• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Baiano19 said:
well, he did screwed up who the developer of OoT 3D was... but I still trust him. :D

No i didn't. The secret was that there was a co-developer doing the dirty work. Aonuma and Yokota announced they were doing work on behalf of EAD (Group No.3). So all that information was public. And not something I tried to debug or anything.

For all intent its a EAD Group No. 3 / Grezzo Games project. Like Steel Diver ws a EAD Group No.5 / Vitei Inc. project.

People often connate that one developer presence means the disinvolvement of another. But even since the late 80's, there have been multiple developer presences on one game.

Doorman said:
I don't recall off the top of my head if it's actually internally-developed or not, but you might want to keep an eye on Tower of Pandora.

It's not internally developed. I like the idea of an action game that uses the pointer, so I am keeping an eye on it though. Not that it'll ever get localized.

Krowley

EatChildren said:
So without having to dig through all of these pages, do we have any new, substantial rumours that hold any weight?

Or are we still in the "pull everything out of your arse" phase?

Shikamura Ninja, a well-known poster that's been on GAF forever with a good reputation for delivering reliable nintendo info posted this article with some interesting tidbits.

There is also a rumor that Retro are working on a game for the system that, "everybody's been wanting them to do," whatever that means.

edit// beaten :p

Big One

Banned
Freezie KO said:
I just want to play more internally-developed Nintendo games. Would they make a new action IP? Probably not. Might they integrate that into an existing franchise? Better possibility. It has nothing to do with schadenfreude.

Anyway, I'm sure tons of RE:Code Veronica fans scoffed at an "action-based" Resident Evil. Then RE4 came out and it blew away everyone's expectations and rejuvenated the series.

Even Zelda fans are asking for "something new." It's just a suggestion. Not that I think Zelda is going to become RE4, as awesome as that would be.
RE4 still had all of the elements the series is known for, however, kept in tact just with the added third-person shooter elements. To remove puzzles from Zelda would just make Zelda kind of pointless as a franchise. There's nothing to really do with it's formula...and without puzzles all that'll happen is this really repetitive and boring action adventure game.

Now I'm all for changing up Zelda's formula, but removing puzzles is the last thing you want to do. Imo I think puzzles should be integrated into the overworld design, and also have more enemies that force you to fight like the average Zelda boss as the common encounter for Link. The overworld structure definitely needs work since Ocarina of Time was a kind of awkward take on A Link to the Past's overworld using the limited hardware at hand. I think the Zelda devs need to try recreating something like that only with modern tech and design decisions.

So its been a generation. These rumors seem pretty accurate (Retro + the PS3 Engineer).

But are we really...REALLY.....REALLY back to talking about head tracking technology?

Refugio

Shikamaru Ninja said:
No i didn't. The secret was that there was a co-developer doing the dirty work. Aonuma and Yokota announced they were doing work on behalf of EAD (Group No.3). So all that information was public. And not something I tried to debug or anything.

For all intent its a EAD Group No. 3 / Grezzo Games project. Like Steel Diver ws a EAD Group No.5 / Vitei Inc. project.

so have you ever been wrong dude

Alright, new theory-

The screen will be a kindle/nook sort of device. Whatever game you play, the controller will automatically DL and display related fanfics, which you can take around with you to enrich your appreciation of the games when you're out and about. I've got a good feeling about this...

Krowley

GregLombardi said:
So its been a generation. These rumors seem pretty accurate (Retro + the PS3 Engineer).

But are we really...REALLY.....REALLY back to talking about head tracking technology?

The video I just found on youtube looked pretty fucking amazing, and it didn't even use anything but the tech in the wiimote and sensor bar to make it happen. No 3d glasses or anything like that. The effect was pretty amazing and it would be worth the effort since it wouldn't be very expensive to create.

this is also the second rumor posted in this thread about head tracking and a VR effect. There was another one very early on that was supposedly from an ubi employee. Everyone sort of dismissed it because it sounded to implausible and the source was kind of sketchy if I remember.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Alright, new theory-

The screen will be a kindle/nook sort of device. Whatever game you play, the controller will automatically DL and display related fanfics, which you can take around with you to enrich your appreciation of the games when you're out and about. I've got a good feeling about this...
Now I really don't want Sonic Generations for it.

But on that line of thought, a web browser in the controller would actually be kind of interesting.

It would never, ever happen, but we might not to be too far from a generation where someone would be crazy enough to do it.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
isys said:
so have you ever been wrong dude

Long time ago I had a buddy mention a story about Miyamoto checking out a new Donkey Kong game at Nintendo of America. And I thought it was a new Donkey Kong GameCube game from NST. It turned out to be an unannounced Mario vs Donkey Kong 2.

Another NST one is when i thought they were making Pilotwings Resort because of several copyrights and patents i started digging up. It ended up being Monster Games. But that was a close one!!!

Oh i got a tip about Factor 5 doing Pilotwings and Kid Icarus pilots for Nintendo. They both were canceled but assetts ended up hitting the net a bit later.

So sometimes you get information that is true but unproven or true but discombobulated some what.

JasonMCG said:
Why do people scoff at the concept of the core gamer? It's not a buzz word or marketing gimmick or anything like that, it's just the way it is. There are three types of gamers: casual, core and hardcore.
The fact is that none of those terms have concrete, accepted definitions. There have been no studies that have explored this or anything of the sort.

I don't understand how you can simply label people with those three terms. Almost no one is going to perfectly fit your own definition of one of those terms, and even then, it's only your definition.

Kevin

Log4Girlz said:
Ok well what game does everyone want them to make? I want them to make a Zelda game.

Zelda seems to be the primary one I have seen most talked about but I also saw mentions of Star Fox and Goldeneye. Don't recall hearing about any other titles that people wanted to see Retro make.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Long time ago I had a buddy mention a story about Miyamoto checking out a new Donkey Kong game at Nintendo of America. And I thought it was a new Donkey Kong GameCube game from NST. It turned out to be an unannounced Mario vs Donkey Kong 2.

Another NST one is when i thought they were making Pilotwings Resort because of several copyrights and patents i started digging up. It ended up being Monster Games. But that was a close one!!!

Oh i got a tip about Factor 5 doing Pilotwings and Kid Icarus pilots for Nintendo. They both were canceled but assetts ended up hitting the net a bit later.

So sometimes you get information that is true but unproven or true but discombobulated some what.

JIZZ. OF. GOLD.

linkboy

I want Retro to make the best possible game they can. I don't care what franchise or if its a new IP.

Retro is one of my favorite developers in this industry.

antonz

Retro I could see doing Starfox.

Zelda is too soon unless its going to be in development for several more years. The last time they tried to get their hands on Zelda they got shot down too I thought so just doesnt seem likely.

I think we will see Goldeneye end up on the 3DS although that will probably be Eurocom doing it unless they passed it off to N-Space

Chorazin

Krowley said:
The video I just found on youtube looked pretty fucking amazing, and it didn't even use anything but the tech in the wiimote and sensor bar to make it happen. No 3d glasses or anything like that. The effect was pretty amazing and it would be worth the effort since it wouldn't be very expensive to create.

this is also the second rumor posted in this thread about head tracking and a VR effect. There was another one very early on that was supposedly from an ubi employee. Everyone sort of dismissed it because it sounded to implausible and the source was kind of sketchy if I remember.
Holy fuck that video was crazy. I would love it if something like that was included in the new Wii!

Krowley said:

I remember that video now. it's more amazing than I remembered. VR head tracking need to be in the Cafe ;_;

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I could see Retro Studios doing Star Fox. F-Zero. Metroid Prime 4. Or even Star Tropics. Honestly.

It all depends how Nintendo sees it.

Personally, I want Retro to develop an original IP. They certainly deserve the chance at this point, and it would be a good opportunity for Nintendo to show they're serious about capturing the western audience, if that is indeed their goal. On the flip side, I definitely don't want another Metroid game from Retro, unless they can miraculously strip away all the layers of extraneous bullshit they've been piling on top of the formula. Best to funnel their talents into a new franchise that plays to all their strengths and talents.

evangd007 said:
LoZ for NES sold ~6.5 million
OoT for N64 sold ~7.6 million

Puzzles are, in fact, more popular than adventure and difficulty!

Source: Nintendo at GDC, by way of rpgamer.

This is a poor number comparison for these reasons... When LoZ sold 6.5 million it did so right after the video game collapse of the early 80s. Nintendo had a hard time even getting investors because of the state of the games industry. 6.5 million at this time was enormous and Zelda spawned a cartoon and all sorts of stuff. Its popularity continued into Zelda II which sold about 5 million even through a chip-shortage - the game was extremely difficult to get and people were driving all over the country to get a copy.

OoT sold 7.6 when gaming had already been revived and established, it was already living off the Zelda name, it was also one of the first adventure games to be released when 3D was still a novelty. But look at what happened to the "sequel", sales plummeted... why? because people didn't really like OoT so they didn't bother to buy the sequel.

Completely different situations here. Apples and Oranges.

robor

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I could see Retro Studios doing Star Fox. F-Zero. Metroid Prime 4. Or even Star Tropics. Honestly.

It all depends how Nintendo sees it.

It's just when they say it's a game we've been wanting them to make, I can't help but remember Miyamoto saying that he'd like to make a new Star Fox game......I really want it to be Star Fox : (

Though maybe Nintendo should leave that for Treasure instead.

Ridleyscott said:
This is a poor number comparison for these reasons... When LoZ sold 6.5 million it did so right after the video game collapse of the early 80s. Nintendo had a hard time even getting investors because of the state of the games industry. 6.5 million at this time was enormous and Zelda spawned a cartoon and all sorts of stuff. Its popularity continued into Zelda II which sold about 5 million even through a chip-shortage - the game was extremely difficult to get and people were driving all over the country to get a copy.

OoT sold 7.6 when gaming had already been revived and established, it was already living off the Zelda name, it was also one of the first adventure games to be released when 3D was still a novelty. But look at what happened to the "sequel", sales plummeted... why? because people didn't really like OoT so they didn't bother to buy the sequel.

never mind the NES had a significantly higher user base than the N64

Big One

Banned
Ridleyscott said:
No sales plummeted cause the reviewers mocked Majora's Mask, it was released very late on the N64's lifespan, and it didn't really have the mass appeal of Ocarina of Time. ...Certainly you don't think people actually didn't like Ocarina of Time, right? Ocarina of Time is pretty much the most critically acclaimed game ever

apana

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Personally, I want Retro to develop an original IP. They certainly deserve the chance at this point, and it would be a good opportunity for Nintendo to show they're serious about capturing the western audience, if that is indeed their goal. On the flip side, I definitely don't want another Metroid game from Retro, unless they can miraculously strip away all the layers of extraneous bullshit they've been piling on top of the formula. Best to funnel their talents into a new franchise that plays to all their strengths and talents.

Nintendo already has the western audience, I think it's Nintendo's strongest group. They don't have a lock on male teenagers/young adults in the West. I doubt Retro could really change that. Nintendo is gonna have to build a machine that runs most of the major third party games to make inroads there.

Ridleyscott said:

The goal post, it moves!

Nintendo's installed user base peaked during the NES era (until the Wii), and had heavily declined by the N64 days. Who gives a shit if it was released chronologically after the game market crashed? Nintendo was at the height of their popularity in the NES era.

Still not sure whether you're an elaborate joke character or just a loon btw.

Big One said:
RE4 still had all of the elements the series is known for, however, kept in tact just with the added third-person shooter elements. To remove puzzles from Zelda would just make Zelda kind of pointless as a franchise. There's nothing to really do with it's formula...and without puzzles all that'll happen is this really repetitive and boring action adventure game.

Now I'm all for changing up Zelda's formula, but removing puzzles is the last thing you want to do. Imo I think puzzles should be integrated into the overworld design, and also have more enemies that force you to fight like the average Zelda boss as the common encounter for Link. The overworld structure definitely needs work since Ocarina of Time was a kind of awkward take on A Link to the Past's overworld using the limited hardware at hand. I think the Zelda devs need to try recreating something like that only with modern tech and design decisions.

Emphasis mine.

I wasn't familiar with the series pre-RE4, but RE4 did not have a lot of puzzles at all. My understanding is that they removed a lot of the "get this key/jewel to unlock that door" stuff and a lot of the puzzles. But honestly, you would know more than I.

Still, I think it's unfair to say that without puzzles, Zelda would become a "repetitive and boring action adventure game." Are there no innovations beyond puzzles that could be made to that genre? I'm sure Nintendo has lots of ideas floating around that just don't fit their current vision of Zelda. They're already expanding combat with Motion Plus. I'd love a Zelda x Red Steel 2 x RE4.

Basically, removing puzzles is the last thing you want. Not me. We're different people.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Krowley said:

I'm pretty much ready to believe that one of the main reasons there is a screen and camera in the controller is to provide head tracking 3D regardless of television type for a few reasons.

1) That early HipHopGamer video from the GDC. Got a feeling he was tipped off about quite a few things that in retrospect are coming together. For those who didn't see it he said there were rumors about a new nintendo console launching soon that was geared towards the "hardcore" and it had a special technology that allowed for 3D gaming on any TV (and he might have said any game...not sure about that part) he also mentioned some funky always online mode that sounds like a perfected version of WiiConnect24/3DS online features. This was weeks ago.

2) EAD Ninja's report about these technologies being under development at NTD.

3)Nintendo's earlier experiments with trying to fit the Gamecube with a portable 3D screen.

4)The ease of it all. If there is indeed a screen on one side and a camera on the other, and the controller works (as the french said) like a Wiimote sensor bar, it's got everything it needs for the technology ala the early Johnny Lee experiments.

5)There was an interview a while back where Miyamoto said he wanted to open up the gaming space in the living room and he started talking about something that sounded very much like Augmented Reality. He then said something like "maybe I shouldn't talk about this haha." I can't find the source, but some of you have to remember this interview, and I'm pretty sure he was talking about the console market not the 3DS.

6)That french website saying there was an additional secret about the controller beyond the streaming stuff. head tracking (or controller tracking since the screen is built into the controller and aimed at the television) sounds like it could fit the bill.

antonz

NOA has a new job opening as of today
Consumer Products Engineering Manager
Works with Project Development, Nintendo Co., Ltd., and external partners to develop and localize online products and services for Nintendo platforms. Investigates and recommends technology with a focus on network technologies and digital distribution Acts as a liaison regarding technical matters related to online technology Manages execution of a variety of network projects Investigating, evaluating, and recommending online technologies for use with consumer products
•Acts as a liaison regarding technical matters related to online technology

•Manages execution of a variety of network projects

Posted just an hour ago too

Holy Order Sol said:
I don't understand people who don't just want to get to play games that appeal to them and whose satisfaction requires an established fanbase to be fucked over.

I was the established fanbase of Zelda and got fucked over with Legend of Puzzle:Super Easy edition Director's Cut with Extra dialogue.

Puzzles make Zelda boring. snooze-fest. anyway I don't want to keep bitching about zelda until it comes up again.

I'd like to see Nintendo ON, just so long as its optional for developers. And as long as every game is forced to be first person.

Ridleyscott said:
Was Zelda I & II hack and slash? Zelda is supposed to be an action/adventure/rpg not a puzzle game. Again, comes down to the fact that developers are lazy and is easier to program puzzles than make a very fun and challenging adventure. But it was easier to do in 2D.
You're really going for a tag in this thread aren't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom