• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
I like the idea. If they offer stuff like a browser and maybe even a competent media player, having your controller with you at all time while being at home makes sense. Matches the 3DS concept in a way. The system would need a multi user operating system with multiple concurrent logins to make the system truly personal, though - it would basically be a server with up to four ultra-thin clients.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
V_Ben said:
Worth mentioning that on this week's 1up Oddcast, Sam Kennedy said that the console will not use friend codes. Awesome if true.

Woooo

But who is he and how would he know?

swerve

First Children said:
I don't think those ideas are as significant as being able to tap your dog on the screen (nintendogs) or writing numbers (brain training), and that's why the DS won the portable race.

Firstly, that's a very simplistic view - there was a whole bunch of software responsible for creating the DS wave of positivity including mario kart, castlevania, animal crossing, phoenix wright - a wave of new-meets-old which got everyone excited.

Secondly, the DS added the features you mention to a handheld. To add them to a home console, allowing for the user to interact with games even when 'off' or when your wife is watching TV, permits a lot more engaging online games/persistent worlds, allows for players to remain connected to their home system when usually they wouldn't be able to, and this connection will breed good feeling towards the console and desire to use it more.

It's the 'good feeling' which is required to create the boom in console popularity, as with DS, and Wii (and the lack of it is a contributor to what has since damaged Wii amongst certain areas of the gaming community).

Microsoft let me view my friends list on xbox.com and see who's doing what, but if I could do that on my controller, effortlessly, I am much more likely to do so, and therefore less likely to miss friends when they are online. It could be achieved through a text-messaging service to my phone, also, but having it on the controller and the capability of playing with them there and then is significant.

It'll be like... a cafe... where all my friends hang out, come and go, and interact with me!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
V_Ben said:
Worth mentioning that on this week's 1up Oddcast, Sam Kennedy said that the console will not use friend codes. Awesome if true.
If that's true, this machine is really going to surprise a lot of people.
Going to be a VERY interesting E3.

swerve

V_Ben said:

And the warning screen on start-up? how about that? Maybe they'll go the 3DS route and add a 'warning' button on the UI...

FREEDOM!

M74

V_Ben said:
I assume he claims there's an insider source?

birdchili

swerve said:
And the warning screen on start-up? how about that? Maybe they'll go the 3DS route and add a 'warning' button on the UI...
it's always struck me as funny that Iwata wants the console to boot super-fast, yet i get that ridiculous "press A to bypass this bs warning screen" every time i start up my wii. annoying.

swerve said:
Firstly, that's a very simplistic view - there was a whole bunch of software responsible for creating the DS wave of positivity including mario kart, castlevania, animal crossing, phoenix wright - a wave of new-meets-old which got everyone excited.
I'm pretty sure those games existed on other consoles and didn't make such a boom before. The DS got the GBA audience thanks to pokemon and many other IPs that existed before, and enlarged those sales thanks to new games, like Nintendogs, Brain Training, Prof Layton. I don't think Castlevania did much. Obviously other games did something but i'm talking about the big numbers here.
Games like Mario Kart achieved high sales also thank to the larger than usual userbase, new gamers trying something different, but NEW people bought the console thanks to other games, not thanks to Mario Kart.

swerve said:
Secondly, the DS added the features you mention to a handheld. To add them to a home console, allowing for the user to interact with games even when 'off' or when your wife is watching TV, permits a lot more engaging online games/persistent worlds, allows for players to remain connected to their home system when usually they wouldn't be able to, and this connection will breed good feeling towards the console and desire to use it more.
Well then, you should love my idea that the tablet is actually the main screen of the console.

man, i'm so not getting this. there's really going to be a touchscreen in Nintendo's next controller?

why? the absolute LAST thing i want to look at when immersed in a game is the controller. i want to forget the controller and focus on the game that's running on my TV.

seriously i'm completely baffled. help me understand.

swerve

birdchili said:
it's always struck me as funny that Iwata wants the console to boot super-fast, yet i get that ridiculous "press A to bypass this bs warning screen" every time i start up my wii. annoying.

Yeah, I blame American lawyers and British tabloid newspapers.

I could tolerate it when it was a nice way to sync your wii remote. I got really, really pissed with the excessive hand-holding of Wii Sports Resort, and the lack of a parental control option to turn the pre-game warnings off.

And them making me watch a 3 minute video about how to use my new controller. Let the user decide, Nintendo. *NEVER* force a tutorial. Especially if you've hacked the flag into the same memory as the SD Card channel temp-saves. *got so angry*

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
astroturfing said:
man, i'm so not getting this. there's really going to be a touchscreen in Nintendo's next controller?

why? the absolute LAST thing i want to look at when immersed in a game is the controller. i want to forget the controller and focus on the game that's running on my TV.

Read the last few pages. Or better yet, wait until Monday. If you don't know by then, wait until E3.
Nintendo's crazy risks can end up paying off amazingly or being absolutely horrible, but they never make much sense when you first hear about them.
Outside the box thinking is like that.

GregLombardi said:
My guess is that this thread will close down close after Nintendo's investor briefing.

This is a guess that will turn out to be correct.

astroturfing said:

It's Wii all over again! Nintendo, get the diving board ready!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
V_Ben said:
Considering that friend codes have been changed to a system based code anyway, I don't see how it makes that much of a difference one way or the other.

swerve

astroturfing said:
why? the absolute LAST thing i want to look at when immersed in an action or fast paced game is the controller. i want to forget the controller and focus on the game that's running on my TV.

Fixed?

It could provide many benefits to slower paced multiplayer games as well as allowing the user to interact with the console when the TV is off, or being used by someone else. It doesn't stop the fast-paced games from existing just as they do now. It just allows for more stuff to happen.

It's the equivalent of 'upselling' - get the player using the machine via the controller, and then move them onto the TV when possible.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
swerve said:

It's the 'good feeling' which is required to create the boom in console popularity, as with DS, and Wii (and the lack of it is a contributor to what has since damaged Wii amongst certain areas of the gaming community).

Microsoft let me view my friends list on xbox.com and see who's doing what, but if I could do that on my controller, effortlessly, I am much more likely to do so, and therefore less likely to miss friends when they are online. It could be achieved through a text-messaging service to my phone, also, but having it on the controller and the capability of playing with them there and then is significant.
It'll be like... a cafe... where all my friends hang out, come and go, and interact with me!

I'm picturing this, my iPad being like that for my home console. Give me these features nintendo with your tablet controller along with controller free motion control gaming and I'm there day one.

Koren

poppabk said:
Considering that friend codes have been changed to a system based code anyway, I don't see how it makes that much of a difference one way or the other.
System-based is still a bit limited (I'd like to be able to keep my friend list should I change my console, or even share them between console/portable).

But I must say that a FAR prefer account names being something else than nicknames... Be it numerical IDs, logins, anything they want. But allow me to use my usual nickname on the network even if someone used the same nickname three years ago in another world region. I really hate having strange names (especially those with numbers) in my friends lists. At least, this is more easy with the friend code system.

birdchili

swerve said:
Yeah, I blame American lawyers and British tabloid newspapers.
i blame nintendo. no one else is doing this, are they?

they're the official nanny-state console, trying to protect us from our oh-so-dangerous selves with our irresponsible gaming habits and obviously unhealthy lifestyles. preachy, condescending, and infuriating.

it's all part of their new image portraying gaming as part of this nutritious breakfast, but they're alienating as many people as they're bringing in, and they're hurting their reputation as developers of no-nonsense interfaces and gameplay-centric software.

swerve

-WindYoshi- said:
Dr. Gakman was right all along!?

No, because didn't he say the controller *was* the console? That can't work because some families have more than one user, and to take away the entire console is to deprive others.

Koren said:
System-based is still a bit limited (I'd like to be able to keep my friend list should I change my console, or even share them between console/portable).

But I must say that a FAR prefer account names being something else than nicknames... Be it numerical IDs, logins, anything they want. But allow me to use my usual nickname on the network even if someone used the same nickname three years ago in another world region. I really hate having strange names (especially those with numbers) in my friends lists. At least, this is more easy with the friend code system.
I don't mind if it's a friend code with an option to set up an email linked account where I'm free to use any nickname. That'd pretty much cover everything.

Krev said:
Read the last few pages. Or better yet, wait until Monday. If you don't know by then, wait until E3.
Nintendo's crazy risks can end up paying off amazingly or being absolutely horrible, but they never make much sense when you first hear about them.
Outside the box thinking is like that.

hmm you're right. but with the DS and Wii i kinda got the point immediately, but this time i'm stumped.

oh well. will be interesting to see.

Do the people who want pointer controls also want the controller work when the TV is off? Because I don't see how both ideas work together, unless you're actually pointing at your controller screen.

Anyway, one last silly mockup before the bonfire.
Kooloo-Limpah!
bgVLr.jpg

V_Ben said:

I predict Nintendo will reveal some kind of online service and call it Nintendo ON.
:p

swerve

birdchili said:
they're alienating as many people as they're bringing in, and they're hurting their reputation as developers of no-nonsense interfaces and gameplay-centric software.

I agree with this, but I've also watched them get slammed for everything from epilepsy (when apparently SNES SF2 could cause it but Genesis SF2 didn't!), through 'mario party blisters' where they sent out gloves, through Wii Remote Jackets and Straps, and of course the 'pokemon causes seizures' nonsense after that cartoon...

You can see how they got there, because they make so much of the software. But I'm glad they are scaling it back on 3DS already.

[Nintex]

Skiesofwonder said:
Looking like Nintendo is going to stream their investor meeting. Get your bodies ready.
wat, they've never done this before(?)

well they usually do a 2 week late video thing with some powerpoint slides but never live.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
With a touchscreen in the controller, it may actually be feasible to have a 3DS player made for this thing, like the GBA player for the GameCube.

swerve

Andrex said:
With a touchscreen in the controller, it may actually be feasible to have a 3DS player made for this thing, like the GBA player for the GameCube.

*pictures andrex sat next to his huge screen tv holding the controller in front of his face, below the tv, to get the perspective right*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
swerve said:
*pictures andrex sat next to his huge screen tv holding the controller in front of his face, below the tv, to get the perspective right*

:p You got me pegged.

BGBW said:
Really? Now I can feel like a real Nintendo investor. I'll put on my best suit.
It would be awesome if they let those with a web cam have a silent seat at the conference. just a monitor at the table that displayed random people...monitored of course.

birdchili

swerve said:
I agree with this, but I've also watched them get slammed for everything from epilepsy (when apparently SNES SF2 could cause it but Genesis SF2 didn't!), through 'mario party blisters' where they sent out gloves, through Wii Remote Jackets and Straps, and of course the 'pokemon causes seizures' nonsense after that cartoon...

You can see how they got there, because they make so much of the software. But I'm glad they are scaling it back on 3DS already.
it still seems like a ridiculous overreaction. you'd think having the ability to disable warnings in the config somewhere would still appease the powers that be.

and stop telling me to go outside! if you would just consult with the weather channel, you'd realize that it's freezing, blowing gale-force, and dumping slushy rain out there... it is, quite obviously, wonderful weather for gaming.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
KrawlMan said:
Sorry if this has been stated somewhere already, but when is said investor meeting?

Takes place on the 26th of April, but I believe that is japan time which is a day ahead of America, so:

3AM EST April 25th (?)

radcliff

Shikamaru Ninja said:
That was just the piece of land. Barren piece of land. Is the construction, equipment, R&D hire and transfer all active assets too?

They can probaly capitalize some of those costs, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom