• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

RevDM said:
I had the notion that nintendo wasn't savvy about stealing cars and banging hookers games.

They don't make them themselves, but they've been quite happy to authorise, publish and even promote them for a decade and over now, as far back as Conker's Bad Fur Day (which had fully uncensored language and dialog, unlike the xbox remake!).

They made a big thing out of GTA Chinatown Wars on the DS and promoted it quite well at E3 and onwards - and this is a game that has not only hookers, but drug dealing based minigames.

Bentendo

RevDM said:
I had the notion that nintendo wasn't savvy about stealing cars and banging hookers games.

Rockstar just recently released Chinatown Wars on the DS and Nintendo was very supportive of it. I don't see why they would have any problem with the series on their home console, especially since it has the potential to make a lot of cash.

EDIT: GOD DOMMIT RICH.

gerg said:
Not to discount the massive success that Microsoft has had since they launched Kinect, but its 10 million (or so) sales only come after the 84+ million sales that the Wii has had (and, of course, the four or five years that passed between the two launches for Microsoft to realise that motion controls were a worthwhile venture). Of course, such a comparison seems laughable because we are comparison a complementary peripheral to a home console, but therein lies the point: as a peripheral Kinect has had amazing success, but it still remains one.

As for 360's expanded sales, there's no chance of it overtaking the Wii before the Wii 2 (or perhaps even the Xbox 720) are launched. The generation will most likely end in the state that it is in now.

Lastly, while Rare and Harmonix have been able to create a couple of million sellers on Kinect between them, the sales of their respective titles aren't even close to similar titles on the Wii. I don't think that Nintendo looks with shame at the, what, two or three million (?) sales of Kinect Sports considering the 26+ million sales of Wii Sports Resort.

So, lol.
Good post, informative and filled with interesting sales facts. But excuse me because you are overlooking one important thing.

A Kinect with all the R&D costs, promotion, transport and comissions costs MS 10 U.S. american dollars to make and its sold for a 150 of the same american dollars. So even if MS doesnt sale the same number of units by the end of this generation, i predict they are on track to beat the combined revenues of both the DS and Wii.

And to not derail this any more (apologies to evryone) i predict the next Nintendo console will include Kinect from the Israeli company.

plex

Bentendo said:
Rockstar just recently released Chinatown Wars on the DS and Nintendo was very supportive of it. I don't see why they would have any problem with the series on their home console, especially since it has the potential to make a lot of cash.
And there were a lot GTA clones on the Wii. Scarface, Driver, The Godfather etc.

Doorman

I would've mentioned their support of GTA Chinatown Wars, but yeah that's been covered already.

RevDM said:
haha ok, I definitely stand mistaken. I was unaware these games existed. I blame marketing.
And see, this is exactly the sort of "marketing" that I hope (and it perhaps sounds like) Nintendo wants to counter in this next generation. People that actively follow Nintendo's consoles, the major enthusiasts, will know about these games, but that's a far minority compared to those that assume Nintendo prefers things to be "kiddy" thanks to ridiculous third party statements and a lack of marketing. It's part of why I don't think they can feature the Wii name on the new system if they're truly serious about courting the 'cores.

Bentendo

plex said:
And there were a lot GTA clones on the Wii. Scarface, Driver, The Godfather etc.

And lets not forget how proud Nintendo was to have Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube and subsequently the Wii.

The notion that Nintendo is against M-rated games on their systems is absolutely laughable. The reason why there are several more of these titles on the competing systems is simply because they perform better there. This could all change in the next generation.

richisawesome said:
Yeah. Nintendo even allowed Bukkake games on the Wii. Hows that for hardcore?

loli bukkake games actually. although it was soap. and you could feed them bananas in suggestive manners. (I'm not making this up)

Boney

Banned
Doorman said:
I would've mentioned their support of GTA Chinatown Wars, but yeah that's been covered already.

And see, this is exactly the sort of "marketing" that I hope (and it perhaps sounds like) Nintendo wants to counter in this next generation. People that actively follow Nintendo's consoles, the major enthusiasts, will know about these games, but that's a far minority compared to those that assume Nintendo prefers things to be "kiddy" thanks to ridiculous third party statements and a lack of marketing. It's part of why I don't think they can feature the Wii name on the new system if they're truly serious about courting the 'cores.
I was talking with a friend today and she said that in classes she did like uh other shit, and i went you should do like me and play mario kart in class. She asked me if nintendo still existed :(

and then went on to say that the GC sucked :(((((

at least she thinks the snes is cool

+1 for Platinum doing Star Fox, I can see it happening actually for Wii HD, Platinum doesn't seem keen on further Wii development (but then didn't MadWorld outsell Vanquish? Or just bomb less? ...)

And you know what would be fucking killer for Retro to do?

Revive SFA as Dinosaur Planet as it was meant to be sans Fox, in HD! *drool*

RevDM

Banned
Doorman said:

This is also why (in another thread) I was so opposed to a Wii2 or WiiHD etc. Now I am enlightened on the matter but there are a lot of people who still think there is a stigma attached to the name.

I vote Nintendo HD or NES 2 (Nintendo 2)

Once Nintendo announces WiiHD, please post "shit console, shit gfx, I'm gonna play the superior version on X360" because last time we praised the 3DS and now it's priced $250.

Learn something from it!

antonz

Sammy Samusu said:
Once Nintendo announces WiiHD, please post "shit console, shit gfx, I'm gonna play the superior version on X360" because last time we praised the 3DS and now it's priced $250.

Learn something from it!
On the plus side this time unless Nintendo duct tapes 5 PS3 togeather enough people will bitch and moan that its doomed anyways

RevDM said:
...but what does that have to do with those games not driving system sales on Nintendo consoles?

You appear to be having two different arguments here.

I'm aware there are some titles, I'm not arguing that. What I'm trying to say is that, those types of titles aren't what sells the system, you know? It's mostly those cutesy family fun games right?

Let's say this is argument #1: Yo why's Nintendo systems got so many family games?

Do you think Nintendo will allow non G-rated games like GTA?

I was thinking more of the "BLOOD OMG HIS HEAD ROLLED OFF AND HIS EYE IS TWITCHING AND THE SPLATTER EFFECT WILL SURELY GIVE ME AIDS AND/OR HEPATITIS C"

This is argument #2: Yo why's Nintendo never lettin' no bloody adult games on their systems?

We have that squared away?

To argument #1: Yes, you are thinking in the right direction here. Nintendo consoles typically do not have as much in the the M-rated games library versus the competition. There's numerous reasons for this. There was a time where, yeah, Nintendo did kind of discourage it, but we're talking nearly thirty years ago or even as far as up through a bit of the N64-era if you want to pick out isolated incidents instead of corporate policy. A lot of it is mostly third party perception. Third parties like, say, Rockstar don't see Nintendo systems as appropriate audiences for their games. This can sometimes be analytical choices form publishers or outdated stereotypes, but that could be one reason those games don't appear that often.

There's also the argument that third parties merely follow whatever Nintendo does and Nintendo tends not to make M-Rated games. So without Nintendo opening that door for them, third parties don't want to take the risk.

To argument #2: Nintendo has, at best, a policy of refusing to license AO+ games (Adults Only). Both Sony and Microsoft have the same policy, though Microsoft of Japan had a brief love affair with advertising itself as the Cero Z library. They don't refuse to license M-rated games, they don't (or at least, no longer) discourage M-rated games from being on their systems, third parties are free to create what they want. There is no "allowing" or "disallowing" past the licensing phase except in the aforementioned case of Adults Only games.

Akai

Boney said:
I was talking with a friend today and she said that in classes she did like uh other shit, and i went you should do like me and play mario kart in class. She asked me if nintendo still existed :(

I take it she doesn't leave the house much...

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Bentendo said:
I should NOT have Googled that... 0_o

Especially without safe search on.

Bukkake games on the Wii -> Images = Fire Emblem - Bukkake Emblem as a result lol.

RevDM

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
...but what does that have to do with those games not driving system sales on Nintendo consoles?

You appear to be having two different arguments here.

Let's say this is argument #1: Yo why's Nintendo systems got so many family games?

This is argument #2: Yo why's Nintendo never lettin' no bloody adult games on their systems?

We have that squared away?

To argument #1: Yes, you are thinking in the right direction here. Nintendo consoles typically do not have as much in the the M-rated games library versus the competition. There's numerous reasons for this. There was a time where, yeah, Nintendo did kind of discourage it, but we're talking nearly thirty years ago or even as far as up through a bit of the N64-era if you want to pick out isolated incidents instead of corporate policy. A lot of it is mostly third party perception. Third parties like, say, Rockstar don't see Nintendo systems as appropriate audiences for their games. This can sometimes be analytical choices form publishers or outdated stereotypes, but that could be one reason those games don't appear that often.

There's also the argument that third parties merely follow whatever Nintendo does and Nintendo tends not to make M-Rated games. So without Nintendo opening that door for them, third parties don't want to take the risk.

To argument #2: Nintendo has, at best, a policy of refusing to license AO+ games (Adults Only). Both Sony and Microsoft have the same policy, though Microsoft of Japan had a brief love affair with advertising itself as the Cero Z library. They don't refuse to license M-rated games, they don't (or at least, no longer) discourage M-rated games from being on their systems, third parties are free to create what they want. There is no "allowing" or "disallowing" past the licensing phase except in the aforementioned case of Adults Only games.

I'm not going to read this. My questions were answered, thanks for typing it out though :D

Woffls

Is there any chance they'll announce a Zelda 25th limited edition of N6? 25th is next year for the US, right?

It goes without saying that I'd pay anything for it. Anything.

Doorman

Boney said:

Well if she literally had no idea that they were even still in business, then...well that's a very different problem than the people disregarding Nintendo for their young-skewed image.

As an aside, back in college Mario Kart Wii was a big hit in our house whenever people came over, and I swear almost every single one of them, even ones that weren't current gamers of any sort, brought up comparing it to their memories of playing Mario Kart 64. I never realized that MK64 was so far-reaching!

But back to the point, yeah, everybody already has a conception of the Wii brand and what it means. It would take a monumental marketing effort to change that, and even if they attempted it then people would still be upset at the brand suddenly meaning something that they hadn't expected. Better to come up with something new and start from the ground up so that there aren't any preconceived notions. And I'm still not sold on "Nintendo HD," it's not something that I find rolls off the tongue very easily to describe to people.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Doorman said:
in college Mario Kart Wii was a big hit

No kidding. I bought my Wii in and thats all my roommates wanted to play. At least they unlocked tons of shit for me that I might have missed.

Game-Biz

Woffls said:
It goes without saying that I'd pay anything for it. Anything.
6n1107NintendoPres-320-0-24604-20061107_170016-320x240.jpg

"You bet your ass you will."

RevDM

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Well that's rude.

*shrugs*

*goes back to playing Ninja Gaiden*

haha sorry man, just under a lot of pressure right now. came to gaf for relief and it sounded like you were starting an argument *adds to buddy list*

Boney said:
please say it's black

if you say 2... agh
It's Sigma actually.

I wanted to see what would happen if you got 99,999 essence in chapter 4.

Apparently nothing! But I did discover that enemies absolutely do not react if you have the camera facing the wall before the battle starts. So as long as the camera is never on them until they die, Ryu cuts them apart without them realizing it.

I do kind of wonder if the Wii 2 will get Ninja Gaiden 3. I mean, it makes sense. 2012 release, Tecmo and Nintendo are kind of buddy-buddy these days, but you never know.

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It's Sigma actually.

I wanted to see what would happen if you got 99,999 essence in chapter 4.

Apparently nothing! But I did discover that enemies absolutely do not react if you have the camera facing the wall before the battle starts. So as long as the camera is never on them until they die, Ryu cuts them apart without them realizing it.

I do kind of wonder if the Wii 2 will get Ninja Gaiden 3. I mean, it makes sense. 2012 release, Tecmo and Nintendo are kind of buddy-buddy these days, but you never know.
i just....

whyyyyyyyy

you even have a gurlfrieeeeend

did you get contra as suggested?

From The Dust said:
you remembered an obscure, Japan-only, loli eroge game from 2008. let that sink in :p

I research on lots of different games (mostly Wii :p) so I remember a lot of things (even the smallest, most obscure I can remember). :p

Boney said:
i just....

whyyyyyyyy

you even have a gurlfrieeeeend

did you get contra as suggested?
No, we played Sonic Colors and will probably play Guilty Party next.

We almost finished Colors but we both kind of went "Fuck this" at the first level of the final world.

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

We almost finished Colors but we both kind of went "Fuck this" at the first level of the final world.
please tell me it's no good

or i'll owe anihawk a vc game

plisssssss

ShockingAlberto said:

PFFT, you need the super special unlockable by getting all the red rings, said unlockable was MADE for that level!

A.KU.MU

Banned
Rumors said:
- Retro Studios working on game for Wii successor
- taking on “a project everyone wants us to do”
- information comes from two sources within Retro
- company was amongst the very first to receive a development kit
- have been working ever since on a new project for the Wii successor

Any thoughts on this?

Game-Biz

MisterHero said:
I hope Nintendo accepts souls as currency
article-1283976475872-0B17633E000005DC-463369_223x163.jpg

"Souls, you say?"

Shigeru-Miyamoto.jpg

By the way, I just realized that the word Devil, is like Demon and Evil combined into one word. Holy shit. Mind = Blown....

I'm losing my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom