• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
agrajag said:
This. The Wiimote+Nunchuck with an analog stickon the wiimote can do anything a traditional gamepad can do, and then some. I don't see how it would be an issue at all.
Don't like to say this to another person but you are wrong. You don't put the stick there because pointing while using the stick mounted in the remote its very confusing. Hell, Nintendo tried that but it didn't work.

A redesigned Nunchuk with the Wii remote owns any traditional controller (360/Ps3) no problems for the majority of genres, others not so much :D

KevinCow

Banned
apana said:
Add a second analog stick to the Wii mote, problem solved. Now it's the best controller ever. As for vitality sensor, you could add a biofeedback membrane thing on the back. Even if you didn't have a vitality sensor maybe a small touch screen with haptic feedback on the front of the wii mote would be cool. It all makes much more sense to me than a classic controller with a six inch screen in the middle.

Why would Nintendo want to just revisit the Wii, but better? The last time they tried the whole "What we did last-gen, but better" thing, they got the Gamecube, their least successful system ever.

These days, they seem to be all about throwing some crazy major new feature on their system. Dual screens, motion controls, glassesless 3D? That gets attention. They try to do things that are different from what everyone else is doing. That gets attention. Right now, the rest of the industry is trying to gravitate towards casual. Everyone seems to have their own wand or camera and all sorts of fitness and sports games. Doing the Wii again but adding a few features to make it the Super Wii simply wouldn't work. It wouldn't work for the casuals, who would say, "But I just bought a Wii a few years ago, why do I want to buy another one?" and it wouldn't work for the core, who would say, "But I didn't buy a Wii, so why would I buy a new one now?"

JCRedeems

Banned
majortom1981 said:
I keep telling people but nobody listens to me. IF you actually do some research you can see the new console. go to the uspto website. make sure you have the tiff viewer plug in.

You can see the patents for it. it will have an upgraded wii mote with a wireless nuncheck. The IR camera will be upgraded and it will have the wiim ote + integrated. The sensorbar will have more added to it. one patent shows led light effects on the sensor bar and upgraded main console.

Thats what the wii 2 will be. Not this touch screen controller stuff.

And you really think that's what is going to take to reach 100 + million consoles sold which the Wii is en route to selling? I don't think so. Nintendo is coming out with something no one expects. I am 99% certain of it.

1-D_FTW

majortom1981 said:
I keep telling people but nobody listens to me. IF you actually do some research you can see the new console. go to the uspto website. make sure you have the tiff viewer plug in.

You can see the patents for it. it will have an upgraded wii mote with a wireless nuncheck. The IR camera (the one at the end of the wiimote) will be upgraded and it will have the wiimote + integrated. The sensorbar will have more added to it. one patent shows led light effects on the sensor bar and upgraded main console.

There's this thing called "Print Screen". Why don't you snap a picture and post it in this thread then.

agrajag

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Don't like to say this to another person but you are wrong. You don't put the stick there because pointing while using the stick mounted in the remote its very confusing. Hell, Nintendo tried that but it didn't work.

A redesigned Nunchuk with the Wii remote owns any traditional controller (360/Ps3) no problems for the majority of genres, others not so much :D

Why would it be confusing to anyone that has average hand eye coordination and motor skills? And when did Nintendo try it, pray tell?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
apana said:
What other rumors? The screen is what everyone is discussing.
Because it is the most intriguing and difficult to rationalize. Whatever hardware Nintendo go with from the rumored possibilities it will make some sense. If the rumored specs were outlandish, eight core 5GHz processor, dual GTX 590's then you would have a lot of discussion about that. Close to off the shelf components at a moderate performance level from companies they have contracted with in the past isn't gonna light a whole of speculation.
Speaking of which, I wonder if the tegra rumors might end up being about the Wii2 controller rather than the 3DS. Would be a little bit pricey I would think, but you never know.

StevieP

Banned
Fuck dual-analog, it sucks for so many genres. I liked it better when we were speculating about wm+ and upgraded nunchucks with a 6" tablet on the side doing something.

NateDrake

Anticitizen One said:
damn Hiphop gamer has damn good sources. He basically predicted all of these rumors months ago.
He said a Wii HD, Nintendo will focus on hardcore games, and maybe a new controller. No information on anything, guesses on the power of the machine, or anything of the sort. A new system was obviously coming, Nintendo always wants hardcore gamers initially even with Wii but things changed quickly, and they always change controllers. It doesn't make him right as he shared no information at all.

In 2014 Sony will announce a new system, it'll have better graphics, same controller, AND it will have a very big HDD in the 1terabyte range. IF in 2yrs that comes true, then I'm HHG.

brochiller said:
Did he say anything else of importance?

He said that it will have some form of 3D functionality. Wether that means it takes advantage of 3DTVs or uses a 3DS screen or something is unclear.

In 2014 Sony will announce a new system, it'll have better graphics, same controller, AND it will have a very big HDD in the 1terabyte range. IF in 2yrs that comes true, then I'm HHG.

By 2014 the new Sony system will have already been out for at least a year and will probably have a smaller hard drive since everything is going on the cloud. Your way off dude.

Refreshment.01 said:

Pretty much. The only genre that could possibly be "better" would be the traditional fighter...but that is only because they are painstakingly designed to optimally fit to a dpad. Traditional fighters are just that, traditional. It would be like trying to put Another Code to the wii, knowing damn well some of the puzzles would literally be impossible due to them using nearly every feature the DS has to offer.

Make one that fits it, and then we are talking...but nearly every other genre, wiimote-chuck wins.

Edit: Actually, if they add a "3" and "4" button to the wiimote, and a few shoulder buttons(which would only be active in NES mode), then it would be fine. Not that it would happen, but still...it would work.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
KevinCow said:
Why would Nintendo want to just revisit the Wii, but better? The last time they tried the whole "What we did last-gen, but better" thing, they got the Gamecube, their least successful system ever.

These days, they seem to be all about throwing some crazy major new feature on their system. Dual screens, motion controls, glassesless 3D? That gets attention. They try to do things that are different from what everyone else is doing. That gets attention. Right now, the rest of the industry is trying to gravitate towards casual. Everyone seems to have their own wand or camera and all sorts of fitness and sports games. Doing the Wii again but adding a few features to make it the Super Wii simply wouldn't work. It wouldn't work for the casuals, who would say, "But I just bought a Wii a few years ago, why do I want to buy another one?" and it wouldn't work for the core, who would say, "But I didn't buy a Wii, so why would I buy a new one now?"

NES -> SNES did just fine, and the Wii is very like the NES in that it was like a reset to the industry bringing in a lot of new gamers and getting people back into games.

Of course it will have an angle, but that angle won't involve throwing out what made the Wii important or it's recognisable aspects. Familiarity is important to retain people. The 3DS didn't throw away the DS form-factor, the Wii 2 won't throw away the remote.

Nintendo's angle will be something leftfield, some out of the box thinking again, and as said time and time again it won't be the technology that is the selling point it will be how its applied. A massive touchscreen in the middle of a controller would be incredibly lazy thinking, with a whole host of downsides which go against everything Nintendo has prioritised with controllers in the past.

agrajag

Banned
KevinCow said:

Because with N64 they were building on already shitty
sort of
product that didn't have the necessary market share to capitalize on. Plus, they made the system a fucking purple lunch box, with a weird, proprietary disc format.

Why not use the NES --> SNES evolution as an example of building on something that works, making it better and as a result reaping enormous financial gains?

Anticitizen One said:
He said that it will have some form of 3D functionality. Wether that means it takes advantage of 3DTVs or uses a 3DS screen or something is unclear.

I could see it using come kind of simulated 3D using head tracking or something. Nintendo has already said that they aren't a fan of 3D using glasses, and it would steal a lot of thunder and be very expensive if they were to actually include a 3D screen in the controller.

agrajag

Banned
StevieP said:
Fuck dual-analog, it sucks for so many genres. I liked it better when we were speculating about wm+ and upgraded nunchucks with a 6" tablet on the side doing something.

No, fuck THAT. I don't want to pay an extra $150 for a packed in tablet that won't even be necessary for many games at the expense of less powerful hardware.

Red UFO

agrajag said:
Why not use the NES --> SNES evolution as an example of building on something that works, making it better and as a result reaping enormous financial gains?

The video game market of today is VERY different to the video game market of the early 90's.

wsippel

Banned
majortom1981 said:

You can see the patents for it. it will have an upgraded wii mote with a wireless nuncheck. The IR camera (the one at the end of the wiimote) will be upgraded and it will have the wiimote + integrated. The sensorbar will have more added to it. one patent shows led light effects on the sensor bar and upgraded main console.

Nintendo patents billions of things all the time and never uses the stuff. In this case, I'd personally believe IGN, GI and all the other sources over some random patented brain farts of some Nintendo engineers.

StevieP

Banned
agrajag said:
No, fuck THAT. I don't want to pay an extra $150 for a packed in tablet that won't even be necessary for many games at the expense of less powerful hardware.

It's better than a dreamcast controller with a 6" screen in the middle. Dual-analog is a regression for all but a few genres (fighting/racing, really).

Woffls

OH, I'm probably about 250 pages late on this, but we could use the controller screen as a rear-view mirror! :D Did that actually ever happen?

I really hope the screen is rotatable. I'd like to be able to play some games full screen landscape remotely, especially Gamecube/Wii/Virtual Console titles. I also hope my VC purchases are transferrable, because I still have Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda unplayed due to the component cable issue >_>

agrajag said:
Nintendo consoles probably aren't for you, then. The tablet has a lot of potential, and it's no good having all that extra power if 3rd parties are just going to port PS360 games until 2014...

NateDrake

Anticitizen One said:
By 2014 the new Sony system will have already been out for at least a year and will probably have a smaller hard drive since everything is going on the cloud. Your way off dude.
If you honestly think a new PS system is launching in 2013 you are going to disappointed. The point is if even half my "predictions" are right it's the same as what HHG does. People only remember the 1% he is close to right and not the 99% of stuff he is wrong on.

Furret

Banned
agrajag said:
Because with N64 they were building on already shitty
sort of
product that didn't have the necessary market share to capitalize on. Plus, they made the system a fucking purple lunch box, with a weird, proprietary disc format.

They still lost market share from the NES to the SNES, in fact that was the start of the downhill slide.

Zeal

Banned
i think most people would take dual analogs over the wiimote/nunchuck any day. i know i would.

thank god Nintendo has listened to reason. i think it's all the third parties bitching at nintendo that pushed them to bring back the analogs.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
If the new controller does have a screen it'll be interesting to see if it's actually useful to gameplay. I know some people say it can replace an on screen HUD, but we've already seen solutions to that and they work great. This would simply be an alternative that may or may not be a gimmick. There's also using the touch screen as an inventory. I find this puzzling because in most cases, if I have to look at a second screen I would want to pause the game anyway. It makes you wonder what use having a screen on the controller would provide and if so why they didn't just use the 3DS for it. The whole idea behind streaming the game to the controller seems like it would have been more beneficial with what ever digital solution Nintendo has for downloadable games. Why not make downloadable games that are playable on both systems?

StevieP

Banned
Zeal said:
i think most people would take dual analogs over the wiimote/nunchuck any day. i know i would.

thank god Nintendo has listened to reason. i think it's all the third parties bitching at them that pushed them to bring them back.

Most people didn't this generation, hence 90 million Wiis being out there. Hence Sony and MS spending billions on their own solutions.

Playing an FPS/RTS game on dual-analog is archaic. And I'm not even going to mention the freedom of having a split controller.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Zeal said:

thank god Nintendo has listened to reason. i think it's all the third parties bitching at nintendo that pushed them to bring back the analogs.
I concur. The only games I saw benefit from the Wiimote was RE4 and Wii Sports. In every other instance I would prefer another method of control.

Zeal

Banned
Woffls said:
The tablet has a lot of potential, and it's no good having all that extra power if 3rd parties are just going to port PS360 games until 2014...
which is probably more or less what's gonna happen.

agrajag

Banned
Woffls said:
Nintendo consoles probably aren't for you, then. The tablet has a lot of potential, and it's no good having all that extra power if 3rd parties are just going to port PS360 games until 2014...

I've been playing their consoles going on two decades, who are you to tell me what's for me and what's not? If they need to have a touchscreen, it has to be built into the main controller. If it's a stand alone thing, it should be sold as an accessory.

StevieP said:
It's better than a dreamcast controller with a 6" screen in the middle. Dual-analog is a regression for all but a few genres (fighting/racing, really).

No way. Controlling most genres with a touchscreen and ONLY touchscreen is much worse than a doual analog/touchscreen combo any day. I guess you'd rather play games on an iPhone than a DS, huh?

Furret said:
They still lost market share from the NES to the SNES, in fact that was the start of the downhill slide.

After the video games crash of the 80's, they had no one to compete against with the NES, while they lost half of the market share to the Genesis later on, which started during the NES generation. However, together with Sega, they expanded the market overall.

apana

KevinCow said:

The Wii wasn't only succesful because it was new, it was a more intuitive way to control games. Besides you can innovate by adding stuff onto the wii mote. Add a little haptic feedback screen that can replace the A button. You could add a touch pad somewhere, or maybea bio-feedback membrane on the back.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
StevieP said:
Most people didn't this generation, hence 90 million Wiis being out there.
Playing an FPS/RTS game on dual-analog is archaic.
Maybe an RTS game, but not a FPS. If the controls were that superior, people would be flocking to the Wii to get their FPS fix. Instead they're going to 360 or PC as the primary FPS choice.

Zeal

Banned
StevieP said:
Playing an FPS/RTS game on dual-analog is archaic.

i have noticed almost everything you post in this thread is idiotic.

ALL of the top selling FPS games today are on 360/PS3, with ANALOGS, and all of the top selling RTS games are on PC, with keyboard and mouse.

stop talking.

StevieP

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Maybe an RTS game, but not a FPS. If the controls were that superior, people would be flocking to the Wii to get their FPS fix. Instead they're going to 360 or PC as the primary FPS choice.

Sorry, but having a pointer is far superior to auto-aimed analog sticks. People chose the 360 as the dudebro console for many many other reasons, not the first of which being the gulf in horsepower. CoD plays MUCH better on the Wiimote (and even better on KBM) than it does on sticks, but it looks much shittier on the Wii.

i have noticed almost everything you post in this thread is idiotic.

It's pretty clear that you haven't played any first person games on Wii. Or any lightgun games. Or anything that plays much better with a pointer of some kind.

Zeal said:
which is probably more or less what's gonna happen.

True, but hopefully they can come up with unique ways to use the touchscreen of the controller enough that it will make people want to buy the Cafe version over the 360/PS3 version. This is what Nintendo ideally aims for I think. They want their console to give gamers a better experience playing games than they could on other systems.

apana

MadOdorMachine said:

Wii can't run those games with the same graphics and it doesn't with proper online services so it's not a fair comparison. Pointing is superior for third person and first person shooters.

Deguello

apana said:
Wii can't run those games with the same graphics and it doesn't with proper online services so it's not a fair comparison. Pointing is superior for third person and first person shooters.

I'll back that up. RE4 Wii Edition is a game I still regularly play, and I actually can't stand to play the older version or RE5 because of it. I was able to beat Professional on Wii Edition just because the controls are that much better.

Hiltz

More rumor news coming from Kotaku:

- more sources confirm a touchscreen, two analog sticks and a camera for the controller
- screen will measure 6.2 inches
- controller will also include eight buttons
- controller is being positioned as a replacement for the Wiimote
- console will support Wiimote/Nunchuk
- new games may be built around Wiimote/Nunchuk, or the Project Cafe controller, or both
- two players may be able to use different control options, one on Wiimote/Nunchuk and one on Project Cafe controller
- controller will receive data wirelessly from the console
- uses for the screen/streaming could be putting the player's inventory or map on the controller screen, and allow gamers to combine it with the controller's camera to snap photos that could be imported into a game
- controller screen may be used for a separate experience altogether

http://kotaku.com/#!5794424/fresh-details-of-wii-2s-unusual-controller-and-why-it-wont-kill-the-wii-remote

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
StevieP said:
Sorry, but having a pointer is far superior to auto-aimed analog sticks. People chose the 360 as the dudebro console for many many other reasons, not the first of which being the gulf in horsepower. CoD plays MUCH better on the Wiimote (and even better on KBM) than it does on sticks, but it looks much shittier on the Wii.

It's pretty clear that you haven't played any first person games on Wii. Or any lightgun games. Or anything that plays much better with a pointer of some kind.
I try really hard not to attack people's character. You are providing quite a challenge for me.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pointer capabilities can be quite easily enhanced for the Wii 2 as well with a higher resolution camera, more tracking points to distinguish between rouge sources better, and a wider angle lens.

Dual-analog is 'popular' because of the necessity of it being there to play the games on the consoles they end up on.

It's far from ideal for FPS, and one of the most unintuitive controls schemes around in games today. It's best application is dual-stick shooters like Super Stardust which have been around since the birth of videogames.

Woffls

agrajag said:
I've been playing their consoles going on two decades, who are you to tell me what's for me and what's not? If they need to have a touchscreen, it has to be built into the main controller. If it's a stand alone thing, it should be sold as an accessory.
We're pretty sure it's not going to be a standalone tablet, rather one that is built into the controller. Your comment implied that, either way, you'd forsake it for more power, hence my suggestion. If that's not accurate, then I offer my apologies. Though, you did exactly the same to another user in a subsequent update in your post.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Anticitizen One said:

He also said multiple controller options available for all games, which meshes with this recent Kotoku rumor.

Kotoku said:
- two players may be able to use different control options, one on Wiimote/Nunchuk and one on Project Cafe controller

Hiltz said:
More rumor news coming from Kotaku:

- more sources confirm a touchscreen, two analog sticks and a camera for the controller
- screen will measure 6.2 inches
- controller will also include eight buttons
- controller is being positioned as a replacement for the Wiimote
- console will support Wiimote/Nunchuk
- new games may be built around Wiimote/Nunchuk, or the Project Cafe controller, or both
- controller will receive data wirelessly from the console
- uses for the screen/streaming could be putting the player's inventory or map on the controller screen, and allow gamers to combine it with the controller's camera to snap photos that could be imported into a game
- controller screen may be used for a separate experience altogether

http://kotaku.com/#!5794424/fresh-details-of-wii-2s-unusual-controller-and-why-it-wont-kill-the-wii-remote
Doesn't sound like it's being positioned to replace the Wiimote if that second bold part is true.

StevieP

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I try really hard not to attack people's character. You are providing quite a challenge for me.

I don't want to sound like Amir0x here, but it's a fact that there are genres that play better with a pointer of some kind. Shooters are one of those genres.

Edit: And as has been mentioned before (by the same Amir0x, in fact), the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo can successfully be used for the overwhelming majority of genres out there, as is - aside from perhaps complex 2D fighers. Going backwards in time is a stupid move for them. It would be akin to Nintendo releasing the Wii with a 3-pronged single-analog controler.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Doesn't sound like it's being positioned to replace the Wiimote if that second bold part is true.

I think he meant to write "controller is not being positioned to replace Wiimote." That's what it says in the article anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom