• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's a clue in the codename for the device, "Cafe". What does a cafe environment imply? It implies an environment of conviviality, meeting, sharing, conversing with friends over a cup of overpriced coffee or food. The word should be warm and inviting and invoke the sort of feeling you'd get from a cafe environment. The social aspects of the system may be the new focus and if it is, the name would reflect that sentiment. Thus, I submit my own prediction:

Linc

The word implies reaching out and touching somebody else in your social network, connecting with them. It's slightly misspelt also, so it can be trademarked with impunity (assuming the name isn't already taken). Anyway, I'm predicting this, or something like it. I retain the right to be completely wrong, however.

EDIT: The rendering "Linq" would also work, while being a more pleasing shape.

antonz

ShockingAlberto said:
Is the Cafe codename still coming from that one French site?
thats who claims it yeah. Oddly they havent had any updates yet today. figured the start of the week theyd have something else to tease or speculate on so Gaming sites can act stupid and quote speculation as fact

Zeal

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I was actually gonna say this!

A little off topic but I was just browsing this gallery and now I can't wait to see what games look like on this system.
http://cid-ae3b5583d7854eab.photos.live.com/play.aspx/Metroid Other M/Metroid Other M 136.jpg?ref=2
I mean, look at that, I don't care what powers the games, if Next Gen Metroid looks even better than that I'm sold.
What's even better is next-gen game assets will be developed to run at these resolutions, as opposed to sub-HD textures being upscaled to 1080p. This alone will make games look infintely more detailed.

CO_Andy

For as much shat Nintendo got about the Gamecube controller, they already had the perfect layout for the Wii remote.

Take away the middle and you have a perfect nunchuk + remote combo. The button layout especially is ideal, and a true shame it had to be sacrificed to reach a wider audience (in return we get the displeasure of stretching out for the -/+/1/2 buttons).

If we get a transformable controller i'd like to see the cube controller revisited.

gamecubecontrollerqf8.jpg

donny2112

Codename hasn't ever had anything to do with the real name before, to my knowledge.

Nintendo Ultra = N64
Dolphin = GameCube
Atlantis = GBA
Nitro = portable N64 = NDS
Revolution = Wii

I think someone said Century was 3DS's code name?

It has had to do with its desired goal, though.

Nintendo Ultra - System after Super NES/Famicom
Dolphin/Atlantis - Link GBA/GCN to probably help GCN
Revolution - Shake up the gaming world

As such, Cafe is probably related to its goal (e.g. connecting in a relaxed environment (Wii Relax/Vitality Sensor!)), but not its final name. Super Wii seems the most-straightforward. Keeps people from thinking it's just a Wii revision, it doesn't lose the mainstream brand awareness that Wii has, and it follows the Super NES/Famicom naming model. That, of course, means it probably won't be named Super Wii, but it'll still probably have Wii in its final name. :p

Edit:
On the camera/video screen thing, modelling the 3DS AR system with it just seems more and more likely. DS was supposed to be a precursor to see if Wii would fly. AR is supposed to be one of the main draws with 3DS, so an improved version with more uses seems a natural extension for the Wii 2/whatever.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
CO_Andy said:
For as much shat Nintendo got about the Gamecube controller, they already had the perfect layout for the Wii remote.

Take away the middle and you have a perfect nunchuk + remote combo. The button layout especially is ideal, and a true shame it had to be sacrificed to reach a wider audience (in return we get the displeasure of stretching out for the -/+/1/2 buttons).

If we get a transformable controller i'd like to see the cube controller revisited.

gamecubecontrollerqf8.jpg
Yup, love that controller. I like how the c-stick is different than the main joystick. And the plush triggers are so very ergonomic (the click was sadly underused). Would like to see them return to that as a base for their Wii2 traditional controller. I think the bean-shaped buttons could be a lot less stiff and I think they could get away with adding another small button under the A, for the thumb's knuckle joint.

Log4Girlz

donny2112 said:
Codename hasn't ever had anything to do with the real name before, to my knowledge.

Nintendo Ultra = N64
Dolphin = GameCube
Atlantis = GBA
Revolution = Wii

As such, Cafe is probably related to its goal (e.g. connecting in a relaxed environment (Wii Relax/Vitality Sensor!)), but not its final name. Super Wii seems the most-straightforward. Keeps people from thinking it's just a Wii revision, it doesn't lose the mainstream brand awareness that Wii has, and it follows the Super NES/Famicom naming model. That, of course, means it probably won't be named Super Wii, but it'll still probably have Wii in its final name. :p

Wasn't the code-name for the n64 project reality?

donny2112 said:

Nintendo Ultra = N64
Dolphin = GameCube
Atlantis = GBA
Revolution = Wii

Nintendo 64 was Project Reality. Ultra 64 was supposed to be the actual name for a while.

Edit: Beaten

Zeliard

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I think there's a clue in the codename for the device, "Cafe". What does a cafe environment imply? It implies an environment of conviviality, meeting, sharing, conversing with friends over a cup of overpriced coffee or food. The word should be warm and inviting and invoke the sort of feeling you'd get from a cafe environment. The social aspects of the system may be the new focus and if it is, the name would reflect that sentiment. Thus, I submit my own prediction:

Linc

The word implies reaching out and touching somebody else in your social network, connecting with them. It's slightly misspelt also, so it can be trademarked with impunity (assuming the name isn't already taken). Anyway, I'm predicting this, or something like it. I retain the right to be completely wrong, however.

EDIT: The rendering "Linq" would also work, while being a more pleasing shape.
Is it supposed to be sound identical to the name of a popular Nintendo protagonist?

donny2112

Log4Girlz said:
Wasn't the code-name for the n64 project reality?

Happen to have an N64 controller handy. :p

Controller = NUS-006 = Nintendo Ultra System

Edit:
Also have a Super Scope handy, and that's an SNS-013 (SNS = Super Nintendo System). No imagination. :lol

Edit2:
http://www.n-sider.com/hardwareview.php?hardwareid=7

NUS = Nintendo Ultra Sixty-four
Project Reality = code name

GCN, GBA, NDS, WII, and 3DS all used their code names in the abbreviation. Therefore, either Nintendo Ultra Sixty-four was also a code name, or that practice began with the GBA.

D-Pad

I agree on the Linq shape. So many ways to get clever with the L and (lowercase) q.

Log4Girlz said:
The last time Iwata said WOW..just look at the graphics their machine put out...fuck the word WOW.

We just need to update the word WOW then:

WaZOW!

Medalion

Banned
donny2112 said:
Happen to have an N64 controller handy. :p

Controller = NUS-006 = Nintendo Ultra System

Edit:
Also have a Super Scope handy, and that's an SNS-013 (SNS = Super Nintendo System). No imagination. :lol
Project Reality was the project name for the Ultra 64, soon to be called Nintendo 64
It was changed relatively late to the Nintendo 64 as we know it now but for a long time it was to be Ultra 64 as the official name of the system

donny2112

Medalion said:
Project Reality was the project name for the Ultra 64, soon to be called Nintendo 64
It was changed relatively late to the Nintendo 64 as we know it now but for a long time it was to be Ultra 64 as the official name of the system
donny2112 said:
http://www.n-sider.com/hardwareview.php?hardwareid=7

NUS = Nintendo Ultra Sixty-four
Project Reality = code name

GCN, GBA, NDS, WII, and 3DS all used their code names in the abbreviation. Therefore, either Nintendo Ultra Sixty-four was also a code name, or that practice began with the GBA.

From above. Maybe the practice just started with GBA? Would explain Super Nintendo's lack of imagination in the abbreviation. :lol

maeda

Why is no one speculating on who from within Nintendo is making games for the machine. I mean we can pretty much assume that the second Retro project is a bigger scope Cafe game. Now the question is if Tokyo EAD has 3 teams now, one making smaller scope games, the other Mario 3DS and the last starting up Mario Cafe. What about the rest of the Zelda team, are they making a 3DS or a Cafe game? Hmmm... It seems that most teams are making 3DS games at this point in time. Where will Nintendo get the resources necessary to support 2 young platforms?

maeda said:
Why is no one speculating on who from within Nintendo is making games for the machine. I mean we can pretty much assume that the second Retro project is a bigger scope Cafe game. Now the question is if Tokyo EAD has 3 teams now, one making smaller scope games, the other Mario 3DS and the last starting up Mario Cafe. What about the rest of the Zelda team, are they making a 3DS or a Cafe game? Hmmm... It seems that most teams are making 3DS games at this point in time. Where will Nintendo get the resources necessary to support 2 young platforms?

They should launch with a Mario game. It's been a while since they've done that and by 2012, it'll have been a while since we've gotten a mainline sequel.

Will guarantee strong sales out of the gate even if they price the sucker at $350, which I don't think is out of the question when you take into account the 3DS price.

donny2112

maeda said:
It seems that most teams are making 3DS games at this point in time.

Where do you get that idea from? Ocarina of Time was outsourced. Ocarina of Time. Haven't seen much evidence for the main teams working on 3DS except for one of EAD Tokyo's teams and maybe the Mario Kart team.

antonz

donny2112 said:
Where do you get that idea from? Ocarina of Time was outsourced. Ocarina of Time. Haven't seen much evidence for the main teams working on 3DS except for one of EAD Tokyo's teams and maybe the Mario Kart team.

Yep a good chunk of 3DS games people linked to Internal teams turned out to not be Nintendo done at all.

I think its likely the teams people assumed are 3DS are split between 3DS and Wii2

donny2112

Fourth Storm said:
even if they price the sucker at $350, which I don't think is out of the question when you take into account the 3DS price.

3DS's price (and lack of demo stations) is killing it, though. Maybe $350 with a pack-in game, but I'm thinking $299 (maybe even still with a pack-in or equivalent in scope to AR cards) myself.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
$299 needs to be the limit. I mean, if the specs are balls out crazy then I guess I wouldn't mind $350-400, but the precedent before the Wii was all Nintendo consoles launch at $199... Wii bumped that up, and this will probably bump it up too.

donny2112 said:
3DS's price (and lack of demo stations) is killing it, though. Maybe $350 with a pack-in game, but I'm thinking $299 (maybe even still with a pack-in or equivalent in scope to AR cards) myself.

I'm pretty sure it's established that the 3DS is selling well and this is without any killer app.

And I'm counting on the specs being pretty good. If they are merely Xbox 360 level, then I agree, 299 limit.

donny2112 said:

3DS is struggling because of a lack of compelling software. I'm sure price is an issue but i think it would still be moving like hotcakes if it actually had a few big nintendo games on it.

Log4Girlz

donny2112 said:

Well, how the 3DS does over the holiday at the $250 pricepoint will determine the Wii2's. If it does well, we should expect $350.

maeda

donny2112 said:
Wasn't there a breakdown of Nintendo's internal teams by known projects? Weren't most teams making 3DS games? I mean Mario Kart team, IS, a part of Tokyo EAD. Who else? That is why i am asking the question. I am not sure about what's going on at Nintendo's HQ in terms of sw development and there seem to be people around here a little bit more in the known than i am. I also accounted for the "free" staff at Zelda team. I even asked what would they more probably do, a 3DS or Cafe game?

donny2112 said:
From above. Maybe the practice just started with GBA? Would explain Super Nintendo's lack of imagination in the abbreviation. :lol
It must have, because Ultra 64 was the system's original name, not a code name.

Nintendo-64-1.jpg

Then again, doesn't the original Game Boy use DMG (aka: Dot Matrix Game) for it's serials?

wsippel

Banned
There's one thing that makes the R700 rumor believable: Nintendo recently stated once again that they absolutely love fixed function hardware for it's highly predictable performance. AMD doesn't offer any fixed function hardware anymore, and developing such a thing takes a while. It's quite possible that they decided to use a R700 GPU as a base, then spent a few years to modify it, developing and adding some fixed function units.

maeda said:
Wasn't there a breakdown of Nintendo's internal teams by known projects? Weren't most teams making 3DS games? I mean Mario Kart team, IS, a part of Tokyo EAD. Who else? That is why i am asking the question. I am not sure about what's going on at Nintendo's HQ in terms of sw development and there seem to be people around here a little bit more in the known than i am. I also accounted for the "free" staff at Zelda team. I even asked what would they more probably do, a 3DS or Cafe game?
Some games that were thought to be internally done have ended up being outsourced (Pilotwings Resort by Monster Games) or co-developed with outside studios (Steel Diver with EAD5 & Vitei, Ocarina of Time 3D with EAD3 & Grezzo Games). So far Nintendogs + Cats (EAD1) is the only entirely home grown effort so far confirmed.

If I had to guess, Mario Kart (EAD1), Animal Crossing (EAD2) and Super Mario (EAD Tokyo) are probably done entirely internally as well, while Star Fox 64 3D (EAD?) and maybe Kid Icarus Uprising (Project Sora) likely have outside studios helping out. Intelligent Systems is doing Paper Mario and Brownie Brown is doing Fantasy Life.

Mistle

CO_Andy said:
How anybody can hate on the GC control is beyond me. I acknowledge the bad d-pad, but otherwise it just feels so perfect.

I'd love to see how Nintendo would tackle the traditional controller now days.

conman

Mistle said:
How anybody can hate on the GC control is beyond me. I acknowledge the bad d-pad, but otherwise it just feels so perfect.
I think most of the haters must not have spent much time with the GC controller. It is still the controller by which I judge all others. Sure, the triggers are a bit stiff (and it's "missing" a trigger button), but the layout was damn-near perfect and fit better in my hands than anything before or since.

I also think it's funny how people can praise the 360 controller so much, but not acknowledge how much of the design (especially, the bumpers and asymmetrical sticks) comes straight from the GC design. But the 360 controller still doesn't form fit my hands the way the GC controller does. And the shapes of the face buttons were a brilliant idea--especially for easily confused multi-console owners like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom