• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
hokahey said:
Really? Why not? That would be the first thing they'd determine when they started giving out dev kits.

What? No it wouldn't! :lol

They'd give very very VERY rough estimates for a release. When the devkits were handed out, they probably said "by the end of 2012." They're probably a bit more confident now and are aiming for a summer 2012 release. E3 might make them believe an early 2012 release is viable.

neptunes

Maxrpg said:
If Nintendo even manages to make GTAV the definitive version on N6 they will have changed in people's eyes about how they wanted to capture the hardcore. Imagine saying to people "The best version of GTA is on the N6!" It will make their mind explode.
You can't change perception with ONE game, it takes years of re branding your image for that to happen. I think we as gamers are hoping Nintendo would make the right moves that would appeal to US as hardcore gamers. This generation proved that they don't have to cater to one specific market to truly succeed. All of these rumors seem reminiscent of the GameCube era, when Nintendo was trying to capture the same market MS and Sony were after, and not exactly what made them successful with the Wii and DS.

Ashodin

neptunes said:
You can't change perception with ONE game, it takes years of re branding your image for that to happen. I think we as gamers are hoping Nintendo would make the right moves that would appeal to US as hardcore gamers. This generation proved that they don't have to cater to one specific market to truly succeed. All of these rumors seem reminiscent of the GameCube era, when Nintendo was trying to capture the same market MS and Sony were after, and not exactly what made them successful with the Wii and DS.
But it would start the avalanche. A single strong hardcore title would bolster support incredibly much more than "promises" of working with third parties. Put up or Shut up so to speak.

neptunes said:

You can't change perception with one game. But if GTA5 does really well, other devs will take notice and throw their weight behind it.

GTA/Rockstar rumor was spread before the Wii was revealed as well... this is nothing new. Probably none of these rumors are true.

If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't even put out another console for the next 3-5 years. They really just need to make some good games for it, i.e., games the market wants to play. They can start with Making a proper, full-budget 2D Mario... That will sell another 10 million Wiis. STOP making 3D Mario, the market overwhelmingly does not want that type of game - sales prove that but Nintendo wants to force it on people with Tutorial DVDs. Zelda has become lackluster and sappy... Go back to the original Zelda formula (drop the puzzle-quests and NPC interaction crap) that started the craze (Action/Adventure). Add some new innovative IPs... does anyone remember all the crazy games that came out for the NES? Much more interesting, fun, and social than games today... but they weren't labeled "casual".

Companies like Squenix need to take a break on this FF garbage they've been rolling out and go back to their roots... all these game companies lost their magic as the transition from graphic-intensive games and 3D evolved - they are too focused on flashy cut-scenes and not focused on making great games. Mass-market games don't have to be WiiSports. SMB was a mass-market game but "hardcore" as well, so was the original Zelda.

There is no such thing as casual/hardcore games, there are good games and bad games, its just that most games today are crap since developers lost focus. Game-making is a lost art.

If Nintendo would just go back to its arcade roots, they could clean house with Wii for a long time... at least another 3 years. There is no need for all this better than PS3/Xbox nonsense. Its all about the games. These other companies aren't even making money this generation, that isn't going to change with a system with better graphics. They need to learn the lesson of loosing their asses on their highly marketed, over-budgeted, paid-off reviewed junk and learn how to make a great game with limited resources, both financially and graphically - then they can move on to bigger and better.

Most can't even afford nor wants to buy a completely new console.

Ridleyscott said:
GTA/Rockstar rumor was spread before the Wii was revealed as well... this is nothing new. Probably none of these rumors are true.

If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't even put out another console for the next 3-5 years. They really just need to make some good games for it, i.e., games the market wants to play. They can start with Making a proper, full-budget 2D Mario... That will sell another 10 million Wiis. STOP making 3D Mario, the market overwhelmingly does not want that type of game - sales prove that. Zelda has become lackluster and sappy... Go back to the original Zelda formula (drop the puzzle-quests and NPC interaction crap) that started the craze (Action/Adventure). Add some new innovative IPs... does anyone remember all the crazy games that came out for the NES? Much more interesting, fun, and social than games today... but they weren't labeled "casual".

Companies like Squenix need to take a break on this FF garbage they've been rolling out and go back to their roots... all these game companies lost their magic as the transition from graphic-intensive games and 3D evolved - they are too focused on flashy cut-scenes and not focused on making great games. Mass-market games don't have to be WiiSports. SMB was a mass-market game but "hardcore" as well, so was the original Zelda.

There is no such thing as casual/hardcore games, there are good games and bad games, its just that most games today are crap since developers lost focus. Game-making is a lost art.

If Nintendo would just go back to its arcade roots, they could clean house with Wii for a long time... at least another 3 years. There is no need for all this better than PS3/Xbox nonsense. Its all about the games. These other companies aren't even making money this generation, that isn't going to change with a system with better graphics. They need to learn the lesson of loosing their asses on their highly marketed, over-budgeted, paid-off reviewed junk and learn how to make a great game with limited resources, both financially and graphically - then they can move on to bigger and better.

The problem is, Nintendo can't support the Wii for 3-5 more years.
No company could.
Your idea is just lunacy...
Also, SCREW YOU for saying no more Mario 3D. Those games sell millions.
You're horrible at running Nintendo.

Pyrokai

Ridleyscott said:

If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't even put out another console for the next 3-5 years. They really just need to make some good games for it, i.e., games the market wants to play. They can start with Making a proper, full-budget 2D Mario... That will sell another 10 million Wiis. STOP making 3D Mario, the market overwhelmingly does not want that type of game - sales prove that but Nintendo wants to force it on people with Tutorial DVDs. Zelda has become lackluster and sappy... Go back to the original Zelda formula (drop the puzzle-quests and NPC interaction crap) that started the craze (Action/Adventure). Add some new innovative IPs... does anyone remember all the crazy games that came out for the NES? Much more interesting, fun, and social than games today... but they weren't labeled "casual".

There is so much wrong with this statement.

Ridleyscott said:

I can honestly say that I hate this entire post.

neptunes said:

While you can't change public perception with one game, having GTA at launch would be HUGE. If people saw that that was a launch game for the system, it would be an indicator that Nintendo will be getting other high profile multiplatform games like the COD's, the real versions of Madden, and other dudebro games. And if they could get it as a timed exclusive, for even a month, it would get a lot of attention.

A.KU.MU

Banned
I was thinking about the code name Project Café.

Café (european definition) = a social gathering place where you drink coffee and talk with your friend(s).

"Wii 2" = a social console with better online support and voice chat?

devildog820 said:
Was the Wii revealed at TGS the year before it came out? Devs need basically a year to produce a launch title. Somewhat less if the architecture is familiar.
I'm sure developers have knowledge of Project Café way before we do.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ridleyscott said:
STOP making 3D Mario, the market overwhelmingly does not want that type of game - sales prove that but Nintendo wants to force it on people with Tutorial DVDs.

KuGsj.gif
Because 9 million for SMG1 and 6.15 million for SMG2 is, you know, chump change.

Galang

Banned
A.KU.MU said:

Café (european definition) = a social gathering place where you drink coffee and talk with your friend(s).

Already mentioned quite a bit, hopefully it turns out to be true :)

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Ridleyscott said:

I love when people share opinions on what they think companies should do, but the way you write, you really believe this is truth. I definitely understand what you are saying, but Nintendo develops a wide variety of games for all types of consumers. I think they should continue as they are with 3D Mario AND 2D Mario. Or how about 2D DK, or Kirby.

As for Zelda, I would also like to see another 2D version, but there is no way to predict that it will sell a ton. It could be perceived as lazy and "old." You never know. I'll leave that job to Nintendo's highly skilled market professionals.

AzureJericho said:
Holy crap, this thread is a rollercoaster going from standard strength hype to JESUS FUCK MY FACE IS MELTING HYPE.

The last few pages from the fake impressions, to resolving "aww, well something good's bound to leak", to the Gamekyo quote on Rockstar and 01net upping their thoughts on the system's potential and then all the wack stuff on the controller is just too much for me. :lol

Between this thread, the new Kenshin anime, and Sonic Generations, I predict a lot more hype time on GAF. And nowhere gets hype like GAF does.
kenshin20O_O.jpg

Who the what now?!?!?!?

M74

Ridleyscott said:

Joke post? I can't even begin to detail all the different ways this post is incorrect.

Ashodin

Ridleyscott said:

Wow. You win worst post of the thread award.

Actually let me pick apart your comments for a sec.

Not releasing another console? That would send them under. A full proper 2d mario? They already made that buddy, Super Mario Bros Wii. Stop making 3d Mario is just about the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard.

You sound like you have an NES fetish. "Companies like Square Enix need to go back to their roots" yet you denounce them going to FF. FF -is- their roots.

Is it all about the games, or is it about the potential for games? I think the latter has merit.

JCRedeems

Banned
Why is there so much excitement over the next Wii when many of you slammed the Wii for the last 5 years with insults such as the generic "it's collecting dust" or "Nintendo needs to make new IPs" digs? Or are you guys excited about any new platform regardless of the company?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious.

Pyrokai

A.KU.MU said:

I've honestly been thinking about this and the idea people have been throwing around about a "Cafe" and creating a virtual environment for people to meet and play games and communicate through video chat and/or other means. The more I think about it, the more I don't think I'm crazy when I can picture Nintendo at E3 saying something like "We've been interested in a more aggressive online for quite some time now, but we just couldn't figure out a way to make it an intimate, exciting environment that goes deeper than the text and voice you're used to......until now. THIS is how WE imagine online SHOULD be!" [unveils Cafe]

JCRedeems said:
Why is there so much excitement over the next Wii when many of you slammed the Wii for the last 5 years with insults such as the generic "it's collecting dust" or "Nintendo needs to make new IPs" digs? Or are you guys excited about any new platform regardless of the company?

I love my Wii.
But new hardware (especially from crazy Nintendo) is always exciting.

hokahey

DeathbyVolcano said:
What? No it wouldn't! :lol

They'd give very very VERY rough estimates for a release. When the devkits were handed out, they probably said "by the end of 2012." They're probably a bit more confident now and are aiming for a summer 2012 release. E3 might make them believe an early 2012 release is viable.

Nope. They'd give them a target month.

Nintendo can support the Wii, they just don't want to. They want to make puzzle-quest Zelda and Mario Star Finder. 3D Mario sold millions but not 22 million like both NSMB.

NSMB Wii was the sole reason Wii started picking-up steam after the sales slump. Its all about the games not the console.

Not releasing another console? That would send them under. A full proper 2d mario? They already made that buddy, Super Mario Bros Wii. Stop making 3d Mario is just about the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard.

NSMB Wii was an awesome game but a half-ditch effort. they didn't want to make that game but did because of sales. It was same-old Mario stuff recycled, not new 2D ideas and content.

You sound like you have an NES fetish. "Companies like Square Enix need to go back to their roots" yet you denounce them going to FF. FF -is- their roots.
FF started loosing its magic at around 8 and sales reflect that.
Or how about 2D DK, or Kirby.

That would be nice... 2DK has done relatively well even though there was a lot of "scripted" gameplay... most people don't like "scripted" gameplay.

How about a real Kirby game and not a game that gets Kirby slapped onto it for name recognition. Why does Nintendo try to trick consumers into buying games with mascots rather than design new characters for new types of gameplay? Recognition isn't a valid answer, since no one recognized Mario or DK when they first came out in the 80's... it was the gameplay alone that made those games sell.

Ridleyscott said:
Nintendo can support the Wii, they just don't want to. They want to make puzzle-quest Zelda and Mario Star Finder. 3D Mario sold millions but not 22 million like both NSMB.

NSMB Wii was the sole reason Wii started picking-up steam after the sales slump. Its all about the games not the console.

the many versions of facepalm.jpg

JCRedeems said:

A) the same people who are excited maybe aren't those people who say shit like that, i personally love my Wii and the games that have came out on it in the past 5 years.

B) people while disliking wii, would love to see a new nintendo console thats in HD to play first party nintendo games on.

C) the last thing you said new gen talk just gets people hyped yo

EDarkness

I don't think GTA 5 will be exclusive for the N6, but I do think it will get a version. If the N6 ends up being more powerful than the 360/PS3 and is easy to work on, then simply getting a port of GTA 5 would be huge. Would be the first time a full fledged console version of GTA has hit any of their systems, and if it wasn't some shoddy port it would help bring over the "core" guys in the beginning. It'd be a hit of things to come, as opposed to the Wii which couldn't get anything substantial early in it's life.

ryan-ts

Ridleyscott said:

NSMB Wii was an awesome game but a half-ditch effort. they didn't want to make that game but did because of sales. It was same-old Mario stuff recycled, not new 2D ideas and content.

FF started loosing its magic at around 8 and sales reflect that.

You should stick to your movies.

Stylo

A.KU.MU said:

Surely things went "swimmingly" with the Gamecube.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
How substantial is just getting Rockstar, though? All of their games are pretty much in the same genre, with L.A. Noire being the first game of theirs that I personally am interested in.

It'd be like the Gamecube getting Resident Evil games, but worse, because there's no exclusivity attached to it. Nintendo either needs a new IP with broad appeal to the teenage crowd, or they'll need to get actual 3rd party exclusives to really kick off the console right.

Azure J

Ridleyscott said:

[Juggernaut]Whatindafuckk?[/Juggernaut]

4 player jump in jump out co-op gameplay, level design that was an order of magnitude better than the last 2D Mario effort, the introduction of Super Guide for softening the blow for newbies and all that gets you is a "recycled same old moniker". Jeez.

Edit: DK scripted? Hooooookay...

antonz

Joey Fox said:
How substantial is just getting Rockstar, though? All of their games are pretty much in the same genre, with L.A. Noire being the first game of theirs that I personally am interested in.

It'd be like the Gamecube getting Resident Evil games, but worse, because there's no exclusivity attached to it. Nintendo either needs a new IP with broad appeal to the teenage crowd, or they'll need to get actual 3rd party exclusives to really kick off the console right.
A Nintendo home console has never had GTA so it would be a big win in that sense. If it is a Launch window title. The hardcore people buying brand new Wii2 are very likely to buy GTA5 for the Wii2 than another console.

Its the little snowball at the top of the mountain that can begin rolling down and perhaps grow very large

A.KU.MU

Banned
Pyrokai said:
I can picture Nintendo at E3 saying something like "We've been interested in a more aggressive online for quite some time now, but we just couldn't figure out a way to make it an intimate, exciting environment that goes deeper than the text and voice you're used to......until now. THIS is how WE imagine online SHOULD be!" [unveils Cafe]

My. Body. Is. Ready. For. E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom