• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseMath

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Still say the 6" screen is BS. I bet they forgot a comma!

6", touchscreen

Sounds better, right?

I hate achievements, hope Ninty doesn't jump on that bandwagon.
I bet they meant 6'.

What makes software sell anyway?

By generating content that many people can relate to (such as knock-offs of well-known stories, movies, etc.) and fun gameplay.
your posts are VERY similar to his and use the same language so you must just be a disciple then (meaning not quite as crazy but still off a bit)

He and I come from similar times, thus our perspectives are generally similar. I know you all don't like much of what he says, but I'm not here to troll.

Instro

brochiller said:
I just took this translation from the site.

"He described the machine as a power roughly equivalent to the Xbox 360. So naturally it displays high definition, but should not make graphics revolution. As the Wii before it, it should rather find themselves at odds with the technological future successors to the PS3 and Xbox 360, by providing at its output, graphics generation from 2005-2007."

http://www.01net.com/editorial/531636/toutes-premieres-fuites-sur-le-successeur-de-la-wii/

Theres a more recent article from them saying that the console is more powerful than the 360.

This one I believe: http://www.01net.com/editorial/5316...2-de-nintendo-aura-une-tablette-pour-manette/

As for an achievement system / Play Coins, etc...

Nintendo needs a system like that because HD gamers are used to earn those meaningless points and they won't pick up a multiplatform game for the N6 if they can pick up the same game on another system that gives them those points.

MisterHero

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Seriously, doing everything in just Smash Bros. Brawl is a pain in the ass, don't make every Nintendo game like that

let's not start about F-Zero GX either

Game-Biz said:
Going by that, they don't have specifics on specs, but from what their source says it's a system designed to "facilitate" ports. Suggesting that Nintendo is making the console just powerful enough to get multi platform software from PS3/360 systems, nothing more. So yeah, this is just coming from 01net, other websites' sources say differently it seems.

Anybody else think it seems very un-Nintendo-like for them to design a console's hardware just so games can easily be ported to it? This console generation is almost over, if they were to only put this on par with the 360, they will be in the exact same situation two years from now that they're currently in. Doesn't seem very forward thinking to me.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MisterHero said:
Seriously, doing everything in just Smash Bros. Brawl is a pain in the ass, don't make every Nintendo game like that

You don't have to do all that crap.

goomba

Banned
HisshouBuraiKen said:

6", touchscreen

Sounds better, right?

I reckon your onto something.

The Wiimote is 5.75 inches or about 14.5 cm long. So this new controller could just be a wiimote with a screen.

brochiller said:
Anybody else think it seems very un-Nintendo-like for them to design a console's hardware just so games can easily be ported to it? This console generation is almost over, if they were to only put this on par with the 360, they will be in the exact same situation two years from now that they're currently in. Doesn't seem very forward thinking to me.

If it's easy to port from 360 to N6, then that means the console is very easy to program for and work with, which is exactly what Nintendo wants and needs.

NewFresh

MisterHero said:

Doing EVERYTHING in most games to get all the achievements is supposed to be a challenge. I don't go after them, but sometimes it is nice for them to pop up saying "congrats you just did a 100x combo"

It also creates a user base that wants to stay on that particular console. Most people I know buy ps3 exclusives for ps3 and everything else for Xbox because of achievements

The way I see things ending up:

Late 2011, early 2012: Wii2 releases, is more powerful than the 360 and PS3
Late 2012 or mid 2013: PS4 and 720 release; more powerful than Wii2

BUT: the Wii2 would be more like the Dreamcast to the Microsoft/Sony's PS2. Not that much of a difference as with the Wii and 360/PS3.

Neiteio

Jive Turkey said:
You don't have to do all that crap.
Exactly. I'm not a fan of achievements, but I don't know why people would argue against their inclusion. It's another bullet point for those who enjoy them, and detracts nothing from those who don't. Including achievements is a win-win, really. Just include an option to disable the notifications if you don't want the immersion broken.

watershed

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
As for an achievement system / Play Coins, etc...

Nintendo needs a system like that because HD gamers are used to earn those meaningless points and they won't pick up a multiplatform game for the N6 if they can pick up the same game on another system that gives them those points.

I agree with this statement or at least the second part. If the same multi-platform game is on the ps3 and the N6 but the ps3 version has trophies but the N6 doesn't "hardcore gamers" will go with the ps3 version. Done. Achievements are a must if Nintendo truly wants the "hardcore crowd". Omitting them would be the kind of oversight that may seem small to Nintendo but have huge repercussions.

Ashodin

I'd be down for play coins if the game gives them to you the more you play motion games- another incentive. Play Coins have been already widely received as a good thing for the 3DS - more games in the future will use them for the platform to unlock cool things in their games, I believe. I enjoy earning them day to day and using them on various stuff on my system.

I really hope the eShop has playcoin-using downloadable titles. (fuckin need Find Mii 2: The Revengening).

DeathbyVolcano said:

BUT: the Wii2 would be more like the Dreamcast to the Microsoft/Sony's PS2. Not that much of a difference as with the Wii and 360/PS3.
I hope that's where the Dreamcast comparisons end.

artwalknoon said:
I agree with this statement or at least the second part. If the same multi-platform game is on the ps3 and the N6 but the ps3 version has trophies but the N6 doesn't "hardcore gamers" will go with the ps3 version. Done. Achievements are a must if Nintendo truly wants the "hardcore crowd". Omitting them would be the kind of oversight that may seem small to Nintendo but have huge repercussions.
and this is sad...true, but sad

BowieZ

Banned
Is it possible that Cafe may launch with power above 360 then a couple of years later come out with a revised model or expansion that boosts it well above PS480?

MisterHero said:

Stuff that matters (stages, characters) unlocks over time/after a set number of matches anyway.

Hey wait.

What's going on now?

I thought this was a Valve thread. Project Cafe sounds very Valve.

Heh, new Nintendo console thread. Always filled with crazy people. Like Boney.

Crazy little imp.

Who's this Ridley guy though?

Making a lot of sense to me in some very primal ways.

BowieZ said:
Is it possible that Cafe may launch with power above 360 then a couple of years later come out with a revised model or expansion that boosts it well above PS480?

That would be horrible...
They aren't Apple...

Thunder Monkey said:
Hey wait.

What's going on now?

I thought this was a Valve thread. Project Cafe sounds very Valve.

Heh, new Nintendo console thread. Always filled with crazy people. Like Boney.

Crazy little imp.

Who's this Ridley guy though?

Making a lot of sense to me in some very primal ways.

You obviously need some rest, Thunder.
>_>

HisshouBuraiKen said:

6", touchscreen

Sounds better, right?

Is not that I like achievements... but it is a selling point.

I bet that some 360 fans won't pick a N6 game even if it has better visuals, just because it won't have achievements.

MisterHero

Neiteio said:
Exactly. I'm not a fan of achievements, but I don't know why people would argue against their inclusion. It's another bullet point for those who enjoy them, and detracts nothing from those who don't. Including achievements is a win-win, really. Just include an option to disable the notifications if you don't want the immersion broken.
Smash Bros. Brawl makes both a terrible case for and against achievements

Against: "You don't have to do them"

For: "Achieving in Brawl gives you actual shit like a trophy, a sticker, a new mode, stage, music, etc, rather than just a stupid text quip"

and it's not really because I think achievements are stupid (which I do), but again like F-Zero GX, sometimes it gets too hard to get full enjoyment of a game

TUROK

BowieZ said:
It's possible, sure. Probable... Hell no.

watershed

Banned
BowieZ said:

I don't know about this. Part of the draw of developing on consoles vs. pc is that consoles are a stable platform. This would change that model. Although Nintendo did mess with the expansion pack for the N64...

BowieZ said:
DS -- their best selling console -- says diffrent.

What?
The DS NEVER got an upgrade that put it above the PSP.
All games released throughout the life of the DS (from Phat to i) could be played on all systems, except for the DSiWare.

Ashodin

BowieZ said:
You mean "expansion pack" ;)

AceBandage said:
If it's easy to port from 360 to N6, then that means the console is very easy to program for and work with, which is exactly what Nintendo wants and needs.

True, they just have to find a balance between having a machine that makes development easy and having one that is powerful enough to handle ports of the PS3/720. This is what I'd like to see from them anyway.

AceBandage said:
You obviously need some rest, Thunder.
>_>
I haven't had the internet in days man.

I could hear the electricity in the walls and had to destroy it leaving me with no way to type.

Well... I tried to type, but it was really dark and I don't think it worked.

I'm just saying this Ridley guy is touching me in profound ways.

bvJkV.jpg

Contrary to all the, let's say, function oriented concept drawings ;D and photoshops - here is an aesthetic one.

I hope you like it.

Thunder Monkey said:
I haven't had the internet in days man.

I could hear the electricity in the walls and had to destroy it leaving me with no way to type.

Well... I tried to type, but it was really dark and I don't think it worked.

I'm just saying this Ridley guy is touching me in profound ways.

I'd call the police.
:O

brochiller said:
True, they just have to find a balance between having a machine that makes development easy and having one that is powerful enough to handle ports of the PS3/720. This is what I'd like to see from them anyway.

n64.jpg

Foffy

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:

So it'll be all about Nintendo's first party games and conclude with them being a third party company?

watershed

Banned
which1spink said:
bvJkV.jpg

Contrary to all the, let's say, function oriented concept drawings ;D and photoshops - here is an aesthetic one.

I hope you like it.

It looks slick but to me its too much tablet not enough controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom