making a separate screen on a new controller instead of utilizing the 3DS is a waste of opportunity. Especially if Nintendo plans to make people bring the controller with them everywhere.

I can see the controller being used as a portable for virtual console and downloadable games though. But it should be done via the 3DS instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom