• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
GDGF

The hardware technology is done at NTD - Nintendo Technology Development, the NST - Nintendo Software Technology is for game / application software. Two completely separate teams in Washington, USA.

Log4Girlz

Krowley said:
The video I just found on youtube looked pretty fucking amazing, and it didn't even use anything but the tech in the wiimote and sensor bar to make it happen. No 3d glasses or anything like that. The effect was pretty amazing and it would be worth the effort since it wouldn't be very expensive to create.

this is also the second rumor posted in this thread about head tracking and a VR effect. There was another one very early on that was supposedly from an ubi employee. Everyone sort of dismissed it because it sounded to implausible and the source was kind of sketchy if I remember.

Well, there was a DS lite game with a similar effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_P4gyjf5tQ&feature=fvst

Also that dude went on to help create the kinect.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Shikamaru Ninja said:
GDGF

The hardware technology is done at NTD - Nintendo Technology Development, the NST - Nintendo Software Technology is for game / application software. Two completely separate teams in Washington, USA.

Thanks! Editing post.

All this head/finger tracking bullcrap is just stupid. I'm sorry, but everything it accomplishes can be done with much more precision with a second analog stick,which IGN reports as being present.

I'm telling you, it's video chat during online play. Not a gimmick and something most people would agree would really add to the online experience.

apana

When you're talking about 3D and Holograms it's just not possible to do right now in a meaningful way on the big screen TV. Nintendo is coming up with something crazy in their labs right now. Hold onto your Pokemon pillows it's gonna be an insane time in video game land for the next few months.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
GDGF

query: how much input does NTD have on Nintendo's systems. it sounds obvious, but I mean, do they research all the potential hardware that could be used? like were they the ones who tested Tegra 2 with Konno's supervision or whatever?

Kevin

What purpose would headtracking really serve? So you can move your head and have the game tilt a little with it. I have that same demo on my ipod and it was fun for about 2 minutes. I can't think of any useful game ideas using this tech and it's not really a replacement to 3D since it's not going to really make things look like they are coming out of the screen.

If this is suppose to be the big hardware secret then I would be disappointed in it. I personally can only think of a few basic uses to this software and honestly, the Xbox 360 and PS3 could implement this software tech on their system easily if they wanted.

My belief is that this isn't the secret. Obviously I could be wrong. For those who subscribe to the headtracking theory, how do you see this tech being applied to games? Can you give some examples as to what this tech would bring to the table in terms of immersion and interactivity?

Big One

Banned
Ridleyscott said:
Puzzles make Zelda boring. snooze-fest.
There's no point in loving Zelda if you don't love it's puzzles. That's what Zelda is, always has been and always will. Legend of Zelda was a groundbreaking game because it was an open world action game...in modern terms when you just make Zelda an action game on that grounds, it's already been done in many different forms already for it to just end up being really generic. There's a reason why most people consider A Link to the Past to be the definitive Zelda when it was first released compared to the first one.

yoopoo

Banned
More talk on NVC http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162905p1.html

IGN's goofy source claims its 'surprisingly powerful'.

nintendo-voice-chat-you-got-some-wii-2-in-our-project-cafe-20110419062351663-000.jpg

Fourth Storm said:
You're really going for a tag in this thread aren't you?

What's a tag?

In regards to the 3D display - Gamecube thing... Does anyone really think that is going to interest consumers? I mean, 3D is interesting but I'm not really sure I want to stare at a 6" screen playing a home console.

What is the appeal of that?

There's no point in loving Zelda if you don't love it's puzzles. That's what Zelda is, always has been and always will.
Always, except for the first two games and the puzzles in LttP had never been done before.

GDGF said:
5)There was an interview a while back where Miyamoto said he wanted to open up the gaming space in the living room and he started talking about something that sounded very much like Augmented Reality. He then said something like "maybe I shouldn't talk about this haha." I can't find the source, but some of you have to remember this interview, and I'm pretty sure he was talking about the console market not the 3DS.
I remember this so clearly, but do not remember where it was from. He said, "He wanted to get to the point where gaming didn't require a tv at all, but encompassed an entire room", then went on to say, "I probably should say anymore".

It always stuck with me as a sign of what they might be up to, but I wish we could find the source of it and confirm it :^/

Ridleyscott said:
What's a tag?
That string of words under my screen name.

Log4Girlz

Kevin said:
What purpose would headtracking really serve? So you can move your head and have the game tilt a little with it. I have that same demo on my ipod and it was fun for about 2 minutes. I can't think of any useful game ideas using this tech and it's not really a replacement to 3D since it's not going to really make things look like they are coming out of the screen.

If this is suppose to be the big hardware secret then I would be disappointed in it. I personally can only think of a few basic uses to this software and honestly, the Xbox 360 and PS3 could implement this software tech on their system easily if they wanted.

My belief is that this isn't the secret. Obviously I could be wrong. For those who subscribe to the headtracking theory, how do you see this tech being applied to games? Can you give some examples as to what this tech would bring to the table in terms of immersion and interactivity?

Well for one, a looking glass like effect into a game world has great immersive properties. This is why Nintendo would even bother with the 3DS and is a worth-while gimmick IMO, despite some people's abject hatred of it and derision of the concept. Its like having a window into the world. Oooh, move the control a bit, everything react to that movement. Now, it won't bring much in the way of innovative gameplay elements, but I can imagine puzzles and situations that may ask you to "Look around the room", and the active shifts in perspective reveal something that otherwise would have been hidden.

Now, sure this can be replicated with a camera stick, but again, not the same level of immersion. With the video I linked to that DSI game, I mean would it have been as cool to just move the camera around with the d-pad?

abstract alien said:
I remember this so clearly, but do not remember where it was from. He said, "He wanted to get to the point where gaming didn't require a tv at all, but encompassed an entire room", then went on to say, "I probably should say anymore".

It always stuck with me as a sign of what they might be up to, but I wish we could find the source of it and confirm it :^/

something like that sounds like it came from a more intimate interview. maybe the Iwata Asks? if so, that only backs up my claim that those interviews tell us more than we think when viewed from the future

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
From The Dust said:
query: how much input does NTD have on Nintendo's systems. it sounds obvious, but I mean, do they research all the potential hardware that could be used? like were they the ones who tested Tegra 2 with Konno's supervision or whatever?

The hand held hardware is done by Research Engineering & Development (RED), Nintendo Co., Ltd. Basically the guys who did the GBA, DS, 3DS, GBC, GB, Virtual Boy. For some reason Nintendo has always kept their portable hardware team separate from their console hardware team which is (IRD) Integrated Research & Development, Nintendo Co., Ltd.

NTD contributes general technology to both sectors. Infact NTD helped EAD develop the Motion Plus technology. But NTD does seem most active on the console development. If you think about it, they are the closest to Silicon Valley and are probably the main line of contact with Intel, IBM, etc.

Konno I think was just one of the producers and I think he was just representing the voice of game designers at Nintendo so that the engineers and industrial designers had a third entity giving supervisory input the whole way.

Jikagi

Fourth Storm said:
All this head/finger tracking bullcrap is just stupid. I'm sorry, but everything it accomplishes can be done with much more precision with a second analog stick,which IGN reports as being present.
Well, it hasn't really been said that it would actually be implemented in the system. It's just been said that Nintendo had done research on it. I think that video chat would be more likely, but I dunno.

Freezie KO said:
Emphasis mine.

I wasn't familiar with the series pre-RE4, but RE4 did not have a lot of puzzles at all. My understanding is that they removed a lot of the "get this key/jewel to unlock that door" stuff and a lot of the puzzles.

Puzzles in pre-4 RE and puzzles in Zelda at their best are nothing alike though. They might have been considered a distraction in RE and resulted in backtracking, but they are a significant part of the gameplay of modern Zelda games, involving a number of mechanics.

Also Majora's Mask was released on a dead system, required an Expansion Pak which had become somewhat hard to find, and was overshadowed by the hype of the freaking PlayStation 2 in Europe especially where the two launched within the same week or so. Why the fuck this needs to be explained again is beyond me.

Log4Girlz

abstract alien said:

That string of words under my screen name.

If I can't play GTA V and can't have an AR experience where I point my controller down and have a hooker unzip my pants and virtually give me a handjob...I give up on Nintendo ;)

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The hand held hardware is done by Research Engineering & Development (RED), Nintendo Co., Ltd. Basically the guys who did the GBA, DS, 3DS, GBC, GB, Virtual Boy. For some reason Nintendo has always kept their portable hardware team separate from their console hardware team which is (IRD) Integrated Research & Development, Nintendo Co., Ltd.

NTD contributes general technology to both sectors. Infact NTD helped EAD develop the Motion Plus technology. But NTD does seem most active on the console development. If you think about it, they are the closest to Silicon Valley and are probably the main line of contact with Intel, IBM, etc.

Konno I think was just one of the producers and I think he was just representing the voice of game designers at Nintendo so that the engineers and industrial designers had a third entity giving supervisory input the whole way.

coolio. never heard of Nintendo RED and IRD before

apana

Shikamaru Ninja said:

You mean Miyamoto built the console by himself right? With his own bare hands?

Krowley

Kevin said:

Well for one thing, it's visually pretty awesome to see. That video makes it look like stuff is jumping out of the screen at you. The 3d effect completely tricks your mind in a very impressive way.

Secondly, once you have that sense of depth, you can supposedly get a better feel for jumps and stuff like that, which could be helpful.

Third, it remains to be seen how this would directly relate to the controller. There could be a synergistic connection between the controller, the tracking effect, and motion sensing or something like that. Tilting the controller to make the screen change directions as a control mechanism for example.

Anyway.. It looks like it would be very easy for them to do, and it would enhance the immersion significantly, which is a good enough reason to add it IMO. If people see that on a store display, it will undoubtedly impress people, and anything they might come out with is likely to be copied by MS and Sony anyway. They both have motion control on their consoles now for example.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fourth Storm said:

I'm telling you, it's video chat during online play. Not a gimmick and something most people would agree would really add to the online experience.

That is a horrible idea. Why in the world do I want to have a picture of who I'm playing take up screen space? Who even looks at who they're playing when it's local multiplayer?

Ridleyscott said:
OoT sold 7.6 when gaming had already been revived and established, it was already living off the Zelda name, it was also one of the first adventure games to be released when 3D was still a novelty. But look at what happened to the "sequel", sales plummeted... why? because people didn't really like OoT so they didn't bother to buy the sequel.
The fuck.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
From The Dust said:

The Iwata Asks bring little bits of pieces to light. But most of it you learn reading Japanese interviews and NCL patents.

The truth is Iwata was the first to publicly start introducing different employees at Nintendo. Previously, people were only really familiar with Shigeru Miyamoto, because of his personality and involvement to some historic franchises, has become a great public relations rep for Nintendo.

Ridleyscott said:
What's a tag?

In regards to the 3D display - Gamecube thing... Does anyone really think that is going to interest consumers? I mean, 3D is interesting but I'm not really sure I want to stare at a 6" screen playing a home console.

What is the appeal of that?

Always, except for the first two games and the puzzles in LttP had never been done before.
You seem to be going against the gaf consensus just for the hell of it...not that I care about the gaf consesus, but the arguments you're making about Final Fantasy, Zelda, etc are off topic.

But yes, all this 3D, head tracking, vitality sensor, etc talk is ridiculous and contradicts the report that Wii 2 is not a gimmick. Nobody seems to think video chat is a possibility, but if there is anything at all to these rumors I'd bet a ban on it.

Medalion

Banned
snesfreak said:
Everyone...hated...Ocarina of Time?
Uh....sorry no.
That's just...WOW...I can't even...
OOT had many admirers, but there are also a fair bit of people who have hated how it is still long considered one of the greatest games ever made when there are people who don't even consider it to be the best Zelda game ever... haters gonna hate.

apana

Ocarina of Time really is the greatest game of all time, absolute revelation. Aonuma, Miyamoto, and Koizumi were smoking the good stuff during the N64 period.

Plinko said:
That is a horrible idea. Why in the world do I want to have a picture of who I'm playing take up screen space? Who even looks at who they're playing when it's local multiplayer?
Are you so asocial that the sight of another human being has no effect on you?

Kevin

Krowley said:
Well for one thing, it's visually pretty awesome to see. That video makes it look like stuff is jumping out of the screen at you. The 3d effect that completely tricks your mind in a very impressive way.

Secondly, once you have that sense of depth, you can supposedly get a better feel for jumps and stuff like that, which could be helpful.

Third, it remains to be seen how this would directly relate to the controller. There could be a synergistic connection between the controller, the tracking effect, and motion sensing or something like that. Tilting the controller to make the screen change directions as a control mechanism for example.

Anyway.. It looks like it would be very easy for them to do, and it would enhance the immersion significantly, which is a good enough reason to add it IMO. If people see that on a store display, it will undoubtedly impress people, and anything they might come out with is likely to be copied by MS and Sony anyway. They both have motion control on their consoles now for example.

I think I get what you're getting at with this. Though I do question how well this would work. I'm going to assume that if you turned your head to look around, wouldn't it go bonkers like trying to control FPS games with the Wiimote at times? I mean you can only turn your head a little bit or else you're no longer looking at the tv. So I would assume you would need to turn slightly to have the character fully turn 360 degrees. I could see that getting messy. Unless you have another idea?

wsippel

Banned
From The Dust said:
Nintendo has lots of divisions nobody ever heard of: NSD (Network Service Development), SDSG (Software Development Support Group), SDD (Software Design & Development), SRD (Systems Research & Development), BTD (Business Technology Development)...

Retro

Hey guys, what's the good word in this thread since yester-

Ridleyscott said:
Textual Diarrhea

::backs away slowly::

So... Virtual Reality helmets and the same Augment Reality ideas as yesterday. Sweet. When is E3 this year? I have a feeling it's going to feel a lot longer than it actually is.

linkboy

snesfreak said:
Everyone...hated...Ocarina of Time?
Uh....sorry no.
That's just...WOW...I can't even...

And that's why its getting a rerelease on the 3DS. We all hated the game back on the N64, Gamecube and Virtual Console, yet Nintendo is determined to make us like the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom