• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
RPGCrazied said:
What are the odds of them not saying anything at E3? :lol Maybe a just, "yeah we having one coming, but we aren't talking about it yet".

Not very likely. Wii sales in Japan have tanked. The sooner this thing comes out the better.

Zeal

Banned
wsippel said:
Possible. On the other hand, Sam Kennedy and IGN's Fran said it's expected to launch in the first half of 2012, at least in Japan. If that's the case, even an announcement at this year's E3 seems a bit late. I personally almost expect an announcement within the next five days.
oh there's gonna be an E3 blowout hardcore. i expect it to be the main focus.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ReyVGM said:
There is an announcement this Tuesday....

Nothing's been confirmed.

Nothing.

The only scraps we have officially to go on are:

1. Retro is hiring for Nintendo's next console
2. Miyamoto said they're working on a new console

But Nintendo has said they begin work on a new console shortly after the current one comes out. So neither of those are really useful.

For all we know, the investor meeting will be 100% charts and stock talk. E3 2011 will come and go without a single mention. 2011 will end before any official info bubbles up.

wsippel

Banned
megashock5 said:
The pessimist in me says it's a definite possibility. I remember being hyped for the Revolution unveil, which turned out to be "here's a black box, kinda small, plays old games" and that's it.

Now, there was still another E3 before the launch, so it has everything to do with the release date.

I would also assume that they *could* be more likely to show something sooner if the rumors are on target or at least close, but who knows.
That's exactly my point. If they really plan, or at the very least consider to release the system in roughly 12 months, this is the only E3 they have. That's why I kinda expect an announcement and maybe even some initial impressions within the next few days (most likely Tuesday, possibly as early as tomorrow), and a blowout at E3.

ReyVGM

Andrex said:

Nothing.

But Nintendo has said they begin work on a new console shortly after the current one comes out. So neither of those are really useful.

For all we know, the investor meeting will be 100% charts and stock talk. E3 2011 will come and go without a single mention. 2011 will end before any official info bubbles up.

There's definitely official news coming this Tuesday from that investors meeting, but the blowout will of course be on the E3.

Bentendo

Andrex said:

Nothing.

But really, let's be honest. Isn't that what everyone here wants? I know I'll be staying up til 3 specifically to bury myself in all of these beautiful charts that Nintendo will deliver.

swerve

Yeah I don't know why this happens every time - yes I do... people want to believe...

...but without reliable sources it's better to assume that there is a long wait, and then be pleasantly surprised rather than assume that a streaming conference is happening to reveal a new console next week.

AFAIK there is *no* source for anything other than 'nintendo has their end of year meeting next tuesday', right?

Graphics Horse said:
Given the amout of gossip, it doesn't seem likely. Would be funny though.

I did wonder if the shop update was involved in some weird way. They should make more money selling extra controllers than they'd save by not developing a new one, but 3DS might have some connection, perhaps.

They'd make a lot of money selling 3DS's as controllers?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ReyVGM said:
There's definitely official news coming this Tuesday from that investors meeting, but the blowout will of course be on the E3.

"Definitely"? No.

"Somewhat likely"? Yes, if the rumors are actually true.

It'll probably the same deal as when they announced the 3DS last year. A brief PR blurb mentioning the name or code name, and if we're lucky, confirming the controller screen. That's the absolute maximum I would expect if we get news on Tuesday.

Nintendo's 3DS announcement on March 23, 2010:

YI9s5.jpg

This is all we'll probably get.

Woffls

Was this already posted? Posted within the last 10 minutes on IGN. Obviously it's as unfounded as everything else we've heard.

Project Cafe: The Tech Behind Nintendo's Next Console
New pricing, hardware, design, and release information uncovered.

"According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail cost of anywhere between $350 and $400, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November."

"Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Captain Chaos said:
But that was totally out of the blue, too much chatter around for the same simple press release this time around.

Lol, are we talking about the same company here?

Andrex said:
"Definitely"? No.

It'll probably the same deal as when they announced the 3DS last year. A brief PR blurb mentioning the name or code name, and if we're lucky, confirming the controller screen. This is all we'll probably get.

I'd love to get a name. Really hope they don't just go with, "Our next console..."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Woffls said:
Was this already posted? Posted within the last 10 minutes on IGN. Obviously it's as unfounded as everything else we've heard.

"According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail cost of anywhere between $350 and $400, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November."

"Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature."

Basically corroborating 01net's info, but shame they don't have much new on the spec end (higher PPC clock aside).

I hope 'Stream' isn't the name though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gofreak said:
Basically corroborating 01net's info, but shame they don't have much new on the spec end (higher PPC clock aside).

A Stream of Wii.

wsippel

Banned
Andrex said:
"Definitely"? No.

It'll probably the same deal as when they announced the 3DS last year. A brief PR blurb mentioning the name or code name, and if we're lucky, confirming the controller screen. That's the absolute maximum I would expect if we get news on Tuesday.

Nintendo's 3DS announcement on March 23, 2010:

This is all we'll probably get.
They didn't invite analysts and promised them hands on time with the 3DS back in March 2010, though. It seems they did just that for the event next week. Not to mention analysts are usually terrible at keeping their mouths shut, and Nintendo most likely knows that. That's why analysts usually get to see the stuff after it has been revealed to the public.

Woffls said:

Yeesh, hope that the price and size suggested aren't accurate. The R700 wouldn't be a great GPU choice, either, if I'm following this correctly.

BY2K

Membero Americo
In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

Oh dear God, yes.

TONS of new details from IGN:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

- Retail cost between $350-400
- Manufacturing to begin this Oct.-Nov. with Winter as the earliest release, but likely to wait until 2012 to build up stock
- Based on revamped version of AMD's R700
- custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, clocked higher than that of 360
- potential for stereoscopic 3D
- In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
- given the power of the system, could feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit
- "Stream" is being considered as a final name
- Nintendo, of course, declined comment

EDIT: Fuck, beaten again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Woffls said:

Sounds about right. Love the name "Stream."

Disappointed at the high price, but possibly holiday 2011? YES PLEASE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Andrex said:
A Stream of Wii.

I thought of that after I posted :p Could be fitting in that respect...but honestly it seems a bit too literal, and too much emphasis on one feature that should almost be a side-show IMO.

Krowley

gofreak said:

I think that bit of news might be big enough to update the OP, since it is basically telling us exactly what to expect in terms of graphics capability.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
majortom1981 said:
here is a part of one of the patent images. its an upgraded sensor bar with led lights on the top part that display colors. sort of like that tv . This patent is where i think people mistake it for screens on the controllers.

I can post more images if people want (this can all be found at the uspto website.)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3280/lightst.jpg[IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]
Doesn't mean much. Not every single patent is filed for actual products planned for release, and even when they are the images usually have little to do with the final product. They're just images meant to explain the patented concept, they are not supposed to show the product's actual design.

Plinko

So basically PS3.5 in terms of graphics?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gofreak said:
I thought of that after I posted :p Could be fitting in that respect...but honestly it seems a bit too literal, and too much emphasis on one feature that should almost be a side-show IMO.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that won't be the final name. Who knows though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Krowley said:
I think that bit of news might be big enough to update the OP, since it is basically telling us exactly what to expect in terms of graphics capability.

It does and it doesn't...it's not really much more than 01net reported on the GPU side, although I guess 'more powerful than RSX' is something more to go by. How much more powerful is the question.

[Nintex]

Jikagi said:
I don't think it'll be $350-400, but $300. It doesn't seem like Nintendo to release the system at that high cost.
$349 with a packed in game/build in software would be my guess. Get it out by holiday 2011 and there would be no new other hardware launch to compete with.

- In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)

This goes against every single thing Iwata has said in every interview regarding the Wii design and home console design in general. Finding these latest rumors from IGN a bit hard to believe.

Andrex said:
The manly American version I hope. The thing will be a beast.

The American SNES was an abomination, it looked like it was dropped in a car crusher( & thats not even going into ugly colour scheme).

Reading the IGN article, I hope they are wrong, it sounds like a terrible move by Nintendo.

Blog post from Scott Lowe (IGN Gear Editor) about why you should trust his sources:

With the deluge of information leaking out in regards to Nintendo's Project Cafe/Wii 2, many are bound to wonder who these mysterious tipsters are. We, of course, can't say, but I wanted to comment more directly on the matter of today's post, Project Cafe: The Tech Behind Nintendo's Next Console.

What it really comes down to is trust. You trust IGN as a reputable resource for gaming news, features, and reviews, and we do everything we can to maintain and preserve your trust. Though some may claim otherwise, every story published citing an anonymous source is based on information we believe to be credible and true from reliable, trusted sources. If a story or tip seems flimsy, we don't run it, or do our best to indicate when a story seems questionable.

It is also important to keep in mind that information, specifically that which pertains to pre-release technology, is always subject to change. While the information we receive may be true at the time it is given, manufacturers may change their plans drastically before public release, which we also make an effort to emphasize.

I, of course, would love to explain why I know the information we received about the Wii 2/Project Cafe is legitimate, allowing you to share my excitement for knowing it to be true, but I can't.

You just have to trust me. I won't steer you wrong.
I know a lot of people around here hate IGN (and it certainly has its flaws) but I trust that they at least believe these rumors to be true.

[Nintex] said:
$349 with a packed in game/build in software would be my guess. Get it out by holiday 2011 and there would be no new other hardware launch to compete with.

Plus if the rumors about the console coming with two different, totally unique, kinds of controllers are true, it wouldn't be a bad deal. Especially if it really is like a PS3.5.

Gvaz

Banned
JazzmanZ said:
The problem with releasing a new console in 2011 is it will overshadow 3DS and its content.
The markets aren't even close to similar. Nothing particularly bad would happen, other than people not buying it since they just spent money on a 3DS. Release it for xmas however...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom