• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
seady said:
I still think making a separate screen on a new controller instead of utilizing the 3DS is a waste of opportunity. Especially if Nintendo plans to make people bring the controller with them everywhere.

I can see the controller being used as a portable for virtual console and downloadable games though. But it should be done via the 3DS instead.

Likely both will happen.
Not everyone will have a 3DS, remember. And the 3DS also doesn't have dual analog.

the only problem is: if this thing is backwards compatible with the Wii, how will the controller register the Nunchuk and Wiimote separately. unless you have to use the combo when playing Wii games, of course

From The Dust said:
the only problem is: if this thing is backwards compatible with the Wii, how will the controller register the Nunchuk and Wiimote separately. unless you have to use the combo when playing Wii games, of course

Eh?
It's just a bluetooth signal.
It would register it just like the Wii does.
Unless you mean how the N6 controller works with Wii games, which... it won't. Just like GC games don't use the Wii controller.

Nice! That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I think the red lights would be on the rear top edge of the device though instead of the front, assuming there is a sensor bar+camera looking at it.

From The Dust said:

It's likely you would have to do that, Gamecube BC was the same. Assuming it's more like the above mockup rather than a Wii remote++.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
My idea for the controller is this:

2a8ji2h.png

The features are:

*The embedded screen supports multitouch.
*The device SoC is a GBA Processor running at 100Mhz.
*1MB Main RAM
*256MB NAND Flash
*Integrated Battery

The system can run as a HUD for games, it becomes better in local multiplayer and at the same time it can be used as a stand alone console for itself.

robor

Always-honest said:
i'm reading this.. and it's not about the topic you think everybody SHOULD be taking about.

I honestly don't have time to satiate your defense mechanisms, it leads to premature assumptions about another (which you've just displayed right now). I was merely agreeing upon the two massive discussions (one regarding gpu/cpu talk over new-control talk) that are being compiled together. I think a thread split would be nicer, more luxurious but it's not the GAF way/standard, so I'm fine with it regardless.

I was simply agreeing with him, that's all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can confirm that SEGA are well in the know about this console as well, and were speaking to a colleague about it at a recent event.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: timing. I tend to think it will be a staggered launch, with Wii2 coming out in Japan by Spring/Summer and holiday season 2012 in NA/PAL. Just think it is too early to have any kind of decent launch lineup to launch sooner.

I guess I could possibly see a holiday 2011 Japan launch if we assume Japanese 3rd parties have had dev kits for a lot longer.

EatChildren said:
I can confirm that SEGA are well in the know about this console as well, and were speaking to a colleague about it at a recent event.

Well, that would make sense.
I mean, if Activision has had dev kits for "months" then companies like Sega, Konami and Square would have had them for even longer.
schuelma said:
Re: timing. I tend to think it will be a staggered launch, with Wii2 coming out in Japan by Spring/Summer and holiday season 2012 in NA/PAL. Just think it is too early to have any kind of decent launch lineup to launch sooner.

I guess I could possibly see a holiday 2011 Japan launch if we assume Japanese 3rd parties have had dev kits for a lot longer.

That would actually be best. The Wii is pretty much dead in Japan, but still doing ok in the west. And if they have some good games ready, then they should hit big.

EatChildren said:

really, I think this is a given. Sega has been bedding with Nintendo for a long time. Sega is like that friend who was a dick years ago, but had a stroke of bad luck and then became your friend

Azure J

EatChildren said:

Now if only SEGA in your post meant "Platinum Games". :p

EatChildren said:

Interesting. It's funny that only a week ago people were saying a new console wasn't coming any time soon because we've not heard any rumours from devs yet.

1-D_FTW

EatChildren said:

That would explain why Sega is releasing Sonic and Mario at the London Olympics in 2011 instead of waiting a little closer to Summer 2012. They want to get it out for the fall 2011 launch and capitalize on launch euphoria for Nintendo HD.

Believe

Graphics Horse said:
Interesting. It's funny that only a week ago people were saying a new console wasn't coming any time soon because we've not heard any rumours from devs yet.

Crazy people were saying that. You would have to be crazy not thinking Nintendo were going to reveal their new home console this year. It's been written on the wall since last years e3.

Vinterbird said:
Crazy people were saying that. You would have to be crazy not thinking Nintendo were going to reveal their new home console this year. It's been written on the wall since last years e3.

I disagree. I knew they had a new console, and would be launching it in 2012. But I would have bet good money that they would have saved unveiling it until their fall conference and then a big blow out at next year's E3.
In fact, I think they would have, had the 3DS sold all 4 million units by the end of March. Now, they're just doing to to sate the investors.
Which is good for us, I suppose.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eteric Rice said:
They say anything about the console?

Nothing specific. Just a lot of murmering from the PR folk. We're in Aus, so it's likely the Japanese branches have all the devkits and info, but due to NDAs cant talk much about it, so the PR in other regions (especially smaller ones like Australia) know it's there, but not the specifics.

And I know all that is probably very obvious. Just figured I'd give some more validity to the "its coming" rumour.

TunaLover

I never got precise response from touchscreens, must be something wrong with my thumb because the stylus always works the way I want.

Plinko said:
TBH, that's really what I envision with this controller (adding in a real analog stick on the right and minus the GC color/button scheme). The screen slides out of the top of the controller so you can take it with you elsewhere.
But it doesn't make sense cost wise. The 6'' screen as described by the rumor could be include 1 per system and not 1 for each controller as most people think. The screen could be attached to a controller though.
Nightbringer said:
My idea for the controller is this:

2a8ji2h.png
Remenber rumor says 6'' screen. That won't fit in your standar Wiiremote form factor.

AceBandage said:
I disagree. I knew they had a new console, and would be launching it in 2012. But I would have bet good money that they would have saved unveiling it until their fall conference and then a big blow out at next year's E3.
In fact, I think they would have, had the 3DS sold all 4 million units by the end of March. Now, they're just doing to to sate the investors.
Which is good for us, I suppose.

Perhaps it's just me then. But it seemed really obvious since they haven't made any worthwhile announcements for the Wii in a long time now. And it's highly unlikely that Nintendo would just put every available developer in the 3DS basket.

(And I'm still totally convinced they will launch their console this year)

Woffls

AceBandage said:
This is exactly what I was expecting as well, but I think they're doing it early because they need time to win over the core gamers. With Wii they could have just done a Saturn [It was Saturn, right? I dunno, anyway..] and it would have been fine by Christmas, but people like us need to see trailers for a year to be convinced that, yeah, maybe Nintendo should be taken seriously this time.

That and, well, it's all going to leak anyway. I expect there will be a press release this month after the investors conference, because Nintendo like to control their messages.

1-D_FTW said:
That would explain why Sega is releasing Sonic and Mario at the London Olympics in 2011 instead of waiting a little closer to Summer 2012. They want to get it out for the fall 2011 launch and capitalize on launch euphoria for Nintendo HD.

Believe
Mario and sonic 1 was released the Xmas before the Beijing olympics

ombz said:
Do we know which site's source (IGN or the french site) is more reliable.

As far as the power aspect goes, none of them are. Too many conflicting reports. IGN is just reporting what he French site said, which was all just speculation on their part.
For the controller, however, it seems all the sites agree on this part, so that seems like it's all but confirmed.

EatChildren said:
Nothing specific. Just a lot of murmering from the PR folk. We're in Aus, so it's likely the Japanese branches have all the devkits and info, but due to NDAs cant talk much about it, so the PR in other regions (especially smaller ones like Australia) know it's there, but not the specifics.

And I know all that is probably very obvious. Just figured I'd give some more validity to the "its coming" rumour.

well hearing that the other branches have kits already validates some rumors.

robor said:
I honestly don't have time to satiate your defense mechanisms, it leads to premature assumptions about another (which you've just displayed right now). I was merely agreeing upon the two massive discussions (one regarding gpu/cpu talk over new-control talk) that are being compiled together. I think a thread split would be nicer, more luxurious but it's not the GAF way/standard, so I'm fine with it regardless.

I was simply agreeing with him, that's all.
Okay, maybe i misread that. I always think it's a bit too easy to say: "you're discussing the wrong topic", without adding something to the discussion. I thought that was the case.

With the little info we have i think it's better to keep it in one topic.
But i can understand that it's hard to filter with a thread going this fast.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
From The Dust said:

And like I've said earlier in this thread, I would bet that Japanese devs have had them longer than Western ones.

EatChildren

From The Dust said:

Well, I dont know for absolute sure SEGA have kits. They never outright claimed anything. There was just buzz, talk of Nintendo's next console, rarr rarr. At the very least they expect it, and thus probably know something, my personal guess being that the Japanese branches have the devkits.

DeathNote said:
Whoever leaked the info needs to look at websites and leak better info.

If it was a sanctioned leak (which, given the speed and specificity of the leaks it could be) then this may be all they can say.

Juice

The funny thing about this entire ordeal is that I'm still bummed that Nintendo's breaking their new-every-5-year promise to my inner US Nintendo fan's circadian rhythm. [And yes, I realize all the reasons why this console iteration wound up being longer.]

NES - 1985-6ish
SNES - 8/23/1991
N64 - 9/29/1996
GCN - 11/18/2001
Wii - 11/19/2006
??? - Late 2012 ~ WTF!

Should have been late 2011. :(

DeathNote said:
Whoever leaked the info needs to look at conflicting reports in websites and leak better info.
Most times its the same company that leaks this stuff. It works better for Nintendo to have everyone guessing without actually knowing anything.

Iron_Scimitar said:
If Sega got back into the game, that would extend my life by 10 years.

Into what game?

They'll never be part of the hardware race again.
They'll continue to make games for a long time, though.

schuelma said:
And like I've said earlier in this thread, I would bet that Japanese devs have had them longer than Western ones.

maybe if they are Square Enix and Sega. otherwise they might have had them as long as EA, Activision, and Ubisoft. as large as they are, they'd be the first on my list before most Japanese developers

From The Dust said:
maybe if they are Square Enix and Sega. otherwise they might have had them as long as EA, Activision, and Ubisoft. as large as they are, they'd be the first on my list before most Japanese developers

I'm betting Capcom got them before everyone else.
Nintendo and Capcom seem to have some weird little thing going on lately. Ever since the MH3 announcement.

EatChildren

Considering the response to the 3DS reveal, where developers talked about their franchises and what they could do on the system, I suspect Nintendo will do the same for this.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
AceBandage said:
If it was a sanctioned leak (which, given the speed and specificity of the leaks it could be) then this may be all they can say.

If it was a sanctioned leak they would have done it themselves press-release style like the 3DS, just revealing the basics they wanted to.

If it was a sanctioned leak you wouldn't have had so many of the rumours at complete odds with each other.

The only way I can see the 6" screen one have any benefit is if it takes up the front surface of the remote, but that's a manufacturing nightmare and then you have the cost/fragility/battery life problems. Apply the 6" screen rumour in any other way and you throw too much of what has been successful about the Wii out the window. And things like the game-streaming rumour are bullshit for various reasons.

Basically none of it adds up, and we need something concrete from Nintendo.

AceBandage said:
Nintendo and Capcom seem to have some weird little thing going on lately. Ever since the MH3 announcement.

crap, forgot about Capcom. MH HD launch title :O

wwm0nkey

AceBandage said:
Nintendo vs Capcom confirmed! :lol

but yeah they have been really buddy buddy recently. Also if the new console is shown at E3 this will be the first time Ono hasnt trolled us.

Woffls

From The Dust said:
I'd have thought Capcom would be at least among the first to get one. They've always been close to Nintendo, and Capcom are a key player in the market they're targeting. I also think EA/Activision will have gotten them super early, before Sega anyway.

[edit]Nintendo vs Capcom. My god, just imagine it. Smash Bros mixed with all the good characters from MvC ;D

Eteric Rice

AceBandage said:

Yeah.

Wonder if Monster Hunter 4 is the big surprise? :O

EatChildren said:
Considering the response to the 3DS reveal, where developers talked about their franchises and what they could do on the system, I suspect Nintendo will do the same for this.

Every developer and publisher is going to be on this like crazy. It's the successor to the Wii. Just like the 3DS it will have succes-story written all over it, and publishers will not want to be left behind if it takes off, like most were in the early days of the DS and Wii.

So yeah, a ton of "this is the next big thing" from everyone in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom