• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ksamedi said:
Pretty much every rumor says there is a screen. I think its time we should just accept its true.

Miyamoto has just told you not to believe everything you read.

Seeing as all the speculation is regarding the screen, I'd say that's the most likely one to throw out the window.

GDGF

Soothsayer
gofreak said:
So they are basically separating out the wiimote from this? I guess that's the easiest route from a design POV. Wonder if every system will come with both controllers. I assume the new controller-with-screen is being pitched as the primary one?

People should really take the HipHopGamer report from PAX more seriously, I think. He called a bunch of these rumors back on March 20th...a good while before GI did. One of the things he mentioned was Nintendo's goal being for all controllers to work for all games.

For those that haven't seen it yet...

http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/1570...w-technology-and-more-hhgs-32011-pax-edition/

It's 15:00 in. You have to let the stream catch up, though. This guy should get credit for breaking the news IMO.

Still amazed how many people think a pulse oxymeter would sell a new console to the masses. Just take the pen pointer idea and add a rectal thermometer or something.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DECK'ARD said:

Seeing as all the speculation is regarding the screen, I'd say that's the most likely one to throw out the window.

I don't know- its coming from a ton of different places. I know it is Kotaku, but Totilo is pretty good.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Graphics Horse said:
Still amazed how many people think a pulse oxymeter would sell a new console to the masses. Just take the pen pointer idea and add a rectal thermometer or something.

I'm sure many would be happy to finally play Boong-Ga Boong-Ga on a home console.

ksamedi

DECK'ARD said:

You mean the screen is the one most likely to be true, because a lot of sources confirm this. The ones you should throw out are the ones that are only coming from a single source.

Vinci

Danish
apana said:
How does a giant touchscreen do anything for third parties?

Within what approximates a standard controller? Maybe nothing, maybe something. The point is the controls around it - that's what the 3rd parties want. They sure as hell don't have the slightest interest in the Wii Remote Revisited.

apana

ksamedi said:
You mean the screen is the one most likely to be true, because a lot of sources confirm this. The ones you should throw out are the ones that are only coming from a single source.

What other rumors? The screen is what everyone is discussing.

dwu8991

Banned
Holy carp, what is going on with this controller. All of this can't be possibly be true.
Nintendo are really making something special.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
schuelma said:
I don't know- its coming from a ton of different places. I know it is Kotaku, but Totilo is pretty good.

Touchscreen in controller rumours did the rounds with Revolution as well.

These last few days have been odd, especially involving Nintendo of all companies, but the rumours don't add up in a way that's compelling at all. And they've tried to be so specific in nature, that if bits of it are wrong (as Miyamoto has said) then it's probably more speculation than anything else. They've done wonders for site hits.

Nintendo have never had anything leak like this to this degree before, so taking it all with a large pinch of salt until hopefully we hear something from the Investor's Meeting.

dwu8991 said:
Holy carp, what is going on with this controller. All of this can't be possibly be true.
Nintendo are really making something special.

It'll probably be more more basic than all these silly guesses but deceptively deep and include ideas thay were brought up in this thread.

Pyrokai said:
This quote of his makes me actually think they WON'T announce anything at E3. Just my gut feeling, but it's probably completely off.

Also, he didn't really say anything they never said 5 years ago. He said the usual stuff: we're always working on new hardware, etc.

Nintendo denies the existince of all their units until announcement. even if the announcement is a week away (because this actually happened)

Woffls

DECK'ARD said:

eh? There's been lots of speculation not regarding the screen. The only reason that's what most people are talking about is that it's likely to be the main feature, and has been mentioned by pretty much all of the sources. It lines up with prior statements, sources and their philosophy.

He is probably just saying that we shouldn't believe things like it coming out in 2011, having Zelda SS ported over, having a Bluray drive(?), full backwards compatability... that kind of thing. Though, for the record, the latter 2 are likely.

apana

Vinci said:
Within what approximates a standard controller? Maybe nothing, maybe something. The point is the controls around it - that's what the 3rd parties want. They sure as hell don't have the slightest interest in the Wii Remote Revisited.

Add a second analog stick to the Wii mote, problem solved. Now it's the best controller ever. As for vitality sensor, you could add a biofeedback membrane thing on the back. Even if you didn't have a vitality sensor maybe a small touch screen with haptic feedback on the front of the wii mote would be cool. It all makes much more sense to me than a classic controller with a six inch screen in the middle.

Vinci

Danish
apana said:
Add a second analog stick to the Wii mote, problem solved.

No, because it will still lack buttons. Seriously, man, if Nintendo wants 3rd parties it needs to have a controller they want to work with. What they're accustomed to. Throwing at touchscreen onto one? No big deal. Telling them, "Hey, we compromised by creating a Frankenmote!" isn't going to cut it.

Graphics Horse said:
Don't take it as the main selling point of the console just as an extra feature. Plus i haven't seen many people in the topic (maybe 1 or 2) hyping this as the ultimate.

PantherLotus said:
hey will someone quote and mock my mockup from a few pages back please? i know it was just for fun but i need attention feedback.

no rounded screens. how does that even work? I have never even seen rounded screens before

Pyrokai said:
This quote of his makes me actually think they WON'T announce anything at E3. Just my gut feeling, but it's probably completely off.

Also, he didn't really say anything they never said 5 years ago. He said the usual stuff: we're always working on new hardware, etc.

While I do think that they will reveal the new hardware at E3, i'm starting to wonder how Nintendo is going to convey it all. I mean we have:
-New Hardware
-Games shown for new hardware
-3DS games

Can this all be done in an hour and a half?

Edit: I forgot all about the Wii lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OK--tornadoes went through and took down my internet since Tuesday evening.

Any new rumors/information released since then?

NateDrake

GDGF said:
People should really take the HipHopGamer report from PAX more seriously, I think. He called a bunch of these rumors back on March 20th...a good while before GI did. One of the things he mentioned was Nintendo's goal being for all controllers to work for all games.

For those that haven't seen it yet...

http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/1570...w-technology-and-more-hhgs-32011-pax-edition/

It's 15:00 in. You have to let the stream catch up, though. This guy should get credit for breaking the news IMO.
He gives vague generalizations as guesses and if anything remotely comes close to being true doesn't make him right. A new Wii in HD was obvious to predict. Patcher said the same thing in 2007. Doesn't make him right now either. Giving predictable guesses with no information is a reason no one takes HHG seriously.

NewFresh

Plinko said:
OK--tornadoes went through and took down my internet since Tuesday evening.

Any new rumors/information released since then?
Not really. Just a bunch of news outlets restating what we already know.

I guess kotaku said it has 8 buttons

robor

Vinci said:
No, because it will still lack buttons. Seriously, man, if Nintendo wants 3rd parties it needs to have a controller they want to work with. What they're accustomed to. Throwing at touchscreen onto one? No big deal. Telling them, "Hey, we compromised by creating a Frankenmote!" isn't going to cut it.

GC button layout (including another button on the left shoulder) with Pro Classic shell and you've got what I consider the best Nintendo contr.......no wait, THE best controller ever made imho.

apana

Vinci said:

Forget about vitality sensors and touch screens for a second. Which major third party games could not be done with a wii-mote that had a nunchuk and second analog stick?

Vinci

Danish
apana said:
Forget about vitality sensors and touch screens for a second. Which major third party games could not be done with a wii-mote that had a nunchuk and second analog stick?

I'm not talking about what's feasible. In this particular situation, Nintendo is trying to appeal to 3rd parties - they're wanting to appease them. A nod to them isn't enough. They need to do exactly what 3rd parties want, and 3rd parties by and large have had no interest whatsoever in anything resembling the Wii Remote.

Seriously, if they do what you're suggesting, 3rd parties will have yet another excuse for not fucking with the thing.

Foffy

Banned
DragonKnight said:
While I do think that they will reveal the new hardware at E3, i'm starting to wonder how Nintendo is going to convey it all. I mean we have:
-New Hardware
-Games shown for new hardware
-3DS games

Can this all be done in an hour and a half?

Edit: I forgot all about the Wii lol

What Nintendo will likely do is talk about their fall lineup (Dates for Wii titles and 3DS games after the Ocarina remake), and talk about the new system.

They also usually have their roundtable discussion after the conference, and that's where the usual sweet stuff pops up. We got the first trailer to Super Smash Bros Brawl from that IIRC, as well as the confirmation of Pikmin and Zelda titles for Wii. Even Ocarina of Time was confirmed to being remade for the 3DS and was announced as such at that event.

What they fail to showcase at their conference will clearly be shown at their roundtable.

Dr. Feel Good said:
Honestly I've thought since like 2007 that Nintendo's next controller would be a step towards what everyone in the world is also already adapted to and that's a cellphone.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BEz1fRzsL.jpg

Obviously with less buttons, and add shoulder buttons. But it's easy to pick up, easy to hold in multiple ways, and the screen could act as a touch screen and also a gypsy like analog stick by pulling a switch that made it move through pressure.

Easy to hold? Are you sure?

dwu8991

Banned
Zeal said:
two analog sticks more or less confirmed and motion features. hardcore AND casual win.

Plus it will force developers to put more effort into their games to make use of the touchscreen.

I honestly can not wait for this to be revealed, it will change the face of gaming as we know it.

No more going back to duel analogue controls. Every controller onwards will have to have a touch screen as standard.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Vinci said:
I'm not talking about what's feasible. In this particular situation, Nintendo is trying to appeal to 3rd parties - they're wanting to appease them. A nod to them isn't enough. They need to do exactly what 3rd parties want, and 3rd parties by and large have had no interest whatsoever in anything resembling the Wii Remote.

Seriously, if they do what you're suggesting, 3rd parties will have yet another excuse for not fucking with the thing.

The main sticking point for 3rd parties was the power differential, not the controller.

Adapting controls is a walk in the park compared to trying to squash an HD game into an SD console. Familiarity when something is as successful as the Wii is important, for a lot of people it was their introduction to gaming or their re-introduction back to it. You evolve the controller, not radically change it. Same with the move from the NES to the SNES, which also was the introduction of a lot of people to gaming.

3rd parties will automatically want to be onboard a third revenue stream, it just has to be made cost effective to do so. And not create the catch 22 situation the Wii did where it was too much bother to port, leading to missing franchises or spin-off games which then cemented the Wii as a platform not for those games.

apana said:
Mounting a second stick to the remote is not practical, because its confusing to use while aiming/pointing.

Also with smart design you can almost port any game control scheme to wiimote/nunchuk. In fact doing a slight redesign to the nunchuck would make doing this even easier.

apana

Vinci said:

Well I don't know what kind of discussions third parties and Nintendo have had on the topic but it always seemed like the Wii-Mote was never a huge issue, the issue was the power of the machine. The fact that Wii couldn't run any games.

Foffy said:
What Nintendo will likely do is talk about their fall lineup (Dates for Wii titles and 3DS games after the Ocarina remake), and talk about the new system.

They also usually have their roundtable discussion after the conference, and that's where the usual sweet stuff pops up. We got the first trailer to Super Smash Bros Brawl from that IIRC, as well as the confirmation of Pikmin and Zelda titles for Wii. Even Ocarina of Time was confirmed to being remade for the 3DS and was announced as such at that event.

What they fail to showcase at their conference will clearly be shown at their roundtable.

Completely forgot about this. Now i'm way too excited.

carlo6529

Vinci said:

Nintendo isn't gonna bow down and take it though. I'd reckon the gamecube is a machine that you could say 3rd parties wanted and we all know how that turned out.

Raide

dwu8991 said:
Plus it will force developers to put more effort into their games to make use of the touchscreen.

I honestly can not wait for this to be revealed, it will change the face of gaming as we know it.

No more going back to duel analogue controls. Every controller onwards will have to have a touch screen as standard.

Hrmmm...if the Wii taught us anything, its that Developers will shoehorn in stuff just because they can. How many Wii developers just shoved in some mini-games and waggle, just because it was there.

Some of the good developers will make some interesting uses of a touchscreen, aka like the DS but you will get the rest just chucking HUD bits and you may even get some developers just leaving a nice background on it.

agrajag

Banned
apana said:
Well I don't know what kind of discussions third parties and Nintendo have had on the topic but it always seemed like the Wii-Mote was never a huge issue, the issue was the power of the machine. The fact that Wii couldn't run any games.

This. The Wiimote+Nunchuck with an analog stickon the wiimote can do anything a traditional gamepad can do, and then some. I don't see how it would be an issue at all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Skiesofwonder said:
In case anyone missed it, IGN has a very informative mailbag on project cafe.

- still saying the platform is significantly more powerful than 360/PS3

Come on, IGN...be right just this once.

JCRedeems

Banned
I hope Nintendo releases an interface no one even remotely imagined like the touch screen, balance board, and Wiimote.

Nintendo droppin' bombs on peeps with their wacky creativity.

1-D_FTW

Graphics Horse said:

It's just a cool enhancement that replaces the controller plastic with plastic that has an additional function. It's not like you have to ram it up your butthole to get readings. You'd never even know it was there if developers didn't use it. And if they did, it could have really cool enhancements to the game.

I keep telling people but nobody listens to me. IF you actually do some research you can see the new console. go to the uspto website. make sure you have the tiff viewer plug in.

You can see the patents for it. it will have an upgraded wii mote with a wireless nuncheck. The IR camera (the one at the end of the wiimote) will be upgraded and it will have the wiimote + integrated. The sensorbar will have more added to it. one patent shows led light effects on the sensor bar and upgraded main console.

Thats what the wii 2 will be. Not this touch screen controller stuff.

Soroc

I think what Totilo said may have some credence.

I've been thinking about this a lot. What point would it be for Nintendo to add a second screen to the living room experience.

One of Nintendo's biggest struggles is maintaining development groups across two or even three platforms.

Last generation Nintendo's key phrase was "Blue Ocean".

I think this generation key phrase will be called "Synergy".

By Nintendo having two screens across their platforms they can share assets and game ideas from both portable and home experiences as well as their digital distribution efforts in the upcoming generation.

I think this will allow Nintendo more flexibility in development across all platforms and also open new revenue streams and lower development costs across platforms for 3rd party developers. (Think Capcom MT Framework)

Also with the controller having all button functionality of traditional controllers but with an added functionality of the screen could make multi-platform games have "added value" or "added perceived value" compared to the competition.

Just some thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom