• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amir0x said:
right the implication of my comments obviously being after they left Metroid they've worked on only shitty properties since...

let me stop you before you go on some Nintendo fanboy driven Donkey Kong Country rage. No I don't care that the game gave you fellatio, it sucked.

High five.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:
right the implication of my comments obviously being after they left Metroid they've worked on only shitty properties since if they went on to make Eternal Darkness...

let me stop you before you go on some Nintendo fanboy driven Donkey Kong Country rage. No I don't care that the game gave you fellatio, it sucked.

Well considering they have only worked on two properties..... Your comment could of easily been taken either way.

Donkey kong is debatable.

Amir0x

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
This sentence is amazing. I WILL re-use it when given the opportunity.

was hoping someone saw the brutish elegance of it ;)

Skiesofwonder said:
Well considering they have only worked on two properties..... Your comment could of easily been taken either way.

Donkey kong is debatable.

Well right I agree but my comment was just acting as if they were working on Eternal Darkness. It's a rumour that's almost certainly false but that was how the comment was structured.

So IF it were true, DKC + ED since Metroid = BLAH.

Get them working on Star Fox.

Skiesofwonder

Doorman said:
I can't imagine that Eternal Darkness is the game that "everyone wants them to do," as supposedly intimated by Retro earlier. I had no idea people were even clamoring for a sequel for that, let alone a sequel made by Retro Studios.

Besides, why ask for ED when you could get a StarTropics reboot instead?

Seriously. Rumor smells of complete bs. I didn't hear anyone clamoring for a retro developed eternal darkness lol

carlo6529

So I drew up a few quick thumbnails of what I think the remote is gonna be like, if rumours are true. Basically what I came up with was formed from the premise that:

A. The controls still have to be compatible with Wii controls
B. If there is indeed a screen on the controller, the screen must be usable both horizontally and vertically.

Keeping those things in mind, I believe the controller is gonna be a two piece (technically 3 piece if you count the nunchuk). Being able to use pointer controls will still require a remote like control design. Also playing games in a more classical way will require two joysticks very similar to a standard game controller.

The image was hard to see so I inverted the colours through paint(I don't have photoshop or any program to darken the contrast); believe it or not, it helped a bit.

n6controllerjpeg.jpg

Think of it what you will; I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread somebody already suggest a shell concept aswell. It's the only way I can think of Nintendo getting around actually making two separate full fledged controllers.

The fact that Retro haven't been let loose on Star Fox yet is mindblowingly dumb. Perhaps now that Retro's art team has proven it can do cartoonish visuals as efficiently as it does realistic visuals, Nintendo will let it tackle StarFox, what with that franchise basically being a standard sci-fi romp starring the Animals of Farthing Wood

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
I really don't know what kind of games Amir0x likes... besides Paper Mario of course...

I like games with good gameplay and good graphics that don't rely on gimmickry to sell me. So that cuts out Eternal Darkness, with its doubly whammy of terrible gameplay and a sanity effect gimmick that had virtually no real impact on gameplay and was predictable to the extreme. I literally walked around with my sanity as low as possible for the entire game just to roll my eyes at the next galling bullshit Silicon Knights programmed in an attempt to OOO SPOOK ten year olds.

With Paper Mario, you'd think the paper shtick would be a gimmick, but like everything from the best Nintendo developed games it's the type of hook that develops out of gameplay necessity. It only works because the gameplay demands it, not because it's so totally sweet that Mario is made of paper.

Amir0x said:
I like games with good gameplay and good graphics that don't rely on gimmickry to sell me. So that cuts out Eternal Darkness, with its doubly whammy of terrible gameplay and a sanity effect gimmick that had virtually no real impact on gameplay and was predictable to the extreme. I literally walked around with my sanity as low as possible for the entire game just to roll my eyes at the next galling bullshit Silicon Knights programmed in an attempt to OOO SPOOK ten year olds.

With Paper Mario, you'd think the paper shtick would be a gimmick, but like everything from the best Nintendo developed games it's the type of hook that develops out of gameplay necessity. It only works because the gameplay demands it, not because it's so totally sweet that Mario is made of paper.
TTYD is my drug.

Here's to hoping PM3D gets back to that level of awesome.

Skiesofwonder

Amir0x said:
was hoping someone saw the brutish elegance of it ;)

Well right I agree but my comment was just acting as if they were working on Eternal Darkness. It's a rumour that's almost certainly false but that was how the comment was structured.

So IF it were true, DKC + ED since Metroid = BLAH.

Get them working on Star Fox.

Hell no. Put retro on something where their talent can actually be fully used, like a say star tropics, zelda, or even a new IP. And before anyone mentions the idea, we all saw how star fox adventures turned out.

Get treasure on star fox.

Amir0x

Banned
i love Retro but I don't want them working on Zelda. No way. No sir.

Star Tropics, sure. Only because it's been so long they can really just reinvent the damn thing

After reading some of these comments by analysts such as Divinich, I must say that all these rumors sound like the hopes of the "The Video Games Industry". Nintendo more or less abandoned the common goals of "The Industry" with the Wii - the idea of 'bigger is better'.

"$299 - $349 price tag" - complete nonsense, this would be financial suicide. We are currently in a recession in the US with worse times yet to come, same in Japan, same in many parts of Europe. No company in their right mind would do this to themselves.. I'm completely amazed that Nintendo released a $300 portable. Any potential new system from Nintendo, unless it includes VR will not exceed $300. $249 - $300.

"Nintendo will have to cater to the 'core' " - No they don't, the 'core' is not needed, this was proved by the Wii. This is the "right off Wii/motion-controls as a fad" mentality.

I feel like these guys are trying to force Nintendo's hand because of problems which are currently here and yet to come. They believe the way out is for Nintendo to shift focus away from "blue Ocean" to the bigger is better mentality. I do not believe Nintendo will go this route. Why? Because that route is dead, the video game landscape has changed and these companies don't like it because it will require them to do things that they don't want to do.

Hence the other rumors of returning back to dual analog - this fits the old mentality of the 'core' market, the days of old where everyone was comfortable. In part, Nintendo is being blamed for the current state as if the Wii made it happen. They want Nintendo to distance themselves from the philosophy of the Wii and are going as far as to say Nintendo can't use that name again, even though it is the name of the most successful console ever.

Amir0x

Banned
Willy105 said:
You'd think so.

well, yeah. but let's be straight those other attempts were really more like nintendo outsourcing really poorly then giving a legitimate shot at it

To be better than Star Fox 64 all you need is better graphics and 60fps, much more content and an even larger sense of scale. You'd need to have a good mix of wide scale aerial arena-type battles and level driven space combat, like 64.

RidleyScott said:
"$299 - $349 price tag" - complete nonsense, this would be financial suicide. We are currently in a recession in the US with worse times yet to come, same in Japan, same in many parts of Europe. No company in their right mind would do this to themselves.. I'm completely amazed that Nintendo released a $300 portable. Any potential new system from Nintendo, unless it includes VR will not exceed $300. $249 - $300.

I really think that is not "financial suicide" whatsoever. PS2 came out at $299 back in the stone age. Inflation exists. We cannot be at these ridiculously low prices for all eternity. Eventually something will given. That something will almost always be price. We now have a Nintendo handheld that launched at $250. Almost certainly, the new Wii will be more.

Time to deal with reality.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Star Tropics, sure. Only because it's been so long they can really just reinvent the damn thing

do people really want star tropics though. why confine retro to a 20+ year old game when they might as well make something brand new?

Ridleyscott said:
After reading some of these comments by analysts such as Divinich, I must say that all these rumors sound like the hopes of the "The Video Games Industry". Nintendo more or less abandoned the common goals of "The Industry" with the Wii - the idea of 'bigger is better'.

"Nintendo will have to cater to the 'core' " - No they don't, the 'core' is not needed, this was proved by the Wii. This is the "right off Wii/motion-controls as a fad" mentality.

I feel like these guys are trying to force Nintendo's hand because of problems which are currently here and yet to come. They believe the way out is for Nintendo to shift focus away from "blue Ocean" to the bigger is better mentality. I do not believe Nintendo will go this route. Why? Because that route is dead, the video game landscape has changed and these companies don't like it because it will require them to do things that they don't want to do.

Hence the other rumors of returning back to dual analog - this fits the old mentality of the 'core' market, the days of old where everyone was comfortable. In part, Nintendo is being blamed for the current state as if the Wii made it happen. They want Nintendo to distance themselves from the philosophy of the Wii and are going as far as to say Nintendo can't use that name again, even though it is the name of the most successful console ever.
Huh, I completely agree here. It'll still be interesting to see what the hook is on the new system.

Amir0x said:

Fuck no. I like Retro as much as the next guy, but they don't need to be messing around with Zelda. Either a franchise that needs a reboot like Star Tropics or Star Fox, or a new IP. Nintendo really needs to give them some breathing room and let them make something of their own. I'd really like to see them start from scratch with something and really define themselves as a studio.

Amir0x said:
To be better than Star Fox 64 all you need is better graphics and 60fps, much more content and an even larger sense of scale. You'd need to have a good mix of wide scale aerial arena-type battles and level driven space combat, like 64.

You also need genius writers to at least match the quality of that script.

AniHawk said:
do people really want star tropics though. why confine retro to a 20+ year old game when they might as well make something brand new?

I'm not sure "confine" is the word here. Old franchises like that are pretty much empty shells and developers are basically free to put whatever they want in it. The appeal to the fans of the old games is easily preserved through a few references, characters and pieces of music.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:

I agree. i was just saying that if they had to choose, go with Star Tropics. It's as close to just bringing a brand new thing as possible

plus Star Tropics has potential, if they're never going to bring Mother to the USA anyway :/

AniHawk said:

Because Iwata will shut your new idea the fuck down unless it's got a legacy brand attached, look what happened to 'Project Sora'. I don't think anyone wants StarTropics beyond daft Nintendo fanboys, not saying the games were bad but it's hardly up there with MOTHER or Shenmue in terms of sequel demand

Instro

Amir0x said:
right the implication of my comments obviously being after they left Metroid they've worked on only shitty properties since if they went on to make Eternal Darkness...

I cant remember now, do you just dislike DKCR the DKC series as a whole?

Amir0x

Banned
Instro said:
I cant remember now, do you just dislike DKCR the DKC series as a whole?

the whole series. That's why I said they keep working on bad series*

*(if this becomes a trend and they work on Eternal Darkness. If it just stays with DKCR it's not really a trend, is it?)

carlo6529 said:
So I drew up a few quick thumbnails of what I think the remote is gonna be like, if rumours are true. Basically what I came up with was formed from the premise that:

A. The controls still have to be compatible with Wii controls
B. If there is indeed a screen on the controller, the screen must be usable both horizontally and vertically.

Keeping those things in mind, I believe the controller is gonna be a two piece (technically 3 piece if you count the nunchuk). Being able to use pointer controls will still require a remote like control design. Also playing games in a more classical way will require two joysticks very similar to a standard game controller.

The image was hard to see so I inverted the colours through paint(I don't have photoshop or any program to darken the contrast); believe it or not, it helped a bit.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/carlo6529/n6controllerjpeg.jpg[IMG]

Think of it what you will; I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread somebody already suggest a shell concept aswell. It's the only way I can think of Nintendo getting around actually making two separate full fledged controllers.[/QUOTE]

it's nice, but the only problem is the 6" screen part. you can't fit a 6" screen and still be able to hold it like a Wiimote. if you stretch the horizontal length, maybe. but you gain a shitload of other problems (manufacturing and play-style wise).

JCRedeems

Banned
Ridleyscott said:

Hey, man. Stop being sensible. It's just not cool.

brochiller said:
Fuck no. I like Retro as much as the next guy, but they don't need to be messing around with Zelda. Either a franchise that needs a reboot like Star Tropics or Star Fox, or a new IP. Nintendo really needs to give them some breathing room and let them make something of their own. I'd really like to see them start from scratch with something and really define themselves as a studio.
I don't think it's up to us to decide if they need breathing room or if they just need to keep rebooting series under Nintendo's watch. I'd trust Nintendo for that.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Ridleyscott said:

It isn't that easy. There are some huge problems with the Wii.

1. Traditional third-party games are not selling. Hell. No third party game is selling outside of 2-3 rare titles. One being UBI Soft's Just Dance. This severely limits the broadness of the userbase, and the amount Nintendo collects on licensee fees.

2. Nintendo themselves is shoe-horned into developing the same type of games. Wii Play clones and nostaltic 2.5d games. Anything else they try to develop there just isn't a viable market to support it.

3. The casual market isn't so dependable. Consumer trends have already disrupted the hand held market. Remember when Nintendo had those smash hits Brain Training? English Training? Electroplankton? Cooking Guide? Well the market for all those games have literally vanished. Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that the Touch Generations brand of games is pretty much done with. Why? Because all these simple games are now available on a variety of smart phones for about a dollar.

4. Aside from the casual market not really having brand loyalty, they have also proven to purchase about 2 games a year. It kind of ruins Nintendo's forecast of having a successful full year of releases.

Nintendo needs a balanced system. One of the main objectives is going to be appeasing the traditional core market. Nintendo needs to sell games to both markets.

Amir0x said:
I really think that is not "financial suicide" whatsoever. PS2 came out at $299 back in the stone age. Inflation exists. We cannot be at these ridiculously low prices for all eternity. Eventually something will given. That something will almost always be price. We now have a Nintendo handheld that launched at $250. Almost certainly, the new Wii will be more.

Time to deal with reality.

Inflation does exist simply as an inherent fault in a fiat currency system and an out of control government spending and central bank (the Fed) policy.... evidenced by the rising gas, gold, and commodity prices... but, wages don't keep up with inflation. If a business wants to sell products it needs to price those products within the markets ability to purchase them. There is no way around that. If a system is too expense, inflation or not, it can't sell no matter how many people want it. People will choose food, clothes, and gas over video-games.

I think we might be seeing this with 3DS and the fact that people might not be interested in 3D.

Kad5

What if...wait this is crazy...you will all think i'm insane...

Retro is developing Mother 4 for Project Cafe with Itoi.

Sadly it isn't true. D:

Skiesofwonder

AniHawk said:

Not really, but I've come to the sad realization that a star tropics or mech rider is retro's only chance at a "new IP".

And I would be a bit weary of Retro touching Zelda too, but I can't think of anyone better fit to develop one besides nintendo themselves.

Well team ico...... But obviously not possible.

I don't get the 'looks uncomfortable'.

Wider is better, short of the keyboard integrated GC, and handles jutting out about 45 degrees. Dreamcast was a wrist killer cause the handles were vertical, N64 stick could be held in natural line with left arm and right could adjust without a lot of problem. I'm sure Game Gear felt nicer in the hands than Game Boy. The 1 issue could be weight if you are gonna 1 hand it at times to touch the screen.

Gvaz

Banned
StevieP said:
It is compared to the Wii Remote + Nunchuck..
The whole design needs to be chucked out because moving your hand in a 2D plane of 10 inches is tiring for long periods of play. If there was more range of movement that wasn't limited to the view of the sensor bar then MAYBE it would be ok

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
AniHawk said:

Commando Killer: Black Ops? An original IP literally means nothing nowadays. Technically Retro Studios working on Star Tropics is literally an open canvas for them. But I have to admit I like the idea of them making Eternal Darkness.

Personally I would like to know how much flash storage is built in to this thing. The Wii had a small bit but I would figure that Nintendo would go much bigger this time around or at least include a slot for us to add storage space ourselves.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
It isn't that easy. There are some huge problems with the Wii.

1. Traditional third-party games are not selling. Hell. No third party game is selling outside of 2-3 rare titles. One being UBI Soft's Just Dance. This severely limits the broadness of the userbase, and the amount Nintendo collects on licensee fees.

2. Nintendo themselves is shoe-horned into developing the same type of games. Wii Play clones and nostaltic 2.5d games. Anything else they try to develop there just isn't a viable market to support it.

3. The casual market isn't so dependable. The market has already disrupted the hand held market. Remember when Nintendo had those smash hits Brain Training? English Training? Electroplankton? Cooking Guide? Well the market for all those games have literally vanished. Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that the Touch Generations brand of games is pretty much done with. Why? Because all these simple games are now available on a variety of smart phones for about a dollar.

4. Aside from the casual market not really having brand loyalty, they have also proven to purchase about 2 games a year. It kind of ruins Nintendo's forecast of having a successful full year of releases.

Nintendo needs a balanced system. One of the main objectives is going to be appeasing the traditional core market. Nintendo needs to sell games to both markets.

1. Third party titles aren't selling because they aren't the type of games the market wants.

2. Why are 2.5D games nostalgic? Its as if you treat them as "not worthy". They are just as viable, fun, and high quality as any 3D game - I'd say more so.

3. Exactly, the prices of games are too expensive. The price needs to come down from $50 to about $30-$40 for bigger games and about $5-$10 for smaller ones.

4. Brand loyalty? WTF is this? This is irrelevant, no company should base their business model on brand loyalty. That is the mind-set of the current "Industry".

AniHawk

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Commando Killer: Black Ops? An original IP literally means nothing nowadays. Technically Retro Studios working on Star Tropics is literally an open canvas for them. But I have to admit I like the idea of them making Eternal Darkness.
well the only point of reviving star tropics would be to cash in on the name star tropics. maybe it'll work for kid icarus because people have been clamoring for it for years, but star tropics?

JCRedeems

Banned
AceBandage said:
The problem is that 3rd parties mean sales and a bigge userbase. They need 3rd parties to expand.

If they really catered to 3rd parties and didn't do their own wacky thing their would have been a Gamecube 2 which would have been a failure sales wise. They definitely wouldn't have made the billions they made this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom