• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I said earlier I would toss in a mockup. All of these seem to be different than I am thinking. A 6inch screen doesn't have to be gigantic and I think can be more practical. Plus I don't see how any of these can support motion.

Here is exactly what I have been picturing.

wii2hd.jpg

Truth101

Banned
MiDNiGHTS said:
It's gonna be a strange transition waiting for the next xbox and PS. Project Cafe will basically be the most powerful console on the market for a year and it could get a lot of 360/PS3 games but will the devs take advantage of the extra power to make the Cafe versions the best.

There are a lot of beneficial reasons that developers have to develop for the Super Wii and down-port to the PS3 and 360.

Also, from the rumors the Super Wii shares a similar architecture to the 360, and so shouldn't not take developers a long time to adjust to, unlike how the PS3 did if I'm not mistaken.

Some of the benefits would be to tweak or create new gen engines, that could be easily down-ported for the use of the PS3 or 360. It would put the Super Wii in a position similar to that of the 360, in the fact that games are developed for the Super Wii and the optimized and ported to the other systems, the other system this generation being the PS3.

Though this is all hypothetical talk, and I've never been able to understand some of the decisions made by developers.

Edit:

I'd like to add something, is it possible for the Super Wii to implement the type of fake 3D that can be seen in that one DSiware title?

Say if the Super Wii controller has a gyroscope inside of it. I don't remember whether any of the rumors have said anything about a gyroscope though.

artwalknoon said:
Well that's enough of this idea for me. Sorry but I can't see this happening. If I'm wrong I'll come back and congratulate you for being a spot on soothsayer.

I'm not trying to say it is going to happen or to convince people. I was just combining some rumors with some aspects I'd like to see.

Of course it's not going to happen but that's not the point. I just wanted to push this discussion into a different direction because most concepts that have been posted before are even more unlikely to happen - they are just too conventional, too un-nintendy or just plain stupid.

watershed

Banned
which1spink said:
I'm not trying to say it is going to happen or to convince people. I was just combining some rumors with some aspects I'd like to see.

Of course it's not going to happen but that's not the point. I just wanted to push this discussion into a different direction because most concepts that have been posted before are even more unlikely to happen - they are just too conventional, too un-nintendy or just plain stupid.

Yeah I agree most of the ideas have been too conventional or too obvious but the rumors still point to one big secret so that plus what the screen actually does would be the hook.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Looks nice but what about the dual analog sticks that were mentioned a while back

True but I also doubt every rumor will be correct. I also doubt I'm 100% (edit: make hat 10% It's just what Ive been picturing) on. This is how I could see touch best used. They could have a smaller screen with a second analog on it. Or one that goes off to the side.

I don't see how with two analogs you can even use touch anyway. Seems pointless. So I wanted to try and mockup something that shows how it would work best in a controller.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
HenryGale said:
Okay I said earlier I would toss in a mockup. All of these seem to be different than I am thinking. A 6inch screen doesn't have to be gigantic and I think can be more practical. Plus I don't see how any of these can support motion.

wii2hd.jpg

How the hell are you supposed to know what button youre clicking?

wonderfuldays said:
It's your choice. Cafe can either hook on HDTV or stream to your Tab/Controller if family members wants that TV back. Just thinking.

I don't think that's going to happen. Developers would have to develop basically two games to fit either scenario.

On TV= larger fonts/different UI, how the touchscreen can be used (2 screen situation)

On Tablet = different UI, less effects, dumbed-down physics to reduce latency, different use of touchscreen (1 screen situation)

etc.

Truth101

Banned
Is it feasible to have buttons or an analog stick on the back of the controllers. It would take some getting used to as we wouldn't be using our thumbs, but I wonder how comfortable it would be.

Somnid

Truth101 said:
I'd like to add something, is it possible for the Super Wii to implement the type of fake 3D that can be seen in that one DSiware title?

Say if the Super Wii controller has a gyroscope inside of it. I don't remember whether any of the rumors have said anything about a gyroscope though.

Sure. The original head-tracking demo was done on a Wii. I imagine this new system may have a camera with the sensor which would only make it easier to spacially track the player.

Doc Holliday said:
How the hell are you supposed to know what button youre clicking?

Made the buttons larger than they normally are for the screen and gave it good spacing. I think with the buttons on the nunchuck, back of wiimote and only a few on the face it wouldn't be hard. At least I don't think so.

I certainly wouldn't rule it out without trying it. It is one of the obvious flaws though.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
continue...

Haha yeah sounds odd. I think joystiq on back of Wiimote sounds more reasonable.

I just think with how Nintendo wants simplicity, and they wanted the Wiimote to be so entry level imagine taking away all the face buttons. It's like a nintendo dream. Just think back to the revolution rumors, all the mockups with just one button.

I know a lot of people are saying the screen doesn't have to be big in terms of area if it is stretched out, but that isn't likely. If what IGN is true, and games can be streamed to the screen, that also pretty much confirms the aspect ratio of the screen is 16:9 or something very similar.

HenryGale said:

I like the idea, but it's neither going to happen nor it would work (the way it's pictured). First of all there's no true haptic feedback - as someone said you just wouldn't know where to touch to trigger the button you want. Also there's no such screen available on the market. It'd be waaay to expensive for Nintendo to let Sharp or Panasonic develop and produce a special display for them (no, the 3ds one is not Nintendo-exclusive). And the bezel around the display is to thin. I'm sorry ;)

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
EmmanuelMunoz said:
continue...

Imagine the current nunchaku with a hole you can insert your middle finger into.

The hole would have a controller input that you could operate, sock puppet style.

NewFresh

HenryGale said:
Haha yeah sounds odd. I think joystiq on back of Wiimote sounds more reasonable.

I just think with how Nintendo wants simplicity, and they wanted the Wiimote to be so entry level imagine taking away all the face buttons. It's like a nintendo dream. Just think back to the revolution rumors, all the mockups with just one button.
Or the real one with one button
786.jpg

Just look at that star

antonz

HenryGale said:

problem is sources are saying Nintendo has moved on and this is about the hardcore. We have basic ideas of the controller and none of them hint at basic. 2 Sticks, triggers, shoulder buttons etc all shout hardcore

Somnid

My new guess is that maybe the controllers aren't set up the same way we expect. Maybe the console only provides one tablet controller and the rest are Wiimote Mk IIs. The catch is that some games can be designed around the tablet controller and multiplayer games can have asymmetric setups where only one player uses it or it gets passed around. This would also drive down costs costs to something reasonable and make some peace with the various rumors.

brochiller said:
I know a lot of people are saying the screen doesn't have to be big in terms of area if it is stretched out, but that isn't likely. If what IGN is true, and games can be streamed to the screen, that also pretty much confirms the aspect ratio of the screen is 16:9 or something very similar.
And as I posted before (I think on page 20) it's at best 1280x720p/244.7ppi or something like 800x480.

There's simply no 1080p 6" screen as someone else stated. The pixel-density would simply be too high for a 6" display (at least for a mass-market product) ;)

dwu8991

Banned
which1spink said:
And as I posted before (I think on page 20) it's at best 1280x720p/244.7ppi or something like 800x840.

There's simply no 1080p 6" screen as someone else stated. The pixel-density would simply be too high for a 6" display (at least for a mass-market product) ;)

As long as the touchscreen is as good as the 3DS, it will be fine by me! I doubt the resolution of the screen is going to be higher or better than what is available for the Nintendo 3DS.

M74

antonz said:
problem is sources are saying Nintendo has moved on and this is about the hardcore. We have basic ideas of the controller and none of them hint at basic. 2 Sticks, triggers, shoulder buttons etc all shout hardcore
So have they thrown away pointer mechanics? All these rumors simply say "motion controls", which does not necessarily include a pointer. Did I miss a source specifically referencing improved pointer recognition? And if it is there, how in the world does it fit into this traditional gamepad? Why would we need two control sticks if they plan on keeping the pointer?

Somnid said:
My new guess is that maybe the controllers aren't set up the same way we expect. Maybe the console only provides one tablet controller and the rest are Wiimote Mk IIs. The catch is that some games can be designed around the tablet controller and multiplayer games can have asymmetric setups where only one player uses it or it gets passed around. This would also drive down costs costs to something reasonable and make some peace with the various rumors.

This was brought up earlier and I'm thinking this may be the case as well. Forcing the player to have four controllers with what amounts to a tabet on them to plat Super Smash Bros. would ridiculously expensive and unnecessary from a gameplay prospective.

antonz

M74 said:
So have they thrown away pointer mechanics? All these rumors simply say "motion controls", which does not necessarily include a pointer. Did I miss a source specifically referencing improved pointer recognition? And if it is there, how in the world does it fit into this traditional gamepad? Why would we need two control sticks if they plan on keeping the pointer?
Some sort of motion controls apparently still exist. We could be in for some strange frankenstein controller that marries the motion controls into something more hardcore.

antonz said:
Some sort of motion controls apparently still exist. We could be in for some strange frankenstein controller that marries the motion controls into something more hardcore.
Stop saying hardcore. It doesn't mean anything.

antonz

CoffeeJanitor said:
Stop saying hardcore. It doesn't mean anything.
Im using in a very basic sense not the jackass sense. Even Nintendo clearly views the controllers with a ton of buttons as a very different category then the Wiimote.

M74

antonz said:
Another thought, ignoring for a moment that it will likely be backward compatible with the Wiimote: If they revert to a traditional gamepad, they pretty much eat their words about how awesome it would be to swing Link's sword like a real sword. Does that mechanic suddenly disappear in future Zelda titles after SS?

It's not enough to say the Wiimote is still there as a secondary control scheme to be used as an option, because apparently they have improved the motion controls overall. If we're looking at a split control scheme, they would have to issue a revised Wiimote to include the upgraded mechanics.

Or is the screen supposed to replace the pointer? That might work as a precise FPS mechanism, but it still leaves the whole sword swinging issue open. It seems like they might have to backtrack on a lot of what they have tried to convince us of this generation.

And this hasn't been mentioned yet, I don't think, but would Nintendo consider including Kinetic-like functionality? For whatever that's worth.

JCRedeems

Banned
Okay, let's put your Nintendo dream machine fantasies aside for a moment and try to look at their next console based on reality.

Do you really think shareholders would want Nintendo to chase the dudebro "hardcore" with a super powerful console after all the net billions loss with Microsoft and Sony? Shareholders are going to question why make a super powerful hardware console chasing a demographic they hadn't had since the SNES. Moreover they would have to sell at a loss and/or sell at a price point outside their fanbase's reach. It's apparently a broken business model. With the Wii en route to 100 million+ sold based on old hardware with huge profit margins I seriously doubt their shareholders would want to go with a super powerful console. I'm more inclined to believe it will be as powerful as the 360 but the main selling point will be some "gimmick" that will differentiate it from its competitors.

That's not to say Nintendo won't moneyhat for 3rd party exclusives and whatnot to attract 3rd parties, but they are definitely not going to go all out with some super computer.

antonz

JCRedeems said:
Okay, let's put your Nintendo dream machine fantasies aside for a moment and try to look at their next console based on reality.

Do you really think shareholders would want Nintendo to chase the hardcore with a super powerful console after all the net billions loss with Microsoft and Sony? Shareholders are going to question why make a super powerful hardware console chasing a demographic they hadn't had since the SNES. Moreover they would have to sell at a loss and/or sell at a price point outside their fanbase's reach. It's apparently a broken business model. With the Wii en route to 100 million+ sold based on old hardware with huge profit margins I seriously doubt their shareholders would want to go with a super powerful console. I'm more inclined to believe it will be as powerful as the 360 but the main selling point will be some "gimmick" that will differentiate it from its competitors.

That's not to say Nintendo won't moneyhat for 3rd party exclusives and whatnot to attract 3rd parties, but they are definitely not going to go all out with some super computer.
They dont have to go for a super computer. Graphics and CPU technology has progressed quite rapidly in recent years. Even if nintendo goes with a GPU from 2008 it will be many time greater than anything in this gens machines

HenryGale said:

wii2hd.jpg

Wouldn't a touch screen be pretty terrible if you are waving the controller around and not always seeing what you are pressing? For a Wiimote it seems tactile buttons are a must.

Ninja Scooter said:
Wouldn't a touch screen be pretty terrible if you are waving the controller around and not always seeing what you are pressing? For a Wiimote it seems tactile buttons are a must.
Who knows.

Videogames are taking stranger and stranger shapes every year.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say even for a standard controller, a touch screen is a very bad idea. It works on a handheld, because you are supposed to look at it at all times (even if you are looking at the upper screen on a DS). I becomes annoying the moment you have to switch views between TV/controller.

JCRedeems

Banned
antonz said:
They dont have to go for a super computer. Graphics and CPU technology has progressed quite rapidly in recent years. Even if nintendo goes with a GPU from 2008 it will be many time greater than anything in this gens machines

But would they be able to sell it below $250 without a loss? I doubt it.

JCRedeems said:

Do you really think shareholders would want Nintendo to chase the dudebro "hardcore" with a super powerful console after all the net billions loss with Microsoft and Sony? ...

Even Nintendo's shareholders DEMAND for horse power this time I think. They know that Wii Sport Resort 2 won't bringing more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom