• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Banned
The controllers are actually bundled with 3DS chipsets and unsold 3D screen now that the 3DS is a dreamcast like failure.

Big Papa Husker said:
Now Blu-ray.com is posting that sources are telling them that Nintendo is looking at the Blu-ray format for discs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6194

Makes sense.
BluRay is dirt cheap now, and holographic storage isn't ready yet.

btkadams said:
all i want fromt he next gen is 60fps and 1080 standard. make it happen nintendo/sony/microsoft.

Doesn't matter how powerful consoles ever get. It'll never happen.

Jonm1010

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
I suggest you stick with pc gaming.
I don't think that's too much to ask. If Ps4 or 720 can't match that than I will be severely disappointed in next gen. I'm just holding that same standard to Nintendo.

I'm not a one console person but I had no desire this gen to buy a wii simply to play Mario galaxy one and two and to play wii sports when the girlfriend is over. I did that for the gamecube and resident evil 4 and f zero and regret it. If they can give me more than that this go around I will gladly be a three console man.

antonz said:
Nintendo will either make their own version of blu ray or do something with that holographic storage patent finally

see, now this is classic nintendo. standard media? pfft fuck that. propriety all the way.

Majine said:
Next Xbox is prolly 2012 tho. Microsoft is getting pretty desperate about the DVD format size issue.

If we're just starting to get leaks about Nintendo's console for that time frame, there's no way Microsoft or Sony could have something lined up. They're both far worse at letting stuff leak out then Nintendo is. I think it's pretty likely that we won't see Microsoft's next console until late 2013, especially with how Kinect has really boosted their performance for the past six months or so.

rekameohs

Banned
rNR7o.gif

Zenith

Banned
Pretty obvious that this was an authorised "leak" for so many different sites to be given varying degrees of information on the same day.

Zenith said:
Pretty obvious that this was an authorised "leak" for so many different sites to be given varying degrees of information on the same day.

Would make sense, seeing as we might be hearing about it in about a week.

Zenith said:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Not that I mind, all this pre-E3 hype is glorious. I just hope that the GAF servers will be able to handle the load..

Why would you do that? said:
Seriously. I can't believe we've gone this long without a console Zelda. It's getting to be as long as the wait from Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time...

I hope the new system's graphics won't make Nintendo games take even longer to be made...

It will without a shadow of a doubt. Nintendo are going to really struggle with HD development (they have no experience with modern shader hardware, outside of the 3DS and they're already lagging far behind everyone else there)

Their artists and programmers are 5-6 years behind the rest of the industry in terms of tech experience.

Jonm1010

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:
Now Blu-ray.com is posting that sources are telling them that Nintendo is looking at the Blu-ray format for discs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6194
I'd be severely disappointed if they didn't.

DVD would probably kill all third party enthusiasm. Glad their not being hard headed like times past and trying to make some gimped media format that hinders their systems and erodes support.

perfectnight said:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Not that I mind, all this pre-E3 hype is glorious. I just hope that the GAF servers will be able to handle the load..

E3 without a thousand 500 errors isn't E3!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
btkadams said:
all i want fromt he next gen is 60fps and 1080 standard. make it happen nintendo/sony/microsoft.

Buy a pc.

Developers don't give a shit about 60FPS and resolution. They are more interested in effects and pretty lights. Just like 99% of gamers.

Cosmozone

Thinking about the controller again, I think a touchpad like thing on it could be pretty neat. When I read the news about the NGP, I thought it was a great idea actually. I was even surprised that Sony could be innovative like that. :)

Salsa

What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen.

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it."

holy fuckin shit this is the wii all over again

I CANT KEEP UP WITH THIS AND THE PORTAL 2 ARG GODDAMMIT

Nitendo and Valve, the two companies i love the most in all gaming, going nuts at the same time, this is a weird-ass day.

apana

Nuclear Muffin said:
It will without a shadow of a doubt. Nintendo are going to really struggle with HD development (they have no experience with modern shader hardware, outside of the 3DS and they're already lagging far behind everyone else there)

Their artists and programmers are 5-6 years behind the rest of the industry in terms of tech experience.

Can't they use that extra power for frame rate and resolution in order to lower some of the costs?

Zenith said:

Certainly seems like it. Nintendo are typically very, very good at keeping things tightly secured, and I can't imagine all of this will have come from the devs getting early access. Sprinkle a few bits and pieces of info, then sit back and let your next-gen system become the talk of the town before stepping in with an official reveal, or at least confirmation of the system's existence and appearance at E3.

told yall WAY back the controller would have a screen. WAY WAY back. i said it would look like the old atari consoles where you could re-skin the controller like they used to do back in the day on atari:

Atari%202600%20Cookie%20Monster%20Munch%20Overlay.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
KuwabaraTheMan said:
If we're just starting to get leaks about Nintendo's console for that time frame, there's no way Microsoft or Sony could have something lined up. They're both far worse at letting stuff leak out then Nintendo is. I think it's pretty likely that we won't see Microsoft's next console until late 2013, especially with how Kinect has really boosted their performance for the past six months or so.

Microsoft has been a freaking steel trap for years now. Remember all the constant rumors that Microsoft were leaving the industry because there were no pre E3 leaks?

Microsoft and Sony certainly do have new consoles in the works.

antonz

I dont know if you can say Nintendo will struggle.They are doing alot of High Def assets already just on a system that has no use for them.

comedy bomb said:
This is so bizarre and un-Nintendo like. Maybe they'll help HVS bring an upgraded Grinder for launch.

Other than the screen in a controller, what's un-Nintendo like? In later 2012, the cost to make a console more powerful than the PS3 will be very low. I doubt Nintendo is adopting the razor-blade model here, which is what would actually be shocking.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that all of this is too good to be true. Man. First time in years that I've been excited for the launch of a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom