• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinci said:
Go back and read Pocks' original post on what the tablet / screen could be used for. It in no way sounds like an iPad in terms of functionality and would not be useful outside of it providing additional functionality to the console.

You people are overthinking this.

I dont expect nintendo to launch something that is not fresh and has been done before...

but i do expect them to refine what they have done before and didnt meet their expectactions

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The_Darkest_Red said:
The cost issue is certainly worth consideration, and is probably the biggest factor that would keep Nintendo from implementing some sort of standalone tablet. I'm definitely not saying that this idea is fool-proof, I just think it makes the most sense of any speculation regarding the 6" screen rumor. Also, the cost issue would only be increased if a screen were present in every controller.

I disagree that the tablet would draw comparisons with the iPad. If Nintendo marketed it for what it is, a controller designed as an interface with their new system, they could avoid that trap with all but the most ignorant. They would have to be very clear up front that the device is NOT an e-book reader, app running device, music player, or mobile platform, but rather an extra part of the Wii 2 experience. It would be tricky but I certainly think it's possible. I also don't think it would be a "dumb iPad" if you kept it at home because it's not trying to be an iPad. Just because you have an electronic device with a big touch screen doesn't mean it has to be viewed as a competitor to the iPad and other tablet devices, especially when it comes bundled with a home video game console.

That said, I completely agree with what you're saying about HD and putting the focus on the television. I hope you're right. I think most of this speculation is based on the assumption that the "6" screen" rumor has some validity, but without that all of these ideas turn into completely unfounded ramblings. I honestly wouldn't mind those rumors being false, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, the waiting to see which (if any) of these rumours turn out to be fact is the hard bit ;)

I just think it's hard to make use of a tablet in any compelling way if it wasn't there for the digestion of multiple content. It's too much of an expense to use as just a console interface, and with very limited applications. All the applications of it are better done as a self-contained item, that the focus of what you are interacting with is also what you are looking at. Low barrier of entry for a controller is also crucial to enabling more than one person to get that experience. If this new experience is compelling, they'd want everyone to enjoy it.

But ignoring the expense of being able to do it, 4 people sat around looking between tablets and a television is a damn site less compelling than 4 people jumping around with remotes to Wii Sports infront of the television. Nintendo aren't going to abandon what makes console gaming work, and what they did so well with the Wii.

Whatever new idea they have, it is far more likely to build on their strengths rather than throw a lot of the strengths out the window. Also one of the main things they will want to fix with the Wii is its narrow content, another reason to put the emphasis on the power of the console rather than that divert resources to a very expensive and fragile way of interacting with it.

Starchasing said:
I dont expect nintendo to launch something that is not fresh and has been done before...

but i do expect them to refine what they have done before and didnt meet their expectactions
We've heard numerous times that this console will feature a "big surprise."

Vinci

Danish
Starchasing said:

You're assuming that its functionality will be similar to other tablets. Until we know what it will be used for, it's impossible to state its exact function or how 'fresh' it is or not. But the notion that they're going to hook up a 6" screen to each and every controller is absolute nonsense compared to Pocks' suggestion. It makes infinitely more sense even if its exact purpose is unknown at the moment.

NewFresh

Lupin the Wolf said:
I've...never heard of a screen being measured in this manner.
I am with you. usually it is corner to corner
how_2_Measure_a_TV.jpg

HenryGale said:
See I do a lot of iOS gaming iPad and iPhone. Dnt have a problem with touch gaming at all. Just have toj be creativue with the UI.

But you're eyes and fingers are on the same screen. When you look at a separate screen (television), your fingers need to rely on feel. They need to be able to rest on the physical buttons and push down, not hover over a touch pad and tap.

It's one thing for interacting directly with a screen, it's an entirely different scenario on an input device for a separate screen.

agrajag

Banned
What if the surface of the wiimote was one big touch screen and it had buttons underneath the screen, which would protrude like bulges on the screen? So you'd still have buttons, you couldn't accidentally press them by touching the screen, you wouldn't have to look at the screen to know where the buttons are.

apana

Streaming is only part of the package. The screen must also be a projector of some kind, hologram is pushing it though.

Vinci

Danish
agrajag said:
What if the surface of the wiimote was one big touch screen and it had buttons underneath the screen, which would protrude like bulges on the screen? So you'd still have buttons, you couldn't accidentally press them by touching the screen, you wouldn't have to look at the screen to know where the buttons are.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have buttons on one side of the Wiimote and the touch screen on the other side (ie. you flip it over to use it)? Maybe the thing could even tell when it was facing one way or another, thus pausing the game when you switched to a touch screen or some other functionality.

I mean, if we're going to discuss it being in the controller.

DECK'ARD said:
Yeah, the waiting to see which (if any) of these rumours turn out to be fact is the hard bit ;)

I just think it's hard to make use of a tablet in any compelling way if it wasn't there for the digestion of multiple content. It's too much of an expense to use as just a console interface, and with very limited applications. All the applications of it are better done as a self-contained item, that the focus of what you are interacting with is also what you are looking at. Low barrier of entry for a controller is also crucial to enabling more than one person to get that experience. If this new experience is compelling, they'd want everyone to enjoy it.

But ignoring the expense of being able to do it, 4 people sat around looking between tablets and a television is a damn site less compelling than 4 people jumping around with remotes to Wii Sports infront of the television. Nintendo aren't going to abandon what makes console gaming work, and what they did so well with the Wii.

Whatever new idea they have, it is far more likely to build on their strengths rather than throw a lot of the strengths out the window. Also one of the main things they will want to fix with the Wii is its narrow content, another reason to put the emphasis on the power of the console rather than that divert resources to a very expensive and fragile way of interacting with it.
So you're not buying the 6" screen rumor, then?

I see what you're saying about the problems that would occur with multiplayer and only having one tablet, but I see the device as more of a single-user focused device anyway. I envisioned using it to handle online functions (viewing friends list, messaging friends), inventory management, store browsing and purchasing, system control, and other similar features. I really don't think the screen would be that limited though, since its uses would be dictated by the software that developers come up with. To me it seems like the console equivalent of the bottom DS screen.

It's going to be awesome when Nintendo comes out and shows off some console that has nothing to do with a secondary screen at all. Oh well, this is fun enough for the time being. :)

Vinci said:
You're assuming that its functionality will be similar to other tablets. Until we know what it will be used for, it's impossible to state its exact function or how 'fresh' it is or not. But the notion that they're going to hook up a 6" screen to each and every controller is absolute nonsense compared to Pocks' suggestion. It makes infinitely more sense even if its exact purpose is unknown at the moment.

But as i said earlier.. it doesnt make sense if you put all the rumours together.... but if you take the 6 inches out it makes a lot of sense specially when Nintendo has already done games that have screen in their controllers.

Also it has a clear functionality in local multiplayer games... to keep secrets like what item you have in Mario Kart

M74

agrajag said:
This is what I keep thinking about. The whole face of the controller is a screen, but the physical buttons sit within it. It's possible right?

Vinci

Danish
Starchasing said:
But as i said earlier.. it doesnt make sense if you put all the rumours together.... but if you take the 6 inches out it makes a lot of sense specially when Nintendo has already done games that have screen in their controllers.

Yes, if you nix the rumors of the 6" screen entirely, it would certainly change the scenario. But then, what do we have to go on at that point? Rumored specs, which are all over the place? The only consistent thing we've heard about the system is that it has a 6" screen involved in its controls in some fashion.

Also it has a clear functionality in local multiplayer games... to keep secrets like what item you have in Mario Kart

I'm not denying that, but including a screen into each and every controller is going to be enormously expensive.

Starchasing said:

But if you want to throw out the 6" screen rumor then why not just throw out the screen rumor entirely? The two are based on the same sources.

If only I had one ounce of artisitic talent:
CIMG0094.jpg

Features:
-Unique circular touch screen like you're looking through a portal
-Standard amount of buttons organized in non-confusing way
-turn tablet on side for simplified controls
-Wii Speak built in
-Video conferencing capable

M74 said:
This is what I keep thinking about. The whole face of the controller is a screen, but the physical buttons sit within it. It's possible right?

can you still feel the buttons? it's one thing to have them potrude (even if they are on the opposing side) and to have dedicated screen space for the buttons but none of them actually potrude

Majine

Banned
Fourth Storm said:
CIMG0094.jpg

Features:
-Wii Speak built in

Wii 2 Tennis Comfirmed?

The_Darkest_Red said:
But if you want to throw out the 6" screen rumor then why not just throw out the screen rumor entirely? The two are based on the same sources.

Because Nintendo once tried to launch GBA-GC as a big selling point... but it failed because it was too expensive. So if nintendo launched a new 3d portable after they failure of VirtuaBoy, i can see them revisiting the idea of a controller with a screen, and since its a tease, an unconfirmed rumour , it may as well be a six inches squared screen

Vinci

Danish
Fernando Rocker said:
I wonder if Nintendo and company are reading these comments and laughing at us.

People are going to ask Miyamoto: "So why is there no 6-inch screen on each controller?" And Shiggy's gonna be all, "WTF you talking 'bout??"

Fourth Storm said:
CIMG0094.jpg

Features:
-Wii Speak built in

It looks like the magic mirror from Romper Room

M74

From The Dust said:
can you still feel the buttons? it's one thing to have them potrude (even if they are on the opposing side) and to have dedicated screen space for the buttons but none of them actually potrude
In my mind, yeah, they are still physical buttons with a "bump" on the surface so you can feel them like we always have. I assume that can be done somehow.

Vinci said:
Karaoke games. LOTS of karaoke games. ;)

Oh god, 3d visuals and performance capture displayed on the TV, lyrics displayed on the tablet for the person singing...

it would become my favourite gaming machine ever

♪ We'll always be together, however far it sseeeeeems
we'll always be together! Together in electric dreaaaams! ♪

NewFresh

Vinci said:
People are going to ask Miyamoto: "So why is there no 6-inch screen on each controller?" And Shiggy's gonna be all, "WTF you talking 'bout??"

Random person: Mr. Iwata, what ever happened to the rumored 6" screen on the controller?
Iwata: *laughs* *vanishes into a puff of smoke*

M74 said:
In my mind, yeah, they are still physical buttons with a "bump" on the surface so you can feel them like we always have. I assume that can be done somehow.

I guess you mean like the bumps on stoves and refridgerators. that could work. but then you would be flexing the screen in a very odd way. they may be able to bend in a wide arc, but probably not a short one

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The_Darkest_Red said:
So you're not buying the 6" screen rumor, then?

I see what you're saying about the problems that would occur with multiplayer and only having one tablet, but I see the device as more of a single-user focused device anyway. I envisioned using it to handle online functions (viewing friends list, messaging friends), inventory management, store browsing and purchasing, system control, and other similar features. I really don't think the screen would be that limited though, since its uses would be dictated by the software that developers come up with. To me it seems like the console equivalent of the bottom DS screen.

It's going to be awesome when Nintendo comes out and shows off some console that has nothing to do with a secondary screen at all. Oh well, this is fun enough for the time being. :)

No, I definitely don't buy the 6" screen rumour. Or touchscreen really for that matter. A small screen in the controller for information purposes, and communicating things relevant to just that player is feasible. Especially if biometrics or biofeedback is an aspect of the system, because it's the controller that would be gathering the information and it's information only relevant to that person.

A controller with thumbprint recognition that can identify you as the user, display your name/Mii on the controller, and then customise the Home screen, game/controller settings etc. automatically. That would be a very Nintendo way of having user-accounts and logging-in, plus automatic parental controls to boot.

Basically if something as expensive and fragile as a screen is in there, it's more likely being Nintendo to be a by-product of some other feature. The technology is never the selling point with Nintendo, it's how they apply it. Taking thumbprint recognition again for instance, it's technology that is out there just never been applied in this way before. With the 3DS the pedometer was applied in a different way with the PlayCoins, Wi-Fi also with StreetPass.

With Nintendo any key new feature is likely to be out-of-the-box thinking, because that's what keeps a company distinctive and makes a unique experience. Not replicating say RemotePlay, or managing your online account like a W7 Phone, or using a controller/screen like a DS. All things people are very familiar with.

Futureman

wait... was there any truth to those David Perry comments yesterday?

Seemed like pretty damn solid info from an insider, but it doesn't look like it was added to the first post.

Miyamoto: We need some comic relief, we've been working too hard on this new system.

Iwata: Hmm... I've got it! Let's release some fake rumors and follow the inevitable GAF thread!

Futureman

maxmars said:
Has it already been fancied in the past 248 pages that the controller screen could be 3d?

I think it will be 3D. Nintendo has been experimenting with 3D since the NES. They finally ship a home console w/ a screen. I don't see them not taking advantage of 3D.

M74

The_Darkest_Red said:
Miyamoto: We need some comic relief, we've been working too hard on this new system.

Iwata: Hmm... I've got it! Let's release some fake rumors and follow the inevitable GAF thread!
Maybe they did this to drum up new ideas. =O

Vinci

Danish
maxmars said:
Sorry, my bad. I can't really keep up with such frantic threads. Thanks for the info by the way.

Oh, not a criticism. This thread is a damn monster of misinformation and conjecture.

DECK'ARD said:
No, I definitely don't buy the 6" screen rumour. Or touchscreen really for that matter. A small screen in the controller for information purposes, and communicating things relevant to just that player is feasible. Especially if biometrics or biofeedback is an aspect of the system, because it's the controller that would be gathering the information and it's information only relevant to that person.

A controller with thumbprint recognition that can identify you as the user, display your name/Mii on the controller, and then customise the Home screen, game/controller settings etc. automatically. That would be a very Nintendo way of having user-accounts and logging-in, plus automatic parental controls to boot.

Basically if something as expensive and fragile as a screen is in there, it's more likely being Nintendo to be a by-product of some other feature. The technology is never the selling point with Nintendo, it's how they apply it. Taking thumbprint recognition again for instance, it's technology that is out there just never been applied in this way before. With the 3DS the pedometer was applied in a different way with the PlayCoins, Wi-Fi also with StreetPass.

With Nintendo any key new feature is likely to be out-of-the-box thinking, because that's what keeps a company distinctive and makes a unique experience. Not replicating say RemotePlay, or managing your online account like a W7 Phone, or using a controller/screen like a DS. All things people are very familiar with.

I totally agree with you....

Some predictions for future mocking.

Screen Rumour
-----------------
Seemingly likely with multiple confirmations.
Will stream GBA-level games from the console (console has a mode for this.)
Will show private player information and maps but not active gameplay.

... and is therefore.. a flipscreen. The controller has a traditional form factor with sticks at the bottom but a flip-up screen.

Sensor Bar Rumour
------------------------
Rumour is that the controller IS the sensor bar.
This only makes sense if the controller can be put under the TV and acts as.. a Kinectesque camera. In Soviet Russia, camera senses you, etc.

Console Rumours
--------------------
Rumour is that specs just over current generation.
Will be positioned just annoyingly higher than the other two consoles, but barely.
Will have more RAM than either, giving it 'an edge' but in practice this won't mean much.

Secret Rumour
--------------------------
Is not massively disappointing after a good first two years. :(

I can understand why people don't buy such a big screen on the controller, but a DSi XL would have a 6inch screen if you removed the gap. Maybe you could stream DS games on it, but I'd expect it to be gutted of most chips and ports.

TheRagnCajun said:
It looks like the magic mirror from Romper Room

Never saw it! Would be cool though to see your own face morph ala Mario's in Mario 64 right before your very eyes. Or to see your friends' faces or environment right there as you play.

The whole thing with the tablet is this: How do you hold it as you play without it being awkward? Having to rest it on your lap would suck as would having the screen hang to the side of your hand. This is my solution.

No way in hell they're giving up the Wii Remote form factor. It's good enough that Sony copied it and it feels extremely liberating to be able to move your hands separately. Only problem was accuracy and lack of standard buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom