• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

antonz said:
Nintendo has several times to various press released the usual anticipated statement

"We do not comment on rumor and speculation."

Nintendo say that every single time and have done for the past decade, even when the info has turned out to be true...so yeah, totally anticipated. I don't know why people even bother trying to confirm stuff with them anymore. haha.

Mortrialus said:
I wills say that as objectively as I can rate it, its an 8/10 game interms of being well contructed, but it is still completely unenjoyable. I feel the same way about the God of War games. Well made, but still shit.

It's understandable to feel that way about a game but then that just means that it's not the game that is at fault.

antonz said:
Nintendo has several times to various press released the usual anticipated statement

"We do not comment on rumor and speculation."

Have they? Perhaps I've just been reading the wrong pieces, but I hadn't see them make any comment yet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mortrialus said:
There are plenty of things that have a fantastic amount of artistry and/or well executed craftmanship, but that doesn't necessarily make them enjoyable.
If your argument is that it has all the components of a great game but for you the 'feel' is wrong then that isn't a great argument for why other people are wrong for liking it.

Nintendawg

Neo Member
Mortrialus said:
I wills say that as objectively as I can rate it, its an 8/10 game interms of being well contructed, but it is still completely unenjoyable. I feel the same way about the God of War games. Well made, but still shit.

Dude. That's called having an opinion.
You don't like it, but it's good. You even said it yourself that the games were well made. You just didn't enjoy them.

SpecX

Geeze this thread grew quick. Are we at that point again where new consoles are hitting the scene? I hope this is still just a rumor and if it's true, Nintendo isn't launching till the end of next year. I can't afford a new console yet and I still feel this generation has so much more to give.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Mortrialus said:
If you can actually present a reasonable argument as to why you disagree, as I did with my points of view, you might as well have said nothing because you have contributed nothing.

Guys, this thread isn't about DKCR.

So when do we expect Nikkei to spill the beans on this thing?

Cosmonaut X said:
Have they? Perhaps I've just been reading the wrong pieces, but I hadn't see them make any comment yet.

Honestly, I think some sites report that response without even bothering to contact anyone, I think I remember this being proved once.

Rich!

SpecX said:
Geeze this thread grew quick. Are we at that point again where new consoles are hitting the scene? I hope this is still just a rumor and if it's true, Nintendo isn't launching till the end of next year. I can't afford a new console yet and I still feel this generation has so much more to give.

It's going to be out next year, 100%. We'll obviously find out more details in the coming month though.

poppabk said:
If your argument is that it has all the components of a great game but for you the 'feel' is wrong then that isn't a great argument for why other people are wrong for liking it.

This. It's basically another way to word the whole soul&magic bullshit.

KevinCow

Banned
Man, if DKCR2 is a Cafe launch game, I will shit my pants in happiness.

Or you know what, DKCR was a gorgeous game even with the Wii's limitations. Just make DKCR2 a Wii game that's "Cafe-enhanced" or something. A regular Wii game that can be played on a regular Wii, but is rendered in HD if you play on Cafe.

gerg

Mortrialus said:
Nope. I actually said none of that. I said it was crushed under the weight of its superior predecessor , DKC2, which I will say still holds up as a 10/10 game and is infinitely more enjoyable. The game still "works" as a game despite my dislike of it. I still see no reason why anyone who has played DKC2 would consider it an acceptable addition to the franchise.

You said, and I quote:

Regarding motion controls said:
They don't jell with the game, they are blatantly shoe horned in, and they are extremely distracting and unnatural feeling.

Is this "bad" or not?

Regarding music said:
Too many of the songs are remixes from Donkey Kong Country 1 and the original songs are extremely forgettable. I can't recall a single one.

Is this "bad" or not?

Admittedly, the extent of your criticism regarding the minecart levels seems to be simply that they are unenjoyable.

I agree, on the face of it, with a distinction between how "good" and how "enjoyable" a game is, such that a bad game could, in theory, be enjoyable. (Hence, perhaps the concept of a "guilty pleasure".) I just don't think that your own words provide much of an argument to call the game "good".

Of course, the biggest objective to this distinction is when a game's goal is to be enjoyable, and thus "enjoyability" and "quality" may be intrinsically linked.

KevinCow said:
Man, if DKCR2 is a Cafe launch game, I will shit my pants in happiness.

Or you know what, DKCR was a gorgeous game even with the Wii's limitations. Just make DKCR2 a Wii game that's "Cafe-enhanced" or something. A regular Wii game that can be played on a regular Wii, but is rendered in HD if you play on Cafe.

Hopefully they don't half-ass backwards compatibility. Plenty of games would look amazing at HD resolutions if properly upscaled.

TAS

richisawesome said:
DKCR was indeed an abomination...until I used the homebrew classic controller code and played it with this:

pa1129113.jpg

It was pure bliss.

Wow..that's amazing. Where can I pick one up from?

gerg

TAS said:
Wow..that's amazing. Where can I pick one up from?

It's a promotional product from the Club Nintendo rewards scheme, which, IIRC, may have only been available in Europe and Japan.

So I'd check eBay.

Are we at the point where we can start making up our own rumors? This thread is getting boring. Perhaps we should start posting our software want lists for this thing.

Raide

Holy Order Sol said:
Hopefully they don't half-ass backwards compatibility. Plenty of games would look amazing at HD resolutions if properly upscaled.

This will be the make or break for me. Going by some of their VC releases, PAL land could get some rough emulation if that is how they are planning it. If they intend to have Wii guts inside and use the UberWii upscaler, it will depend on how well they do it.

gerg said:
You said, and I quote:

Is this "bad" or not?

Is this "bad" or not?

Admittedly, the extent of your criticism regarding the minecart levels seems to be simply that they are unenjoyable.

I agree, on the face of it, with a distinction between how "good" and how "enjoyable" a game is, such that a bad game could, in theory, be enjoyable. (Hence, perhaps the concept of a "guilty pleasure".) I just don't think that your own words provide much of an argument to call the game "good".

Of course, the biggest objective to this distinction is when a game's goal is to be enjoyable, and thus "enjoyability" and "quality" may be intrinsically linked.

If you or anyone else wants to continue this topic, we're taking it here.

Moving on, I still find the idea of a console controller with a 6'' increase to be absurd.

linkboy

gerg said:
It's a promotional product from the Club Nintendo rewards scheme, which, IIRC, may have only been available in Europe and Japan.

So I'd check eBay.

It was only available in Japan (at least to my knowledge), and since it was a Club Nintendo item (and a limited one at that). It can get pretty pricey. I got mine from play-asia (they managed to get ahold of 2) and it cost me $80.

Was worth every penny though.

elrechazao said:
You don't think that a technically well made game can be unfun, or vice versa?
Sure. I feel that way about the first Uncharted.

I think there is a massive gulf between "This is an 8/10" and "This is an abomination."

antonz

linkboy said:
It was only available in Japan (at least to my knowledge), and since it was a Club Nintendo item (and a limited one at that). It can get pretty pricey. I got mine from play-asia (they managed to get ahold of 2) and it cost me $80.

Europe and Australia both have access to it now while NA suffers in pain :(

Sadist

linkboy said:

It's also available in Europe. Costs about 7000 stars though :(

Cosmonaut X said:
The utter, deafening silence from all branches of Nintendo strongly suggests that the rumours are broadly true (new console, unveiled at E3 etc.) even if the details are incorrect in places.
Not necessarily, didn't the head of NOE deny the DS Lite (was it the Lite?) even one or two days before the official unveiling?

In my opinion these days nothing a company says or does (either denying or keeping silent) about a product's existence should be taken as an indicator of such. Except of course for the company coming right out to announce the existence of said product.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Kansasdude2009 said:
Retrostudios started working on a Wii 2 game. It is NOT Metroid. Retro is done with Metroid.

I hate you Retro... I hate you.

*looks at Metroid Prime: Trilogy*

I love you Retro... I love you.

comedy bomb said:
Are we at the point where we can start making up our own rumors? This thread is getting boring. Perhaps we should start posting our software want lists for this thing.
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest XI
Kingdom Hearts 3
Resident Evil 6
Monster Hunter 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
Crysis 3
Mother 4
Etc

Who gon check me boo?

antonz

gerg said:
*ahem*

http://japaneseretrogamesstation.com/images/snes_us.jpg[/i][/QUOTE]
yeah yeah the US version didnt have the fruity buttons but its still identical in structure. Japan just hates NOA because Reggie is too cool for School

Instro

Sammy Samusu said:
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest XI
Kingdom Hearts 3
Resident Evil 6
Monster Hunter 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
Crysis 3
Mother 4
Etc

Who gon check me boo?

Dude your forgetting Chrono Break.

linkboy

gerg said:

Other then the color of the face buttons, he's right. Its the exact same shell for all 3 terrorities.

I have a Super Famicom that I got while I was in Japan and I use those controllers with my US SNES 2 (the redesigned one).

Really wish the US had gotten the original design, its much better.

Hell, NOA could release that controller stateside as is and people would be happy. The color of the buttons (even though its better) really doesn't mean anything.

gerg

antonz said:
yeah yeah the US version didnt have the fruity buttons but its still identical in structure.

Well, sure, but considering the entire concept of this reward rests on nostalgia I imagine getting the details right is quite significant.

linkboy said:
Other then the color of the face buttons, he's right. Its the exact same shell for all 3 terrorities.

And that's what I was referencing - the colour of the face buttons.

thefro

linkboy said:

I have a Super Famicom that I got while I was in Japan and I use those controllers with my US SNES 2 (the redesigned one).

Really wish the US had gotten the original design, its much better.

Hell, NOA could release that controller stateside as is and people would be happy. The color of the buttons (even though its better) really doesn't mean anything.

The Y/X buttons are concave on the SNES controller so that you can tell the difference between them an A/B by feel. That's not the case with the Super Famicom controllers, where all the buttons are convex.

apana

What are the ways Nintendo could save money on HD development? I'm sure they have been looking into it. How do PC devs have low costs? For certain 2D games they could probably get away with just having an upgraded verion of their old engine. 3D Zelda and Mario will have to start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom