• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

Boney said:
wii is seasonal. Let's see how it sells throughout the year

It went from 20 mil last year to an estimated 16 mil this year. Something needs to be corrected. Either new software or new console.

Personally as long as Nintendo can get an online infrastructure that grows naturally a la Xbox Live, I'll be happy.

When Nintendo made the Wii, I think they anticipated that the mid-to-lower-end development teams would move to them while the higher-end developers shifted to HD consoles and potentially developed down-ports to Wii. Unfortunately, they miscalculated the power of DD game venues such as Steam, XBLA, PSN, and iOS. Developers went there instead, as they offered cheaper ways to produce higher-end games.

This next generation will be hard to gauge. If PS4/Xbox3 come out with a huge boost of graphical prowress, it might be that much harder to produce games that are not aimed as AAA. Perhaps Nintendo hopes that this time the other two will not boost themselves so high as they did this gen. That way they can get their ports and also improve relationships with smaller and larger developers.

In the end, that is the biggest thing that hurt Nintendo this generation: the lack of third party support within 3 years.

farnham

Banned
apana said:
It went from 20 mil last year to an estimated 16 mil this year. Something needs to be corrected. Either new software or new console.
pricedrop

99 dollars
TheUnknownForce said:
Personally as long as Nintendo can get an online infrastructure that grows naturally a la Xbox Live, I'll be happy.

When Nintendo made the Wii, I think they anticipated that the mid-to-lower-end development teams would move to them while the higher-end developers shifted to HD consoles and potentially developed down-ports to Wii. Unfortunately, they miscalculated the power of DD game venues such as Steam, XBLA, PSN, and iOS. Developers went there instead, as they offered cheaper ways to produce higher-end games.

This next generation will be hard to gauge. If PS4/Xbox3 come out with a huge boost of graphical prowress, it might be that much harder to produce games that are not aimed as AAA. Perhaps Nintendo hopes that this time the other two will not boost themselves so high as they did this gen. That way they can get their ports and also improve relationships with smaller and larger developers.

In the end, that is the biggest thing that hurt Nintendo this generation: the lack of third party support within 3 years.
i argue nintendo should argue third parties and strengthen their own resources

third parties will never embrace nintendo platforms unless they absolutely have no other choice

gcubed

TheUnknownForce said:

the unfortunate thing for me is i expected Nintendo to learn more then they did with their foray into the online space. The 3DS isn't inspiring confidence in me for this

robor

Plinko said:
I can't imagine Nintendo implements something in their controller and has it's main function be something other than gaming. That goes completely against everything they've ever done in the gaming industry.

No, I just mean the tablet is a separate device from the controller and the console. Like that N6 concept you saw on the previous page.

apana

farnham said:
pricedrop

99 dollars

Price drop involves cutting into their profits. I don't think Nintendo is especially eager to get people into the habit of expecting 99 dollar consoles.

Raide

Anyone else really not fussed about a small screen showing information? I hate having to drag my eyes away from the TV, just to check some information that could easily be put onto a well designed HUD. Yeah, not everyone wants them but do we really need another screen just to add this kind of info?

If this is just a more advanced VMU, I cannot remember any DC games that used it really well. Resi: CV has the Heart Rate stuff but thats about it. The more information they rip from the HUD and shove onto a small screen, the more time people will have to take staring at it.

farnham

Banned
apana said:
Price drop involves cutting into their profits. I don't think Nintendo is especially eager to get people into the habit of expecting 99 dollar consoles.
nintendo sold the GC at 99 dollars and generated profits

they can easily do that with the wii which is basically an overclocked gc

Boney said:
wii is seasonal. Let's see how it sells throughout the year

regardless of sales, there's like 4 games coming out, with a a few more being announced at E3.
Yeah, it's really just about the games. Casuals will be buying Wiis for years to come, but with so few new games on the horizon, the system can be declared dead.

And I gotta say, I'm sick of Zelda games launching on dead consoles.

gcubed said:
the unfortunate thing for me is i expected Nintendo to learn more then they did with their foray into the online space. The 3DS isn't inspiring confidence in me for this

The 3DS has a good online system, it's just missing a few features that are going to be added later on.

[Nintex]

gcubed said:
That's true, however online could've been a bigger focus for Wii 2 than it was for 3DS and we're still not sure what the May update does.

farnham said:
it still is ahead of ps2 in its lifetime and sells better then what gc sold in its lifetime

its not dead
i hope not

but its capcom

they wont support the wii no matter how hight he market share is
Not dead? Lol. Its the equivalent of a person diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit whose immune system is non-existent. Sure, he's still living but he's as good as dead. The Wii has nothing significant being released other than Zelda. The blue ocean buyers aren't playing with it. Sales are dropping like a ton of bricks. Butyea, a replacement isn't needed ASAP. Lol oh farnham.

apana

civilstrife said:
Yeah, it's really just about the games. Casuals will be buying Wiis for years to come, but with so few new games on the horizon, the system can be declared dead.

And I gotta say, I'm sick of Zelda games launching on dead consoles.

I'm sick of companies switching or delaying games in order to provide momentum for new consoles. It's a shitty move because the fans have been patiently waiting for half a decade and not all of us will want to buy a Wii 2 immediately. What if it launches at $399 in the fall of 2012?

farnham

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Not dead? Lol. Its the equivalent of a person diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit whose immune system is non-existent. Sure, he's still living but he's as good as dead. The Wii has nothing significant being released other than Zelda. The blue ocean buyers aren't playing with it. Sales are dropping like a ton of bricks. Butyea, a replacement isn't needed ASAP. Lol oh farnham.
yeah we knew what the wii would have for christmas this time of the year in 2009 right

kirby epic yarn, donkey kong country returns

we all knew about those games right ?

also will a new console suddenly make the nintendo console into a third party heaven with a constant release list..? dream on

nintendo better try to convince the current userbase they have that the wii purchase wasnt a bad idea before convincing them to buy something new

also we still have kirby wii, pandoras tower, rythm heaven, wii play 2, dragon quest 10 alongside some unknown games

also did you ask every wii user on the planet if they are playing it or not ? probably not.

[Nintex]

BlueMagic said:
Could we please stop talking about this?

E3 is like decades away =(.
The end of April is not and even if Nintendo keeps their mouth shut about this thing investors are going to ask questions. This hasn't gone by unnoticed. This is probably why Nintendo was going to announce it this month because they knew something this big with so many parties involved would leak in advance. It seems that Game Informer beat them to the punch and with the NDA being broken anyway others came out to play.

farnham said:
yeah we knew what the wii would have for christmas this time of the year in 2009 right

also will a new console suddenly make the nintendo console into a third party heaven with a constant release list..? dream on

nintendo better try to convince the current userbase they have that the wii purchase wasnt a bad idea before convincing them to buy something new

also we still have kirby wii, pandoras tower, rythm heaven, wii play 2, dragon quest 10 alongside some unknown games
Wii now is what the GameCube was after 2004. Nintendo has decided to drop it and it has been a great ride while it lasted. The Wii purchase certainly wasn't a bad idea looking at the ammount of great first party titles that sold well. I think they've been able to do all that is possible with the system and perhaps even more if we look at the Mario Galaxy games. Still the market continues to change and Nintendo needs to adapt their strategy.

robor

Raide said:
Anyone else really not fussed about a small screen showing information? I hate having to drag my eyes away from the TV, just to check some information that could easily be put onto a well designed HUD. Yeah, not everyone wants them but do we really need another screen just to add this kind of info?

Yep. It makes no sense to me either, hence my senseless tablet proposition!

Eteric Rice

Guys, I seriously doubt the gameplay will be streamed through the controller. It will be used to make managing equipment/options/etc easier.

I think it's probably partially because the casual audience seems to have an easier time with touch controls than both motion and button control. A touch screen would make playing "core" games a lot easier for everyone.

Also, what if instead of streaming the menu/equipment screen/etc, it was downloaded to the controller from the system? I mean hell, a UI can't be more than a few megs can it?

Hell, the Wii-mote has memory in it. I believe it was used for Monster Hunter Tri.

farnham

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Guys, I seriously doubt the gameplay will be streamed through the controller. It will be used to make managing equipment/options/etc easier.

I think it's probably partially because the casual audience seems to have an easier time with touch controls than both motion and button control. A touch screen would make playing "core" games a lot easier for everyone.

Also, what if instead of streaming the menu/equipment screen/etc, it was downloaded to the controller from the system? I mean hell, a UI can't be more than a few megs can it?

Hell, the Wii-mote has memory in it. I believe it was used for Monster Hunter Tri.
you can transport miis through your wiimote

AceBandage said:
The 3DS has a good online system, it's just missing a few features that are going to be added later on.

I think he means that because it lacks the same "tightness" of a community like Xbox Live and PSN it sorta falls short of his expectations.

The friend codes still require outside communications.
Messaging is just about impossible to get right.
Online games are currently just 1.
It seems SpotPass will be marginally used, too.

Considering the dough they have spent on R+D in the last few years, I think they have some big things to show off soon.

DECK'ARD said:
Bundling in effect an extra tiny television with each console with limited uses just doesn't sound like Nintendo to me. It will not be able to be used as a wireless substitute television, there's too many practical problems with that regarding gaming. Nintendo are incredibly fussy about things like control, they won't go with anything that has lag.

It's also an extra expense, and takes costs away from the console itself. They've been encouraging people to play together around a television, this is what separates a console from a handheld.

Working out what exact use this screen would have to justify its inclusion is the big sticking point of all these rumours, it just doesn't add up versus all the downsides.

My theory would be, if it's in there, that this is Chinese whispers gone mad.

DS style selection of things would have some benefits, just not enough to go mad with a 6" screen. Small touchscreen in the remote, like a touch-sensitive VMU? Sure. Not too costly, not too fragile, and you'd retain the form factor.

If bio-feedback is involved, then even a small information screen like the VMU makes sense. You'd display the relevant information directly to the person concerned, heartrate, whatever. It would personalise the remote, an extension of what they did with the Wii.

If bio-feedback is involved, then it's likely the back was touch-sensitive which might be where all this 6" talk is coming back.

Going wilder on speculation, if they go to town on bio-feedback it might have a thumbprint reader as well. So the screen would display the owner of the remote, and in doing so personalise the experience of the game, the Home screen of the Wii 2, everything. That would give you automatic parental controls as well, and we know how much Nintendo love them :)
Im not exactly getting what´s your postion then. You thnik is plausible for Nintendo to use the 6´´ screen just as a VMU but the other sugested uses not viable? Relegating it just to that function would be a waste IMO for some marginal interaction. Also im not seing how having a video feed back on the touch screen prevents people from gathering around the TV.

The think is we are going by rumors here and there isn´t any of them pointing at the screen functioning as bio sensor or any mension of it in anyway. Some type of Wii vitality sensor might be included on the console though.
robor said:
No, I just mean the tablet is a separate device from the controller and the console. Like that N6 concept you saw on the previous page.
It would´ve made more sense for NIntendo to apply such functionality to its portable systems i think.
Raide said:

If this is just a more advanced VMU, I cannot remember any DC games that used it really well. Resi: CV has the Heart Rate stuff but thats about it. The more information they rip from the HUD and shove onto a small screen, the more time people will have to take staring at it.
Thats the most important part of the rumor. So we are trying to figure out a potential use that warrants the inclusion of such screen. Relegating it to just a VMU or a HUDs/menu dump has been tried before with different measures of success/failure. Im inlined to the possible use of the screen as with see in the DS, that is for a direct method of control. With the screen having the same video frame as the tv.

We might as well take the rumor out the title. It's happening.

Why does it feel like a wii2/PS4/720 is too early to be released? Every generation before this had new consoles come out 5 to 6 years after the last one. Nobody complained it was "too early". Heck when PS2 came out in 2000 (6 years after PS1 in japan, 5 years in the US) it felt like the PS1 had been out for ages. Same for PS2 when PS3 was released.

So what makes this generation so different this time?

AceBandage said:

...not to mention that Nintendo seem to have built the OS to be updateable, so we could - potentially - be sat here in a year or two in the same position as 360 owners were, having seen the platform holder active in updating the OS, adding new features etc.

With the Wii/DS, Nintendo didn't have that luxury (through their own doing, natch).

apana

mysteriousmage09 said:
Holy hell. This thread is almost 200 pages and close to 10k posts and it's only been going on for a few days. I am impressed GAF.

Well the way analysts have been speculating about it since the Wii was released, the Wii 2 is kind of like UFO or the Loch Ness monster. I still have a hard time believing it really exists.

Kung Fu Grip said:

Why does it feel like a wii2/PS4/720 is too early to be released? Every generation before this had new consoles come out 5 to 6 years after the last one. Nobody complained it was "too early". Heck when PS2 came out in 2000 (6 years after PS1 in japan, 5 years in the US) it felt like the PS1 had been out for ages. Same for PS2 when PS3 was released.

It feels like were stuck in 2007 or something because every god damn game has been the same since Modern Warfare.

Yoboman

Kung Fu Grip said:

2012/13 is perfect timing in my opinion

1-D_FTW

Raide said:

With creative developers, it's not hard to imagine some neat little extras it could add. I think it makes a lot of sense. Just not as some 6 inch monstrosity that replaces pointer controls, ditches perfect ergonomics, and makes you constantly focus on a stupid tablet that's sub-hd while the game plays in HD on the television.

Refreshment.01 said:
Im not exactly getting what´s your postion then. You thnik is plausible for Nintendo to use the 6´´ screen just as a VMU but the other sugested uses not viable? Relegating it just to that function would be a waste IMO for some marginal interaction. Also im not seing how having a video feed back on the touch screen prevents people from gathering around the TV.

The think is we are going by rumors here and there isn´t any of them pointing at the screen functioning as bio sensor or any mension of it in anyway. Some type of Wii vitality sensor might be included on the console though.

It would´ve made more sense for NIntendo to apply such functionality to its portable systems i think.

GI and the French site seem to be the most reliable. Other sites seem to have piggybacked into the site hits business with varying degrees of slop.

The French site claims there's a secret feature that's yet to be revealed. The back of the controller featuring biofeedback grip is highly likely that.

Eteric Rice

Kung Fu Grip said:

I think it's because the graphics leaps aren't as big anymore. I mean, games like Crysys 2 on a full blown computer look amazing, but for me, it's not a big enough leap to justify new consoles.

This gen could keep going if they really wanted to. Nintendo is the only one that really needs to upgrade.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Heck when PS2 came out in 2000 (6 years after PS1 in japan, 5 years in the US) it felt like the PS1 had been out for ages. Same for PS2 when PS3 was released.

We're ageing :(

Raide

1-D_FTW said:
With creative developers, it's not hard to imagine some neat little extras it could add. I think it makes a lot of sense. Just not as some 6 inch monstrosity that replaces pointer controls, ditches perfect ergonomics, and makes you constantly focus on a stupid tablet that's sub-hd while the game plays in HD on the television.

I am sure developers will think of some really great things for it but then they may as well make stuff for a handheld device, not a screen add-on for a home console. It would make more sense for them to work in links to the 3DS.

apana said:
Well the way analysts have been speculating about it since the Wii was released, the Wii 2 is kind like UFO or the Loch Ness monster. I still have a hard time believing it really exists.
61be8ad5.gif

zeioIIDX

Eteric Rice said:

That's what I think. They're basically taking what they learned from the DS and incorporating it into a home console. I was really hoping for a more traditional controller though so that they can concentrate on creating some awesome games that don't have to be a showcase for some new input method or waggle stuff. As long as the N6 does not skimp on raw power and it's online plan, I think it'll do well.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i find it very hard to believe Nintendo, or anyone for that matter, would put a giant battery-sucking 6" LCD on a controller considering how often they're dropped, tossed, etc.

then you'd have to consider how expensive these controllers would be if you need to add or replace one. it just doesn't make much sense.

Yoboman

Eteric Rice said:
I think it's because the graphics leaps aren't as big anymore. I mean, games like Crysys 2 on a full blown computer look amazing, but for me, it's not a big enough leap to justify new consoles.

This gen could keep going if they really wanted to. Nintendo is the only one that really needs to upgrade.
lol Crysis 2 is made with current gen consoles in mind, it's just a great achievement. That's like saying "Riddick looks amazing on my PC I don't need Xbox 360/PS3".

Besides the main leap will come for the mid-range developers imo

apana

I still think there's a strong possiblity that the touch screen could be 1 inch maximum and just replace the A button on the Wii mote. It would be even cooler if the touch screen was ditched altogether and we got some kind of biofeedback membrane functioning as a touchpad.

swerve

Raide said:

I wish more people had played Four Swords Adventures with 4 GBAs.

Here's an example:

Player 1 goes into a room on the (shared) big screen TV. Player 1 appears on his private screen, and only he can see the room he's in. Player 1 can see a switch changing color between various colors, and a door marked with a blue color. Player 1 is unable to reach the switch, but there is a hole in the wall next to it.

Player 3 goes into a different room (which appears on his private screen), which has just a hole in the wall, shaped like an arrow hole.

Player 1 tells Player 3 to shoot something through the hole.

Player 3 says 'just tell me when'

Player 1 waits for the switch to change to blue then says 'NOW!'

Player 3 shoots.

The door opens. All players race to be the first through the door in order to get the first look at the next puzzle.

scorcho said:
i find it very hard to believe Nintendo, or anyone for that matter, would put a giant battery-sucking 6" LCD on a controller considering how often they're dropped, tossed, etc.

then you'd have to consider how expensive these controllers would be if you need to add or replace one. it just doesn't make much sense.
Conjecture of this nature right now is completely and utterly useless.

Raide

scorcho said:

Also considering Nintendo's love of making people buy 4 remotes + later add-ons and that alone could be ridiculously expensive.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Refreshment.01 said:

No I'm saying VMU is plausible, just *not* with a 6" screen. A small screen within the form-factor of the remote, yes that's feasible.

Same with whatever touchscreen functionality would be in there. It has merits, but not to the extent to go with a 6" screen and all the downsides of fragility, batter-life, and form-factor that brings.

And if there is a screen on the controller, displaying personal information relevant to the player would be by far the most logical use of it. Which would tie in with bio-feedback, as it would also be the controller that was gathering that information.

If the controller has a thumb print reader, it would display the registered name of the person using it. It could then customise the Home screen of the Wii 2, do whatever parental controls, automatically pick your Mii, give you the option of restarting the game you last played, choose your control settings automatically, personalise the games, and everything else.

And then during the game, if there are other bio-feedback things in the controller like heart-rate monitor on the back, the screen could display them.

A video feed to the controller with no lag just isn't going to happen, there's too many practical problems with that regarding gaming and lag. If the screen is in there, I think it will be as a side-effect of whatever new feature Nintendo are building the Wii 2 around. Not something we already have like RemotePlay/VMU/DS etc.

heringer

Eteric Rice said:

Sony and MS will keep it going, but it's definitely showing it's age. Things like resolution, AA, framerate, among other things, make a substantial difference.

But yeah, the leap won't be as big.

Eteric Rice

scorcho said:

This is the company that put a shock absorber into the Gamecube. They'll probably make some kind of crazy ass plastic that's durable out of used plastic cups and some chalk.

1-D_FTW said:

GI and the French site seem to be the most reliable. Other sites seem to have piggybacked into the site hits business with varying degrees of slop.

The French site claims there's a secret feature that's yet to be revealed. The back of the controller featuring biofeedback grip is highly likely that.
Sadly the touch screen part is the info in regards to the controling method that mos sites are reporting. In my limited point of view the VMU/ HUD/Menu dump function alone are not compelling enough to warrant its inclusion with the console.

On the Bio feed back, i agree entirely. Or you include it directly on the controller or as a wrist band or something. The thing is it can´t be obstructing input options like one of your fingers, like the Wii vitality sensor does. Its really stupid and i dont know how Nintendo showed that.
scorcho said:

Please guys, try and beging considering that this screem is included with the console and not one for each controller. But there might be the option to attached to the control.
DECK'ARD said:
No I'm saying VMU is plausible, just *not* with a 6" screen. A small screen within the form-factor of the remote, yes that's feasible.

Same with whatever touchscreen functionality would be in there. It has merits, but not to the extent to go with a 6" screen and all the downsides of fragility, batter-life, and form-factor that brings.

And if there is a screen on the controller, displaying personal information relevant to the player would be by far the most logical use of it. Which would tie in with bio-feedback, as it would also be the controller that was gathering that information.

If the controller has a thumb print reader, it would display the registered name of the person using it. It could then customise the Home screen of the Wii 2, do whatever parental controls, automatically pick your Mii, give you the option of restarting the game you last played, choose your control settings automatically, personalise the games, and everything else.

And then during the game, if there are other bio-feedback things in the controller like heart-rate monitor on the back, the screen could display them.
Ahhh! Gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

Yea, i know of a million uses a bio sensor would bring to a console. Not arguing that. But if you are using that screen just to output bio readings, why make it touch sensitive then?

Also the fact is, the rumors from sources talk about a 6´´ screen touch sensitive, so we shouldn´t leave it out of considereation when we debate the possible uses.

Edit: Also to the people im engaged in conversation take in mind i like to edit previous posts when answering to not clog the topic more than it already is :D

farnham said:

also did you ask every wii user on the planet if they are playing it or not ? probably not.
All 1st party games. Nintendo isn't releasing another class of games so soon after. Regarding their userbase not playing and buying software please tell me you seriously are not that ignorant. Please. The Wii sold the least amount in March. Dropping the Wii to $99 isnt going to change the fact that the Wii is as good as dead. The Wii was never about the 3rd parties. If the successor is about getting 3rd party support Nintendo can't wait for the other 2 to put out their system and compete. They need a year head start.

Eteric Rice said:

I think we are far from diminishing returns. There's ton's of graphic effects thats still not being done in real time. But i don't think we can be wowed again like we were when we saw mario64. That shit was game changing.

Graphics Horse said:
We're ageing :(

So your saying if i tell my little brother that NextGen consoles are coming next year he'll say "about time!" ?

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom