• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendawg

Neo Member
Neiteio said:
Well, I for one cannot wait for Nintendo's E3 conference where they reveal the real name as Kafei, and the console is shaped like the Majora's Mask character, and GTA5, MGS5, FFXV, Half-Life 3 and Diablo 3 are all available at launch, with free Steam copies where applicable. Should be fun.

You said that so boldly...
I'm quoting you on this, and I won't forget it. If this doesn't happen, I'm going after you...

Neiteio

BowieZ said:
WiiSoXited
image.php

In da haus.

antonz

Andrex said:
I think that might be true, even though Nintendo has stuck by fixed shaders all this time... It made sense on 3DS to maybe make development a little easier and possibly to save on battery life (I think?), but you're right, if they want to do this right... programmable shaders should be there.
Battery life is exactly why they jumped from Nvidia solution for 3DS. Tegra II has been a disaster for Nvidia and in no way performing to the kind of hype they were making. Nintendo jumped ship because PICA does pretty much all Nvidia would have done while using a hell of alot less power.

99% sure all the leaks about 3DS and Tegra was Nvidia trying to prop up stock values etc by hinting at a huge partnership with Nintendo.

Neiteio

Nintendawg said:
You said that so boldly...
I'm quoting you on this, and I won't forget it. If this doesn't happen, I'm going after you...
Ha, now watch as it inexplicably comes true. The disc drive will even be wedged vertically between Kafei's buttocks for all you pedobears out there...

Doorman

As far as the name goes, I kind of hope that they actually avoid going with something like Super Wii or WiiHD. I can't entirely put my finger on it but something about those just strikes me as being too plain. Why does "HD" have to be part of the name, anyway? Neither competitor used it and at this point it sounds like you're trying to advertise a feature that you're several years behind on implementing. I don't know that saying "Hey, we're also in HD now" is going to create that much of a buzz.

Pyrokai said:
I'm wondering about whether the system can sell itself to the hardcore market if all it receives are 360 ports with the Cafe enhancements, however ground-breaking they may be. Couple that with a looming PS4 and 720, and we may have another Dreamcast here. What do you think? Do you think they can differentiate themselves from the competition in a way that also coaxes over the hardcore market they lost with Wii?
Whether or not it succeeds with the hardcore market will probably depend a ton on whether or not it receives multiplatform games, and that depends on the system being powerful enough to run said games, and an environment where third parties understand the system's audience and who they're trying to sell to.

apana

BowieZ said:
That's why you aren't working for Nintendo's R&D or marketing departments.

So are you saying you are perfectly fine with just a classic controller and a touchscreen in the middle?

apana

Wii 2 makes the most sense. Wii Touch is the actual best name but I'm not sure if Apple would sue.

Edit: Super Wii is lame but Wii is also a stronger brand than Nintendo so you cant get rid of it.

heavyness

I haven't gone through all 212 pages, but I'm calling an old school ADD-ON. Yeap, the new system is a $150 add-on to the existing Wii that will give you HD graphics and a HDD. Touch screen pad will work with both systems and so with the existing Wiimotes. Of course, you could pay the for the new system that has everything bundled into one box.

WiiHD (pronounced Wide)

Neiteio

Maybe:

- Wii Plus
- Wii+
- Wii Nu
- Wii DX

Or perhaps something suggesting touch, or connectivity, two apparent Cafe highlights. I don't think they'll put HD in the title for the previously mentioned reason they'd be advertising a feature they're late to the market in implementing. Then again, didn't hurt Sony and Microsoft when they pimped motion control for their pseudo-reboots (Kinect and Move)...

Either way, I'd say it's a safe bet they will keep the Wii name. It's just far, far too valuable. Imagine all the socialites and senior citizens going, "There's a new Wii out?" Nintendo wants that sort of fervor again.

corn_fest

heavyness said:
I haven't gone through all 212 pages, but I'm calling an old school ADD-ON. Yeap, the new system is a $150 add-on to the existing Wii that will give you HD graphics and a HDD. Touch screen pad will work with both systems and so with the existing Wiimotes. Of course, you could pay the for the new system that has everything bundled into one box.

WiiHD (pronounced Wide)
You do realize that the Wii can only be extended by 2 USB ports, correct?

apana

Neiteio said:
Maybe:

- Wii Plus
- Wii+
- Wii Nu
- Wii DX

Or perhaps something suggesting touch, or connectivity, two apparent Cafe highlights. I don't think they'll put HD in the title for the previously mentioned reason they'd be advertising a feature they're late to the market in implementing. Then again, didn't hurt Sony and Microsoft when they pimped motion control for their pseudo-reboots (Kinect and Move)...

Either way, I'd say it's a safe bet they will keep the Wii name. It's just far, far too valuable. Imagine all the socialites and senior citizens going, "There's a new Wii out?" Nintendo wants that sort of fervor again.

Nobody cares about HD. Wii Plus makes it sound like a revision. Wii Nu or DX, I don't know.

antonz

apana said:
Wii 2 makes the most sense. Wii Touch is the actual best name but I'm not sure if Apple would sue.

Edit: Super Wii is lame but Wii is also a stronger brand than Nintendo so you cant get rid of it.
Nintendo just won out in survey of top Video Game brand again. Early reports indicated anyways that Nintendo wants to kill off the Wii brand and reinvent itself again because the people they want to get besides the old folks hate the Wii with a passion more than Hitler hated the jews

apana

antonz said:
Nintendo just won out in survey of top Video Game brand again. Early reports indicated anyways that Nintendo wants to kill off the Wii brand and reinvent itself again because the people they want to get besides the old folks hate the Wii with a passion more than Hitler hated the jews

I thought surveys consistently showed that Wii and DS were thet strongest brands in gaming. Can you link me to it? Getting rid of the Wii name is a big risk if the gimmick isn't as incredible as the Wii and I don't see how it could be.

watershed

Banned
apana said:
Nobody cares about HD. Wii Plus makes it sound like a revision. Wii Nu or DX, I don't know.

Exactly my point. If its Wii HD or anything with the Wii + something people will think its just a revision or add on and casuals won't go for it. I think the name needs to signal a brand new proposition not an extension of the current one. Also in terms of the "hardcore audience" Wii anything is an immediate turn off.

heavyness said:

WiiHD (pronounced Wide)
This discussion has happened before.

It's old tired, and kind of retarded.

The correct answer is that an add-on could reuse the DVD drive, SD Card Slot, Controller, and Network interfaces. That's $30 worth of equipment in savings. Not worth it.

antonz

apana said:
I thought surveys consistently showed that Wii and DS were thet strongest brands in gaming. Can you link me to it? Getting rid of the Wii name is a big risk if the gimmick isn't as incredible as the Wii and I don't see how it could be.
2011 Harris Poll EquiTrend study
Finally, of the video-game console providers, Nintendo finished with a score of 69.8, as measured by Harris. Sony finished second with a score of 68.4, followed by Microsoft and its Xbox console.

Log4Girlz

BMF said:
This discussion has happened before.

It's old tired, and kind of retarded.

The correct answer is that an add-on could reuse the DVD drive, SD Card Slot, Controller, and Network interfaces. That's $30 worth of equipment in savings. Not worth it.

Yeah, old, tired. Now, Nintendo has played around with add-ons before, especially with the N64. I would honestly not mind in the least for them to plan for a RAM add-on again. It was kinda nice to anticipate a cheap upgrade to your system with the N64.

antonz

FullMetal said:
So I guess everyone here agrees the name should be New Nintendo. ;)
Honestly seeing how they are in the middle of most of their major franchises turning 25 they should go for some old school Nostalgia and Name it based on the NES

Zeal

Banned
I think nintendo knows the Wii name has become devisive, especially amongst the hardcore. Like it or not, the Wii name has become synanomous with casual. If reports about nintendo trying to recapture the hardcore market are true, I expect a total reinvention in the branding department.

I want something simple and powerful sounding.

apana

Zeal said:
I think nintendo knows the Wii name has become devisive, especially amongst the hardcore. Like it or not, the Wii name has become synanomous with casual. If reports about nintendo trying to recapture the hardcore market are true, I expect a total reinvention in the branding department.

I want something simple and powerful sounding.

Wii isn't divisive, that's only on the internet. Hardcore have abandoned it because there are no games that appeal to them on the platform. If Wii 2 launches with all the major third party games it can do a lot of repair on that front.

antonz

apana said:
That's only comparing the companies right? How do they compare the value of the Nintendo name to the Wii and DS names?
Yeah Im not sure if they have done the individual branding of products yet. This seems to be their Brand of the year polling.

Log4Girlz said:
Yeah, old, tired. Now, Nintendo has played around with add-ons before, especially with the N64. I would honestly not mind in the least for them to plan for a RAM add-on again. It was kinda nice to anticipate a cheap upgrade to your system with the N64.
Using the old system for spare parts I'm arguing against.

An anticipated add-on, I wouldn't argue against too much - a RAM pack or additional storage is about the limit though.

Alternative controllers are pretty OK too.

Log4Girlz

Man, considering what developers could do with another 512 MB or GIG of Ram in this generation...if either of the HD twins allowed for a Ram upgrade...they really could have lasted 10 years without a successor lol.

maeda

Andrex said:
I heard it uses OpenGL or OpenCL, and yeah with a lot of fixed functions built in. I wonder if they'll use programmable shaders with this thing, but I doubt it from Iwata's recent comments about the 3DS.
There is no fucking way it won't support programmable shaders. They had their reasons for not using those on 3DS, but with a console those reasons just don't make any sense.

Thoraxes

antonz said:
I don't think they'll reuse Wii again. That naming convention seems to be for their handhelds only... so far.
I have a feeling they'll try to make something short and snippy that is all-encompassing again.

D-Pad

Andrex said:
[Classic Controler Pro = ]Best controller of all-time?

Well it would be if it was stand-alone... and y/x were concave.

Also: if it had rumble.

I'll take CCPro for another generation. With rumble. <3

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
Also: if it had rumble.

I'll take CCPro for another generation. With rumble. <3

Oh yeah, that too.

CCPro + Wireless + Rumble + Concave Y and X = best controller ever and it can not be beaten ever.

pakkit

Banned
I think we're going to get a rebranding for the console with a "Wii" line for the more casual entries.

"Wii," to the average Joe, is synonymous with local multiplayer motion gaming.

pakkit said:
I think we're going to get a rebranding for the console with a "Wii" line for the more casual entries.

"Wii," to the average Joe, is synonymous with local multiplayer motion gaming.

I wonder if this is Nintendo taking a more "Apple" (or really, just general consumer electronics other than videogame) approach where they can have and support multiple devices on the market, just like there's an iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV and Mac products on the market, with no direct line of succession. Keep supporting the Wii and DS with 3DS and Cafe out there, and let the consumer dictate where the market is.

Poyunch

Ninja Scooter said:
I wonder if this is Nintendo taking a more "Apple" (or really, just general consumer electronics other than videogame) approach where they can have and support multiple devices on the market, just like there's an iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV and Mac products on the market, with no direct line of succession. Keep supporting the Wii and DS with 3DS and Cafe out there, and let the consumer dictate where the market is.
That would be hard to support since most developers aren't going to support the Wii when there are more powerful consoles out there. Most devs do this now and the Cafe isn't even out yet. Nintendo moves really slow in development as is and they might be spread too thin having to support three consoles (the DS is pretty much dead to Nintendo now).

evangd007

Neiteio said:
Maybe:

- Wii Plus
- Wii+
- Wii Nu
- Wii DX

Nintendo trademarked Power Wii awhile back, and I like that one, solely so they can use the "Now you're playing with power!" tagline again.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How about...

Wii12

?

Or...

Wiigen

Or...

WiiAR

Or...

WiiVR

Or...

WiiGo

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Gahiggidy said:
It was a weak way of referring to the 2012 release date, i.e.Windows 98.
Ah.

But yeah, they won't do that.
It would just remind people of the date of the technology as they years go by.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wii 24/7

Or...

Wii 365

^^^
Might accurately describe its power boost over Xbox 360.
laugh2.gif

sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom