• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Cosmozone said:
The golden rule for Nintendo rumors seems to be:
- If they sound positive, they're total bullshit.
- If they sound negative but not trollish, they turn out true.
- The more rumors there are the higher is the percentage of bullshit.

So I'm cautious.
it's like you dove into my mind and took out my thoughts. Like, you extracted them

antonz

apana said:
What are the ways Nintendo could save money on HD development? I'm sure they have been looking into it. How do PC devs have low costs? For certain 2D games they could probably get away with just having an upgraded verion of their old engine. 3D Zelda and Mario will have to start from scratch.

I think we would need more info on what they have done with their engines over time. Nintendo may very well have changed things up to scale well for HD. We know a ton of texture work they have done etc in Wii games is well beyond the capabilities of the wii as far as presentation goes.

apana

I mean can a developer save more money if for example they use the extra power to brute force 1080p and 60 fps as opposed to using that power for more "cinematic" effects?

Graphics Horse said:
Wh.. why?

I'm not an expert on this but don't they build new engines when they make new consoles?

AceBandage said:
Their Wii engines could be upgraded for HD development. Just like their N64 engines were fully upgraded for GC development.

Oh I see. Is that what all developers do? Would that limit them in any ways?

apana said:
What are the ways Nintendo could save money on HD development? I'm sure they have been looking into it. How do PC devs have low costs? For certain 2D games they could probably get away with just having an upgraded verion of their old engine. 3D Zelda and Mario will have to start from scratch.

The same way they've saved money on development throughout their history? They've survived - and thrived - through multiple generational leaps, so I can't see why the jump to HD-level development should cause them too much trouble, especially since they've had years to prepare for it and to watch as mature tools and techniques emerged. They'll likely strike a balance between modest leaps for certain titles, and invest heavily in flagship games, then use the experience, tools and assets from those titles in sequels and other titles and bring costs down further.

If there's any company who I'd expect to manage a generational transition with relative ease, and to manage costs tightly while doing it, it's Nintendo.

FunkyPajamas said:
Not necessarily, didn't the head of NOE deny the DS Lite (was it the Lite?) even one or two days before the official unveiling?

In my opinion these days nothing a company says or does (either denying or keeping silent) about a product's existence should be taken as an indicator of such. Except of course for the company coming right out to announce the existence of said product.

It was NoE, and it was the Lite.

The reason I mentioned stock was that we're coming up to an investors meeting, and to allow these kind of rumours to run and run leading up to that would seem to be rather bad business.

antonz

apana said:
I mean can a developer safe more money if for example they use the extra power to brute force 1080p and 60 fps as opposed to using that power for more "cinematic" effects?
The extra power could certainly be dedicated to stabilizing graphics that may not be as stable on the others or improving things like framerate etc. IGN says 1080P 60FPS is supposedly the capability of the system. If they can handle that steadily its already a great improvement over this gen where the biggest game of the generation have trouble reaching 720P.

linkboy

thefro said:
The Y/X buttons are concave on the SNES controller so that you can tell the difference between them an A/B by feel. That's not the case with the Super Famicom controllers, where all the buttons are convex.

I know, I have SF controllers and use them as my regular SNES controllers. Internally, the controllers are even the same. The only difference is the US controller has a longer cord. I took my US and Japanese controllers apart and swapped the circuit boards and it works just fine.

However, that's a moot point. Did anyone have any problem telling the difference between the fact buttons on the Playstation controller, they're all convex and had shapes instead of letters. We adjusted just fine, and would have if the US SNES had gotten the Japanese\European controller.

A.KU.MU

Banned
AceBandage said:
While I love Metroid Prime, I'd like to see Retro tackle an adventure game.

Indeed. Maybe something like this; The game takes place in
space with Samus as the protagonist. A good name would be Metroid Prime 4.

Metroid Prime Trilogy = First-person action-adventure

;)

A.KU.MU said:
Indeed. Maybe something like this; The game takes place in
space with Samus as the protagonist. A good name would be Metroid Prime 4.

Metroid Prime Trilogy = First-person action-adventure

;)

I was thinking more set in a post modern world, not quite that scifi.

Rich!

J-Rock said:
Retro + F-Zero

please be true. If it is, it will push retro even further to god-tier

three critically acclaimed FPS sci-fi adventures, then one incredible 2D platformer and then jumping straight to (a most likely incredible) super fast HD racer?

awesome shit

edit - i would also settle for a Retro HD zelda.

Doorman

From The Dust said:
here are some Retro rumors for your ass:
Those aren't rumors, they're lies. Since when has "everyone" agreed on what they want Retro to make?

It sure as hell isn't the StarTropics reboot that I want, so "everyone" is patently false.

Edit: That we've already gotten four different responses within five posts just proves my point. :p

Adam Prime said:
All I know is that Vitality Sensor HD is going to be awesome!!
Yea, vitality sensor gonna own. That plus the fact that you no longer need a tv to play will put this system a top the sales chart mountain.

Why do people always request Star Tropics when a new game by Retro gets mentioned? I never played the original but what's so special about it?

Anyways since GameFreak isn't likely to ever return to the IP, GIVE ME DRILL DOZER MUTHEFUCKERS.

Doorman said:
Those aren't rumors, they're lies. Since when has "everyone" agreed on what they want Retro to make?

It sure as hell isn't the StarTropics reboot that I want, so "everyone" is patently false.

Edit: That we've already gotten four different responses within five posts just proves my point. :p

dude its zelda i already said

Dissonance said:
Why do people always request Star Tropics when a new game by Retro gets mentioned? I never played the original but what's so special about it?

Anyways since GameFreak isn't likely to ever return to the IP, GIVE ME DRILL DOZER MUTHEFUCKERS.

It's Zelda, if it was more an RPG and setting in a weird semi futuristic world... and you fought with YoYos.

mattx5

So Retro is working on F-Zero, Starfox or Zelda. I think they'd be best suited to Starfox. Zelda should never go outside EAD and F-Zero would work if done by an appropriate third party like the Amusement Vision arrangement.

It'd also be interesting to see Retro develop an original IP FPS, though they might be a bit worn out on that after the Prime series.

Dissonance said:

Its annoying, Star Trop fans are like that. Plus most everybody knows of that rumor from a reputable source that puts Retro working in the next version of Snake Rattle 'n' Roll.

1-D_FTW

mattx5 said:
So Retro is working on F-Zero, Starfox or Zelda. I think they'd be best suited to Starfox. Zelda should never go outside EAD and F-Zero would work if done by an appropriate third party like the Amusement Vision arrangement.

It'd also be interesting to see Retro develop an original IP FPS, though they might be a bit worn out on that after the Prime series.

I disagree. I think Zelda going to Retro would be the desperate jump-start it needs. Would the people who just want the same Zelda remade over and over object? I'm sure they would. But they're becoming a real minority.

EDIT: What year am I in? Retro I meant!

1-D_FTW

Jason's Ultimatum said:
If Zelda went to Rare, I'd shit in a pre-schooler's shoes during nap time.

LOL

Good god, that was a horrible typo.

And even in Rare's heyday, I would have hated the idea. I don't know where that slip came from.

DimmuBurgerKing said:
The Retro rumor is interesting. Since it's "something everyone wants them to do," I suppose we can count "new IP" out, sadly. Heh, Metroid Dread? Star Fox?
Yea, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll was long over due. Nintendo needs this property resurrected or they wont make it next gen.

Akai

DimmuBurgerKing said:
The Retro rumor is interesting. Since it's "something everyone wants them to do," I suppose we can count "new IP" out, sadly. Heh, Metroid Dread? Star Fox?

Actually, I thought the (at least vocal minority) consensus was that most would prefer to see a new IP...

I personally don't care. Whatever they decide to do will just end up as awesome as the rest of their games...

AceBandage said:
Why does Rare continue to exist?
I mean, that Kinect Sports game looks horrible...
They continue to exist specting Nintendo to come back knocking to their door with the tale between the legs, since Rare are now the Kinect hot shots. After the release of Kinect Sports, the 360 has been outselling the Wii worldwide.

gerg

Refreshment.01 said:
They continue to exist specting Nintendo to come back knocking to their door with the tale between the legs, since Rare are now the Kinect hot shots. After the release of Kinect Sports, the 360 has been outselling the Wii worldwide.

Joke post?

Doorman

AceBandage said:
It's Zelda, if it was more an RPG and setting in a weird semi futuristic world... and you fought with YoYos.
I wouldn't even really say that it's that much more RPG than Zelda, outside of the fact that you had to talk to some NPCs to progress sometimes.

Personally, to me it's more the thought that I'd like to see Nintendo produce a large-scale adventure game outside of Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I still love Zelda, but I have grown admittedly-tired of some of the things that are re-used there, particularly with regards to the mainstay items and the room-puzzle solutions tied to those items. StarTropics at its roots shares similarities to Zelda and features an interesting and somewhat comical setting. And since it's a property that hasn't been visited in so long, they could take a lot of liberties and really experiment with something new.

Or I'll tell you what, if you want to can the StarTropics idea and either give me a new Nazo no Murasamejou or Joy Mech Fight, I'll be satisfied with that too.

...Or a massively multiplayer online Balloon Fight. Really I just think that if Nintendo wants to break out of their "old mainstays" and produce something new, there'd be a lot of benefit in revitalizing a lot of games they created back in the NES days and never turned to again. Seems to be working for Kid Icarus, so why not?

Rich!

Refreshment.01 said:

That's not just absurd, that's super absurd. When Kinect Sports starts doing 30 million plus worldwide, then maybe you might have a point.

Anyway, there's a reason that Nintendo let Rare go so easily.

RevDM said:
Do you think Nintendo will allow non G-rated games like GTA?

Christ, is this another joke post? I can't tell anymore.

Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube
Killer 7 - Gamecube
Manhunt - Wii
MadWorld - Wii
GTA Chinatown Wars - DS

Just a few small examples off the top of my head of M rated/18 rated games.

gerg said:
Joke post?
That depends, if you are one of those people that laughs when facing the facts. Which i dont think you are bro :D

richisawesome said:
That's not just absurd, that's super absurd. When Kinect Sports starts doing 30 million plus worldwide, then maybe you might have a point.

Anyway, there's a reason that Nintendo let Rare go so easily.
Because they were failing hard with the GameCube and needed money desperatly to not go third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom