• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
This is what I think it'll be close to, except there will be an analog stick above the screen.

It's also the worst possible scenario. This would be the first time there really would be no debate whatsoever - this would be the worst controller possible. People defending it would instantly be labeled. Touch screen can never mimic the tactile feel of buttons properly, even if it does that lame click buzz shit some phones have.

I dunno I think with all the rumours this looks closest, but I have to figure Nintendo isn't that dumb.

also missing bumpers. considering nintendo went ahead and added two shoulder buttons to each side of the classic controller pro, i doubt it's something they'd overlook. what would be the fucking point of having a display that just shows buttons that the previous console had anyway? if you wanted some minimal hud information there, the screen would be a lot smaller and not a touch pad. lastly, if the idea behind it is the ability to customize buttons on the controller, then having an analog stick sticking out the top/left side at all times would kinda defeat the purpose.

Amir0x

Banned
Maxrunner said:
Doesnt haptic screens simulate real buttons and stuff??

No one would know, I don't think. I certainly haven't tried a haptic touchscreen. Not many have, I'd wager. Not sure if Nintendo would even be ready for a mass production haptic touchscreen.

Anihawk said:
what would be the fucking point of having a display that just shows buttons that the previous console had anyway? if you wanted some minimal hud information there, the screen would be a lot smaller and not a touch pad.

IF that is close to the final look, I'd wager the point is that it'll have functionality beyond just custom button layouts. For example, you'd get some games which use it for 'innovative' gameplay. It'd still be a touchscreen, after all.

Vitet

Amir0x said:
This is what I think it'll be close to, except there will be an analog stick above the screen.

It's also the worst possible scenario. This would be the first time there really would be no debate whatsoever - this would be the worst controller possible. People defending it would instantly be labeled. Touch screen can never mimic the tactile feel of buttons properly, even if it does that lame click buzz shit some phones have.

I dunno I think with all the rumours this looks closest, but I have to figure Nintendo isn't that dumb.

Hi Amir0x, did you read my PM?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
IF that is close to the final look, I'd wager the point is that it'll have functionality beyond just custom button layouts. For example, you'd get some games which use it for 'innovative' gameplay. It'd still be a touchscreen, after all.

well there's not much room for 2005-era ds stuff on something like that if most of it's being taken up by controls. would pretty much invalidate streaming entire games from the tv to the controller as well. i don't see the benefit from such a layout. it would be such a minor thing that nobody would give a shit. the ability to play your console game while other people watch tv, or having more than four friends over for a multiplayer game (or just getting rid of splitscreen forever for any multiplayer game) makes more sense.

Maxrunner

Amir0x said:
No one would know, I don't think. I certainly haven't tried a haptic touchscreen. Not many have, I'd wager. Not sure if Nintendo would even be ready for a mass production haptic touchscreen.

IF they wont use an haptic touch screen whats the point??the idea is to have buttons, other wise we should stick with the damn iphone or something....

beje

Banned
Kenka said:
Why so many replies in this thread ? That is totally crazy !

Wait until we finally know "the secret", because we will then have a thread twice as big just for mock ups of how could it be applied to current games.

beje said:
Wait until we finally know "the secret", because we will then have a thread twice as big just for mock ups of how could it be applied to current games.

Not if it's a microphone. Or a feedback screen, or uh.. clicky triggers.

Kenka

Well, the more replies in a hype thread the more ignominious the disappointment, yeah ?

Especially when the manufacturer is called Nintendo. We sould normally all be burnt by Nintendo's approach of slashing hardware components in order to lower the price of its devices. I predict massive self-beating in the seconds following the unveiling of the console itself.

NewFresh

Kenka said:
Well, the more replies in a hype thread the more ignominious the disappointment, yeah ?

Especially when the manufacturer is called Nintendo. We sould normally all be burnt by Nintendo's approach of slashing hardware components in order to lower the price of its devices. I predict massive self-beating in the seconds following the unveiling of the console itself.
At the same time we will hear people shouting from mountain tops how amazing it is

1-D_FTW

You guys need to throw out any design that is two parted and can't practically accommodate a condom jacket on the Wiimote.

truendo said:
Ok, I know I'm kinda late, and I'm not sure if an idea like this has already been posted, but what about a controller that slides out like this?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff137/truendo/combined.png[img]

Edit: and I didn't really take my time on this, so please forgive the low quality photoshopping. XD[/QUOTE]

You've clearly never taken a controller apart to try and fix something. You couldn't have any sticks or buttons in that design. The LCD screen in retracted form makes it physically impossible (in the guts).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still can't believe some are arguing that the screen would mean no buttons. Nintendo slammed the app-gaming industry--there's no way they release a controller that has no buttons. It would look incredibly hypocritical.

NewFresh

Freezie KO said:
786.jpg

Okay, see that thing on the left? That's what I want.

You see those four buttons surrounding the circle? Now imagine the circle is an analog slider that you can click in like a button. Then give the thing two triggers. And you can have one in each hand.
Maybe you would like the one on the left
wiir-thumb.jpg

Plinko said:
I still can't believe some are arguing that the screen would mean no buttons. Nintendo slammed the app-gaming industry--there's no way they release a controller that has no buttons. It would look incredibly hypocritical.
This.
They also basically have a button pedigree. They are known for good responsive buttons and d-pads

JGS

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
There is no nunchuck, but the idea is they're sick of adding straps and condoms for games that make you swing the controller around wildly. Pointing one or two handed should be comfortable as possible though.

When you say grip underneath do you mean to avoid obscuring the camera, or some ergonomic reason? My thinking was the IR camera is in the middle, between the two new beacon lights and under the face cam. Lights might need moving closer together to avoid fingers too.
I was thinking you would need some kind of Wiimote funtionality, but after I said that, I assumed that the Wiimote could simply be plugged into it too.

It just would seem odd if Nintendo abandoned the Wiimote altogether unless (As I think will happen), the Wii stays on the market as solely an introductory system for the masses that aren't interested in games beyond the Wii Fit/Party/Play variety.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Maybe you would like the one on the left
http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/wiir-thumb.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

It's nice, but it needs the four surrounding buttons. Lack of buttons was definitely a problem, and one easily fixed. Add two triggers on that thing, some surrounding buttons, put one in each hand, and let's go. It's perfect.

Having the Wii remote compatible with the new system would make sense, especially if it's backwards compatible with the Wii.

As an argument for why they could replace the waggle wand with something new, here are the 13 top selling Wii games, according to Wikipedia.

Wii Sports (75.66 million)
Wii Play (27.38 million)

Mario Kart Wii (26.50 million)
Wii Sports Resort (26.35 million)
Wii Fit (22.61 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (21.28 million)
Wii Fit Plus (17.74 million)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (9.48 million)
Super Mario Galaxy (8.84 million)
Mario Party 8 (7.6 million)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (7.09 million)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6.15 million)
Wii Party (5.07 million)
Just Dance 2 (5 million)

I have bolded the ones which couldn't concievably be made to work without a waggle wand (some are debatable) Interestingly, the 3 Nintendo titles were bundled with either a waggle wand or something that adds extra waggle functionality. A bundled touch screen game, and a controller bundle game would do just as well again, if they could make a similarly appealing new concept.

How many people are begging for Wii Sports Resort HD?

plank

Graphics Horse said:
Having the Wii remote compatible with the new system would make sense, especially if it's backwards compatible with the Wii.

As an argument for why they could replace the waggle wand with something new, here are the 13 top selling Wii games, according to Wikipedia.

Wii Sports (75.66 million)
Wii Play (27.38 million)

Mario Kart Wii (26.50 million)
Wii Sports Resort (26.35 million)
Wii Fit (22.61 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (21.28 million)
Wii Fit Plus (17.74 million)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (9.48 million)
Super Mario Galaxy (8.84 million)
Mario Party 8 (7.6 million)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (7.09 million)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6.15 million)
Wii Party (5.07 million)
Just Dance 2 (5 million)

I have bolded the ones which couldn't concievably be made to work without a waggle wand (some are debatable) Interestingly, the 3 Nintendo titles were bundled with either a waggle wand or something that adds extra waggle functionality. A bundled touch screen game, and a controller bundle game would do just as well again, if they could make a similarly appealing new concept.

M+ is not waggle

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maxrunner said:
Doesnt haptic screens simulate real buttons and stuff??

In the general sense no, it just provided localised vibration. So when you touch something on the screen, you feel a vibration under where you touch. It's for feedback, not for help with the location of things like buttons which you'd need on a controller you weren't looking at.

There are deforming touchscreens, but that's just experimental technology and not ready for the mainstream let alone included in a Nintendo controller.

The screen taking up the entire surface of the remote does have applications, but when you consider it would be a non-standard sized screen to manufacture it isn't likely. It would be a bugger to use without buttons, you don't add to the cost and fragility of a controller at the expense of so much functionality. The screen taking up the middle section of the remote, leaving the d-pad, A and 1/2 buttons at each end is more believable. Home, +/-, are not critical buttons in general, and so they could be relegated to the touchscreen.

Making people look away from the TV screen though to choose something from the remote though is still at odds with console play, and not very Nintendo. The Wii introduced touch to consoles through pointer controls. Adapt the concept to the nature of the experience, which for consoles revolves around the television. All this talk of touchscreens is thinking too simplistic, and trying to mash-up 2 different experiences.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Graphics Horse said:

This is something I would expect to see packed in with the console on the on board system memory. Controls even more accurate with less errors (hopefully none!) than in Wii Sports Resort and online play. I know fine that if Wii Sports Bowling had online play and leaderboards etc, I'd still be on it much more often.

I can't wait for Nintendo's new system. If it can give me Wii Fit, Sports, Boom Blox and all the other enhanced control experiences found in Metroid Prime & Resident Evil 4, along with all the more hardcore stuff like GTAV, Modern Warfare it makes for a very tempting proposition. If Nintendo give third parties the power to draw them all in and also put all their best first party hardcore and casual games on the system they are going to be hard to beat.

Give me all that and it is a day one for sure!

Amir0x said:

There are many types of so called haptic touch screens. The common ones are the ones that feature local vibration. The haptic touch screen that simulate different surfaces, like Senseg's are not too practical for a product release window of 2012 at that mass production/cost.

Maxrunner said:
IF they wont use an haptic touch screen whats the point??the idea is to have buttons, other wise we should stick with the damn iphone or something....
There are many uses. I was thinking Nintendo besides the obvious HUD/Menu dump, can use it to transform every TV, independent of size or panel technology, into a touch screen. And use the camera to track finger positioning over the surface of the touch screen.

The screen could be included one in each console. And there are many workable setups, even suggested by forumers in this thread, that could work with the screen while retaining pointing functionality. So a dev chooses the control method that best suits their product. And don't even think Nintendo is excluding buttons.
which1spink said:
If the streaming rumor is true, I really don't see a point in hooking it up to a TV. First of all, you can't use the touchscreen without looking at it, even with advanced haptic feedback you just don't know where the touch the screen without looking.
They can use the camera to track finger postions across the screen surface and give you a sort of pointer feedback proyected in the TV.

I see it very clear now... they are improving their own past mistakes...

virtual boy -> 3DS

gba-GC conectivity -> Project cafe

edit: i dont think they will use 3ds to conect to project cafe, but the controller will be used as the gba was used in the gba gc connectivity

joshwaan

Games I want from the New console.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 2
Rock'n Roll Racing
Street Fighter 5
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Killer Instinct
E.V.O remake fuck this game was good on the SNES
Golden Eye Remake
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario Galaxy 3
Pikmin 3
Zelda Ocarina of Time remake
Super Mario Kart
Pilot Wings HD
Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 6
Star Fox HD
Conkers Bad Wii day :p
Super Metriod HD
Yoshi's Island HD
Shit load of new Original games thanks Nintendo :)

Just looking forward to seeing a Nintendo game in HD.

joshwaan said:

Rock'n Roll Racing
Street Fighter 5
Killer Instinct
Golden Eye Remake
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario Galaxy 3
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Kart
Pilot Wings HD
Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 6
Star Fox HD
Super Metriod HD
Yoshi's Island HD

I want this and a new Star Fox Adventures. Such an underated game, least as far as I knew, not sure how it was recieved here on gaf.

windfish

joshwaan said:

Rock'n Roll Racing
Street Fighter 5
Killer Instinct
Golden Eye Remake
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario Galaxy 3
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Kart
Pilot Wings HD
Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 6
Star Fox HD
Super Metriod HD
Yoshi's Island HD

hu? you didn't get the memo?

nephilimdj said:
The top right one would be perfect for a lcd

Hmmm....

Buttons on one side, flip it over for LCD on the other (which, admittedly, is now covered in fingerprints), and you could still hold it like a remote for pointing.

zallaaa

Koren said:
Third, and maybe more importantly : being able to use the Wii 2 without the TV set. Think tablet usage, web browsing, etc. or even gaming when someone else use the TV.

Also, when docked onto the Super Wii it could very well complete Wiiconnect24 features giving more useful info than a blue-glowing light.

zallaaa

JCRedeems said:
Games that would guarantee at least 50 million+ consoles sold even without 3rd party support:

Mario Galaxy 3
New Super Mario World
Star Fox
F-Zero
Metroid games
Animal Crossing
Smash Bros. Ruckus
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Mario Party
Pikmin
Full fledged Pokemon game
Zelda
Yoshi's Island
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong Country Returns Again
Pokemon Wii Snap
Wii Get Even More Fit
Bigger Brain Academy
Punch Out: Mac's Return

I don't think so...

Vinci

Danish
How about we toss out the whole touchscreen in the controller concept and go with what Pocks laid out yesterday? It was a helluva lot easier to swallow and didn't create any issues with ergonomics or discomfort. Why did this thread go back in time to before he suggested it and everyone was like, "Screen in the controller - WTF??"

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Refreshment.01 said:
They can use the camera to track finger postions across the screen surface and give you a sort of pointer feedback proyected in the TV.

Seriously, just no.

It would be *very* imprecise and lost completely if the screen moves to the wrong angle or your hand moves out of sight of the camera which will happen easily at close range. It's also an abstraction of the pointing process which takes away its benefits. The point of reference with pointing wants to be the what you are pointing at. Suddenly it's not what you are pointing at that's important, it's where your hand is in relation to something you are holding. This is not natural.

The pointer functionality is loved on the Wii because it's the correct implementation of it, with the correct form-factor of the controller to make it seem totally natural.

It is touch adapted to an environment where what you want to touch is too far way. A genius idea done well. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Vinci said:
How about we toss out the whole touchscreen in the controller concept and go with what Pocks laid out yesterday? It was a helluva lot easier to swallow and didn't create any issues with ergonomics or discomfort. Why did this thread go back in time to before he suggested it and everyone was like, "Screen in the controller - WTF??"
I agree, especially since that's the last time I was keeping up with this thread. This baby is movin'.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
Pocks idea was a great one. Very practical, and I can imagine it helping out the social/online functions as well as gameplay in some games.
If they could put simple head tracking in the tablet for some kind of pseudo holographic effect extending into your room, this thing could seriously impress.

hEist

someway i think, the new console of ninty will be also portable. the name café somehow confused me. specially with an 6' screen.
can play it on the tv and also portable...

apana

Somebody said if you have a haptic screen, you can use the controller to touch your dog and feel the fur. That would be cool. If there is a Miyamoto Mermaid IP, the controller can mimmick the feel of water or fish scales.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Vinci said:

Standalone tablet?

It just raises basic logical problems. Massively increasing costs, taking resources away from the console itself which Nintendo will be very sensitive about in the first place, and you would be bundling 2 completely different experiences to sell as one thing.

It would be as odd and unlikely as Apple giving you an iPad with your Apple TV.

Krev said:
Pocks idea was a great one. Very practical, and I can imagine it helping out the social/online functions as well as gameplay in some games.
If they could put simple head tracking in the tablet for some kind of pseudo holographic effect extending into your room, this thing could seriously impress.

You mean the coffee table tablet idea? I have problems with it. There's no good way to make that device work in a group setting. If its going to work, its going to have to integrate into party games. Its gotta fascilitate local 2-4 person play.

Zarovitch

I remember a dev who said about the revolution that it was not a portale nor an home console, maybe he talk about the prototype of this new console.

But i can't find who said this.

Chao said:

imagine Phantasy Star Online 2 on the Cafe with a controller with the touchscreen acting as a keyboard. I can type really fast on a 3.5" ipod touch screen, so at 6", I should be able to type messages blazingly fast.

or voice chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom