• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
From The Dust said:
At $300-$400, Nintendo is going have to put a good bit in there to get consumers to bite.

I'm ready to shell out $400 for a beastly Nintendo console. Mario and Zelda in 1080p, fuck yeah!

_Alkaline_ said:
If this console lacks pointer controls, I'll consider not buying it. Aside from the Galaxy games, pointer controls were the best thing to come out of the Wii.

Could you imagine having to go back to analogue controls for Sin and Punishment 3?

Not that we'd have to worry about it.

Don't play with my emotions man!

JGS

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
$400 yes, $300 is Xbox+Kinect price, no?
Is the primary 360 the cheapest one? I thought the one with the right hard drive was 400 anyway.

I don't see this thing being less than 350-400 imo.

JGS said:
Is the primary 360 the cheapest one? I thought the one with the right hard drive was 400 anyway.

Yep, but I guess that might have got cheaper once the Cafe releases.

From The Dust said:
I guess the new controller is a counterpoint to Kinect. But I can so see some thinking it's a step backward.

The new controller is a counterpoint to YOU!
Actually that's not catchy.

You are the counterpoint.

Graphics Horse said:
The new controller is a counterpoint to YOU!
Actually that's not catchy.

You are the counterpoint.
Which is why some some could say, "we are going back to controllers? The xbox can do NO controllers," and go with the xbox instead.

Then again, I have the tendency to factor in too many variables :lol

1-D_FTW

JGS said:

I don't see this thing being less than 350-400 imo.

199.99 for the Base without hard drive.

299.99 For Base with Kinect/or Hardrive without Kinect.

399.99 for Hard drive and Kinect.

From The Dust said:
Which is why some some could say, "we are going back to controllers? The xbox can do NO controllers," and go with the xbox instead.

Then again, I have the tendency to factor in too many variables :lol

Well it's true, a lot of people might prefer to stick with Kinect despite the software, there's not a lot they can do about that without going the same way. But if they do throw in a smaller motion controller/penmote, and get Ubisoft onboard with Just Dance 3, they might not have too much of a problem.

wsippel

Banned
Just a thought: Assuming the thing really is as big as a first generation Xbox360, and assuming that, despite the codename, it won't have an integrated a coffee maker, that would only make sense if it needs some massive cooling. And you only need massive cooling if you use powerful hardware.

swerve

I don't think price is an issue. Nintendo is a maker of premium game content for which many millions of people will pay. Having a system which also plays Call of Duty will just be icing on the cake. There are *MANY* people who don't yet have an HD system, still.

Mrbob

wsippel said:
Just a thought: Assuming the thing really is as big as a first generation Xbox360, and assuming that, despite the codename, it won't have an integrated a coffee maker, that would only make sense if it needs some massive cooling. And you only need massive cooling if you use powerful hardware.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Don't give up hope on the built in coffee maker though!

I don't think price is an issue. Nintendo is a maker of premium game content for which many millions of people will pay. Having a system which also plays Call of Duty will just be icing on the cake. There are *MANY* people who don't yet have an HD system, still.

PS3 and 360 are over 50 million each now so it isn't like the number is insignificant. We also have the PC.

Shiggy

For some reason Project Cafe does not seem to offer anything that made the Wii successful. Why would the casual crowd return to a classic controller?

I'd be pretty angry if the new Pikmin game does not have any pointer functionality ...

Shiggy said:
For some reason Project Cafe does not seem to offer anything that made the Wii successful. Why would the casual crowd return to a classic controller?

I'd be pretty angry if the new Pikmin game does not have any pointer functionality ...
I'm sure it will at least support Wii controllers. Some new games may even have options that allow them to be played that way.

About the pointer controls, how accurate woe using the touchscreen be compared to the pointer? Something like the DS/3DS. I think it could be a decent replacement. The only problem is having access to less buttons

JGS

Banned
Shiggy said:

The casual crowd will stick with the lower price Wii and upgrade to Cafe rather than an 360 as the kids get older or the adults latch onto more substantial games not made by Nintendo since they will never have a steady stream again imo. There's too many platforms to consider.

Since it's BC, they can have mature games and the party games that still look pretty darn cute in HD when there's a party. It's a win/win until the Cafe cannibalizes the Wii sales which should be the goal. Wii will be around for several more years especially if they just do a lttle HiDef upgrade.

_Alkaline_ said:
I feel like I'm saying this all the time these days, but this hardcore/casual labelling is one of the worst things to grace this industry over the last decade. It's the new kiddy, but even less precise and even more elitist.
If we keep calling people out around here I think people will slowly realize how silly the terms are.

farnham

Banned
JGS said:
The casual crowd will stick with the lower price Wii and upgrade to Cafe rather than an 360 as the kids get older or the adults latch onto more substantial games not made by Nintendo since they will never have a steady stream again imo. There's too many platforms to consider.

Since it's BC, they can have mature games and the party games that still look pretty darn cute in HD when there's a party. It's a win/win until the Cafe cannibalizes the Wii sales which should be the goal. Wii will be around for several more years especially if they just do a lttle HiDef upgrade.

in other words the cafe is just another gamecube

its a terrible idea tbh

1-D_FTW

Shiggy said:

Why would the casual crowd return to Wii 2?

Motion controls in the casual space has been ceded to Kinect. Is doing Kinect 20 percent better going to change the game?

iOS also has a huge chunk of the casual crowd. The casual market has become an incredibly fierce market.

Plus, nobody knows just how creative they're going to get with the streaming on controllers. It seems awfully expensive to expect a family to have 4 of these controllers lying around, but maybe they'll be some compelling reasons to do it.

Regardless, status quo was not going to make Wii 2 a runaway hit. And even if they do release an uber console and it's not Wii like in sales, that doesn't make it a failure. The market has changed and they needed to recalibrate expectations. Uber console was the only void in the market currently.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
wsippel said:
Nintendo sure seems to love compact machines with low power consumption. If the case is indeed supposed to be this big, it must be because they were unable to make it any smaller.

Mrbob said:
Don't give up hope on the built in coffee maker though!
A hardcore-oriented machine needs one!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Shiggy said:

Me too. I still have a hard time believing any of these unless the controller breaks apart for motion-control gaming and pointer functionality like the Wii.

farnham

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

Motion controls in the casual space has been ceded to Kinect. Is doing Kinect 20 percent better going to change the game?

iOS also has a huge chunk of the casual crowd. The casual market has become an incredibly fierce market.

Plus, nobody knows just how creative they're going to get with the streaming on controllers. It seems awfully expensive to expect a family to have 4 of these controllers lying around, but maybe they'll be some compelling reasons to do it.

Regardless, status quo was not going to make Wii 2 a runaway hit. And even if they do release an uber console and it's not Wii like in sales, that doesn't make it a failure. The market has changed and they needed to recalibrate expectations. Uber console was the way void in the market currently.
last time i checked kinect did not sell nearly 100 million untis and kinect games did not sell near 20 million units saying that the casual crowd all moved to kinect is ridiculous

JGS

Banned
farnham said:
in other words the cafe is just another gamecube

its a terrible idea tbh
I guess as much as 360 is just an Xbox or the 720 is just a 360.

It's not a bad idea considering that both 360 and PS3 have made it clear they want to extend this generation. It has everything to do with the size of the install base by the time of the new systems. If people stick to buying 360's, then it may not have been that good of an idea.

However, Wii will still be kicking too and Nintendo would have delivered what gamers were asking for...whether the gamers really meant it or are really just fanboys of a particular system.

[Nintex]

1-D_FTW said:

Regardless, status quo was not going to make Wii 2 a runaway hit. And even if they do release an uber console and it's not Wii like in sales, that doesn't make it a failure. The market has changed and they needed to recalibrate expectations. Uber console was the only void in the market currently.
The future on Kinect is mostly tied to the future games for the thing. If Rare(MS's top first party Kinect studio) posts: "We're trickling out these DLC screenshots because we're rather disorganized" on their Twitter I don't think Nintendo has anything to worry about from MS's casual division in the near future really.

agrajag

Banned
It's almost like Nintendo trolled the competition. They lead them to focus on alternative control schemes so now they can reign unchallenged in the traditional control sector -_- Blue Ocean!

I don't get this stance that if someone owns a Kinect or an iPad, Nintendo has lost them as customers.

Maybe they have the ability to own more than one product.

boyshine

The_Darkest_Red said:
I'm sure it will at least support Wii controllers. Some new games may even have options that allow them to be played that way.
But that's where I say "hey, wait a minute!" because I don't want just to be able to use the old controllers, I want a brand new Remote & Nunchuk with enhanced motiontracking, slidepad on the remote and a more stable pointer regardless of light conditions.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
farnham said:
last time i checked kinect did not sell nearly 100 million untis and kinect games did not sell near 20 million units saying that the casual crowd all moved to kinect is ridiculous

Agreed. Just because the market now has Kinect, Ipad, Android, Iphone, etc. with all this casual software doesn't mean a Wii 2 couldn't succeed. Nintendo didn't get lucky with the DS and Wii, they know how to make casual friendly hardware.

If Nintendo was creating a new power glove that was motion-abled to the finger and had Biometric feedback it would be like nothing else and casual friendly as hell. Bundle it with a revamped Wiimote/Nunchuck, Move or Kinect-like camera, HD twin level graphics, and some compelling software. Nintendo would have a shot at having a Wii-type phenomenon again (of course assuming they could price such a thing in the $300-400 range).

agrajag said:
It's almost like Nintendo trolled the competition. They lead them to focus on alternative control schemes so now they can reign unchallenged in the traditional control sector -_- Blue Ocean!

Except third parties are never going to ignore Sony and MS systems like they did the Wii. Nintendo will be challenged in this market if they decide to pursue it.

JGS

Banned
agrajag said:
I'm thinking they will continue to support motion control for the casual audience. It's not like grandpa will start learning anything beyond the Wiimote. Some, like my wife, are content at that level and that's been the money maker for them.

Blue Ocean will be in affect but this is Nintendo also giving into peer pressure. I'm not even sure how seriously they're taking it considering how bad the leaks are this time. I still wouldn't be surprised if they consider this the secondary system used primarily for 3rd party developement to shut them and true gamers up.

boyshine said:
But that's where I say "hey, way a minute!" because I don't want just to be able to use the old controllers, I want a brand new Remote & Nunchuk with enhanced motiontracking, slidepad on the remote and a more stable pointer regardless of light conditions.
I guess it comes down to Nintendo asking the question, "which controller do we want to be the primary controller for this system?" If they want 3rd party support I think the wise answer is obvious.

One of the best ways to get the "hardcore gamers" (God, I hate that term) to buy the system is, as you guys have said, to have a big exclusive FPS game...

And that game would be Half Life 2: Episode 3 as a console exclusive.

Vinci said:
How about we define 'casual' and 'hardcore' the following way, for balance?

CASUALS play games less because they have more important priorities in life than amassing some imaginary binary by which to measure their existence against others'.

HARDCORE think - subsconsciously, at least - that at some point this imaginary number will garner them fame and fortune, though they're unclear of the details how.

What you guys are calling 'casuals' is actually 'expanded market' - these are either people who had never played a game before because games available didn't appeal to them or people who used to play but stopped because game-makers stopped making the types of games they liked (NSMB is an example of this but so is WiiSports).

Hardcore is actually 'Core', these are established consumers. Everyone who was part of the expanded market with Wii is now Core market. So long as those types of games are made they will continue to purchase.

It has nothing to do with how much people play or the types of games - that is a meaningless distinction. Expanded market probably played NSMB just as much as you all played COD. But the market still needs to expand and it and a great target is to reach the old-school gamers who prefer similar themes but less fluff in their games.

JGS

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
One of the best ways to get the "hardcore gamers" (God, I hate that term) to buy the system is, as you guys have said, to have a big exclusive FPS game...

Geist Reboot.

Metroid as a straight up shooter

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Skiesofwonder said:
If Nintendo was creating a new power glove that was motion-abled to the finger and had Biometric feedback it would be like nothing else and casual friendly as hell.

If anyone is going to release a product like that, it will be Nintendo. Give it another 5 years, and maybe the tech will be ready. You would still need some kind of controller to go with the glove, though.

Ulairi

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:

*face palm*

No. Just no.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fernando Rocker said:

It has to be the best version of a FPS like BF3 or COD OR GTA 5 exclusivity AND top-notch online to draw them back.

I'm still puzzled as to how Nintendo is going to revamp their online system. I still have problems seeing the company that insisted on friend codes to protect children turning on a dime and offering an XBOX Live-esque system.

mooreupp

Nintendo is my favorite of the game console makers (have owned every system since NES), but like with the 3DS, if the rumored price points are anywhere close to accurate, I'm passing until the price is much lower. I very much question Nintendo's strategy here. The economy is going to get a lot worse in my opinion and charging more for a new console is risky. On the other hand, I guess if it's accepted they'll sell much less next time, maybe it behooves them to hit the people who are still willing to pay more. I won't be one of them.

luffeN

Didn't most (some?) of you like the controls of Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS with the thumb strap? Now think about using an "index strap" on the touch screen of the controller to control the crosshair. Kind of like using a trackball mouse.

agrajag said:
See, this is why Nintendo can release a really powerful $400 console and still be competitive price-wise.

Except for that fact that MS (and maybe Sony) could very well see a price drop before this holiday season. I'd be surprised, but let's say PS3 hits $199 before Christmas. $399 is going to look nuts next to it.

banKai said:
Didn't most (some?) of you like the controls of Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS with the thumb strap? Now think about using an "index strap" on the touch screen of the controller to control the crosshair. Kind of like using a trackball mouse.

given the size of the controller, you thumb would work as well. in fact, it would prolly work like the second analogue stick but more accurate like the wiimote pointer. I think the problem with MP:H was the small screen. at 6"~6.2", you could eliminate that problem

wsippel

Banned
megashock5 said:
Except for that fact that MS (and maybe Sony) could very well see a price drop before this holiday season. I'd be surprised, but let's say PS3 hits $199 before Christmas. $399 is going to look nuts next to it.
Not if it's "next gen". Which it should be, given the supposed size and price.

[Nintex]

It all depends on the games. Microsoft was able to sell the Xbox 360 with Kinect for $399 this holiday season, actually jacking up the price in certain regions. Nintendo just needs to create a holiday hype and this thing will drive without much competition from anyone. MS has Gears 3, Forza 4 and a possible Halo remake, Sony has Uncharted 3 and a handheld to focus on.

Nintendo is likely counting on the 3DS to rebound once the Zelda's, Mario's, Pokemon arrive and honestly I have little reason to doubt that strategy depsite the wonky launch(that they covered up with Pokemon Black & White).

Dabanton

Fernando Rocker said:

Hysterical.

The big problem is no company is going to take the risk of launching a FPS much less an already established one on a Nintendo platform.

luffeN

From The Dust said:
given the size of the controller, you thumb would work as well. in fact, it would prolly work like the second analogue stick but more accurate like the wiimote pointer. I think the problem with MP:H was the small screen. at 6"~6.2", you could eliminate that problem
Ok, I see, but I think you have more freedom using the index finger. Like the left hand is holding the controller while the right hand freely touches the screen with the index finger.

Edit: Plus you could use the middle and ring finger to push buttons like you would do on an arcade stick.
schuelma said:
Assuming the speculation is reasonably correct, i.e a step up from current gen but not a full generation gap, I think one early key for Nintendo is how exactly 3rd party ports turn out and are positioned.

If 3rd parties literally just port over every current HD game and that is all the system gets for a year, I think Nintendo is really going to struggle in differentiating the new system from PS360. While I'm sure Nintendo thinks the ease of porting HD projects is a significant positive, there is a danger if that is all 3rd parties are providing- it could essentially permanently label the next system as part of *this* generation, and no more.

Now, if there is a mix of pure ports, upgraded ports, and some original stuff that demonstrably looks better, then I think Nintendo is in a good position.

Obviously, a killer game made by Nintendo that blows everything away would help as well.

I think Nintendo has to walk this tightrope very carefully.
Well, they could take the best games of the last 5 years from ps3/360 and ask developers to kind of make a best-of version or a director's cut and sell it at 30 dollars.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Assuming the speculation is reasonably correct, i.e a step up from current gen but not a full generation gap, I think one early key for Nintendo is how exactly 3rd party ports turn out and are positioned.

If 3rd parties literally just port over every current HD game and that is all the system gets for a year, I think Nintendo is really going to struggle in differentiating the new system from PS360. While I'm sure Nintendo thinks the ease of porting HD projects is a significant positive, there is a danger if that is all 3rd parties are providing- it could essentially permanently label the next system as part of *this* generation, and no more.

Now, if there is a mix of pure ports, upgraded ports, and some original stuff that demonstrably looks better, then I think Nintendo is in a good position.

Obviously, a killer game made by Nintendo that blows everything away would help as well.

I think Nintendo has to walk this tightrope very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom