• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black-Wind said:
Yeah, dude fucking crushed me with the "Pokemon can breed features like NE Pichu".

It makes so much sense and GF will never do it but now, because of him, I want it to happen. :mad:

Plus that whole TopHatProfessor thing, where he tried to get e-fame from lying. Dunno what he was thinking.

IGN seems to be pulling crap out of their ass with these latest rumors, none of it save for the price seem believable. It sounds like the wishlist of gaf to me more then anything else.

Call me gullible but I'm totally giving IGN the benefit of the doubt on this one. Everything they've said seems believable and I don't think they would risk their reputation
I know, I know, "what reputation?"
over something this big.

JasonMCG said:
Has anyone considered the possibility that this is mostly bullshit from IGN to gain readership?

IGN gets enough hits as it is. If they were to do that it would only hurt them in the long run. It would be incredibly stupid on their part. Of course, it is possible that some people who work there are incredibly stupid as well.

CoffeeJanitor said:
IGN is not credible, at all, especially considering their few Nintendo journalists (who were good back in the day) are now all gone (outside of Craig).

15000+ Wish I could find that guy now who said it wouldn't even come close!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gofreak said:
Given the described CPU, or what we might surmise about it, it'd need a very powerful GPU and a pretty big chunk of RAM to balance out at half or three-quarters a generational step. I'm thinking it might have 2x the GPU power, but I doubt that would get us halfway between a PS3 and PS4 (even if Sony's relatively conservative). How much more powerful do you think the GPU here will be?

I think it'll be fairly powerful, the GameCube had a fantastic one if I remember correctly. Besides that I think it will be extremely dev-friendly.

JasonMCG said:
Has anyone considered the possibility that this is mostly bullshit from IGN to gain readership?

Of course it's bullshit. IGN's been dead wrong about the 3DS's specs, and chances are they're dead wrong about Cafe.

BY2K

Membero Americo
mj1108 said:
Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was just for some hits.

They just outright told us they are right and that we should 100% trust them on those info, for them it's as good as confirmed.

If it turns out to be bullshit, the backlash would be horrible. They will lost ANY credibility they have last (if any.)

Shiggy

GDGF said:
Hope it looks more like the Super Famicom than the Super NES...

SFC.system-thumb.jpg

huh?
SNES.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cow Mengde said:
Of course it's bullshit. IGN's been dead wrong about the 3DS's specs, and chances are they're dead wrong about Cafe.

I'd love a link to this, if you have it.

Door2Dawn said:
No. DON'T come out this year. The 3DS needs time to grow.

It does, but I'm just absolutely salivating at the thought of an HD Smash Bros. or Zelda. I know we won't get them anytime soon, but it's enough to get me incredibly excited.

I would like to see the 3DS start picking up steam here though, I agree. I just got one last week so it would be in my best interest. :)

JGS

Banned
This thing would have to be huge and expensive so I'm not doubting IGN too much on this one.

The more i hear about it, the more I think this is the secondary system with them plugging away on Wii product- The Ipad vs. Iphone with them getting the revenue from both.

I have no doubts they'll kill the Wii when demand subsides, but it has to go down a whole lot before that happens. It still is by and large a hit (Even if they just rely on Xmas sales)and because of that I don't see them have the price too low on this one.

Triple core power PC and Ati R700 means It is perfect to receive upgraded ports from 360 with PC like graphics.
It looks like a tactical move to me. Nintendo will have two or three years having best version of whatever multiplatform game is released for the 360.

Retro

Just speculating and putting another STOP WITH THE TERRIBLE MOCKUPS in this thread.

What if the controller has a sort of 'backwards clamshell' design, similar to the DS's top screen on a hinge, but facing OUT when 'closed' against the back of the controller?

IpbqY.jpg

In this way, when 'closed', the screen faces outward, away from you, sort of like the NGP's backwards-facing touch pad (when in this mode, the screen is still touch responsive if needed but the screen is dark). It would tuck into the center of the controller, hiding the battery pack, for instance.

When 'open', the screen rotates up 180 degrees and is now facing towards the player, but because the hinge is set in the middle and away from the controller, the screen doesn't get in the way.

Not sure I explained it well, but I'm heading out the door.

antonz

A mid level R700 GPU is gonna be insanely more powerful than this gens HD machines. the 360 GPU does something like 240 GLOPs. Midrange R700 can do 960 GFLOPs. High end R700does 1200-2400 GLOPS.

Thats all stock cards that arent upgraded for console use

wrowa

350$ to 400$ and as big as an original Xbox 360 sounds strange, considering that the speculated GPU and CPU seem to be rather old already.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Any word on storage? USB support?

Nothing's really a given, including these:

- Blu-ray drive
- Hard drive
- Strong voice-chat support

Etc. A lot of things are still up in the air for Nintendo to trip over. ;)

Cow Mengde said:

I'll still believe IGN before I believe Paul Fail or whoever the fuck.

I'd believe Game Informer before IGN, of course.

I don't see what they could be doing inside the machine that makes it as big as the original 360. The R700 and processor can't possibly take up that much space/need that much cooling, could they?

Baki

Door2Dawn said:
Wait, THIS year? What the hell?

It definitely won't hit this year simply because there won't be any launch software. Spring 2012 the earliest (I suspect that it will slip into fall 2012).

Andrex said:
$250 for a handheld is way more unacceptable to me than a $400 console.
This isn't a personal equation here. The mass market price for personal electronics is generally $200. I'm not saying "Well, it differs from person to person so there's no real consensus!" That's the general consensus right there.

You can go $50 over at launch and it gives you breathing room for stimulating price drops and extra profit from launch buyers without being an overly offensive price. You may disagree because you're one of the people (which would include most everyone on this board) that tracks and remembers handheld gaming console prices over the last twenty years.

The point is, $250 is not as absurd as everyone wants to believe. $400 is. Drawing some sort of equivalency between them seems to be more being generally upset at the former price than actual rationality.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Baki said:
It definitely won't hit this year simply because there won't be any launch software. Spring 2012 the earliest (I suspect that it will slip into fall 2012).

I agree. Although, the initial rumors did say they were targeting Summer 2012.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Lmao at all the gaffers calling everyone morons for even considering a holiday 2011 release. It's looking possible now.

antonz

Baki said:
They could easily launch this fall with a ton of software considering Devs have had kits since around December.

Its called a Multiplatform launch where the main drive is a new console stealing sales because people want software for their shiny new toy.

The issue Nintendo has is do they wanna have a supply issue. Surplus stock for the 3DS has been nothing but bad news for them.

Baki said:

Unless porting is easy annnnnnd...

This could be like twilight princess. Available on Wii and Wii2 in HD!

Skyward Sword in HD would be sick.

Fou-Lu

I'm starting my first year of university this fall... Scratch that new bed parents of mine, I just want whatever Nintendo is making next, I'll sleep on the floor!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
This isn't a personal equation here. The mass market price for personal electronics is generally $200. I'm not saying "Well, it differs from person to person so there's no real consensus!" That's the general consensus right there.

You can go $50 over at launch and it gives you breathing room for stimulating price drops and extra profit from launch buyers without being an overly offensive price. You may disagree because you're one of the people (which would include most everyone on this board) that tracks and remembers handheld gaming console prices over the last twenty years.

The point is, $250 is not as absurd as everyone wants to believe. $400 is. Drawing some sort of equivalency between them seems to be more being generally upset at the former price than actual rationality.

I don't think that's the case. 3DS sales have been somewhat lackluster, while the Xbox 360 was able to gain a lot of ground at a $400 price point. So did the PS3 when it dropped to $400.

$600 is outrageous. But $400 isn't, although I would say it's the ceiling for reasonable new console prices.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
For those flipping out about the 350-400 price tag:

Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Like we were saying half jokingly in this thread 100 pages back or so, what if Nintendo showed off Battlefield 3 on the console at E3 and launched the system during the fall/winter? The definitive console version of BF3, only on the Nintendo Stream. ;)

Woffls

It does seem cannibalistic for N6 an 3DS to share their first holiday on the shelves. The only way I can see it working positively is if 3DS and N6 have some very direct compatability, and 3DS being a controller for N6 would support that. The only thing holding it back in that regard is the lack of a second analogue stick, and 2 more buttons. I think 3DS will be used to stream Virtual Console games, and maybe some other features, but it can't really be used for normal N6 games if it's lacking inputs.

Not bothered about the name, it sounds less dumb than Wii did at the time, so I think saying that it's going to have a negative effect on the console is a bit.... Xstream... yeah...yeah? No. :( God that song was annoying.

rpmurphy

CoffeeJanitor said:
IGN is not credible, at all, especially considering their few Nintendo journalists (who were good back in the day) are now all gone (outside of Craig).
Craig is not with IGN anymore.
Edit: Nvm, beaten. This thread.

Woffls said:
It does seem cannibalistic for N6 an 3DS to share their first holiday on the shelves. The only way I can see it working positively is if 3DS and N6 have some very direct compatability, and 3DS being a controller for N6 would support that. The only thing holding it back in that regard is the lack of a second analogue stick, and 2 more buttons. I think 3DS will be used to stream Virtual Console games, and maybe some other features, but it can't really be used for normal N6 games if it's lacking inputs.

Not bothered about the name, it sounds less dumb than Wii did at the time, so I think saying that it's going to have a negative effect on the console is a bit.... Xstream... yeah...yeah? No. :( God that song was annoying.
The Gamecube and GBA launched in the same year. GBA in June '01, Gamecube in November. I still haven't heard anyone mention why this potential situation is any different.

Michan

Woffls said:

Their next home console won't be out this Christmas, no matter what the rumours tell us. This is the company that delays flagship titles, keeping them in the vault just so they have breathing room.

E3 will be all about 3DS, with a sneak peak of what we can expect next. They won't reveal it all, but they'll show enough to satiate our desire, as early adopters, of the next thing.
The_Darkest_Red said:
The Gamecube and GBA launched in the same year. GBA in June '01, Gamecube in November. I still haven't heard anyone mention why this potential situation is any different.
And GameCube was an unprecedented success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom