• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father_Brain said:
So what's the cheapest that a controller with a 6" touchscreen could possibly be?

Single-touch? Don't see any reason you couldn't do it for $80.

Deku said:
So you want this thing to come with 3-4 controllers out of the box? It's not going to happen.

Wacky Cafe Controller + Cafe-Branded Wiimote Plus is two. What else would you need?

Its main controller, as rumored, will include a touchscreen, two analog sticks and a camera, we've confirmed with our own games industry sources who are familiar with Nintendo's plans for the machine.

They better bring something really impressive to E3 because that sounds like a terrible idea.

If it is a secondary thing to the Wii remote, then I can stomach that.

Beth Cyra

I am just fine thinking about the system being PS3/Xbox360 type power, HD Zelda and Mario along with a hopefully a Dolphin like SM would be good.

Them dropping the pointer for Dual Analog though would make me reconsider getting it. Prime 3 is my favorite shooter specifically because how easy it was to just move threw the world, if I need to something up to the right, a quick flick it was shot down, my camara never having to chage or me slowing down at all.

wsippel

Banned
Wasn't there a rumor recently that The World Ends With You 2 would be at E3? I originally assumed it would be 3DS game (if at all true) because of the touchscreen controls, but it now seems the sequel doesn't have to be a handheld game anymore... lol

Koren

MadOdorMachine said:
Motion controls don't replace buttons. They are not as precise and not as quick.
Full motion, maybe not. Gesture? I really disagree. Any musician know that the larger the move, the more precise it becomes. You don't press the touchs on a piano, you hammer them from some height. And when you want to set the time, you move the arm or the foot, not the toe.

You won't manage high frequencies with gestures, of course, like button mashing. But I really don't thing that a quck shake is slower or less precise than a button press. And some controls works actually quite well with gestures.

Gestures won't replace buttons. But they may complement them, and reduce the number of buttons you need.

KarmaCow

wsippel said:
Wasn't there a rumor recently that The World Ends With You 2 would be at E3? I originally assumed it would be 3DS game (if at all true) because of the touchscreen controls, but it now seems the sequel doesn't have to be a handheld game anymore... lol

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

bidaum said:
I prefer dual analogue to the pointer myself (even having come from a PC fps background), but if this thread is any indication I recognize I'm in the minority.
You can prefer it all you want, the fact is that it is less quick than DA. Same thing as KBM vs Wiimote or DA.

1-D_FTW

TruePrime said:
I am just fine thinking about the system being PS3/Xbox360 type power, HD Zelda and Mario along with a hopefully a Dolphin like SM would be good.

Them dropping the pointer for Dual Analog though would make me reconsider getting it. Prime 3 is my favorite shooter specifically because how easy it was to just move threw the world, if I need to something up to the right, a quick flick it was shot down, my camara never having to chage or me slowing down at all.

I don't think you have to worry about Retro. I'm sure they'll have an advanced control scheme that lets you use both.

It's whether or not the third parties will take the lazy way out and just offer dual stick schemes in their ports and call it a day.

StevieP

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
You can prefer it all you want, the fact is that it is less quick than DA. Same thing as KBM vs Wiimote or DA.

You mean less quick than Wiimote. KBM >>>> Wiimote >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DA.

I'm sure they'll have an advanced control scheme that lets you use both.

If it's not in the box, it won't take off.

bidaum

CoffeeJanitor said:
Is DA less quick from a hardware standpoint, or is just faster for the arm/wrist to adjust with the pointer? (no sarcasm, actually asking)

wsippel said:
YOU MUST PROVIDE ME WITH A SOURCE FOR THIS RUMOUR.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The DS handheld gaming console, released in 2004, is now the hottest-selling portable video game machine. Did the success of the DS influence your design decisions?

Ashida: The DS had a huge impact on the Wii's design. We had the DS on our minds as we worked on the Wii. We thought about copying the DS's touch-panel interface and even came up with a prototype. But then we rejected the idea, since the portable console and the living-room console would have been exactly the same.

It's going to be fascinating to see to what degree they can prevent the gameplay experience from overlapping with the 3DS. The last thing they want is to pit the two machines against each other.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ushojax said:
It's going to be fascinating to see to what degree they can prevent the gameplay experience from overlapping with the 3DS. The last thing they want is to pit the two machines against each other.

Or, you know, they still believe it and the rumours aren't true.

Ushojax said:
Well, at least with the 3DS, it truly will be portable. The Wii2 will probably only transmit data within a couple feet or so.

Olinkstar689

Neo Member
I dont know if this was mentioned before because im not going to read every post on this thread but i remember miyamoto once said that he was to destroy the belief that console games needed to be hooked up to televisions. This would make the rumors more likely seeing as there should be a possibility for some of these games to be streamed to the controller without ever having to have the console hooked up to the television. people could say why would u not want to play on a bigger tv but how about when we want to bring our system to a family or friends house who might not have a available tv. what about if a family only owns one tv and it is already being used by another family member. there really is a lot you could do with the screen

1-D_FTW

Dissonance said:
I think it would make if they're making it backwards compatible with Wii games. Or am I asking too much? :(

Not from a chipset POV. The question becomes whether they want to clutter the box up with all those controller ports/mem cart slots again. Wii already uses SD/wireless so it's not taking any physical space by including it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sorry if old. Noticed this new patent from Nintendo, filed August last year.

It seems to use Pikmin a lot as an example.

It ostensibly describes a system embodiment that is DS style (the embodied apparatus is explicitly shown as a DS), but is subsequently entirely preoccupied with mappings from a touchscreen. I thought the Pikmin-esque examples were interesting given rumours of a Pikmin for Wii HD, and that the stuff described could be as relevant to a second touch screen on a controller as on a DS.

Anyways, maybe reading too much into it, but take it for what you will.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20110092284.pdf

Dascu

wsippel said:
http://twitter.com/#!/RogersBase/status/60853533662121984

That one? I have no idea how credible that source is.

Edit: Seems he's ex-GAF member "Wii Will Rock U"? Ehh. Speaking of that, whatever happened to "grandjedi6"? Haven't seen him in a while.

Olinkstar689 said:
I dont know if this was mentioned before because im not going to read every post on this thread but i remember miyamoto once said that he was to destroy the belief that console games needed to be hooked up to televisions. This would make the rumors more likely seeing as there should be a possibility for some of these games to be streamed to the controller without ever having to have the console hooked up to the television. people could say why would u not want to play on a bigger tv but how about when we want to bring our system to a family or friends house who might not have a available tv. what about if a family only owns one tv and it is already being used by another family member. there really is a lot you could do with the screen
I think Sony will probably re-pursue the RemotePlay functionality for PSP2 as a result if this is true.

1-D_FTW said:
Not from a chipset POV. The question becomes whether they want to clutter the box up with all those controller ports/mem cart slots again. Wii already uses SD/wireless so it's not taking any physical space by including it.

It won't need the controller ports since if the new console has all of the buttons the old Cube controller had. They only obstacle would be the memory cards, which I'm not sure how they would allow you to port your old saves over if there aren't Cube memory card slots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
CoffeeJanitor said:
This is way too much of a clusterfuck to be true. Plus it's kotaku.

Meh, not really. Basically saying backwards compatible with current controller and will support new.

wsippel

Banned
Dascu said:

Me neither. If I was sure it was credible, I probably would have made a thread.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dascu said:

Edit: Seems he's ex-GAF member "Wii Will Rock U"? Ehh. Speaking of that, whatever happened to "grandjedi6"? Haven't seen him in a while.

If it's WWRU I don't know if I'd trust him. His "leaks" pertaining to HeartGold/SoulSilver were 100% wrong.

majortom1981 said:
here is a part of one of the patent images. its an upgraded sensor bar with led lights on the top part that display colors. sort of like that tv . This patent is where i think people mistake it for screens on the controllers.

I can post more images if people want (this can all be found at the uspto website.)

Dude, you need to stop. How the fuck would people confuse a blinking light with a screen on a controller? Every major site is reporting a screen on the controller from their developer sources. It's happening.

Captain Chaos said:
The total screen size of both 3DS screens is 6.55 inch.

I'm not sure you can do that without specifying an aspect ratio (seeing as they're different widths), but something that fits inside the silhoette of any opened DS seems possible to me, as long as it's a portrait screen.

DSi XL would be 6.06 inches if you moved the two screens together.

Graphics Horse said:
I'm not sure you can do that without specifying an aspect ratio, but something that fits inside the silhoette of any opened DS seems possible to me, as long as it's a portrait screen.

How about controls are actually the wii remote plus and 3ds, maybe this 5th May shop update is connected.

Leaves Nintendo with a lot of money to spend on the significantly more powerful then PS3 and x360 cafe hardware?

RPGCrazied

What are the odds of them not saying anything at E3? :lol Maybe a just, "yeah we having one coming, but we aren't talking about it yet".

wsippel

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
What are the odds of them not saying anything at E3? :lol Maybe a just, "yeah we having one coming, but we aren't talking about it yet".
Possible. On the other hand, Sam Kennedy and IGN's Fran said it's expected to launch in the first half of 2012, at least in Japan. If that's the case, even an announcement at this year's E3 seems a bit late. I personally almost expect an announcement within the next five days.

I think they have to say something. What do they have other than the 3DS? Sure, Zelda SS, but other than that they don't have any fucking Wii games coming out. Are they going to just quit on the Wii without mentioning something for the public to look forward to? That doesn't seem like a good idea to me (I don't know shit, tbh), so I just don't see how they won't show it at E3. Unless they unveil a shit load of new Wii games at E3 for the rest of the year.

ReyVGM

wsippel said:
Possible. On the other hand, Sam Kennedy and IGN's Fran said it's expected to launch in the first half of 2012, at least in Japan. If that's the case, even an announcement at this year's E3 seems a bit late. I personally almost expect an announcement within the next five days.

There is an announcement this Tuesday....

RPGCrazied said:

The pessimist in me says it's a definite possibility. I remember being hyped for the Revolution unveil, which turned out to be "here's a black box, kinda small, plays old games" and that's it.

Now, there was still another E3 before the launch, so it has everything to do with the release date.

I would also assume that they *could* be more likely to show something sooner if the rumors are on target or at least close, but who knows.

RPGCrazied said:

Given the amout of gossip, it doesn't seem likely. Would be funny though.

Captain Chaos said:
How about controls are actually the wii remote plus and 3ds, maybe this 5th May shop update is connected.

I did wonder if the shop update was involved in some weird way. They should make more money selling extra controllers than they'd save by not developing a new one, but 3DS might have some connection, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom