• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big One said:
GTAV would be a pretty big release. If the rumors about remote play are true, just imagine how well that would take off. Imagine just people playing the game on their tablet controllers streaming it straight from their console from miles away
Would that even be possible? If so, I can't imagine Nintendo making that feature free.

Big One said:
GTAV would be a pretty big release. If the rumors about remote play are true, just imagine how well that would take off. Imagine just people playing the game on their tablet controllers streaming it straight from their console from miles away

they still have 3dses to sell dude. I'd be surprised if this thing streams outside of 20 feet tops from your console.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Big One said:
I don't have to imagine it, because the PS3 already does that with PSP Remote Play, and it doesn't work that well at all with the inherent second to half-second lag.

That is, it works with slower paced games (puzzle/etc.), but a game like GTA V would be really bad.

NewFresh

Jive Turkey said:
Ha. It's just like the one time I got banned:

Banned phrase list comes out.
Jive Turkey doesn't get the memo.
Jive Turkey calls a stupid thread stupid.
Jive Turkey takes a two week vacation along with half the thread as the thread was indeed exceptionally stupid.

I've posted so many questionable/borderline posts in my years here and that is what ultimately did me in.

I still have nightmares about being a junior and having to re-read my post about 10 times to make sure I wouldn't get banned only to erase it and just say nothing instead.
I still do that

Big One

Banned
chubigans said:
I don't have to imagine it, because the PS3 already does that with PSP Remote Play, and it doesn't work that well at all with the inherent second to half-second lag.
Isn't that only for a few games? I would imagine Wii2 would have this almost standardized for all games.

watershed

Banned
which1spink said:
But that's what I expect it to be. A tablet with two analog sticks, two analog triggers combined with the vitality sensor and two cameras (back for AR, front for ?). Games being streamed from the docking station and only playable on the tablet. That's it. Not a huge deal, eh? Well, I think it could be the most successful product for Nintendo.

I think Nintendo is pretty pissed about the fact that Apple and Google are eating up an ever more growing slice in the smartphone/handheld market. So I believe that they'll try everything to capture the tablet market right before it really becomes mainstream, not just to set a new trends (like the local OnLive-like streaming) but also to take a huge dump on their new competitor: Apple.

Nintendo is one of few companies that really has the potential to really change the whole tablet market forever by releasing a release a basic, relatively cheap, game-oriented, unique, mass market tablet. I'm sure they won't miss another trend like they did with smartphones.

Okay, I don't think this will happen but I'd like to hear more. Are you saying that if this were the case the actual console portion would only be for transmitting data and playing on the HD tv? So then the tablet is actually a full fledge tablet capable of running all the games on the go like at a cafe, not just streaming games from a couple yards away from the console? And this tablet would also be like the ipad with apps, movies etc?

Also would there then be a secondary controller set up that has all the buttons and d-pads? Or are you thinking Nintendo is aiming for another revolution with even simpler controls? Also in this case would the tablet be multi-touch?

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I still have nightmares about being a junior and having to re-read my post about 10 times to make sure I wouldn't get banned only to erase it and just say nothing instead.
I still do that

lol i was like that too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Big One said:
Isn't that only for a few games? I would imagine Wii2 would have this almost standardized for all games.
Maybe a dozen games, and all PS1 games. Some games work great (Bejeweled) other games are unplayable (Bionic Commando). I don't see how the Wii2 would improve live streaming over the internet...lag is just an inherent problem with the tech.

DoomXploder7 said:
they still have 3dses to sell dude. I'd be surprised if this thing streams outside of 20 feet tops from your console.

I think it may be something that just works on your home wireless network.

Here's a radical idea: What if Nintendo proposed to Rockstar the privilege of making GTA V the AAA core launch game (in place of Nintendo prepping Mario/Zelda/Smash for launch) in exchange for timed exclusivity/making Wii2 the lead platform.

Why would they even care? Nintendo is the only console manufacturer that made a profit this gen and a huge one at that. Nintendo also has the most sold games this gen, and the most profit made on games this gen.

Total game industry profits are like 80% Nintendo's.

They don't give a rats ass about getting third parties, they don't need third parties.

Ridleyscott said:
Why would they even care? Nintendo is the only console manufacturer that made a profit this gen and a huge one at that. Nintendo also has the most sold games this gen, and the most profit made on games this gen.

They don't give a rats ass about getting third parties, they don't need third parties.

You're what's wrong with ninthings these days.

M74

artwalknoon said:
I would love for this to be the case because then 3rd parties would be rushing to release their games on the N6, lead development platform or not. But that would depend on whether GTAV actually sells well also. If this did happen then I may finally get to live out my dream of owning only one console for a whole generation!
Here's the thing: Nintendo's war chest floweths over at this point. If they are serious about trying to win back the gaming core, what have they got to lose paying off a big house for a big title with exclusivity/timed exclusivity/exclusive content? Surely the risk versus reward on such a deal would be in Nintendo's favor.

Ridleyscott said:

No, they don't, but most gamers certainly do.

JCRedeems

Banned
Games that would guarantee at least 50 million+ consoles sold even without 3rd party support:

Mario Galaxy 3
New Super Mario World
Star Fox
F-Zero
Metroid games
Animal Crossing
Smash Bros. Ruckus
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Mario Party
Pikmin
Full fledged Pokemon game
Zelda
Yoshi's Island
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong Country Returns Again
Pokemon Wii Snap
Wii Get Even More Fit
Bigger Brain Academy
Punch Out: Mac's Return

Truth101

Banned
Ridleyscott said:

What are you talking about....?

Every single thing you have said is the exact opposite of what Nintendo has been saying recently. Ever listen to any of Iwata's speeches?

Oh, I forget your just trolling.

JCRedeems said:
Games that would guarantee at least 50 million+ consoles sold even without 3rd party support:

Mario Galaxy 3
Wii Get Even More Fit
Bigger Brain Academy

There, I took out the games that didn't help the N64 and/or Gamecube get anywhere near 50 million sales worldwide.

NewFresh

Ridleyscott said:

I know i shouldn't even ask but where are you getting this from? I know Nintendo has some really good selling games (NSMBW, Wii sports, Wii play, etc..) but how are you backing this up

watershed

Banned
M74 said:
Here's the thing: Nintendo's war chest floweths over at this point. If they are serious about trying to win back the gaming core, what have they got to lose paying off a big house for a big title with exclusivity/timed exclusivity/exclusive content? Surely the risk versus reward on such a deal would be in Nintendo's favor.

Sweet music to my ears but I still don't think it will happen. If all else fails, expect less and be surprised when you get more.

Doorman

KevinCow said:
A long, sensible post
Duly noted on all of that...although I wouldn't stop at Rockstar. I'd be making that exact same pitch to any third party even willing to listen and had some sort of high-profile game on the way. GTA is a big name, yes, but one name is not going to be nearly enough to sell Cafe to a group of people that have largely dismissed Nintendo for over a decade, especially a group that knows that these games will also be coming to a system that they already own. If GTA is the only third party pull that they can manage, then even if it does do well I don't think it helps Nintendo break out of that stigma. They've done that same thing with Gamecube and Wii both on various occasions, the "hey look, here's a really cool Mature game on our console!" People still sought the alternatives.

A lot of this so-called mature or hardcore gamer population does rely on image and marketing, so Nintendo's going to need both a brand for its system that doesn't push people away, and it's going to need a big library from the get-go that screams "take us seriously!" I'm intrigued by the poster that suggested Nintendo not produce their own core game for the system's launch, but at the same time isn't the prospect of Nintendo's own high-quality products supposed to be one of the major selling points of the console over its competition? Would Nintendo place that much faith in third parties to lead the way with 'hardcore' applications of whatever their Shaymalan-twist technology is?

NewFresh

JCRedeems said:

Mario Galaxy 3
New Super Mario World
Star Fox
F-Zero
Metroid games
Animal Crossing
Smash Bros. Ruckus
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Mario Party
Pikmin
Zelda
Yoshi's Island
Diddy Kong Racing
Pokemon Wii Snap
Wii Get Even More Fit
Bigger Brain Academy
At the rate that nintendo makes games these days, that would take a decade at least.

bah! established nintendo franchise wise all i want to see is f zero, pikmin,star fox and a 2d zelda everything else can wait for a while before releasing. oh and maybe a new mario party.

Doorman said:
Would Nintendo place that much faith in third parties to lead the way with 'hardcore' applications of whatever their Shaymalan-twist technology is?

This is the problem I have with that idea. I, along with many others, love Nintendo consoles for their games and I don't want a console launch with a bunch of 3rd party games that are also on other consoles. Maybe they could sway them with how they market the launch, but I can't see Nintendo giving up the opportunity to big launch day sales to another third party, let alone entrust third parties to deliver a solid launch lineup. There's no guarantee they'll deliver.

No, they don't, but most gamers certainly do.
I disagree. Most gamers don't care. The only gamers who do make up the minority of the population of gamers... people like you and me. The largest population of gamers are often called "casuals". They bought most of the Wiis and Wii games - much larger demographic than the "core".

I know i shouldn't even ask but where are you getting this from? I know Nintendo has some really good selling games (NSMBW, Wii sports, Wii play, etc..) but how are you backing this up
Go look at the sales numbers. MS and Sony lost money on every system they sold this gen. Their game divisions are in the hole by billions.

Every single thing you have said is the exact opposite of what Nintendo has been saying recently. Ever listen to any of Iwata's speeches?
It isn't what someone says but what they do that is important.

I would like to see third party games on Nintendo, if they are good, but Nintendo could run their business independently.

NewFresh

DoomXploder7 said:
bah! established nintendo franchise wise all i want to see is f zero, pikmin,star fox and a 2d zelda everything else can wait for a while before releasing. oh and maybe a new mario party.

Legend of Zelda II remake would be the thing of dreams

brochiller said:
This is the problem I have with that idea. I, along with many others, love Nintendo consoles for their games and I don't want a console launch with a bunch of 3rd party games that are also on other consoles. Maybe they could sway them with how they market the launch, but I can't see Nintendo giving up the opportunity to big launch day sales to another third party, let alone entrust third parties to deliver a solid launch lineup. There's no guarantee they'll deliver.

i see a 3ds type launch . 360/ps3 ports and/or simultaneous releases with 360/ps3 games of the time and then maybe 2 or 3 nintendo franchises : Pikmin 3, ???, new ip.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy Order Sol said:
Whoever coined the "1.5" thing as a dismissive term deserves to get suplex'd like 6 times in a row. ON CONCRETE.

Hey, Miyamoto said it himself. ;)

artwalknoon said:
Okay, I don't think this will happen but I'd like to hear more. Are you saying that if this were the case the actual console portion would only be for transmitting data and playing on the HD tv? So then the tablet is actually a full fledge tablet capable of running all the games on the go like at a cafe, not just streaming games from a couple yards away from the console? And this tablet would also be like the ipad with apps, movies etc?

Also would there then be a secondary controller set up that has all the buttons and d-pads? Or are you thinking Nintendo is aiming for another revolution with even simpler controls? Also in this case would the tablet be multi-touch?

No, what I was trying to say was that I think there's a possibility that it's no meant to be hooked up to a TV.

The system could come in two sub-systems: The tablet which acts as the display and as controller (again: 2 analog sticks, 2 triggers, gyroscope, vitality sensor, two cams and the 6" 720p multitouch probably with advanced haptic feedback) and the docking station which houses the AMD Fusion SOC, BR-drive, etc. The tablet would send all the control data to the docking station which renders the frame and send the frame back to the tablet, just like a local OnLive-service.

Since the video feed has to be decoded, there's a need for some kind of processor built into the tablet. That very processor (eg. an ARM9) could be used to run all sorts of non-gaming apps even when you're not in your streaming area.

Ridleyscott said:
I disagree. Most gamers don't care. The only gamers who do make up the minority of the population of gamers... people like you and me. The largest population of gamers are often called "casuals".

It hasn't mattered for the past few years because Nintendo had the market cornered on motion controls and steady releases of casual-friendly titles. Now? Not so much. Both Sony and Microsoft and making inroads against them in both those categories and are more likely to receive heavier third-party support than Nintendo and the Wii.

People are going to go where the high-profile games are and Nintendo can't keep up with Sony/MS and third-parties on their own. The blue ocean has turned red and times are rapidly changing.

Boney said:
me

i usurped his power crystals
ATjMS.png

watershed

Banned
which1spink said:
No, what I was trying to say was that I think there's a possibility that it's no meant to be hooked up to a TV.

The system could come in two sub-systems: The tablet which acts as the display and as controller (again: 2 analog sticks, 2 triggers, gyroscope, vitality sensor, two cams and the 6" 720p multitouch probably with advanced haptic feedback) and the docking station which houses the AMD Fusion SOC, BR-drive, etc. The tablet would send all the control data to the docking station which renders the frame and send the frame back to the tablet, just like a local OnLive-service.

Since the video feed has to be decoded, there's a need for some kind of processor built into the tablet. That very processor (eg. an ARM9) could be used to run all sorts of non-gaming apps even when you're not in your streaming area.

So streaming like over the internet so you can be anywhere anytime? Or streaming games like you have to be within a certain range of the base unit? because the answer to this will dramatically affect its portability as a gaming tablet.

Truth101

Banned
Ridleyscott said:
I disagree. Most gamers don't care. The only gamers who do make up the minority of the population of gamers... people like you and me. The largest population of gamers are often called "casuals".

Go look at the sales numbers. MS and Sony lost money on every system they sold this gen. Their game divisions are in the hole by billions.

It isn't what someone says but what they do that is important.

I would like to see third party games on Nintendo, if they are good, but Nintendo could run their business independently.

Then you haven't been paying attention to Nintendo's actions with big-name DS/3DS games have you?

Did you miss Monster Hunter Tri, perhaps Dragon Quest IX, or maybe even Super Street Fighter IV 3D? Nintendo has been making an effort to court 3rd parties, what they will not do is completely subsidize a game for a 3rd party just to get that game on their system.

The biggest reason Nintendo lacked large third party support on the Wii is because of how underpowered the system is. Nintendo is fixing this problem with the Super Wii, so they can also get 3rd party multi-platform titles. If you couple that with how Nintendo has begun to advertise for large 3rd party games on their systems then I don't see what you are blathering on about.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
chubigans said:
I still cant believe the Wii and DS came and went without a proper Pikmin sequel.

SCREW YOU NINTENDO!
chubigans bringing in the real talk.

Hell I remember when the Wiimote was first revealed EVERYBODY said "That'll be perfect for Pikmin 3!"

Truth101

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
chubigans bringing in the real talk.

Hell I remember when the Wiimote was first revealed EVERYBODY said "That'll be perfect for Pikmin 3!"

Super Pikmin, a super Wii launch title. Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom