• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that the level of graphics will be commensurate with the price point. You can always have better if you are willing to pay for it. The thing is how much are people willing to pay.

Rich!

jarosh said:
i'm thinking that nintendo itself is done with metroid for quite a while... after how spectacularly other m flopped.

It did flop pretty badly...but the actual game was really good. Then again though, I didn't watch any cutscenes. Whenever one came on, I switched over to Dave. (yes americans, we have a TV station called Dave in the UK).

Retro said:
Totally true, beat it again a few months back. Will probably be a while before I want to go through it again. Super Metroid though, I'm considering a replay of that soon.
I'm still working my way through the trilogy. Played through all of the games when they released but just got the trilogy a while back so I haven't had the time to play it (loving the Wii controls on Prime 1 & 2).

Also thinking of getting Super Metroid on the VC so I can play through it again as well. :D

Sorry for the OT!

Vestal said:
I still don't understand this. Someone please enlighten me.

If the rumor about performance is true, how does Nintendo really expect to sell this thing? "A notch above 360 performance". I mean, anything below 1.5 to 2x better than currentgen is basically shooting yourself in the foot. Particularly because, say they release in 2012, u know that 2 years later you will have the next xbox and PS which will be many times stronger than their current incarnation, and then they are left once again as the lower powered console.

If they can't really shock and awe us at E3 with visuals, they will be relegated to playing catch up to current gen consoles. Thats basically what they would be doing, hitting a reset button and playing catchup to the other two consoles, if infact it is only marginally more powerful than the 360.

They did pretty well with wii. General audience is not from gaming board.

antonz

ShockingAlberto said:
Honestly, the only stories I really even kind of believe are the GI and IGN ones.

Everything else appeared conveniently after those.
01net is worth following just to see what happens. They do have sources but its very obvious their Nintendo leaking source is no where near the quality of their Sony leaking source or at least no where near willing to spill to the level of detail that the Sony source is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ShockingAlberto said:
Honestly, the only stories I really even kind of believe are the GI and IGN ones.

Everything else appeared conveniently after those.

The French site does have the fact that they nailed the NGP specs going for it.

antonz said:
01net is worth following just to see what happens. They do have sources but its very obvious their Nintendo leaking source is no where near the quality of their Sony leaking source or at least no where near willing to spill to the level of detail that the Sony source is.

As evidenced by the never-ending supply of "PlayStation Phone" (Xperia Play) leaks and NGP/PSP2 leaks, I think it's safe to say that Sony is really far more of a leaky faucet than Nintendo is.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:
A "notch" could be anything.
At worst, is the R700 rumor, which is two generations above the 360. Which means it would curb stomp the 360.
But I think they'll go with something newer that's faster, cheaper and consumes less power (in the 5xxx family).

I hate to always be 'this person' but using a more recent architecture tells us nothing about its performance vs 360's GPU. All these architectures will scale to any performance range Nintendo wants - lower, the same, higher than 360. Much higher if they wanted and could fit it in there.

There's nothing inherent or implied about performance in the architecture. However, I'd like to think something like a 320 or 480 shader ALU configuration would be reasonable at least even with low power requirements. That would be a decent bit more powerful than Xenos, although whether a dev would consider it a notch more or significantly more might be a matter of opinion...

Fuel, meet fire:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26104

gofreak said:
I hate to always be 'this person' but using a more recent architecture tells us nothing about its performance vs 360's GPU. All these architectures will scale to any performance range Nintendo wants - lower, the same, higher than 360. Much higher if they wanted and could fit it in there.

There's nothing inherent or implied about performance in the architecture. However, I'd like to think something like a 320 or 480 shader ALU configuration would be reasonable at least even with low power requirements. That would be a decent bit more powerful than Xenos, although whether a dev would consider it a notch more or significantly more might be a matter of opinion...

Well, whatever Nintendo uses, it will be custom, of course.
But being in line with a 4xxx or 5xxx means even at a lower end, it's more powerful than the 360.
If they are really courting third parties and hardcore gamers, they won't skimp on the power.

jarosh

richisawesome said:
It did flop pretty badly...but the actual game was really good. Then again though, I didn't watch any cutscenes. Whenever one came on, I switched over to Dave. (yes americans, we have a TV station called Dave in the UK).
the game itself was pretty damn shitty too, not just the story. but that's besides the point, god knows i've ranted enough about it in the official thread. it didn't sell and what nintendo's taking home from this is one thing: nobody wants metroid.

From The Dust said:
Retro working on a new game? no shit. there is nothing there that says anything about Cafe (or any console for that matter). that isn't much fuel

Retro has actually been heavily recruiting staff lately. A new console with much more power would probably require them to expand. This could also mean that Retro is working on multiple titles at a time now, and we could start seeing something frequently from the little Texas studio.

Vestal

crazy monkey said:
They did pretty well with wii. General audience is not from gaming board.

Totally different set of circumstances.

The Wiis selling point was the controller, and it went up against two new consoles. However this is Nintendo going at it alone, and unless this touch controller is as much of a hook as the Wii controller, then forget about it.

It will be more expensive than the 360, and probably than the PS3. It better show off some pretty radical visuals to be able to hook people back in.

Rich!

MYE said:

DKCR was indeed an abomination...until I used the homebrew classic controller code and played it with this:

pa1129113.jpg

It was pure bliss.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gamer @ Heart said:
Nope. Skyward sword is the swan song for Wii like TP was for GC. Nintendo has moved on.

Who said it had to be on Wii?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:
Well, whatever Nintendo uses, it will be custom, of course.
But being in line with a 4xxx or 5xxx means even at a lower end, it's more powerful than the 360.

The very lowest end they may be, but there are 4xxx and 5xxx GPUs less powerful than Xenos, AFAIK. And indeed being a custom chip, Nintendo's variant can be anything...I certainly think it will be more powerful than Xenos, but the gap could be anything really. The architecture doesn't imply a certain level of 'gap'.

richisawesome said:
DKC2 is indeed the greatest. Such an amazing game, although some will disagree.

DKCR would have been much more acceptable without the annoying awful, shoe horned motion controls. I like Motion controls when done right, but there are certain games where the absolutely don't belong and DKCR was most definitely one of them.

M74

This:

-- Nintendo is kissing third party ****s with this console.
-- Expect Nintendo to roll out the red carpet for third parties so their games don’t get overshadowed. Nintendo has been preaching to third parties that third parties won’t get screwed this time around, so if you’re expecting a ton of amazing first party games at launch…well…think again. Nintendo wants a launch that creates confidence in third parties again so expect very few first party games at launch similar to the 3DS.

Clearly conflicts with this:

-- Nintendo is thinking about launching Zelda: Skyward Sword around the same time as Wii 2 since Wii 2 is backwards compatible with Wii 1 games. They want to follow the same strategy when they launched Pokemon Black/White when 3DS was coming out.

Also:

-- Almost positive that we’ll be seeing Pikmin in some shape or form.

If that isn't GAF -> Internet -> GAF, I don't know what is.

DeathbyVolcano said:
I'd agree with this if it weren't, you know, wrong.

If you can actually present a reasonable argument as to why you disagree, as I did with my points of view, you might as well have said nothing because you have contributed nothing.

[Nintex]

Yep some conflicting statements. In any case I find it strange that Nintendo hasn't denied these rumors about the new console. They used to rush to the scene to say that the Wii had a long life ahead of it. It seems that all you can get is some 'we don't comment on rumors' responses from the helpdesk people. As far as I'm aware Reggie or other representatives haven't commented on this. Maybe Miyamoto had something to say in Paris this week, but those interviews are without a doubt under embargo or heavily controlled/censored by Nintendo's PR team.

ShockingAlberto said:

I wills say that as objectively as I can rate it, its an 8/10 game interms of being well contructed, but it is still completely unenjoyable. I feel the same way about the God of War games. Well made, but still shit.

Mortrialus said:
In that it is well made, but still unenjoyable. I feel the same way about the God of War games. Well made, but still shit.
I don't think actively employing cognitive dissonance makes for a very compelling argument.

MYE

Mortrialus said:
If you can actually present a reasonable argument as to why you disagree, as I did with my points of view, you might as well have said nothing because you have contributed nothing.

I loved the level design, i loved the presentation, i loved the gameplay mechanics and what they did with new and old ideas and i had no problem whatsoever with the use of motion controls in this game. They are quite enjoyable, actually.

All in all, amazing game the 90% of whatever gets hyped out there should want to sacrifice their left nuts to be as good.

There

antonz

M74 said:
This:

Also:

If that isn't GAF -> Internet -> GAF, I don't know what is.
Actually they originated the pikmin story that gaf picked up on. Though as I said the list really doesnt have anything stand out to make it real or fantasy its mostly no shit stuff

M74 said:
This:

I'm not so sure. It allows them to join the hype without hurting third parties presence on the new platform.

What it really goes against is this that Wii 2 is coming out next year and SS is most definitely coming out this year. There can be no doubt.

[Nintex] said:
Yep some conflicting statements. In any case I find it strange that Nintendo hasn't denied these rumors about the new console. They used to rush to the scene to say that the Wii had a long life ahead of it. It seems that all you can get is some 'we don't comment on rumors' responses from the helpdesk people. As far as I'm aware Reggie or other representatives haven't commented on this. Maybe Miyamoto had something to say in Paris this week, but those interviews are without a doubt under embargo or heavily controlled/censored by Nintendo's PR team.

The utter, deafening silence from all branches of Nintendo strongly suggests that the rumours are broadly true (new console, unveiled at E3 etc.) even if the details are incorrect in places.

They're basically sitting back and letting the gaming press run riot in a way that could have - I'd imagine - some fairly serious implications for their stock, among other things, and I can't imagine they'd do that if there was no truth to be found here.

gerg

Mortrialus said:
I wills say that as objectively as I can rate it, its an 8/10 game interms of being well contructed, but it is still completely unenjoyable. I feel the same way about the God of War games. Well made, but still shit.

But, like, didn't you say that the controls were bad, the music was bad (or at least not as good as it should have been), and that the levels weren't as interesting as previous DKC games for various reasons?

If so, then how is the game "well made"?

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think actively employing cognitive dissonance makes for a very compelling argument.

There are plenty of things that have a fantastic amount of artistry and/or well executed craftmanship, but that doesn't necessarily make them enjoyable.

gerg said:
But, like, didn't you say that the controls were bad, the music was bad (or at least not as good as it should have been), and that the levels weren't as interesting as previous DKC games for various reasons?

If so, then how is the game "well made"?

Nope. I actually said none of that. I said it was crushed under the weight of its superior predecessor , DKC2, which I will say still holds up as a 10/10 game and is infinitely more enjoyable. The game still "works" as a game despite my dislike of it. I still see no reason why anyone who has played DKC2 would consider it an acceptable addition to the franchise.

antonz

Nintendo has several times to various press released the usual anticipated statement

"We do not comment on rumor and speculation."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom