• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

I just hope they keep motion control in the new console. I've never enjoyed playing FPS so much then I have this generation. It's all thanks to the Wii remote. It would really suck if they stopped supporting that. It such better control method and it works well with other type of games like 3rd person shooters and strategy games. So I hope they go with both. Give me a analog controller for fighting games and racing games. Give me a motion point for FPS and other shooting games.

Retro

I always thought "Star Road" was what people wanted the Nintendo online service to be, but if I had to pick something more serious sounding?

Nintendo Online. Short and to the point.

yoopoo

Banned
V_Ben said:
Worth mentioning that on this week's 1up Oddcast, Sam Kennedy said that the console will not use friend codes. Awesome if true.
He also said Call Of Duty will play better on 360/PS3.

Turrican3

swerve said:
I think he's giving us hints about the personal screens here, and their ability to interact with the machine even when the TV is doing something else. Easy, handheld style 'pick up and play' brought to the home machine.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110128qa/index.html
Honestly I don't think so.

The reason is that the quote you reported goes on by saying:

Iwata said:
we must focus on what kinds of unique entertainment can be created when a home console can reproduce its images on a large monitor screen which can be viewed by several people at the same time. I think that in the mid and long term, the mission of home console machines will change in this fashion.
Also, I don't really buy the whole "stream home gameplay to your pad" because of lag and things like that (we're talking about a manufacturer/software house extremely careful to tight controls in their games), unless they've found some incredibly hi-performance method that would keep lag to unnoticeable levels. And still... I doubt it.

I read something somewhere that suggested Nintendo is using this Wii2 "announcement" in order to distract from the rapidly declining 3DS sales. This may be why an unveiling could be happening at an investor meeting.

Ridleyscott said:
I read something somewhere that suggested Nintendo is using this Wii2 "announcement" in order to distract from the rapidly declining 3DS sales. This may be why an unveiling could be happening at an investor meeting.
482.jpg

Woffls

Skiesofwonder said:
Looking like Nintendo is going to stream their investor meeting. Get your bodies ready.
:D :D That's kinda strange, actually. Well, it would normally be strange if they weren't announcing something so monolithically important. I think it's 9am GMT+1 so I might actually have to get out of bed before 11am for a change xD So excited.
Ridleyscott said:
baahhhhahaha - I'm sorry, you'll need to try harder than that.

How uncomfortable is this for anyone that has tried:

wrristbandrax1.jpg

wrristband24xri.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4bv85Vkt44

Mounted in the interior part of the left wrist facing you. And you can use the Wii controls normally. Also they could allow the option to attach the screen to a traditional shell controller. Of course one would assume Nintendo will build a higher quality mount.

The plus said of using like this is that they could also use the vitality sensor in the wrist band.

Spoke to a Nintendo rep yesterday.

She had a conference call before she went on her rounds and she was told, rather agitatedly, that the Wii 2 has not been confirmed yet and that she was not to speak about it.

Then she let me play with her 3DS while I was meant to be working. Good times.

Deguello

Ridleyscott said:

$5 says that "somewhere" was that charlatan Malstrom's den of TL;DR. You either are him or more sadly a sycophantic mouthpiece for him.

Ridleyscott said:
How do you distract from sales at an investor meeting

Everyone goes home with a book that has those numbers front and center!

Vinci

Danish
Turrican3 said:

Imagine if each controller showed a unique perspective for each player - ie. they can turn the camera and manipulate things in the game without being constrained to the same TV screen. Then, while they're playing, the TV would show an external viewpoint - showing with dynamic camera angles what is happening in the total environment, for people spectating.

If that's achievable or not, I don't know, but lets be honest: Most people playing a split-screen multiplayer game aren't getting much screen to look at beyond 6" as it is. If they can instead give the equivalent on the controller, then that allows a better perspective to view the smaller size from and also provides additional freedom to the individual players.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
In case anyone missed it, IGN has a very informative mailbag on project cafe.

Well, about as informative as you can be when it comes to talking about a bunch of "rumors".

- should be backwards compatible with Wiimotes
- Project Cafe controller may have some sort of gyroscopic control
- still saying the platform is significantly more powerful than 360/PS3
- Project Cafe controller with built-in screen is indeed the platform's main control scheme
- Nintendo wants to launch in Q1 or Q2 2012 if possible
- controller will most likely not be able to retain any data of its own
- for streaming game content from console to controller, there will most likely be a range for data transfer, and the system will have to be powered on
- controller's internal guts should mostly be related to the buttons and content streaming
- another statement saying that Project Cafe games will be at E3, but will most likely not be playable

Turrican3

Vinci said:
Imagine if each controller showed a unique perspective for each player
[...]
I see what you mean.

It just doesn't sound like a TV replacement to me like the whole streaming idea seems to somehow imply.

Vinci said:
Most people playing a split-screen multiplayer game aren't getting much screen to look at beyond 6" as it is. If they can instead give the equivalent on the controller, then that allows a better perspective to view the smaller size from and also provides additional freedom to the individual players.
The thing is split screen works really well as it is, even more today with 16:9 format screens. The only advantage to use the 6'' for another player is to conceal that view from the others. But lets face it, for the type of competitive games that is important to conceal information, game wise you'll better opt to design local multi player with co-op play in mind.

swerve

Turrican3 said:

Iwata said:
we must focus on what kinds of unique entertainment can be created when a home console can reproduce its images on a large monitor screen which can be viewed by several people at the same time.

Read it again for the Iwata-hint, bolded (gakman was right!)

He says 'reproduce'. Not produce. huh? See? SEE?? :)

I think for him to acknowledge the issue of players not being bothered to turn the machine on is a fairly big deal. He wouldn't bring it up if he didn't think he had a solution, and they have a history of trailing their reveals at the Q&A sessions (GC 3D experiments before 3DS reveal, Miyamoto has a cat before Nintendogsncats, etc.).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Skiesofwonder said:
Probably name-calling.

I think he called amir0x something.

Ah yeah I'm reading the Mario 3DS thread now.

That guy gets so pushy when he's talking about Mario. Dude needs to chill.

Ridleyscott said:
This is a brilliant post.

Vinci

Danish
Turrican3 said:
I see what you mean.

It just doesn't sound like a TV replacement to me like the whole streaming idea seems to somehow imply.

It could serve as both is what I'm saying. Hell, you wouldn't even necessarily need the TV on since all it would be showing - in that scenario - is spectator mode. The game would be available through each controller for each player.

Again: Whether that's achievable, I have no idea. But I definitely think it's a potentially compelling concept.

Refreshment.01 said:
The thing is split screen works really well as it is, even more today with 16:9 format screens.

Hypothetical: A 40" screen with 4 players means each one gets 10". Seen from generally 8 feet away. Compare that to a 6" screen in their hands, and yes, I think the 6" is going to serve the purpose better besides removing any confusion over which screen you're looking at.

The only advantage to use the 6'' for another player is to conceal that view from the others.

It's not the 'only advantage' - it's just another one.

But lets face it, for the type of competitive games that is important to conceal information, game wise you'll better opt to design local multi player with co-op play in mind.

Why arbitrarily narrow the field of possible game experiences when you don't have to?

ShockingAlberto said:
How do you distract from sales at an investor meeting

Everyone goes home with a book that has those numbers front and center!
I guess by shifting their attention to some future hope. People become excited over a new product and helps over-shadow the negative outlook on another.

Didn't say I agree with it, just an interesting possibility... we don't even really know that anything of the sort will be announced there.

Vinci

Danish
Ridleyscott said:
I guess by shifting their attention to some future hope. People become excited over a new product and helps over-shadow the negative outlook on another.

Didn't say I agree with it, just an interesting possibility... we don't even really know that anything of the sort will be announced there.

Investor meetings aren't for pulling sleight of hand. They are for informing.

plex

First Children said:
It doesn't follow exactly the rumours but this is what I think would be good, it's a 15" multi-touchscreen with layered 3D like the 3DS and haptic feedback:
$999 confirmed. :p

Refugio

Skiesofwonder said:
Takes place on the 26th of April, but I believe that is japan time which is a day ahead of America, so:

3AM EST April 25th (?)

Man that's gonna ruin my sleeping schedule. But I have no life. I can do it.

Damn i'll be working during the investor meeting!
I want to experience it live with all the shock and excitement that comes with it, not through a bullet point recap of what happened. : (

Ridleyscott said:

So basically you don't actually know what you're talking about, but you're presenting incredibly poorly thought ideas out behind the guise of asking questions of possibilities?

Like if I said "Is it possible RidleyScott is not the troll we think he is, but rather actually as incompetent at posting as we think he pretends to be," that isn't at all insulting because I don't actually agree with it, I'm just asking it out loud.

Mistle

Oh cool, investors stream is at 5pm tues for Australians (Melbourne). Very convenient, 'specially compared to the 3am E3 conferences.

Vinci said:
Again: Whether that's achievable, I have no idea. But I definitely think it's a potentially compelling concept.
Transmitting a 1:1 image to both tv and touch screen? I checked the specs of wifi HD transmitters and it seems possible with very minor lag.

Why arbitrarily narrow the field of possible game experiences when you don't have to?
Vinci, let me give you a friendly advice, don't take things so literally. It takes value away from what the other people is saying and in some cases insults their intelligence (not the case with what you said).

Anyway, let me explain the bold part with an example. Let's say we are gonna play a Halo team match, with us forming a team locally. In this case is better for us to play split screen since we both get tactical feedback from the split screens. So what i'm trying to say is that split screen is not always a bad option.

The thing with the transmitting the game to the screens is that people is assuming that each controller will feature a 6'' screen and thats hard to imagine. A part from the controller cost issues, imagine the supply nightmare that will be to provide those screen for each controller Nintendo sells.

Another thing people is thinking playing 4 players with 3 screens and a TV. So what we do with the guy playing on the TV, downscale the image to a lower resolution? Thats a waste of screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom