• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AceBandage said:
I'm betting Capcom got them before everyone else.
Nintendo and Capcom seem to have some weird little thing going on lately. Ever since the MH3 announcement.

Agree. I'm half expecting a brand new RE game for Wii2 to be the centerpiece at E3.

a friend made this

YA8If.jpg

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah.

Wonder if Monster Hunter 4 is the big surprise? :O
My body is ready! Though Monster Hunter 3G seems more likely.

Capcom is the BEST third-party out there, I'm glad Nintendo have a good relationship with them. :)

I understand some people like the idea of an on-controller screen to double as a game's HUD, but I fail to see how this works. I don't want to look down each time I need to check my health, ammo or some other piece of vital information.

Sadist

Capcom's definetly in the know of all the Japanese companies.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo announces third party support in the same vein like last year with the 3DS. Activision with CoD '12, EA with Madden/FIFA, Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed '12, Capcom with Resident Evil (6) and a fighter, Sega with Sonic and Namco-Bandai with uhhh... I don't know.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
FunnyBunny said:
I understand some people like the idea of an on-controller screen to double as a game's HUD, but I fail to see how this works. I don't want to look down each time I need to check my health, ammo or some other piece of vital information.
Similarly, touch buttons would be hard to hit since you can feel them.

Earl Cazone said:
a friend made this

YA8If.jpg

I approve of this. I'd be very satisfied if the Tablet component was a separate controller, and that the system shipped with both Tablet and Wiimote / Nunchuck combo, which are used separately, not in-tandem.

The existence of two different styles of controller that ship with every console means designers can take advantage of loads of unique 2 player coop experiences - one guy is commanding a squad of soldiers on the ground using the tablet, the player with the Wiimote/chuck is a sniper giving the team overwatch on the main TV screen. Stuff like that.

Sadist said:
Capcom's definetly in the know of all the Japanese companies.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo announces third party support in the same vein like last year with the 3DS. Activision with CoD '12, EA with Madden/FIFA, Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed '12, Capcom with Resident Evil (6) and a fighter, Sega with Sonic and Namco-Bandai with uhhh... I don't know.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaacer!

Nab

While we're all making crazy bets on what it's going to be like, here's mine!

Maybe the controller will be able to FOLD OUT into a screen for use as an iPad style controller, or be folded/rolled up for Wii-like or classic controller play.

Yes, roll up/fold up screens sounds ****ing mental. But then, there was this concept floating around not too long ago for a laptop using flexible OLEDs and then we heard nothing more about it:

http://www.popgadget.net/2009/10/the_rolltop_lap.php

If they want to blow minds then that'd be a good way of doing it.

Woffls

FunnyBunny said:
Maybe not for fast paced games like shooters, but there are a lot of genres where a HUD is obstructing and rarely utilised anyway. Take Elder Scrolls as an example, how often do you need to look at the HUD for just wandering around town yapping to people? But for inventory management a touch screen would be an absolute god send.

It should be optional, though, as there's certainly some games that need on screen information like how much ammo or health you have... well not so much with health seeing as everyone uses bloody screens these days. SO REAL.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Eteric Rice said:
Yeah.

Wonder if Monster Hunter 4 is the big surprise? :O

Well I'm sure there must be something left to come MH related, they would have at the very least talked about their next handheld when doing that deal. And next console as well probably. But it's Capcom, and they jump companies quicker than a whore when the next boat sails into port.

Wild speculation time: the developer angle of the Wii 2 is built round making the transition to HD cheaper. The Wii chipset in the Wii 2 for backwards compatibility has been tweaked to re-render in HD, so MH Tri, Dragon Quest X, Zelda and every other Wii game would automatically be enhanced while still maintaining 100% compatibility. Making the transition to HD a lot easier, especially for smaller developers which Iwata has expressed concern about.

Unlikely, but it would explain the higher-res assets in some Wii games, as well as their outrageous R&D spend.

ombz

George said:
Has anyone speculated on if it will have a Hard drive? and what size it could be? i hoping for at least 150GB
I'd imagine that Nintendo has learned from Wii that 512mb is not nearly enough.

George said:
Has anyone speculated on if it will have a Hard drive? and what size it could be? i hoping for at least 150GB

It will likely have some sort of internal storage. Probably at least 10Gigs, but I wouldn't expect more than 50.

Woffls

George said:
HDD pricing probably means it would be 500gb or something, because they're hardly much more than 120gb drives last time I checked. Whether they use HDD or solid state is the real question.

I hope they use cartridges for games :(

bidaum

Woffls said:
Maybe not for fast paced games like shooters, but there are a lot of genres where a HUD is obstructing and rarely utilised anyway. Take Elder Scrolls as an example, how often do you need to look at the HUD for just wandering around town yapping to people? But for inventory management a touch screen would be an absolute god send.

It should be optional, though, as there's certainly some games that need on screen information like how much ammo or health you have... well not so much with health seeing as everyone uses bloody screens these days. SO REAL.
I would rather just use a button on the controller to toggle the HUD than have a separate HUD. You would rather manage an Elder Scrolls inventory on a 6" screen rather than your large tv?

gkryhewy said:
The fact that Nintendo is about to start clearing stock with a Wii/Mario Kart bundle for $149 could be indicative of a sooner than expected launch.
Second major price drop in 4.5 years, only $100 from launch price, is not exactly a clearance move, nor indicative of the next gen approaching. PS2 dropped to $149 3.5 years from launch, with PS3's release still 2.5 years away. GCN dropped to half launch price in under 2 years, and Wii was still more than 3 years away. It's just indicative of them thinking they'll be better off finally selling Wii for another $50 less.
From The Dust said:
hell just place the entire hud on the controller. imagine: an HD Zelda with no hud to spoil the beauty
I don't know. The majestic HD beauty of Hyrule will kind of be spoiled every time I have to stop looking at it to see the HUD.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ThoseDeafMutes said:
I approve of this. I'd be very satisfied if the Tablet component was a separate controller, and that the system shipped with both Tablet and Wiimote / Nunchuck combo, which are used separately, not in-tandem.

The existence of two different styles of controller that ship with every console means designers can take advantage of loads of unique 2 player coop experiences - one guy is commanding a squad of soldiers on the ground using the tablet, the player with the Wiimote/chuck is a sniper giving the team overwatch on the main TV screen. Stuff like that.

This is all bonkers though.

A dumb-tablet isn't going to be able to stream games well enough for Nintendo, you will have lag. The video will have to be rescaled, compressed and decompressed. And at 6" the resolution is going to involve massively more data than the already laggy PSP/PS3 remote play.

If the tablet isn't dumb, and has its own CPU/GPU you are massively escalating costs, taking that expenditure away from the console itself, and it becomes standalone which would compete with the 3DS.

Dumb tablet which doesn't work well and can't leave the house = ridiculous.
Smart tablet = competing with themselves.

None of it adds up.

Woffls said:
HDD pricing probably means it would be 500gb or something, because they're hardly much more than 120gb drives last time I checked. Whether they use HDD or solid state is the real question.

I hope they use cartridges for games :(

They won't use cards for their games. That's still far to expensive for HD gaming.
And they won't use Solid State for the same reason.

Woffls

bidaum said:
I would rather just use a button on the controller to toggle the HUD than have a separate HUD. You would rather manage an Elder Scrolls inventory on a 6" screen rather than your large tv?
On a touch screen where I can just drag and drop stuff? Sure. Obviously the inventory system would be changed to suit the touch screen, but I can't see it being worse than what Bethesda have used in the past.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Juice said:
The funny thing about this entire ordeal is that I'm still bummed that Nintendo's breaking their new-every-5-year promise to my inner US Nintendo fan's circadian rhythm. [And yes, I realize all the reasons why this console iteration wound up being longer.]

NES - 1985-6ish
SNES - 8/23/1991
N64 - 9/29/1996
GCN - 11/18/2001
Wii - 11/19/2006
??? - Late 2012 ~ WTF!

Should have been late 2011. :(

It still may be late 2011. Nintendo seemed to have rushed the 3DS launch and they may rush this one as well to give them a nice year or two on the competition. Depends on how many titles they have ready, though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DECK'ARD said:

A dumb-tablet isn't going to be able to stream games well enough for Nintendo, you will have lag.

Not if they use a proprietary wireless method, which was detailed way back in this thread. You're looking at anywhere from 1-16ms of lag. That's less than most televisions.

schuelma

Plinko said:
It still may be late 2011. Nintendo seemed to have rushed the 3DS launch and they may rush this one as well to give them a nice year or two on the competition. Depends on how many titles they have ready, though.

I just don't see a console launch at the same as 3DS first holiday season. I think the absolute earliest we see this is Spring 2012.

Dennis

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
I'd love to see the GAF meltdowns if Nintendo announced this thing was launching with only 16GB of onboard flash memory.
How do you know it won't?

16GB of flash memory seems like a fine idea to me if you are making an affordable mass market console.

Plinko

schuelma said:
I just don't see a console launch at the same as 3DS first holiday season. I think the absolute earliest we see this is Spring 2012.

I don't either, and my original prediction was always Spring 2012--a year after 3DS. I was just saying it's a possibility.

DECK'ARD said:

A dumb-tablet isn't going to be able to stream games well enough for Nintendo, you will have lag. The video will have to be rescaled, compressed and decompressed. And at 6" the resolution is going to involve massively more data than the already laggy PSP/PS3 remote play.

If the tablet isn't dumb, and has its own CPU/GPU you are massively escalating costs, taking that expenditure away from the console itself, and it becomes standalone which would compete with the 3DS.

None of it adds up.

No denying that, son. But as we all know, rumors are 100% truefact.

schuelma

Plinko said:
I don't either, and my original prediction was always Spring 2012--a year after 3DS. I was just saying it's a possibility.

I guess its possible in Japan because Wii has been dead there for a long time, but even that is a stretch.

Mr_Brit said:
I'd love to see the GAF meltdowns if Nintendo announced this thing was launching with only 16GB of onboard flash memory.

What's the problem with thst? As long as either SDHC or USB drive support is there that would be adequate.

Mr_Brit

Banned
DennisK4 said:
How do you know it won't?

16GB of flash memory seems like a fine idea to me if you are making an affordable mass market console.
Of course I don't know and I agree that 16GB of flash is something Nintendo would do but the meltdowns from some on GAF would still be hilarious.

Woffls

AceBandage said:
They won't use cards for their games. That's still far to expensive for HD gaming.
And they won't use Solid State for the same reason.
I dunno, SSD's could drop in price massively over the next year. I'm sure there's a graph somewhere that shows the costs will be much lower by then, but it's more a case of what reason they could have to implement it.

I don't know how much removable storage used in cartridges is this days, but if it follows the trend of things like SD cards and USB sticks, then surely a 16gb card is feasible?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Plinko said:
Not if they use a proprietary wireless method, which was detailed way back in this thread. You're looking at anywhere from 1-16ms of lag. That's less than most televisions.

Already explained all this, aside from the fact that Nintendo haven't used non-standard technology for things like this since the Wavebird.

It's immature technology, no agreed standard, and all have drawbacks. One is line of sight and can not go through walls, the others are prone to interference from Wi-Fi.

It's not going to happen.

Plinko said:
It still may be late 2011. Nintendo seemed to have rushed the 3DS launch.

If anything it was behind schedule, but you could they rushed it from being even more behind schedule.

Mr_Brit said:
Of course I don't know and I agree that 16GB of flash is something Nintendo would do but the meltdowns from some on GAF would still be hilarious.

Yes and yes. At least for a launch unit, it's enough. Make it expandable and you're sorted.

Plinko

Mr_Brit said:

With Nintendo's (puzzling) lack of focus on demos and downloadable games, 16 GB seems like way more than enough for a Nintendo system.

ryan-ts

DECK'ARD said:

None of it adds up.

Someone had a youtube clip much earlier in this thread where video was being streamed 720p to a tablet. Was it an AMD product? Anyway, if anyone has the link just post it I guess.

MikeTyson

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Seeing as GAF has had well over 3 instances when the site was just shut down over whaa? Project Cafe! - would't doubt it!

Woffls said:
I dunno, SSD's could drop in price massively over the next year. I'm sure there's a graph somewhere that shows the costs will be much lower by then, but it's more a case of what reason they could have to implement it.

I don't know how much removable storage used in cartridges is this days, but if it follows the trend of things like SD cards and USB sticks, then surely a 16gb card is feasible?

Well, I suppose SSDs could possibly be used, but I don't see it. They use a normal HDD if anything.
As for game cards, they are cheaper, but BluRay discs and drives are cheaper still.
The 3DS cards can really only go up to 8GB (and are stuck at 2GB right now due to costs).
It's just much more reasonable to expect them to use BluRay.

zoukka

Mr_Brit said:

Those people will have meltdowns no matter what the console has inside.

Plinko said:
It still may be late 2011. Nintendo seemed to have rushed the 3DS launch and they may rush this one as well to give them a nice year or two on the competition.
Aside from the eShop launching late (which I maintain is still an attempt at making a mandatory firmware update around flash cards), is there any evidence for this or are you just kind of making it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom