• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Dust said:
Just going by the rumors, Nintendo is aiming for a Q1 or Q2 release. I think that would be a good idea.

I would love a spring launch, less fighting with people trying to get one for Christmas. Plus, I want new hardware sooner than 1.5 years from now.

Mithos

Gold Member
First Children said:
A ps3 controller weight 140g, a DSlite 220g... I think a controller like that should be at least 400g.
Just checked, my DS3-controller weighs in at 195g-ish and so does my Gamecube controller.

Adding a screen on a normal controller, or a wii controller is going to add weight, complexity, and it's not going to add that much in gameplay.

if it's going to have a screen that large you are NOT going to keep it in your hands.

swerve

abstract alien said:
Shit, connect 24 could be a real step forward if they handle it correctly...

Especially if it has friend presence information constantly displayed on the tablet.

AbstractAlien just signed in.
Andrex is playing Mario Kart:Online (join?)
TehHardcorez last seen online 732 days ago

First Children said:
Adding a screen on a normal controller, or a wii controller is going to add weight, complexity, and it's not going to add that much in gameplay.

if it's going to have a screen that large you are NOT going to keep it in your hands.

I'm sure people said the same thing about motion controls and dual screens

swerve

First Children said:
it's not going to add that much in gameplay.

This is crazy talk. Even with just a few seconds thought you could surely imagine just some simple enhancements over games you already enjoy. Given some time you can imagine significant upgrades, and of course entirely new ideas.

Things which it would make possible, if multiple controllers are reasonably priced:

Poker (and the like)
Competitive sports management games
Any game which has used GBA/DS connectivity to home hardware well (4 swords, pac man vs, band brothers dx)
Murder mystery games where individuals receive private information

Things which it would make possible if only one screen-controller is practical:

D&D where one player plays as 'game master' on private screen whilst other players exist in 'overworld' on the TV, and similar.
Real time strategy games with a direct pointer (but look how that went on Wii...)
Communicate with players/household when the machine is turned off using network services.

This post took 2 minutes to write. If it were my full-time job, I could probably imagine a couple more :)

That Brown Guy said:
Sorry if posted

Apology accepted. Move along.

Actually dual screen didn't add that much, it was good for metroid DS, ok, not much else.

Some of the ideas on this thread require also a videocamera on the back of the controller, that would add something to the gameplay, but I think we are not gonna see old controllers with something attacched.

swerve

First Children said:
Actually dual screen didn't add that much, it was good for metroid DS, ok, not much else.

Myself and others found it enjoyable in a number of games over the past six years. Please consider this before dismissing its additions to gaming outright.

swerve

wsippel said:
Almost $2 billion in R&D since the launch of the Wii!

But 3DS, DSi, Wii Remote Plus, AR games, Balance Boards, Vitality Sensors, 'Wii Light', 3D camera, Streetpass, Nintendo Online Shopping (Japan), Nintendo TV Station (Japan), 'my first HD game system' books...

These things cost a lot, and they are just the ones we know about, to say nothing of cancelled projects.

R&D spend tells us nothing.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
abstract alien said:
Connect 24 has the biggest potential of any of the online services, but it also is the least lackluster when put to practice. If they make a serious step this time, the base of how Connect 24 works would be outstanding, especially with a tablet it could feed information...even while the system is off. Receiving friend messages could now go beyond just a notification light while the system is powered down, but could be answered remotely via the screen/tablet as well. Maybe set up download schedules for when you power your system back on...hell, maybe power your system on when you aren't even home some sort of way? And that's not even dealing with the possible gameplay innovations(that we never got the first time around).

Shit, connect 24 could be a real step forward if they handle it correctly...
Good points.
This tablet idea is actually fascinating. It doesn't advance gameplay nearly as much as the pointer (except for GBA/GCN connectivity type games), but it will add so much to the overall 'experience'. Carrying the controller around the house with you and playing a game whenever you felt the itch would be the best feeling ever.

Coen

First Children said:
Actually, if console IS in the screen, you don't have to care about output ports.

For multitouch gaming you need nothing more than the console, because it's all in one piece. For normal gaming you only need a normal controller..

Oh, I agree, but I just don't think a 6 inch screen is going to do those traditional console games any favors. The Call of Duty's and GTA's of this world need their screen space and shrinking them down to only 6 inches would make it too hard to see stuff, regardless of resolution. Nintendo would once again be forcing developers to fundamentally change a game in order to appear on its platform and, again, I don't see them making that mistake twice.

Now, a unit next to the TV could act as a traditional console. It would feature the disk drive (if you think Nintendo's going digital distribution only, you're wrong) and handle the processing needed for HD games, making the controller/tablet lighter, cooler and just all around more comfortable to use (and probably easier to design too). Third parties would have the option to simply port a PS3 and 360 game to this machine and be done with it. It could also do BC flawlessly, using your Wii accessories.

But Nintendo's ace in the hole would be the screen on the controller. It could provide some interesting concepts for local multiplayer gaming and, judging by its codename, that's what Nintendo's going for. And if there's the option to use the controller's screen as a primary video output, I could see Nintendo stocking coffee places, bars and fast food restaurants with consoles, so you could bring your controller and play something with others, while you wait for your coffee, beer or burger.

gerg

I think the most compelling idea that I've had for having a screen on the controller is the idea mentioned in the quote by Iwata that someone posted - the ability to play on a console without using the TV screen. That, perhaps in an indirect sense, go somewhat to expanding the "social" aspect of console gaming by not have it necessarily be as domineering of a social area as it may otherwise be.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
swerve said:
But 3DS, DSi, Wii Remote Plus, AR games, Balance Boards, Vitality Sensors, 'Wii Light', 3D camera, Streetpass, Nintendo Online Shopping (Japan), Nintendo TV Station (Japan), 'my first HD game system' books...

These things cost a lot, and they are just the ones we know about, to say nothing of cancelled projects.

Forget all that. They bought a new building for R&D! An entire piece of land, and ground up construction.

syoaran

wsippel said:
We still don't know where all the R&D money went, do we? We know that they spent a rather huge amount in 2007, $370 million to be exact, after spending $103 million in 2006 (and only $34 million in 2003). Several sites considered that fact newsworthy back then. Yet it seems like they spent another $370 million in 2008, $430 million in 2009, and $489 million in 2010. Almost $2 billion in R&D since the launch of the Wii!

A lot of that money went into the 3DS, which sports a host of new technologies and software that Nintendo did not have

Interfectum

gerg said:
I think the most compelling idea that I've had for having a screen on the controller is the idea mentioned in the quote by Iwata that someone posted - the ability to play on a console without using the TV screen. That, perhaps in an indirect sense, go somewhat to expanding the "social" aspect of console gaming by not have it necessarily be as domineering of a social area as it may otherwise be.

Isn't that what the 3DS is? A powerful handheld without the TV?

It seems so redundant.

wsippel

Banned
swerve said:

In the last four years, they spent more per year than for the entire Wii and DS development cycle as far as I can tell. That is definitely noteworthy, even considering all the things they put out.

swerve

gerg said:

This.

It's a small thing - remove the console's dependence on the TV - but even if it's only for sub-functions (rather than the 'rich experiences' referred to by Iwata), it's still a great way to keep the console active and engaged.

Presence info, messaging, Virtual Console games, maybe downloadable/smaller games, and Wii-Channels, would be tremendous.

swerve

wsippel said:
In the last four years, they spent more per year than for the entire Wii and DS development cycle as far as I can tell. That is definitely noteworthy, even considering all the things they put out.

How do you know they weren't just more wasteful, though? R&D is quite probably allocated as a % of last-year profits, which would explain why it went up signicantly when last-year profits got so good.

the problem I have with the whole "screen controller is the console!" thing is that

1. it will suck up a lot of juice. since it's "significantly" more powerful than a 360, battery power would be like 5 mins unless you have a big-ass brick plugged into the wall

2. for some, the screen would be too small to enjoy console games. they might as well made it a handheld. then they would be cannibalizing 3DS sales.

3. a 1080p 6" touchscreen screen could prolly cost quite a bit, don't you think? not the most expensive part, but a good number of dollars

4. it would be bulky as hell and weigh a ton. very bad for a handheld device

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
wsippel said:
That was $150 million, and it's an active asset, not an R&D expense.

That was just the piece of land. Barren piece of land. Is the construction, equipment, R&D hire and transfer all active assets too?

swerve said:
Myself and others found it enjoyable in a number of games over the past six years. Please consider this before dismissing its additions to gaming outright.
I own a Wii and a DSlite, I have been a nintendo shareholder during the DSlite and Wii launches, I'm not talking because i'm a Nintendo hater or what.

Nintendo is my favourite player in the business right now, but I don't think any of these ideas would add much to gaming like Wii or Ds have done. The major improvements in these consoles came because of motion control and the touchscreen, not because of the dual screen!
And a second screen for an home console surely is going to add "something" but it's also going to be more difficult to use.

I believe these rumours are out only to mislead and to attract people, to make them put out shitty ideas and surpass them with what we are gonna get in the end.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm all for a screen on the controller, and even more for the console to be a connect 24 tablet.

But I don't want that at the expense of motion control gaming. Kinect to me is the future of gaming, and the future of accessible gaming. Being able to tell my xbox to start up and play portal 2 while I dim my lights and settle in. Not needing to touch a controller unless I'm playing software that requires it. Or navigating the your shape menu with my hands and body, making it almost a part of the exercising experience.

That's what home console gaming needs, and if Microsoft continues to advance on that while Nintendo puts motion gaming on the back burner and releases a dreamcast controller with an iPad attached......... Well, I can already tell you who has won the war.

I tried my hand at a controller too. Go MS Paint!

vuhDT.png

Coen said:
Oh, I agree, but I just don't think a 6 inch screen is going to do those traditional console games any favors. The Call of Duty's and GTA's of this world need their screen space and shrinking them down to only 6 inches would make it too hard to see stuff, regardless of resolution. Nintendo would once again be forcing developers to fundamentally change a game in order to appear on its platform and, again, I don't see them making that mistake twice.

Now, a unit next to the TV could act as a traditional console. It would feature the disk drive (if you think Nintendo's going digital distribution only, you're wrong) and handle the processing needed for HD games, making the controller/tablet lighter, cooler and just all around more comfortable to use (and probably easier to design too). Third parties would have the option to simply port a PS3 and 360 game to this machine and be done with it. It could also do BC flawlessly, using your Wii accessories.

But Nintendo's ace in the hole would be the screen on the controller. It could provide some interesting concepts for local multiplayer gaming and, judging by its codename, that's what Nintendo's going for. And if there's the option to use the controller's screen as a primary video output, I could see Nintendo stocking coffee places, bars and fast food restaurants with consoles, so you could bring your controller and play something with others, while you wait for your coffee, beer or burger.
Well, I talked about a 15"-18" tablet, I'm not taking too much seriously these rumours.

But I think also having the 6" tablet as a peripheral would be good, they only need the games to push the different peripherals, like a Pilmin3 for the tablet and a Gta5 for normal gaming

Skiesofwonder said:
But I don't want that at the expense of motion control gaming. Kinect to me is the future of gaming, and the future of accessible gaming. Being able to tell my xbox to start up and play portal 2 while I dim my lights and settle in. Not needing to touch a controller unless I'm playing software that requires it.

I get what you're saying, but it's pretty funny that the very first feature of Kinect you mention has nothing to do with motion. You don't need to eliminate the controller entirely to work in voice-activated commands. You could've done the same thing by putting a mic in the wiimote.

swerve

First Children said:
I own a Wii and a DSlite, I have been a nintendo shareholder during the DSlite and Wii launches, I'm not talking because i'm a Nintendo hater or what.

I don't think you have to be a hater to not appreciate that some people really liked dual screens and what they brought to many games. I would never accuse you of such.

First Children said:
The major improvements in these consoles came because of motion control and the touchscreen, not because of the dual screen!

In your opinion. In my opinion, the second screen was integral to many of the gameplay advances brought through DS games, and would be exactly the same (a single touch touchscreen) if the rumors are close to true.

Did you not think any of the ideas I posted above were potentially as significant as what the DS brought to the table? Can you not imagine that it fits very well with Nintendo's 'family gathered around the tv' ideal to have things like pictionary and card-games be possible on a TV-based system? It'd be like if the DS cost $60 each.

wsippel

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
That was just the piece of land. Barren piece of land. Is the construction, equipment, R&D hire and transfer all active assets too?
Mostly. You buy a piece of land, you own it. You construct a building on said piece of land, you own it. You buy equipment, you own it. That stuff is still in the books. R&D expenses are gone, however. There's no tangible return. R&D and construction costs for example are two separate items in the annual reports.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Skiesofwonder said:
I'm all for a screen on the controller, and even more for the console to be a connect 24 tablet.

But I don't want that at the expense of motion control gaming. Kinect to me is the future of gaming, and the future of accessible gaming. Being able to tell my xbox to start up and play portal 2 while I dim my lights and settle in. Not needing to touch a controller unless I'm playing software that requires it.

That's what home console gaming needs, and if Microsoft continues to advance on that while Nintendo puts motion gaming on the back burner and releases a dreamcast controller with an iPad attached......... Well, I can already tell you who has won the war.
If you're right, Kinect is the future, and Nintendo lose the motion control/console gaming war because of it... then the rejection of the technology was a shocking blunder from such a brilliant business tactician as Iwata. An M. Night Shyamalan worthy twist in videogaming history. Microsoft is not meant to be the more forward thinking and creative entity than Nintendo.

From The Dust said:
the problem I have with the whole "screen controller is the console!" thing is that

1. it will suck up a lot of juice. since it's "significantly" more powerful than a 360, battery power would be like 5 mins unless you have a big-ass brick plugged into the wall

2. for some, the screen would be too small to enjoy console games. they might as well made it a handheld. then they would be cannibalizing 3DS sales.

3. a 1080p 6" touchscreen screen could prolly cost quite a bit, don't you think? not the most expensive part, but a good number of dollars

4. it would be bulky as hell and weigh a ton. very bad for a handheld device
If you are talking about my idea from the previous pages, I never said it was going to be portable. And I was talking about a 15-18" tablet, so none of those problems exists.

You could also take a different way: normal console attachable to a normal TV, with a 6" tablet as one of many input peripherals.

Honestly I've thought since like 2007 that Nintendo's next controller would be a step towards what everyone in the world is also already adapted to and that's a cellphone.

51BEz1fRzsL.jpg

Obviously with less buttons, and add shoulder buttons. But it's easy to pick up, easy to hold in multiple ways, and the screen could act as a touch screen and also a gypsy like analog stick by pulling a switch that made it move through pressure.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Skiesofwonder said:
tell my xbox to start up... navigating the your shape menu...
That's what home console gaming needs
You say next console war will be won based on ability to be freed of the controller.
It looks like Nintendo wants us instead to be freed of the TV, while making the controller more personal.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
marc^o^ said:
You say next console war will be won based on ability to be freed of the controller.
It looks like Nintendo wants us instead to be freed of the TV, while making the controller more personal.
Which seems like better thinking to me.
People love personal and portable devices. Melding improved versions of the Wii Channels with a game controller seems far more forward thinking than a machine that requires people to stand in front of the console.
Nintendo have probably seen the convergence of the handheld and console markets coming for quite some time. If Cafe lives up to the rumours, this is one major step in that direction.

It's interesting how after a lot of ridiculous speculation, an understanding of the concept behind this thing seems to have come together in the past few pages.
Maybe on Monday Nintendo will reveal all of this to be completely wrong. Who knows.

Vinci

Danish
Krev said:
If you're right, Kinect is the future, and Nintendo lose the motion control/console gaming war because of it... then the rejection of the technology was a shocking blunder from such a brilliant business tactician as Iwata. An M. Night Shyamalan worthy twist in videogaming history. Microsoft is not meant to be the more forward thinking and creative entity than Nintendo.

Kinect is the future. Iwata's issue was with the past level of the Kinect tech. Hell, he might not even like the current version. But I think it's hard to deny that something like Kinect will eventually be part of every console. There might be additional controllers too, but I don't doubt Kinect's potential and neither should anyone else.

gerg

Interfectum said:
Isn't that what the 3DS is? A powerful handheld without the TV?

It seems so redundant.

The difference with the 3DS is that there's still no direct connection to the TV - there is no "terminal", as it were.

If the rumours of a 6" screen on the handheld are true (which, it seems, they are), then the idea is to remove what Iwata sees as a barrier for adoption or for even playing of video game consoles: in environments where a console is used socially, playing games among people who don't play them can be somewhat unsocial - one person has to dominate the social space as others can't use the TV or whatnot.

Now, this does mean that consoles would become more like handhelds, especially if we consider that the former should be the home of games of larger scope than those on the latter. But I think the idea here is to try and simply generate new and greater activity with a console, so that a gamer spends more time overall playing with his console. Perhaps, then, by playing more with a console in one fashion it could lead to playing more in another, namely with the larger games that consoles are known for.

I've been reading "Nintendo Magic" recently, and a lot of the design features of the Wii were designed solely with the end of getting a greater number of people using their consoles more. If the rumours about the Wii 2 match the Iwata quote in question then they would seem to operate on those lines.

swerve

It just seems to make sense to me, having a Japanese Wii and seeing the heavy investment in services, that they would want to make that stuff available without requiring hefty boot-up, etc.

Having something in constant sleep mode, easy to wake and get into, and even able to control the TV over HDCP from the base unit, is a smart evolution of the controller.

I look forward to being proved wrong and still being excited :)

swerve said:
Did you not think any of the ideas I posted above were potentially as significant as what the DS brought to the table? Can you not imagine that it fits very well with Nintendo's 'family gathered around the tv' ideal to have things like pictionary and card-games be possible on a TV-based system? It'd be like if the DS cost $60 each.
I don't think those ideas are as significant as being able to tap your dog on the screen (nintendogs) or writing numbers (brain training), and that's why the DS won the portable race.
And I believe it would bring many problems to the majority of games that won't use such feature, problems like ergonomy, weight and battery duration.

I actually don't believe this rumour, if there is a 6" touchscreen it's going to be a standalone peripheral, it can also be the main peripheral or the main screen (if bigger).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
Kinect is the future. Iwata's issue was with the past level of the Kinect tech. Hell, he might not even like the current version. But I think it's hard to deny that something like Kinect will eventually be part of every console. There might be additional controllers too, but I don't doubt Kinect's potential and neither should anyone else.
The thing is, what direction are consoles going in?
Are we going handheld only, or are consoles going to fold into the standard media device that will be paired up with every tv?
The answer is probably a mix of both, with a powerful handheld device that interacts with the screen based device. At that point, Kinect-like motion tracking is, as you say, the obvious step. But right now, I think Nintendo are more interested in taking a first step into handheld/console convergence devices.

V_Ben

Banned
Worth mentioning that on this week's 1up Oddcast, Sam Kennedy said that the console will not use friend codes. Awesome if true.

swerve said:
It just seems to make sense to me, having a Japanese Wii and seeing the heavy investment in services, that they would want to make that stuff available without requiring hefty boot-up, etc.

Having something in constant sleep mode, easy to wake and get into, and even able to control the TV over HDCP from the base unit, is a smart evolution of the controller.

I look forward to being proved wrong and still being excited :)

Yes, boot up times are an issue with home consoles. And I think I remember Iwata talking before the lauch of the Wii about sub 10 second waits between switching on and actually playing your game, didn't quite turn out like that, but DS and 3DS have shown that they can do it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
HisshouBuraiKen said:
I get what you're saying, but it's pretty funny that the very first feature of Kinect you mention has nothing to do with motion. You don't need to eliminate the controller entirely to work in voice-activated commands. You could've done the same thing by putting a mic in the wiimote.

Agreed, I added a bit more to my post, but yes such a feature could easily be added with a microphone. But it's the whole combination of the kinect tech that makes it so intuitive. You speak and move to control it. Nintendo created the wiimote because people were already comfortable with such a design, it was apart of their everyday life. It was not a gamer pad which is foreign and intimidating to the average person. But controlling a system with your voice and body is even more intuitive then a remote. It involves something you do everyday, almost like you spend the bulk of your day practicing to play kinect.

And let me add, if the rumors are true, Nintendo is basically giving you a tablet experience with added buttons and the option to play in on my big screen tv. I'm typing from my iPad now, and watching tv on my big screen. I'm picturing myself controlling the tv with this gadget, maybe playing a game with it. While it does seem like it could be feasible, controllable, and innovative....... Is it as intuitive as kinect? Does it potentially offer uniquer gaming experiences then kinect? And what separates this from being just another tablet experience that I already get with my iPad........ The verdict is still out on that, but Nintendo has got a tough road ahead of it that it must overcome (if rumors are to be believed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom